Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I'm sure people complain about this from time to time but screw it I'm gonna rant for a minute.

What the gently caress is with e-shop releases not having videos. Like, seriously.

I'll give the Arcade Archives and ACA Neogeo a pass. Those are old games and whatever, I can look them up on YouTube.

A lot of the time there's a game I have never heard of and since there are so many games put on the shop each week or month, a lot get buried. So when one pops up and it looks interesting, I want to see a trailer. But like half of all the games seem to have none whatsoever. Dream Alone? Musynx? Photo Cube? If the publishers don't care enough to toss up a 30 second clip, then I don't care either. A game has to look really special for me to go on YouTube and find a video. Unless it was a game I was specifically looking for, you've almost definitely lost a sale.

But sometimes even new games lack a video. Is the rush to haphazardly vomit even a big budget title on the eshop so important that even something like Crash or MotoGP or De Blob or The Incredibles don't get one? I am sure there are some kinds of constraints and the developers might get little say or it gets overlooked...I'm sure there are some legit reasons that trailers don't happen. But whatever. Eat my loving rear end, I have enough games to play. Ok rant over lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I've always presumed that it was up to the publisher to provide the media? And that Nintendo only requires at least X number of screenshots but not any video, maybe because content changes and they don't want to blamed for being given old/misleading footage? And then there's some games/publishers where there's a shitload of videos, such as Blaster Master Zero, where each character DLC got its own trailer.

When I got my Swtich in November I recall being impressed that the games had video previews in the shop, but yeah you're right, recently there hasn't been all that many of them among the new releases.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Someone who has knowledge of these things should let me know which Wario games (not WarioWare) starting with Super Mario Land 3 or whatever, are worth playing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

Someone who has knowledge of these things should let me know which Wario games (not WarioWare) starting with Super Mario Land 3 or whatever, are worth playing.

Why not WarioWare?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

Everything from Wario Land 1 to

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Alec Eiffel posted:

Everything except Master of Disguise

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The four main Wario Lands and Shake It are all somewhere between good and fantastic, with 4 probably being the best one. Wario World is unfortunately not great, and Master of Disguise is just straight up bad.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Why not WarioWare?

I already have played and enjoyed a few (GBA OG, Twisted, Smooth Moves). (I thought about getting D.I.Y. or Touched but it looks like a new one is coming out so I’ll wait on that.)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alec Eiffel posted:

I already have played and enjoyed a few (GBA OG, Twisted, Smooth Moves). (I thought about getting D.I.Y. or Touched but it looks like a new one is coming out so I’ll wait on that.)

The new one is a comp of stuff from every WarioWare plus new stuff.

Play every Wario Land game in order but skip Master of Disguise. Wario World is kinda mediocre but it’s short and still worth a play. Everything else is great.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Do you prefer Touched or D.I.Y?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Do you prefer Touched or D.I.Y?

I haven’t played enough DIY to say but Touched owns.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DIY is fantastic but it loses something with the servers down. Its basically Mario Maker but for Warioware games.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Here is the list of must-play Wario games:

Wario Blast
Wario's Woods (SNES)
Virtual Boy Wario Land (on its original hardware)
Mario & Wario (Super Famicon import)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spellman posted:

One of the few good games on that system to be honest.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the GBA Wario is a classic and I won't hear otherwise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Larryb posted:

One of the few good games on that system to be honest.

It’s such a missed opportunity that it wasn’t ported or remade on 3DS.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

homeless snail posted:

DIY is fantastic but it loses something with the servers down. Its basically Mario Maker but for Warioware games.

Wario Waker, the Zelda crossover.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone played Just Shapes & Beats/is it good singleplayer

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
JSaB is a really good musical bullet hell that feels like someone took Super Hexagon and stretched it into a 6 hour game (and I mean that in a good way but ymmv). If you just want the story mode you can blitz through it in about 5-ish hours depending on your skill level and whether or not you make use of casual mode, but afterwards you unlock challenge mode which gives you 3 songs back to back to clear and is probably *intended* to be played with friends but you can totally do it by yourself if you want. It does have online with both friends and randos though if that's your thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks, that sounds pretty cool! I love Super Hexagon and it seems like the kind of thing I'm into, I guess I'll go for it

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Given that it is bullet hell should it only be played with gamers or is it forgiving enough for chill gaming with casuals?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yes and no? You get three hits per life (six with casual mode turned on) and the hitboxes are generally pretty forgiving, plus as long as you touch someone before they drift off-screen you can bring them back (otherwise they come back at the next checkpoint). The game doesn't really care *who* clears a section as long as *someone* clears it, but at the end of the day it still asks you to dodge a bunch of bullet patterns and you'll need folks who are patient enough for that.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Spellman posted:

Don't make people spend a fortune for a system that only has like 5 games worth talking about when emulating it works perfectly in this regard.

That being said its not like i haven't played VB Wario Land on original hardware, but that hardware is 23 years old and doesn't work great.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s not an authentic Wario Land experience without headaches, nausea, and eye-searing pain.

It’s how Wario lives every day of his life.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Spellman posted:

Here is the list of must-play Wario games:

Wario Blast

This is a really great portable bomberman game imo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
wario land 1 is good, virtual boy wario land is more good, wario land 2 is one of the best games on the game boy, wario land 3 is a toilet game, wario land 4 is good, shake it is mediocre

this has been the Ranking Of Warios

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

absolutely anything posted:

wario land 1 is good, virtual boy wario land is more good, wario land 2 is one of the best games on the game boy, wario land 3 is a toilet game, wario land 4 is good, shake it is mediocre

:wrong:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wario Land 3 owns. There are divided stages but it’s like a Metroidvania.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's like a really, really lovely metroidvania

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s good and the world in it is good and weird.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Warioland has this sandbox-like jank to it, that should be utilized

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

warioland 1 has the best music

it is so ominous and odd

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alf_pogs posted:

warioland 1 has the best music

it is so ominous and odd

Everything is off brand bootleg Mario in it. It’s great.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Some of the puzzles in WL8 suck and the Golf game can gently caress right off but otherwise its got nice graphics and a unique system for level progression.

I wouldn't mind another game like it, though WL2 is better honestly.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

This post is true.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/forestillusion/status/987843550640455680?s=21

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Wario Land 4 is the god of all Wario games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Evil Eagle posted:

Wario Land 4 is the god of all Wario games.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

where does Master of Disguise fit in here