Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Firstborn posted:

It was some high quality blank state sort of affair, not a generator. Something that was presumably made by care with hand.

Beaten to it, but it does sound like Hot Springs Island. In order to add useful content, here's a link to a Reddit post by someone who statted all the monsters up for 5E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Undead Hippo posted:

The requirements to add a cleric multiclass are just "Wisdom 13". Something that is very low cost to throw into a build, since wisdom saves are so ubiquitous. You were probably going to be going Wisdom 12 anyway. Adding in the strength to be able to wear heavy armour effectively is probably asking too much, but that isn't the big payload of adding Tempest cleric to the build (Half-plate access is still handy).

The biggest deal is being able to use the Destructive Wrath feature on things like Lightning Bolt, and effectively just delete one entire encounter per day.

I'm aware of the combo: at level 7 you get to deal 48 lightning damage (52 if Blue Draconic) to one or two creatures that fail their saves, once per rest.

It's potent, but hardly going to delete an encounter at that level, and it's gimping a class that already struggles on most things except damage. Armor is good though, and I don't look down at 1-level Cleric dips for Wizards, but two levels on a Storm Sorcerer? Yeah, no.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In the case of Lightning Bolt, I guess it matters if you roll for damage for each creature you strike, or just once and apply it to all creatures in the line, since destructive wrath applies to a single damage roll. Favorable conditions like a tight corridor could utterly wreck an encounter if the former is true.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm aware of the combo: at level 7 you get to deal 48 lightning damage (52 if Blue Draconic) to one or two creatures that fail their saves, once per rest.

Remember, at level 7 you do still have the level 4 spell slot that a normal sorcerer has, as multiclassing with a second full casting class gives you the same spells/day progression. You just don't know level 4 spells yet. I would definitely spend that level 4 slot on the big nuke thing, bumping it up to 54 damage on a failed save, 58 if draconic. Not enough to trash a solo CR7 monster, but if it's a small group it would definitely wreak some havoc. Even at level 3, for your first level of sorcerer, you can throw out a 32 damage chromatic orb once per day, something which the pure tempest cleric can't do, and which is going to severely harm most monsters at that level.

I think there's enough potential there to not just go "This is a dumb idea and you're dumb" to somebody who wants to try it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, I am joining a game where I will be starting out with a Bard. I am thinking of going Glamour, as my last bard was a Lore bard.

I was considering dipping two levels in warlock, to grab eldritch blast + agonizing invocation, so that I can keep up with damage, because my Lore bard turned out to kind of suck at damage, and burned through her spell slots because once thing started to get 2-3 attacks, Vicious Mockery just wasn't holding up.

I will be playing a variant human, and thus also have a feat. Any suggestions for what I should do build wise?

The campaign is mainly going to take place at sea, as we are a privateer crew, so I'm considering picking up armor of shadows from warlock as well, so I can have my stripped down no armor look, without sacrificing AC. Aesthetics are important.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 28, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm running Curse of Strahd for my friends, first time DMing in a long time and first time DMing 5e. I did the tarokka reading with them last session and while they're not the worst I don't love the results:

The Tome, Holy Symbol and Strahds Enemy are all in Krezk. The Tome is in the pool in Krezk, the Symbol is in the Abbey of St Markovia and the Ally is Ezmeralda who the book says should meet them at the Abbey if she is the one chosen. Ezmeralda I can probably just move elsewhere like to Van Richten's tower or Berez or something, but I wish the other two things weren't both in the same city. The sword is in a crypt in Ravenloft and Strahd is in his own crypt so I'm cool with those. I had been debating whether to stack the deck for weeks before we did the drawing and I kind of wish I had. At least everything isn't in Ravenloft. If you got this draw, would you change anything? The good thing is that they've just gotten to Vallaki and have had a poo poo ton of plot hooks dumped on them by asking around so I don't have to worry just yet what they will be doing.

Also is there a template to apply to creatures to make them undead in 5e? I don't want to throw wolves at the party all the time so I was thinking about undead elk or something to mix it up.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Epi Lepi posted:

Also is there a template to apply to creatures to make them undead in 5e? I don't want to throw wolves at the party all the time so I was thinking about undead elk or something to mix it up.

Just give them resistance to necrotic damage, vulnerability to radiant damage, and maybe the zombie ability to maybe stand back up (this makes them more powerful, adjust XP if you do). Bam, undead wolves, undead elks, undead whatever you want.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you're running zombie elks, beef up their hit points a bit and give them Undead Fortitude and immunity to poison.

If you're running skeletal elks, leave their hit points alone but give them Blightsight and immunity to poison, vulnerability to bludgeoning.

If you're running spectral elks, beef up their hit points and give them Incorporeal Movement, resistance against non-magical attacks, and immunities to pretty much everything (including, wait for it, poison). Reflavor their damage as necrotic rather than physical.

If you're running vampire elks, beef up their hit points and give them Regeneration, Spider Climb, resistance against non-magical attacks, a stronger Wisdom saving throw, and a bite attack that recovers health, as well as the standard array of Vampire Weaknesses. They have no particular immunity regarding poison.

All of them (except the skeleton) should have Darkvision. At your option, you can give any of them Sunlight Sensitivity, vulnerability to radiant damage, or resistance to necrotic. If you're running a more difficult game and your players know it, you can make your zombie elks spread disease, your skeletal elks reassemble themselves after defeat, and your spectral elks siphon life force.

For any other creature, replace "Elk" with the noun of your choice, though if its a powerful creature you may consider leaving their hit points alone. As a point of reference, a single spectral elk would likely be a CR1 or 2 all by itself. Vampire elks will be stronger, zombie and skeletal elks will be weaker.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
The concept of elks with Spider Climb is honestly a bit terrifying. Hooves shouldn't do that. :stonk:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If vampires couldn't walk on walls nobody would want to become one.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Circutron posted:

The concept of elks with Spider Climb is honestly a bit terrifying. Hooves shouldn't do that. :stonk:

Their center of gravity would be too far away from the wall if they stood normally. So would they spread their legs out as far as they could to walk on walls, or wrap their legs behind them and scurry up with their back to the wall?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Naelyan posted:

Their center of gravity would be too far away from the wall if they stood normally. So would they spread their legs out as far as they could to walk on walls, or wrap their legs behind them and scurry up with their back to the wall?
Definitely the latter. Also using their antlered head as fifth leg.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Valentin posted:

Haven't used it at all, but this sounds like Hot Springs Island?

Exactly it, thank you

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Naelyan posted:

Go full on Deadite with it. Just a horrible writhing mass of limbs crawling up the wall and once on a horizontally flat surface they spring up stiff like a taxidermied corpse.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm running Curse of Strahd for my friends, first time DMing in a long time and first time DMing 5e. I did the tarokka reading with them last session and while they're not the worst I don't love the results:

The Tome, Holy Symbol and Strahds Enemy are all in Krezk. The Tome is in the pool in Krezk, the Symbol is in the Abbey of St Markovia and the Ally is Ezmeralda who the book says should meet them at the Abbey if she is the one chosen. Ezmeralda I can probably just move elsewhere like to Van Richten's tower or Berez or something, but I wish the other two things weren't both in the same city. The sword is in a crypt in Ravenloft and Strahd is in his own crypt so I'm cool with those. I had been debating whether to stack the deck for weeks before we did the drawing and I kind of wish I had. At least everything isn't in Ravenloft. If you got this draw, would you change anything? The good thing is that they've just gotten to Vallaki and have had a poo poo ton of plot hooks dumped on them by asking around so I don't have to worry just yet what they will be doing.

You could keep the readings as is, but when they get to one of those results, have a deus ex machina thing where something runs off to another location of your choosing. It's the Demiplane of Dread, so you could lean into it with a malevolent spirit or one of the wereravens or something popping up out of nowhere and teleporting/flying away.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I was wondering why is lore bard considered so good? Also are the UA bard schools any good?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I mean, you get to pick from all the spell lists and adjust a bunch of rolls every short rest, it's hard not to like.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

RC Cola posted:

I was wondering why is lore bard considered so good? Also are the UA bard schools any good?

It’s a full caster that can poach from other spell lists, the best skill monkey, one of the best party faces, and the best grappler.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I was wondering why is lore bard considered so good?

What's the best thing for a player to do in 5e? Use magic. How much magic does the lore bard get to pick from? All of it.

Is that all the lore bard gets? Nope. It gets to, as a non-spell class feature, buff allies' rolls or debuff enemies' rolls. And it's proficient in almost every skill. And it gets half proficiency in anything it's not proficient in. And it's Charisma-based already. And it gets Expertise on top of that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Ok I am going to be playing a bard from levels 1-7(probably) shooting to play with a personality similar to Zapp Brannagin. What spells would I want to take to play up to this but not be useless. How could I reflavor dissonant whispers and other spells for Zapp?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Ok I am going to be playing a bard from levels 1-7(probably) shooting to play with a personality similar to Zapp Brannagin. What spells would I want to take to play up to this but not be useless. How could I reflavor dissonant whispers and other spells for Zapp?

The bard is the most powerful class in the game by a comically long mile so go nuts.

Other spells that are good and Zapp Brannaginy
Cantrips: Vicious Mockery
1st: Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Charm Person, Unseen Servant (Kif), Healing Word
2nd: Hold Person, Enthrall
3rd: Fear, Hypnotic Pattern

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 29, 2018

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Hideous laughter should be laughing at how pathetic a display you are. Dissonant whispers should be the target's natural reactions to your tactless sexual advances.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Casting classes that use different stats just don't mesh well due to the multiclass prereqs, and Tempest Cleric is a way better class than a Storm Sorcerer that's 2 levels behind on its spells.

I have a Tempest Cleric 9/Favored Soul Sorcerer 1 that works pretty nicely.

At some point (whenever you take Sorcerer), your spells are going to be a level behind, but your slots progress as normal and having Shield is incredibly helpful if you're the group's only tanky guy.I also picked Booming Blade because the DM does magic item wishlists so I knew at some point I'd get a set of Gauntlets of Ogre Power or similar.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

SettingSun posted:

In the case of Lightning Bolt, I guess it matters if you roll for damage for each creature you strike, or just once and apply it to all creatures in the line, since destructive wrath applies to a single damage roll. Favorable conditions like a tight corridor could utterly wreck an encounter if the former is true.

At least per RAW, you're supposed to roll damage once for an AOE attack.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Also are the UA bard schools any good?

They are bards, so therefor they are a base level of good that is very good. They're kinda spoiled for good schools, honestly, they're all basically good in slightly different ways with Lore pulling ahead for sheer versatility.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Beyond added these shareable character link things and changed up their UI a bit.

a fighter - https://ddb.ac/characters/1020741/SvbbuQ

a sorcerer

ritorix fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 30, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ritorix posted:

Beyond added these shareable character link things and changed up their UI a bit.

a fighter - https://ddb.ac/characters/1020741/SvbbuQ

a sorcerer

PS: They look 100x better on desktop browser than mobile because they focused on the desktop version now, since they found out 70% of people we're accessing DDB via a desktop resolution.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah here's how it looks now on mobile.

This is your main sheet now, not much on there and you cant scroll down. Instead there's an option button at the bottom.

That button brings up all this stuff:

Here's spells. The tagging and auto-scaling seems nice.

Right-swipe in a lot of screens gets more details-

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I really like the changes, they also made their pdf exporter not useless

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So looking at some Warlock builds I had on D&D Beyond. And it seems that it is adding the Devil's Sight 120 ft Darkvision to the Half-Elf's 60 ft Darkvision, giving the character 180 ft Darkvision.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Ryuujin posted:

So looking at some Warlock builds I had on D&D Beyond. And it seems that it is adding the Devil's Sight 120 ft Darkvision to the Half-Elf's 60 ft Darkvision, giving the character 180 ft Darkvision.

It’s most likely a bug, probably adding the weird darkvis like they would with features like increased speed that do stack

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

RC Cola posted:

Skin Hypnotic Pattern as a Boogie Bomb.

Cast Zone of Truth and immediately blurt out an embarrassing fact from your sexual history(without being the Whizzard)

Deafness = Show the enemy why they call you The Velour Fog. / Blindness = "Accidentally" letting the enemy get a peek under your tunic.

If you go Lore and wanna be super frivolous Find Mount + Floating Disk and ride around on Felicity.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Thoughts on using money for experience? Would one gold piece per point be a fair exchange rate, assuming I'm not stingy about giving my players treasure they can hock?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Don't give experience. Level up your players every 1-2 sessions.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bad Seafood posted:

Thoughts on using money for experience? Would one gold piece per point be a fair exchange rate, assuming I'm not stingy about giving my players treasure they can hock?

Do that and make elves a class instead of a race and you've got the beginnings of a real cool game

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kidkissinger posted:

Wrong. Give experience because THE NUMBERS GO UP! People love that poo poo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

Plan B is milestone leveling based on quest completion/story beats.

I was just thinking it might be another aspect/reward to non-magical treasure hunting, another avenue for spending wealth players tend to hoard but not use - in my experience, at least. I'm not married to the idea, but I thought I'd get some feedback.

NeurosisHead posted:

Do that and make elves a class instead of a race and you've got the beginnings of a real cool game
Ha ha, I got the idea from researching older editions, though I think they used silver (which is also an option).

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Make money into experience and vice versa. Spend level 5 on that sweet new ride.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Any goons have a free spot for an online game for a new player? It's either that or I dip my toes into a random group on roll20. No idea what to expect from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My war with the lizard men became a parlay thanks to a diplomatic party who are cowards in the face of glory. Huge bummer imo.