Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Isn't Kirkman's whole thing that he hates endings, and refuses to write towards one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avulsion posted:

Also:

Invincible #1

Invincible #6

Kept going back to it too, so the next time you see it, the bag's been cordoned off by the police, then the next time you see it, that guy has started an entire religion around it, didn't it?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Sentinel Red posted:

Looking at that Ultimates sequence now, I'm just wondering where Pietro and the atomised mulch he took for a ride actually ended up when he stopped. Tierra del Feugo?

Between the replacement team and the grimdark, it really reminded me of The Authority.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I always got the impression Millar wanted to write "badass" like Ellis, but isn't aware that he doesn't really have the talent to pull it off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I never understood how anyone kept reading Invincible after the first time he punches someone and a bunch of gore flies out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read the first hardcover and never had any particular desire to read any further.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Avulsion, thanks for the panels. It was killing me I couldn’t find them flipping through my books and Google was useless. I also forgot about Biplane’s cameo reappearance.

prefect posted:

That first year's worth of Invincible was so damned good. :allears:
Absolutely agree. I continued to enjoy Invincible until maybe around #100ish, but less and less. In addition to Evil Mastermind’s point about Kirkman’s writing, the series kept escalating and escalating stakes until it just got over the top, and new, crazy, more extreme stuff had to happen all the time. But there were still nuggets of gold for a long time, at least until I stopped because those nuggets got to be so small and infrequent, and often with serious impurities. Things like dinner at The Immortal’s place? Could have been such a great sequence, but then Atom Eve has to share big reveal #81B and take the magic out of things.

Edit:

Lurdiak posted:

I never understood how anyone kept reading Invincible after the first time he punches someone and a bunch of gore flies out.
(How to address this without spoilers?) The first appearance of over-the-top gore in the series is so powerful because it’s unexpected and the shock is integral to the changes it marks in the story. And when Invincible (or anyone else) is fighting a certain frequently recurring group of very tough villains, I accept it easily because of the nature of those villains...they’re ruthless, trained killers, and won’t surrender. But yeah, outside of that, there’s a lot of gratuitous gore that continues to pour onto the pages, in increasing volume correlating to the issue number, and part of that is authorial weakness. “How do I show that the stakes are even higher? I know! [Insert name of some character] will get a limb ripped off/disemboweled/torn to pieces!”

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 26, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought invincible's ending was okay.

It got pretty bad around issue 50 with the just disgustingly gory fight between Mark and Conquest and then it was just escalated from there. It lost the fun it had in the first twenty or so issues

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Did Jimmy Olsen wish for a giant horse wiener? I really can't think of any other explanation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

Did Jimmy Olsen wish for a giant horse wiener? I really can't think of any other explanation.

He wanted to ride a big wiener.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

He wanted to ride a big wiener.

Heck, don't we all?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Say Nothing posted:

He mentioned something about riding a baloney pony

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hot (dog) to trot

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I think there are pills for that, Johnny.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Amazing Spider-Man: Wakanda Forever #1 - “A Strange Little Birdie” (2018)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wrestlepig posted:

Spider-Man in one panel

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Cadet Dredd doesn't take poo poo from velociraptors.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Unkempt posted:

All I can see when I look at the pic is his left forearm, which makes him look like the guy who gets sand kicked in his face in the old Charles Atlas ad strips. And it’s not a conspicuous choice for character design, because Cadet Dredd apparently doesn’t skip leg day that often (unless the Judges choose cadets with a physique like I had 8 ears ago when I just ran and didn’t lift). It looks like he’d have issues opening a bag of Doritos without using his teeeth with those arms, let alone KO a man-sized prehistoric reptile.

Second question: Are cadets issued their rugged chins as a mark of office upon graduation?

Sorry, there’re few things I love more than dinosaurs getting punched but these kept distracting me. If the intent is to show Dredd as young, not sure they work well.

e:

TwoPair posted:

Spider-Man in one panel
If this were Spidey in a single panel, he’d have this fight as he plummeted downward between Manhattan skyscrapers just as he found his webshooters were dry, Aunt May on the sidewalk directly underneath him and monster, Peter’s thinking about how he’s missing a date with MJ and what lie he’ll use this time, and one of the windows he passes is the Bugle HQ and JJJ’s sticking his head out the window yelling that he’s a menace to society.

e2, electric Boogaloo (I can’t stop):

unruly posted:

I think there are pills for that, Johnny.

“I’m a Bob Dole, and I want to talk about a problem most men won’t admit to at an older age. But I suffer from it too: blazing out before the fight is over and disappointing your teammates who were expecting you to keep on burning, not go cold and limp halfway through the fight. Ask your doctor if Napalmaujanz is the right medication for you and your condition. While taking this medication, if your fire rages for four hours or longer, go to the closest emergency room or class A-B-C fire extinguisher. Do not coat your body in gasoline while taking Napalmaujanz as an immolation aid. Side effects include.a lingering chemical smell, occasional uncontrollable coughing fits, spontaneous combustion, and literally pissing fire. Because Napalmaujanz evaporates quickly in contact with air, do not use topically except under an unstable molecule suit.”

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wrestlepig posted:

This was a good book i hope it sells well and gets an ongoing

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Nonvalueadded User posted:

All I can see when I look at the pic is his left forearm, which makes him look like the guy who gets sand kicked in his face in the old Charles Atlas ad strips. And it’s not a conspicuous choice for character design, because Cadet Dredd apparently doesn’t skip leg day that often (unless the Judges choose cadets with a physique like I had 8 ears ago when I just ran and didn’t lift). It looks like he’d have issues opening a bag of Doritos without using his teeeth with those arms, let alone KO a man-sized prehistoric reptile.

Second question: Are cadets issued their rugged chins as a mark of office upon graduation?

Sorry, there’re few things I love more than dinosaurs getting punched but these kept distracting me. If the intent is to show Dredd as young, not sure they work well.
Cadet judges are aged about 6-16 iirc, though Dredd is technically younger due to being a clone.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

and dinosaurs weren't reptiles, especially velociraptors

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Nonvalueadded User posted:

“I’m a Bob Dole, and I want to talk about a problem most men won’t admit to at an older age. But I suffer from it too: blazing out before the fight is over and disappointing your teammates who were expecting you to keep on burning, not go cold and limp halfway through the fight. Ask your doctor if Napalmaujanz is the right medication for you and your condition. While taking this medication, if your fire rages for four hours or longer, go to the closest emergency room or class A-B-C fire extinguisher. Do not coat your body in gasoline while taking Napalmaujanz as an immolation aid. Side effects include.a lingering chemical smell, occasional uncontrollable coughing fits, spontaneous combustion, and literally pissing fire. Because Napalmaujanz evaporates quickly in contact with air, do not use topically except under an unstable molecule suit.”
:golfclap: bravo. I remember seeing that commercial. Bob Dole, pen firmly in hand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wrestlepig posted:

Am I the only person this image just refuses to load for, even if I copy the url and paste it in directly?

Edit: Nevermind, it was my VPN's security features blocking it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How's this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Am I the only person this image just refuses to load for, even if I copy the url and paste it in directly?

Edit: Nevermind, it was my VPN's security features blocking it.

Did you demand pictures? Pictures of Spider-Man?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Parker didn't bring me my giant rear end-gently caress coffee :sigh:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Unkempt posted:

Why is minidredd punching Dr. Dinosaur :ohdear:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
He didn't have a Ph.D. at the time, it's just Mr. Dinosaur

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Need my cup of rear end gently caress to get me going in the morning

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's a tough job being a power bottom but somebody gotta do it :patriot:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Nice. :golfclap:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Wow, gently caress the Flash.

hows that Bendis going for ya dc?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
So these are like, the storyboard sketches, right?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Now I'm not a big comics reader but it says something that, not knowing who Bendis is, I couldn't tell whether the post was complaining about the art or the writing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Keeshhound posted:

So these are like, the storyboard sketches, right?

That some rough rear end Adam Hughes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Now be fair, considering the placeholder art, I assume the text is placeholder text as well before they print and release the actual finished product.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a random note, is that golden pointy thing in front of the hall just a generic abstract sculpture, or does it have a meaning or is it something specific?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Adam Hughes is STILL doing that Poser bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why are they all standing in a featureless void?