Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm kinda surprised none of the retrogaming crowd have tried to kickstart for building new CRT TV's.

What I think is more feasible and where everyone would win would be sort of the opposite: low resolution, but large OLED screens.

I'm sure I annoy people to death saying this but seeing snes games on the n3ds xl was a life changing moment for me (for lack of a better term, and yes it sounds ridiculous but I can't think of a better word). Ever since the late 1990s when I hooked up my PC to a TV to play snes roms, I was obsessed with trying to get them to look perfect. The only time I was ever able to fail a blind test was my Wii hooked up to my crt. But that was a crt. And the reason I couldn't tell the difference was simply because it ran the proper resolution on the Wii.

When I saw snes games running on the n3ds xl it almost blew my loving balls off. I was constantly obsessing on weird sketchy handhelds like the GP2X or hacked PSPs using every different filter but finding they all looked like poo poo. All it took was an n3ds xl with its low-rear end resolution screen and I was loving done. I never needed to waste my goddamn time and money trying to get old games to look perfect any longer. No filters, and none of the negatives of a crt on top of it! It looks better than an actual crt. All because it's a high quality screen (IPS lottery), it's large, and it's the proper resolution.

So long story short, I think a way better, and more realistic Kickstarter, should be for a 25"+ OLED that runs at like 320x240 or whatever. Yes I know that Secret of Mana menu screens will look a little weird. I can live with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What I think is more feasible and where everyone would win would be sort of the opposite: low resolution, but large OLED screens.

I'm sure I annoy people to death saying this but seeing snes games on the n3ds xl was a life changing moment for me (for lack of a better term, and yes it sounds ridiculous but I can't think of a better word). Ever since the late 1990s when I hooked up my PC to a TV to play snes roms, I was obsessed with trying to get them to look perfect. The only time I was ever able to fail a blind test was my Wii hooked up to my crt. But that was a crt. And the reason I couldn't tell the difference was simply because it ran the proper resolution on the Wii.

When I saw snes games running on the n3ds xl it almost blew my loving balls off. I was constantly obsessing on weird sketchy handhelds like the GP2X or hacked PSPs using every different filter but finding they all looked like poo poo. All it took was an n3ds xl with its low-rear end resolution screen and I was loving done. I never needed to waste my goddamn time and money trying to get old games to look perfect any longer. No filters, and none of the negatives of a crt on top of it! It looks better than an actual crt. All because it's a high quality screen (IPS lottery), it's large, and it's the proper resolution.

So long story short, I think a way better, and more realistic Kickstarter, should be for a 25"+ OLED that runs at like 320x240 or whatever. Yes I know that Secret of Mana menu screens will look a little weird. I can live with that.

This man is smart. OLEDs are good and good for retro. I could totally see something like this happening some day.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If they can't already, OLED displays will be able to closely approximate the CRT aesthetic anyway. Input lag is getting better, too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Monopthalmus posted:

This man is smart. OLEDs are good and good for retro. I could totally see something like this happening some day.

Thank you :)

Believe it or not the aforementioned GP2X Wiz had an OLED screen (one of the earliest devices with one ever) and at 320x240 the NES and Genesis looked absolutely mind-blowing on it. It was just too small of a screen and not powerful enough to emulate snes games.

For reference, I am not as impressed with how the snes looks on my n3ds. It's a regular sized one also with a top IPS screen. But the n3ds xl is where it's like "holy poo poo, this is the best an snes game will ever look".

azurite posted:

If they can't already, OLED displays will be able to closely approximate the CRT aesthetic anyway. Input lag is getting better, too.

That's still with using crts flaws though. What I'm suggesting (and you will notice on a n3ds xl running snes games) is that you get both the flat screen and zero scanlines. And no pixelated graphics.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

dishwasherlove posted:

I feel like there was a Japanese Point Blank collection for Ps2 that also had Time Crisis 1 in it so that solves a few problems.

There very much is, and I have it on my SD card in my PS2 HDD adapter thing, along with the entire Time Crisis PS2 run and Virtua Cop Elite.

My heart is still with TC2 because I played the unholy dogshit out of it at the Nickel Nickel I worked at in 2001. Still kinda miffed there’s no easy pedal solution for home console that doesn’t involve stepping on a controller.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

There is

https://www.play-asia.com/ems-topgun-iii/13/704e7s

Well, it only works for ps2 ones. Not the ps1 ones :/

Anyone have one of these? How is it on PC?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Light Gun Man posted:

You of all people should know, surely :colbert:.

I actually looked up the reviews for them, and apparently while they do work they're also made of very cheap plastic and parts that're prone to breaking.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You of all people should know, surely :colbert:.

I actually looked up the reviews for them, and apparently while they do work they're also made of very cheap plastic and parts that're prone to breaking.

Why do you think I want it? :v:

Too bad it's kinda weak. I get that it's a bit niche but I'd expect it to last awhile at that price or to just be a bit cheaper then, jeez. I'll keep it in mind though.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Why not make it 640x480 and use nearest-neighbor scaling for lower resolutions?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm not sure what the benefit of an SD OLED would be compared to just using commodity 4K OLEDs. 4K is exactly 9x taller than 240p so you can do perfect integer scaling with no borders, plus CRT shaders work very well given 9x9 pixels to reproduce each source pixel.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

I'm not sure what the benefit of an SD OLED would be compared to just using commodity 4K OLEDs. 4K is exactly 9x taller than 240p so you can do perfect integer scaling with no borders, plus CRT shaders work very well given 9x9 pixels to reproduce each source pixel.

I guess you could but like I had mentioned, with my example, there'd be no crt shaders. It would look perfect using zero of the quirky effects that hid how pixelated those games could look. For example, snes on the n3ds look flawless with zero scanlines and no fake aperture grill. That's why I said I felt it actually looks better than a crt.

All New Sonic posted:

Why not make it 640x480 and use nearest-neighbor scaling for lower resolutions?

But then don't the majority of games not look pixel perfect? Is it really worth it for the n64 Resident Evil 2 menus and like three snes games?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You don't have to use CRT shaders with a 4K display, that's just another option. With integer scaling you'll get the same results as a native 240p panel, there's no practical difference between a single giant square pixel and a solid coloured 9x9 square of smaller pixels.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

repiv posted:

480 doesn’t integer scale to 4K so any 480i content would have to go through a bit of scaling and filtering. A 1440p monitor would be ideal because 240, 480, and 720 all integer scale. It’s too bad that I’ve never seen a tv or monitor that actually uses nearest neighbor. They always filter it and lower resolutions look blurry.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah, scalers are the issue. I'm sure there will eventually be an XRGB/OSSC equivalent with support for 1440p/4K output though.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sorta related, for those who have seen the "world's largest pac man" and the galaga version in person (probably at Dave and Buster's), what is the screen?

It says LED here but is it essentially a section of a sports stadium Jumbo Tron? It looks really nice in person.

https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/worlds-largest-pac-man-arcade/

https://www.bandainamco-am.com/game.php?gameid=65

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Spent some time playing Snes games last night on the Super NT. Everytime I play it I think to myself, "Wow, for some reason the audio sounds like poo poo." I know modern TV's usually have lovely speakers, but it doesn't sound that bad when I hear the audio while playing my Switch or PS4. Hard to describe how it sounds, just kind of sounds muddy/cloudy to what I remembered. I checked options on the Super NT and didn't see anything relevant. Is this just my TV having lovely speakers?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

katkillad2 posted:

Spent some time playing Snes games last night on the Super NT. Everytime I play it I think to myself, "Wow, for some reason the audio sounds like poo poo." I know modern TV's usually have lovely speakers, but it doesn't sound that bad when I hear the audio while playing my Switch or PS4. Hard to describe how it sounds, just kind of sounds muddy/cloudy to what I remembered. I checked options on the Super NT and didn't see anything relevant. Is this just my TV having lovely speakers?

All TVs have lovely speakers

Try updating the supernt firmware.

To me it sounds identical to a real snes with the spdif mod

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

katkillad2 posted:

Get yourself a soundbar.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Light Gun Man posted:

Unless something new has come out the AimTrak is the best option. I've wanted one for a few years but have never quite pulled the trigger because it's pricey for something I'd use, generously, once a month. PC & PS2 (Guncon 2) compatible. I don't believe Guncon 2's work with PS1 games in backwards compat either. So no native PS1, but it'd work via emulator.

https://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Milkman posted:

Unless something new has come out the AimTrak is the best option. I've wanted one for a few years but have never quite pulled the trigger because it's pricey for something I'd use, generously, once a month. PC & PS2 (Guncon 2) compatible. I don't believe Guncon 2's work with PS1 games in backwards compat either. So no native PS1, but it'd work via emulator.

I have one of these and use it with MAME and it’s great. Basically it emulates a mouse pointer and uses a wii-like sensor to track the gun’s position.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

falz posted:

Sorta related, for those who have seen the "world's largest pac man" and the galaga version in person (probably at Dave and Buster's), what is the screen?

It says LED here but is it essentially a section of a sports stadium Jumbo Tron? It looks really nice in person.

https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/worlds-largest-pac-man-arcade/

https://www.bandainamco-am.com/game.php?gameid=65

Yeah I think it’s basically a whole bunch of individual LEDs with each one being an individual “pixel”. My gf and I played the Pac-Man version at a Round One, it’s a lot of fun with two players

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

If your other consoles sound fine then you'll need to do some fussing around to see what's up. My Super NT sounds great. Can you plug some headphones into the TV and see if that improves it?

But yeah, like others have said modern TVs are too thin to house decent speakers which is why sound bars are a thing now.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get yourself a soundbar decent pair of bookshelf speakers, a decent subwoofer and an amplifier unit.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Resolution is one thing but modern displays can't replicate a crt's "glow" without using graphic shaders like bloom.

Just compare the lighting effect in the intro for Super Metroid:

CRT: https://youtu.be/5yHTTwH2HDs?t=4m40s

Modern display: https://youtu.be/yB317FOcU0Y?t=5m52s

Now with shaders: https://youtu.be/qBzB0YdHn64?t=44s

I know it most it doesn't bug most people but I really miss that glowing effect on old TV's.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I played one of those jumbo Pac-Mans here in Las Vegas a couple years ago, but had a rough time because the input lag was pretty bad. I'm going to assume whatever hardware drives the LED panels wasn't made with gaming in mind.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Joe Chill posted:

Resolution is one thing but modern displays can't replicate a crt's "glow" without using graphic shaders like bloom.

OLEDs definitely can, which is why it's so disappointing that I haven't seen any emulators that take advantage of HDR output. I'd love to see some vector games on one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Light Gun Man posted:

I have one, although I lost the dongle so I can't use it anymore. I'm thinking about getting another. Its really good.

FWIW my gun has lasted for years and still works perfectly, I just lost the drat dongle :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think some of you guys collect the old Nintendo magazines, somone might be interested to know that Retrogames UK has gotten a couple of issues of the Club Nintendo Magazine for about £7 apiece;

Issue 5 - 1991
Issue 6 - 1991
Issue 2 - 1992

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

The Milkman posted:

GutBomb posted:

I have one of these and use it with MAME and it’s great. Basically it emulates a mouse pointer and uses a wii-like sensor to track the gun’s position.

It's weird to me that this is like still the height of technology for this. You'd think we'd figure out something new by now. Makes me wonder if you can use a PS Move setup on PC, hmm.

Zaphod42 posted:

I have one, although I lost the dongle so I can't use it anymore. I'm thinking about getting another. Its really good.

FWIW my gun has lasted for years and still works perfectly, I just lost the drat dongle :(

That's unfortunate. Glad to hear yours otherwise worked fine, though.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

It's weird to me that this is like still the height of technology for this. You'd think we'd figure out something new by now. Makes me wonder if you can use a PS Move setup on PC, hmm.

I don't remember exactly how crt light guns work, but it probably has to do with timing more than anything.

How many hdtv display technogies do we gave now? Led, oled, plasma, DLP.. each with their own latencies. Maybe once we're all using the same thing it can get figured out again.

The original batch of HDTVs in the y2k era had rear projection CRTs. Does anyone know if light guns worked on those?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Light Gun Man posted:

You could use a PS Move or a Wiimote but they'd probably be less accurate.

Its not exactly 'height of technology' its just a niche market nobody cares to support anymore :smith:

falz posted:

I don't remember exactly how crt light guns work, but it probably has to do with timing more than anything.

How many hdtv display technogies do we gave now? Led, oled, plasma, DLP.. each with their own latencies. Maybe once we're all using the same thing it can get figured out again.

The original batch of HDTVs in the y2k era had rear projection CRTs. Does anyone know if light guns worked on those?

Yes, CRT light guns would take advantage of the fact that CRT screens were produced one pixel at a time, sweeping from top to bottom, and would track the update of the phosphors.

In an LCD TV you render an entire frame at once, all the little pixels all flip their colors from one screen to the next screen at the same time, so you don't have that sweeping update beam to sync off of and use to determine position.

As a result LCD light guns will require some kind of Wii style external sensor.

The Super Scope HAS an external sensor but it only uses it to aid in calibration, so it still doesn't work on LCD TVs.

Those rear projection CRTs should work with light guns, but they also weigh like 2 tons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

You could use a PS Move or a Wiimote but they'd probably be less accurate.

Its not exactly 'height of technology' its just a niche market nobody cares to support anymore :smith:

Actually those sort of games still exist, they just made the leap to the next logical platform; VR headsets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually those sort of games still exist, they just made the leap to the next logical platform; VR headsets.

That's true. Shooting galleries feel so drat good in VR. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood on PSVR is literally a shooting gallery, and games like Arizona Sunshine on PC/PSVR are like a shooting gallery + some basic FPS movement.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

They appear to still make light gun arcade games like Time Crisis 5. Is that just the mouse cursor method?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The modern equivalents are all the various motion controls like the Wiimote, PS Move, and all the controllers designed for use with VR headsets. If you need to simulate a 2-hander, the Wii has its own Zapper...

the PS3 has the Sharpshooter...

and on PS4 there's the Aim controller.

For 1-handed goodness the PS3 has a gun shunt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

That's true. Shooting galleries feel so drat good in VR. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood on PSVR is literally a shooting gallery, and games like Arizona Sunshine on PC/PSVR are like a shooting gallery + some basic FPS movement.

If you have not played Sairento, you should play Sairento. It's on Steam and it's amazingly good fun :ninja:.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

falz posted:

They appear to still make light gun arcade games like Time Crisis 5. Is that just the mouse cursor method?

Arcades could still be sourcing some kinda CRTs, dunno

Or it could just be a custom gun setup similar to the topgun or wiimote

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

univbee posted:

The modern equivalents are all the various motion controls like the Wiimote, PS Move

Yes those are motion controllers but the light-gun aspect of them uses an external sensor. They're not using Accelerometers to aim guns. They just happen to have bundled those techs together on wii and ps4.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm sure I annoy people to death saying this but seeing snes games on the n3ds xl was a life changing moment for me (for lack of a better term, and yes it sounds ridiculous but I can't think of a better word).

I bought ALTTP on my n3dsxl specifically because of your past comments on this. You are 100% right, it's real good.

repiv posted:

So super nintendo in 4k would be...

SNES9x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Arcades could still be sourcing some kinda CRTs, dunno

Or it could just be a custom gun setup similar to the topgun or wiimote
Yeah I didn't specify but I meant Arcade. Definitely not a CRT, this game in particular looks like it came out in the 2010's. Probably some IR sensor bar wii-like stuff.

https://www.bandainamco-am.com/game.php?gameid=54