Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dogs off leashes that chase me while their idiot owner meekly fails to call them back is near 100%

I had that happen to me. I had to threaten to kick his dog in its loving face if he didn't grab it and pull it away ftom me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'll have you know that was one of the most interesting things that happened in both that thread as well as the actual books.

Part of me might be bitter. Checking the SA thread after blitzing through those books forced me to stop and think “huh, those... sucked” instead of putting them down, never thinking, and keeping the good memories. They have this weird kind of suckiness where they are hard to put down and then it hits you after how weird and bad Rothfuss is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Having an obvious thing for redheads sounds like every second male author of speculative fiction I've read

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It might just be a thing every second male has, they just don't usually write about it. :wink:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The world would be a much better place if everyone who drives a lifted pickup truck was a non driver.

E: changed "dead" to "non driver" because that felt like bad karma.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Jun 30, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And I'm not even saying everyone who drives one deserves to be smited, but it's like a 95% ratio and I'm willing to sacrifice the 5%.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My friend let me drive his a few times, am I on your smiting list?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Every friend group needs the one dude with a truck to help you move

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't mean all trucks. Just the big lifted ones. mostly with a bunch of extraneous bullshit attached to them. There's almost no chance the person driving it isn't a douche bag doing aggressive poo poo on the road and risking other peoples lives.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there is a big difference in a regular truck and a Bro Dozer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Growing up in rural TX before moving to more urban areas you quickly learn that the size and quality of one’s truck is inversely proportional to how much work the truck is used for.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Elton John is overrated

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Elton John is overrated

Depends on what we're talking about.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MizPiz posted:

Elton John is overrated

But Elton plus Taupin is a dream team

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The approach taken by Benicio Del Toro in Sicario is the correct way to deal with cartels. There will always be organizations like that, the only way to control it is by making sure only one group is in charge that is friendly to our authorities and throws us a bone once in a while. It's better to know exactly what they are doing rather than trying to chop off the infinite heads of a hydra that will never die.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MizPiz posted:

Elton John is overrated

he's a 10/10, not an 11/10

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The approach taken by Benicio Del Toro in Sicario is the correct way to deal with cartels. There will always be organizations like that, the only way to control it is by making sure only one group is in charge that is friendly to our authorities and throws us a bone once in a while. It's better to know exactly what they are doing rather than trying to chop off the infinite heads of a hydra that will never die.

The correct way to deal with drug cartels, actually, is legalize drugs. Cartels couldn't compete, would lose their income, and be much reduced in size and influence if not outright wiped out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s insane to me that psychedelic drugs are held to be so horrific.

They can cause issues for people with severe pre-existing mental health problems but other than that they are extremely safe and can even have positive effects on mental health. No long term physical problems, non habit forming (hell you can’t even trip multiple days in a row if you want to, you need to take breaks to feel effects), they’re pretty much completely benign as long as they’re used responsibly. (Have a sober person around, use in a safe and secure environment.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love me some hallucinogens, but the fact that they can cause a complete temporary change in someone's personality makes it a hard sell for legalization. You only need a few good horror stories of people on PCP killing themselves to keep it from ever being legal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

The correct way to deal with drug cartels, actually, is legalize drugs. Cartels couldn't compete, would lose their income, and be much reduced in size and influence if not outright wiped out.

If it were more profitable to legalize drugs I'd agree. There is no right or wrong, there is either profitable or not profitable. I believe that the war on drugs generates more profit than just letting people do whatever they want, so I think we should continue as we are and blame the cartels for everything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I love me some hallucinogens, but the fact that they can cause a complete temporary change in someone's personality makes it a hard sell for legalization. You only need a few good horror stories of people on PCP killing themselves to keep it from ever being legal.

I’d draw a line between PCP and something like mushrooms or LSD, but yeah I can’t see presenting that to some elderly congresspeople or concerned soccer moms without sounding like a crazy druggie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the Sicario sequel they've moved on from drugs. Cartels will always find something else.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s not like if the people in cartels are waiting for drugs to be legal so they can say “whoo finally I can leave this life of crime and murder and get a 9-5”

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

It’s not like if the people in cartels are waiting for drugs to be legal so they can say “whoo finally I can leave this life of crime and murder and get a 9-5”

why wouldn't they want that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People are in cartels because of social pressure, poverty, and lack of opportunity elsewhere, hth

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People are in cartels because of social pressure, poverty, and lack of opportunity elsewhere, hth

Oh ok

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom might be moving to Jacksonville, FL bc her company is based there and she could chill in an office with a pay raise instead of having to drive all over half of Texas, so we paid the town a visit during our trip to see family in FL.

I don’t see why it has such a bad rap. Yeah it’s not high on my list of dream residences but it’s a fairly boring city that is at least on the coast and fairly close to cool locations. I can name a dozen or more small US cities that are basically boring, conservative Jacksonville but no beaches and nowhere interesting nearby.

I’ll grant that being a native texan probably makes it easier to deal with the insanity that is Florida.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My mom might be moving to Jacksonville, FL bc her company is based there and she could chill in an office with a pay raise instead of having to drive all over half of Texas, so we paid the town a visit during our trip to see family in FL.

I don’t see why it has such a bad rap. Yeah it’s not high on my list of dream residences but it’s a fairly boring city that is at least on the coast and fairly close to cool locations. I can name a dozen or more small US cities that are basically boring, conservative Jacksonville but no beaches and nowhere interesting nearby.

I’ll grant that being a native texan probably makes it easier to deal with the insanity that is Florida.

Florida is full of angry old white people with nothing but time on their hands and the money to hire lawyers. I don't know of you've ever had to deal with that but they are the worst neighbors imaginable. What you saw was the facade the area puts up as those people want that appearance at all costs. Any deviation at all from that is a horrible crime to be severely punished. Look at the governor that state keeps electing.

Downtown is probably not bad but God help you if you have to go to the suburbs.

Never actually been to Florida but I've had to deal with way too many snowbirds that summer there. None of them have been pleasant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IRA apologists are literally literally the same as Nazi or Union apologists.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

I know I'm guilty of forgetting about it too, but when you're getting this spicy I think we gotta go back to the "no politics" rule

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know I'm guilty of forgetting about it too, but when you're getting this spicy I think we gotta go back to the "no politics" rule

OK how about Dr. Oetker spicy chicken pizza is too drat spicy! (The dough is excellent though.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well gently caress I meant Confederate? The ones with the grey uniforms and slaves anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The USA should've had a civil war between the reds and the whites like normal countries so that drunk people wouldn't make mistakes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well gently caress I meant Confederate? The ones with the grey uniforms and slaves anyway.

Them's the Confederates. Ironically enough the Ulsterfuckers love them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Cotton posted:

The USA should've had a civil war between the reds and the whites like normal countries so that drunk people wouldn't make mistakes.

We did, but don't call them Reds you racist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

we did. The whites won

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh dang.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Solice Kirsk posted:

Honestly, legalize all of it, and make people that want to use it sign a waiver that basically says "if I use this irresponsibly and overdose or die, the seller isn't at fault for my stupidity". Kills 2 birds with 1 stone by making people think and be responsible for their actions before getting into something that'll screw them up for life, or kill them. Also add a stipulation that any company legally selling drugs has to give a certain % of its proceeds to rehabilitation programs or mental health assistance.

Not likely to happen because everyone wants to blame everyone else for their idiocy, but it'd be a step in the right direction and could potentially fix a lot of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's impossible to be racist about Italians