Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Why are Breton women illiterate?

The map is about stuff Macron said about French people, to show how much he loves the country he presides. Most of these words were comments about the (soon-to-be) unemployed, according to the familiar logic of "if you're poor, it's your fault for being a loser". So there was a slaughterhouse in Brittany that was going to close, and it's at this point he commented during a radio interview that "most of the employees are women, a lot of them are illiterate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah, yes, the Jupiterian truths :barf:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

I have some bad news about the Americas as well
The Americas are represented by the Trump-dragon.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Hmm, what kind of iconic image could we put in there for Greece. Really something that brings the place to mind.
Ah! Of course! The yoyo!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, can't say I've heard about the Romanian salamander either.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's not a salamander, it's an Axolotl, or Romanian walking fish.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Axolotl is a salamander, and it truly is famous for living where RIo Gande and Danube reach a confluence.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jaguars! posted:

It's not a salamander, it's an Axolotl, or Romanian walking fish.

Human fish, actually. Lives in Balkans caves along the adriatic coast, most notably a giant cave complex in Slovenia. Though they can get surprisingly far via underground rivers and mud.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i don't like how the puffin's feet seem to sink slightly into iceland, which, combined with eyjafjallajökull (?), make it look like iceland is a big zit being popped or something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
An honest question: what are the glasses by the Yellow Sea all about?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why is there beer and sausages in Poland/Belarus? Why is that animal humping Madagascar?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cat Mattress posted:

Well here's a map for the flag thread.

Starting from the North and going counter-clockwise:
Alcoholics, mafiosi, illiterate women, poo poo-stirrers, cynics, extreme rurals, shirtless, fat do-nothings, people against everything, the irradiated ones, and the people who are nothing.

I'm sad Jupiter didn't say anything about Corsicans :corsica:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Poil posted:

Why is there beer and sausages in Poland/Belarus? Why is that animal humping Madagascar?

Polish cuisine is like 60% sausages and they drink a lot of beer.

You know like everywhere else in Central Europe.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Poil posted:

Madagascar is famous for having a wide variety of wildlife not found elsewhere.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Western Sahara: The True Land of the Football

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Somali pirate skull lair on point

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

He’s just kicking his ball into Spain to craftily immigrate into the EU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Axolotl is a salamander, and it truly is famous for living where RIo Gande and Danube reach a confluence.

I have learned today :cheers:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Somali pirate skull lair on point

Whoever made that map is going to get in trouble with the Phantom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when Mandela punched Kilimanjaro from Zambia into Tanzania. Good times. :vuvu:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Negrostrike posted:

I'd say that claim is dispute

get it

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Madagascar is famous for having a wide variety of wildlife not found elsewhere.

In this case, a ring-tailed lemur.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Oh god I fell down an idiot hole on youtube.

Did you know that if you had a misconception about something? That actually you weren't wrong, but it WAS right but TIMELINES SHIFTED?
And with MAPS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw98xbjLtPE

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Grape posted:

Did you know that if you had a misconception about something? That actually you weren't wrong, but it WAS right but TIMELINES SHIFTED?
And with MAPS!

Does that mean Bir Tawil is some sort of temporal nexus?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grape posted:

And with MAPS!

Jesus Christ, thank you for that. I still remember my cousin, when both of us were 16 and she living in North Carolina, when something prompted her to ask at a family dinner "What's a Mary Land?" "It's a state, and it's pronounced 'Maralind'." "Oh! I've never heard of it." I can't remember what prompted it, but she must have been looking at something that had Maryland written on it in order to butcher the pronunciation so badly (i.e. saying it like it's spelled), but it couldn't have been a map.

So many people think "South America is directly south of North America"? Yep definitely this is because of switching between alternate universes, and not because people are terrible at geography and can't read a map. It's fine that your wife is from Peru and you're still poo poo at geography, Youtube dude. Not everyone cares about maps, and it's something that has essentially no bearing on your personal life. Just say you're bad at geography, and not that a mysterious effect transported you from an alternate dimension where Sri Lanka was on the other side of India and South America was 1500 miles to the west.

"There is no north pole! Greenland, Iceland. How can Santa come from the North Pole?? And this island up here I've never even seen. Sv.. Svalbard?" "I don't remember North Kore and South Korea being up here. I remember them as being more down here [points near Taiwan]"

"I remember New Zealand being up here [points just east of Papua New Guinea. BUT IT'S WAY SOUTH." Yes, was New Zealand also a tropical beach country in your memory? Jfc.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 30, 2018

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

And with MAPS!

"i learned on lovely map projections".flv

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Peanut President posted:

It's partly that, for things like 'how close / far are South America and Africa' but mostly "I have a lovely memory for geography but am unwilling to admit it" for things like New Zealand being a tropical country, or North and South Korea being square in the middle of Southeast Asia.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 30, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Peanut President posted:

Nah. That explains very few of his memory problems—Iceland’s size, the width of the Bering Strait, and that may be it.

Mercator is better at most at showing the directional relations between landmasses, which seems to be his most common issue.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Finance guy is a moron who thinks he's super smart and finds it easier to think reality has changed than he's wrong about something.

I also love the flip flopping between 'I've been looking at maps my whole life' and 'when I was a kid'.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He at least has the decency to come up with an elaborate if idiotic excuse rather than saying 'idgaf lol' like 90% of the population

(why aren't girls impressed by my extensive geographical knowledge??)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I have incontrovertible evidence that he's right about the location of the Koreas.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I don't think you guys understand, when I say I fell down an idiot hole I mean there's a ton of these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=man...iw=1385&bih=723

There's a 45 (45!) minute thing where a Canadian moron decides a conspiracy exists because he is befuddled by barrier islands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5NIz0vhvHg

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grape posted:

I don't think you guys understand, when I say I fell down an idiot hole I mean there's a ton of these.

There's a 45 (45!) minute thing where a Canadian moron decides a conspiracy exists because he is befuddled by barrier islands.

Peanut President posted:

"Distance CHANGED!" How dare they change! :derp:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I'm glad of the people who don't care. Good on them. It's like me being confronted with chemistry or physics stuff, sounds complicated, glad the experts know what's up. Smell ya later.

The 45 minute WHY BEACH BLOCK COAST? video is a dude encountering something that genuinely fascinates him, a strange looking natural phenomena. And instead of going off to look up how that sort of thing forms and works, off he flies into fantasy land. Meanwhile randomly asserting stuff like an expert, "That can't happened naturally, so thus-". Why does he think he knows if it can or can't happened...

How do brains get like that. :suspense:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had never heard of this Mandela Effect before, but it's gold

http://www.newgoldenage.info/index.php/shift/the-mandela-effect/what-is-changing/395-mandela-effect-geography

quote:

- Russia now also has nearly independent territories, like the small part of Russia called Kaliningrad, under Lithuania.

- Poland has gotten much bigger.

- Germany has drastically changed shape. Berlin used to be roughly in the centre of the country, now it's very close to Poland - not because the city changed, but because the borders did. The Berlin Wall historically now also loops around very very strangely.

There's a simple explanation for these, or are they saying WWII happened retroactively to accommodate the geographical changes, I'm having a hard time understanding what the claims being made even are.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grape posted:

100,000 loving views, god dammit. Did this specific video go viral somehow, or are there so many people following this drat thing? E: I watched like 20 minutes of it, jesus. He coins the phrase "sand bar coastline" because he's too dumb to realize that "coastal estuaries" are a thing that exist. I don't even understand his point — that it's impossible for there to be so much coast that has an indistinct/gradual separation between ocean and land? Man it's really going to blow his mind whenever he finds out that Google Earth has an option where you can go backwards and forwards in time with newer/older satellite imagery.

I'd never heard of it before, but I blame The History Channel for all of this. Everything from Mandela Effect to Flat Earth to Ancient Aliens.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 30, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Well, the description of Denmark/Sweden/the Baltic in general is mostly right, if you're an immortal being whose conscious stretches back thousands of years.

e: Actually, that seems exactly the kind of self-aggrandizing thing this kind of crazy people would be into - believing they were somehow a confused interdimensional space alien that was slowly unlocking their true identity.

Phlegmish posted:

There's a simple explanation for these, or are they saying WWII happened retroactively to accommodate the geographical changes, I'm having a hard time understanding what the claims being made even are.
I don't think there's even agreement among followers of the Mandela Effect. Like, the guy in the linked video seems to believe his consciousness has basically been shifted from an alternate Earth into ours? But also there's a conspiracy to hide the changes??? While the person in the linked article seems to believe the Earth is constantly experiencing massive change and people just ignore it for some reason.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 30, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I had never heard of this Mandela Effect before, but it's gold

http://www.newgoldenage.info/index.php/shift/the-mandela-effect/what-is-changing/395-mandela-effect-geography

Yeah loving realizing in 2017+ that WW2 had an impact on Koenigsberg, Poland and Germany, they should see the post ww1 germany map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-lQbbPuVlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010