Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Trails of Zero kicks rear end (I find the setting and plot to be better than Sky's, even if I might give Sky's characters the edge). Tio is cool and good, and I kept thinking "low rent Tio" about Altina in CS3.

Both Tio and Altina are really really good though. That and Altina is more analogous to KeA than Tio if you ask me. Very different personalities sure, with a similar arc for both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Terper posted:

It is no longer horseshit, they've managed to fix it so now it's just poo poo.

Is it still impossible to rebind individual movement keys when using mouse+keyboard or did they patch that in?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Interestingly, the shop page for CS4 is apparently listing it as requiring an internet connection to play. Given none of the previous games have had that, and I'm not aware of any security policy changes for Sony or Falcom, people are speculating it's going to be large enough that Falcom doesn't want to cram the entire thing on a disc. Take that for what you will.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that's loving ridiculous lol

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I don't see that on either the Japanese PSN or Amazon pages (though the Amazon one is still pretty much a placeholder). Kondo did say in an interview that they had pretty much filled up the disc with all the locations in 3, though, and that they were going to have to do something in order to put in all the extra areas and characters they're adding.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Probably just a day 1 patch for everything.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
50% off on Tokyo Xanadu eX+ for Euro PSN PS+ members but I'm worried from reviews, how button-mashy does the combat get? I can no longer play Yakuza games because the combat wears my fingers out and real quickly too, they will only get healthier if science invents some magical poo poo. Turn-based 5ever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If slow yakuza combat kills you, don't play Tokyo Xanadu

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tae posted:

If slow yakuza combat kills you, don't play Tokyo Xanadu

I couldn't do more than five actual gameplay minutes of the Yakuza 6 demo, but Lance Hammer Greatsword in Monster Hunter World is mostly okay with how R1 (switched R1/R2) is key to attacking, same for Souls games. Scouting videos where I can hear the input clicking to get an idea of how much work is required

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Combat is extremely to fairly button mashy depending on the character, even the slowest character much moreso than souls or mh.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

Combat is extremely to fairly button mashy depending on the character, even the slowest character much moreso than souls or mh.

Oh hell. I'll stick to my turnbased JRPGs, thanks :<

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Weird request, but does anyone have a link to the Low BP FC ending where the final boss gets beaten for you? I told some friends about it and they refuse to believe its real.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Weird request, but does anyone have a link to the Low BP FC ending where the final boss gets beaten for you? I told some friends about it and they refuse to believe its real.

Here.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4HajjMuxs

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That never stops looking awesome.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
That's the ending i got...

:negative:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BrightWing posted:

That's the ending i got...

:negative:

are you sure, since you literally need to get like no extra BP for it. Id be impressed. The actual one is basically the same except there's a part where everyone gets fully charged CP to use on the weakened boss.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I have all the Ys games on PC now, outside of Lacrimosa ( absolutely gently caress you NISA. Does anybody have anymore info on why it went to them? Someone was saying they outbid XSEED? ), with a plan to buy Celceta Day 1 to support XSEED/complete the collection. I loving love Ys.

I now have all three Trails in the Sky games. I love them so far.

There are two ? three? "Trails Zero" games that are both? apparently being ported to English/PC? What are these about/are they actually both getting ported.

There are two Cold Steel games I know nothing about. Apparently these are about a military class or something? Apparently there are two more of them that haven't gotten any word about a porting yet? Are the first two pretty complete between just the two of them.

Looking for more info on these other ones, the OP is uh a bit out of date.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rookersh posted:

There are two ? three? "Trails Zero" games that are both? apparently being ported to English/PC? What are these about/are they actually both getting ported.

Two: Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki. They're about cops in the city of Crossbell, which is disputed territory between Erebonia and Calvard. The only ports currently in the works are a fan translation project.

quote:

There are two Cold Steel games I know nothing about. Apparently these are about a military class or something? Apparently there are two more of them that haven't gotten any word about a porting yet? Are the first two pretty complete between just the two of them.

Trails of Cold Steel is about an anime high school in Erebonia. The first two CS titles take place concurrently with Zero/Ao and reference them a lot, but vaguely enough that you won't need to have played them. They're also a complete enough story without the third & fourth games.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Rookersh posted:

So I have all the Ys games on PC now, outside of Lacrimosa ( absolutely gently caress you NISA. Does anybody have anymore info on why it went to them? Someone was saying they outbid XSEED? ), with a plan to buy Celceta Day 1 to support XSEED/complete the collection. I loving love Ys.

I now have all three Trails in the Sky games. I love them so far.

Zero and Ao (The Crossbell Duology) aren't getting an official english release/PC port as far as we know, though there are fan translations in production for both. Zero has an official japanese PC release, but I think Ao only has a Chinese port.

Cold Steel III is out in Japan, and IV comes out later this year. Neither have been announced for english release, but falcom have said it will happen. The question is whether XSEED gets to continue their excellent localization work, or if NISA will swoop in to gently caress everything up, as is their wont.

All the trail games take place in the same world but each arc (Sky, Crossbell, Cold Steel) focuses on different characters and their stories. The characters and plot threads from previous arcs do tend to show up in the newer games though, and Cold Steel IV will apparently be some sort of culmination for all three arcs.

Edit: And yeah, even though they aren't the end of their arc, Cold Steel I and II tell a fairly complete story by themselves.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 5, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

xseed passed on ys 8 when it was vita only because they didn't want to do any more vita games in 2017 (same with tokyo xanadu), then when it became not vita only they got swooped by nisa who were willing to put out the vita version as well as port the ps4 ver to pc and release it at around the same time (which didn't happen but hey). nis ported it to switch because their boss is drinking buddies with falcom's boss (this may have been a factor in the first part too)

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 5, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rookersh posted:

*tugs collar*

and the thread title is technically correct, the best kind of correct

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Cake Attack posted:

are you sure, since you literally need to get like no extra BP for it. Id be impressed. The actual one is basically the same except there's a part where everyone gets fully charged CP to use on the weakened boss.

Oh, actually you are correct. I forgot about the victory lap fight afterwards. My bad.

...I should replay FC.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

lets hang out posted:

xseed passed on ys 8 when it was vita only because they didn't want to do any more vita games in 2017 (same with tokyo xanadu), then when it became not vita only they got swooped by nisa who were willing to put out the vita version as well as port the ps4 ver to pc and release it at around the same time (which didn't happen but hey). nis ported it to switch because their boss is drinking buddies with falcom's boss (this may have been a factor in the first part too)

XSeed never passed on Ys VIII. That was Tokyo Xanadu, which was a lot more niche and stand-alone. The rest (NIS offering a same-day PC port release by their American subsidiary, a Switch port, more money, more marketting budget and NIS' boss and Kondo being drinking buddies) is true.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wouldn't agree with Coldsteel I and II being complete on their own, II kind of blatantly sequel baits in a way Sky SC didn't.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Whoops, super misread. CS/2 does leave some stuff open, but it does tie up the story of Class VII pretty well, since they're disbanded.

It doesn't finish the story of Erebonia, but that's because Erebonia's story is most of the Zemuria mega arc.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 6, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Double post somehow.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I was 100% okay with the CS1 ending but it helped that CS2 was out at the time, CS2 and the wait for CS3 stings though. Next quarter Japan will have CS4 and it hurts.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yo, Guren's released the Ao patch. Once the Geofront is done with Zero they'll move on to clean this up, but if you were fine with the current Zero patch, well now there's an Ao patch that isn't machine translated.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3679/

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Got through the opening of Chapter 4 in Ao and part of me wishes they just left Ilya or Fran dead. It's just the whole town gets raided and making the only losses nameless people kind of lacks impact, although I guess the Heiyue and IBC buildings count. Also, it looks like Mariabelle is the seventh Anguis and if that's true, I'm trying to figure out how someone continuously busy with running the continent's largest bank is able to be a superhuman fighter and member of Ouroboros all while keeping that under wraps. It would explain how Bleublanc snuck in to swipe her dolls though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Both Tio and Altina are really really good though. That and Altina is more analogous to KeA than Tio if you ask me. Very different personalities sure, with a similar arc for both of them.

Altina becomes good throughout the game, yeah, but earlier on she's very much a "deadpan little girl who doesn't show much emotion" sort of stereotype. The thing I like about Tio is that she is sorta like that, but is also friendly from the very beginning; I initially assumed that there would be some "is standoffish until gradually growing closer to the party" character arc.

Terper posted:

Yo, Guren's released the Ao patch. Once the Geofront is done with Zero they'll move on to clean this up, but if you were fine with the current Zero patch, well now there's an Ao patch that isn't machine translated.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3679/

Yeah, I just noticed, though Guren mentioned it wasn't actually him who posted the patch. Someone else did (under his name for some reason?) and then he contacted the person or something; he posted a comment about it on his blog. The translation seems considerably higher quality than the Zero one, even without editing, so far, though he mentioned something about the earlier parts of the game being translated by someone different, so who knows how it'll be later.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

he says the patch was actually stolen from his pc which is amazing

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The translation apparently gets worse when you get far into the game so that's a drag

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just noticed that the release date for CSIV apparently was decided quite a while back; Septermber 27, which isn't that long! I knew it was supposed to be Fall, but I had assumed it would be November or something.

havenwaters posted:

The translation apparently gets worse when you get far into the game so that's a drag

Maybe the edited version (which is supposedly still be worked on) will be done by the time I reach that point, though I won't exactly be holding my breath since it's already been like 4+ months. This time around I remembered to apply the HD patch, which is nice and makes a bunch of things + character portraits HD. I wish I had done that for Zero as well.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Altina becomes good throughout the game, yeah, but earlier on she's very much a "deadpan little girl who doesn't show much emotion" sort of stereotype. The thing I like about Tio is that she is sorta like that, but is also friendly from the very beginning; I initially assumed that there would be some "is standoffish until gradually growing closer to the party" character arc.

It's more or less a difference in upbringing between Altina and Tio.

:siren:CS3 & Zero spoilers:siren:

Altina never had much in the way of human interaction given the role Osborne had in mind for her, Millium was the favored sister between the two of them. Rean, Juna and the rest of her classmates are the first people who actually bother to interact with her and care about her wellbeing which is why she begins to open up and enjoy herself more instead of being cold and blunt to anything that isn't work related. Tio on the other hand despite still suffering from trauma from what D∴G Cult put her through still managed to recover at St. Ursula Medical College and get help in managing her trauma and while strained she still has contact with her parents, so she's in a much better state psychologically than Altina is. Part of her arc is accepting the Special Support Section as her new family and putting her trauma behind her fully.

Compare that to Renne even, who also suffered from D∴G Cult's abuse (arguably moreso than Tio), was rescued by Ouroboros and then placed under command of an Anguis who thinks Might Makes Right who more or less indoctrinates her and twists her worldview to the point she even believes her parents sold her to D∴G Cult and a lifetime of sex slavery, probably not helped by her exposure to Gnosis while in the Paradise lodge. Renne lost her family and became a lot more unstable and destructive because of it and it isn't until Estelle and Joshua try to connect with her that she begins to heal

If there's any overarching theme in the Trails games, I'd say it'd be family. Not just blood relations but people who become part of your family through shared experiences and bonds and you likewise see the inverse of that, people raised with dysfunctional or non-existent families and the repercussions that can cause to society as a whole.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's more or less a difference in upbringing between Altina and Tio.

:siren:CS3 & Zero spoilers:siren:

Altina never had much in the way of human interaction given the role Osborne had in mind for her, Millium was the favored sister between the two of them. Rean, Juna and the rest of her classmates are the first people who actually bother to interact with her and care about her wellbeing which is why she begins to open up and enjoy herself more instead of being cold and blunt to anything that isn't work related. Tio on the other hand despite still suffering from trauma from what D∴G Cult put her through still managed to recover at St. Ursula Medical College and get help in managing her trauma and while strained she still has contact with her parents, so she's in a much better state psychologically than Altina is. Part of her arc is accepting the Special Support Section as her new family and putting her trauma behind her fully.

Compare that to Renne even, who also suffered from D∴G Cult's abuse (arguably moreso than Tio), was rescued by Ouroboros and then placed under command of an Anguis who thinks Might Makes Right who more or less indoctrinates her and twists her worldview to the point she even believes her parents sold her to D∴G Cult and a lifetime of sex slavery, probably not helped by her exposure to Gnosis while in the Paradise lodge. Renne lost her family and became a lot more unstable and destructive because of it and it isn't until Estelle and Joshua try to connect with her that she begins to heal

If there's any overarching theme in the Trails games, I'd say it'd be family. Not just blood relations but people who become part of your family through shared experiences and bonds and you likewise see the inverse of that, people raised with dysfunctional or non-existent families and the repercussions that can cause to society as a whole.

When you get down to it, every arc thus far is driven by The main character and their relation to a family member. Estelle by Cassius and later Joshua, Lloyd to Guy, and Rean to Osborne.

Granted, Rean was decidedly unaware he was related to Osborne at the start...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Just like the other great modern saga, the Fast and the Furious franchise.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Supremezero posted:

When you get down to it, every arc thus far is driven by The main character and their relation to a family member. Estelle by Cassius and later Joshua, Lloyd to Guy, and Rean to Osborne.

Granted, Rean was decidedly unaware he was related to Osborne at the start...

Well, before that Rean's largely driven by his insecurity at his relation with his adoptive family.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

GrandpaPants posted:

Just like the other great modern saga, the Fast and the Furious franchise.

You're not wrong and now I'm imagining Zin as Han and Agate as Dom and I'm laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

well, that's that mystery sorted then

https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1016188626701574144