Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That onboard looks more like f-zero than real life. Holy hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the dab of brakes at the crest on flugplatz, no one's brave enough to take that flat. Does the same thing at the schwedenkreutz bridge.

Also how it's faster (or less damaging) to take the outside of karussell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Also how it's faster (or less damaging) to take the outside of karussell.

Probably the latter, they mentioned they already had to lift it up to deal with the bumps (and watch him get tossed around on the last straight). I'm sure at a point with a car that low, whatever time you give up taking the long way around karussell is more than made up with keeping the car lower with more downforce around the rest.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

We got our hands on the unedited version

https://www.facebook.com/1619640049/posts/10211625408223654/

I hope this is public lmao

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bape Culture posted:

Help i broke something inside

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

That last bit. :lol: perfect

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Probably the latter, they mentioned they already had to lift it up to deal with the bumps (and watch him get tossed around on the last straight). I'm sure at a point with a car that low, whatever time you give up taking the long way around karussell is more than made up with keeping the car lower with more downforce around the rest.

Yep, driving the inside would likely ruin lots of the aerodynamic wizardry under the car. Going into it you're driving over a pretty sharp edge, and the inside corners between the concrete slabs often hit the front bumpers of low cars. Around the relatively smooth outside I guess he can still enjoy some downforce, and going 92km/h through that corner still seems a pretty decent speed. Also, the difference between inside and outside can't be much more than a second or so.

One thing I don't get is what that green "boost" bar thing is for. It would make sense if it's showing when he's using electric power, but it's popping up in places where he isn't even on the throttle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's anything like the hybrid system in the Prius (and I'm not saying it is, I am posting hilarious comedy on the internet) it's the electric motor firing up because the engine charged the batteries above a threshold and it wants to dump some juice.

It's sort of amusing to watch the power distribution display on our Prius when cruising. It's constantly shifting arrows back and forth.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

ionn posted:

One thing I don't get is what that green "boost" bar thing is for. It would make sense if it's showing when he's using electric power, but it's popping up in places where he isn't even on the throttle.

They are running two energy recovery systems, one based on braking on the front wheels and the other is based on energy recovery from the exhaust of the engine.

I read it as more of a battery capacity meter.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bape Culture posted:

This is the best thing.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

xzzy posted:

If it's anything like the hybrid system in the Prius (and I'm not saying it is, I am posting hilarious comedy on the internet)

The Super GT Prius does use the same hybrid system as the street car, except with a GT300-spec V8 :eng101:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hackbunny posted:

The Super GT Prius does use the same hybrid system as the street car, except with a GT300-spec V8 :eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFbvYeFO8w4

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
What's the top NASCAR speed at Daytona/Talladega? 217-ish lap speed without restrictor plates, but how fast do they get going down the long flat bits, before they have to lift a bit for the turns?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't think they do 217mph average laps at Daytona, I think they are more like 190's. The cars now are slower than they used to be.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't think they do 217mph average laps at Daytona, I think they are more like 190's. The cars now are slower than they used to be.

Yes, hence the unrestricted. They do 200 mph laps at Michigan and Fontana though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i dont even reed gud

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
216.3mph is the no-plate lap record for Talledega. Race pace with plates is 186 or more.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 30, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Without physically going out and hitting cars with a radar gun down the back straight I dunno if you'd be able to get the peak instantaneous speed like that. Average speed based on lap time is the main thing relevant to racing so that's generally what the tracks are set up to measure.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Without physically going out and hitting cars with a radar gun down the back straight I dunno if you'd be able to get the peak instantaneous speed like that. Average speed based on lap time is the main thing relevant to racing so that's generally what the tracks are set up to measure.

It's not hard to figure out from engine RPM in the telemetry data. Knowing the car's maximum speed on the straight is important for optimizing braking and lines.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Do laptimes still count if you break the laws of physics?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Deteriorata posted:

It's not hard to figure out from engine RPM in the telemetry data. Knowing the car's maximum speed on the straight is important for optimizing braking and lines.

A fair point, but on the other hand those no-plate top-speed runs probably aren't gonna have publicly available telemetry. The team probably knows but unless they publish those peaks we plebs are probably SOL.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Do laptimes still count if you break the laws of physics?

I wonder if they have more. I wonder if the techs are looking at every frame of that video going "hmm we can dial up the boost for this section and get 0.7 seconds here, and change the active aero to kick in slightly later here for another 1.2" or whatever.

Basically I'd love to know if they think they can get it to 4:59.99.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Taking a chance here but god damnit I believe in myself.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wait in the Porsche lap, is that thing capping out at 228 mph?

Jesus that thing is insane.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

eyebeem posted:

Taking a chance here but god damnit I believe in myself.

Right thread in spirit at the very least.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

Wait in the Porsche lap, is that thing capping out at 228 mph?

Jesus that thing is insane.

It's such an incredible thing for a car company to do, even one as racing-focused as Porsche.

"OK folks here's an effectively unlimited budget, I want you to turn that already-insane sportscar into the absolute fastest weapon specifically for getting around the Nordschleife in as little time as humanly possible"

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
In fairness, I doubt it's "an effectively unlimited budget"; most of the changes from LMP spec look to be focused on removing restrictions in place due to rules. I bet there's a few "hey, I always wanted to try this!" things on it, but I'd be surprised if there was any, for example, new wind tunnel development.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

In fairness, I doubt it's "an effectively unlimited budget"; most of the changes from LMP spec look to be focused on removing restrictions in place due to rules. I bet there's a few "hey, I always wanted to try this!" things on it, but I'd be surprised if there was any, for example, new wind tunnel development.

Yeah given that they weren't in the WEC this year because of budget, it's more like use last year's unlimited budget.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah given that they weren't in the WEC this year because of budget, it's more like use last year's unlimited budget.

My understanding is that they are funding the 919 EVO program at a limited level, more to keep the project team together to keep the team together for the next set of rules in 2020 than anything else. I guess Porsche figured it would be cheaper to keep it running in a limited way than to start from scratch like they did in 2011, when the 919 program began.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I do wonder what a machine purpose-built to carry a human for a single lap around the Nordschleife with no other rules would look like. That Red Bull X2010 concept might not be too far off, but certainly something with more power-to-weight than an LMP car (which has lots of engine restrictions, and has to worry about fuel economy to some extent). Given how well that VW Pikes Peak machine did and that this is a comparable distance, maybe an all-electric?
And if you remove the human, then what size would it even be?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ionn posted:

I do wonder what a machine purpose-built to carry a human for a single lap around the Nordschleife with no other rules would look like.

Only car on the track? Should have an "air recovery" system that sucks in air from the front (or fan car style) and shoots it out of jets for downforce in corners and to smooth out flow at high speed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The What-If blog by Randall Munroe has an excellent entry on "no-rules NASCAR." Basically, the human body is the limiting factor.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

Only car on the track? Should have an "air recovery" system that sucks in air from the front (or fan car style) and shoots it out of jets for downforce in corners and to smooth out flow at high speed.

You mean kinda like an exhaust blown diffuser? :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The What-If blog by Randall Munroe has an excellent entry on "no-rules NASCAR." Basically, the human body is the limiting factor.

Thats not really 'no-rules Nascar'
Its just no-rules.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup. They found that out in CART when they went to Texas in 2001. The cars were way too powerful and were doing 220+ mph with high banking, basically running into G-LOC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Firehawk_600

Now they run around 450 HP for IndyCar.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats not really 'no-rules Nascar'
Its just no-rules.

quote:

To defeat friction, we could levitate the capsule with magnetic fields, and make it progressively smaller and lighter to accelerate and steer it more easily. Oops—we've accidentally built a particle accelerator.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

It says absolutely nothing on how to build said car other than "it's pretty easy to develop the design to the point where the human is the weakest part" with no further qualification or references. Also I reckon the optimal cars for Daytona (which had to be over several laps to be at all interesting) and the Nürburgring would be a bit different.

E: Also, since there's always someone like Randall Munroe who takes "no rules" a bit too far, I'd settle for the rule "no rebuilding the track into a particle accelerator". And putting mirrors and lenses in every corner and calling a steam of photons "a vehicle" doesn't count.

ionn fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think a reasonable set of rules are "the vehicle must contain a human and must remain in contact with the ground."

If it's only a single flying lap of the Nordschleife, I'm imagining something a lot like a LMP car except with bigger and more active wings, packs of vernier rockets for the tightest turns, and the human being sealed up in a pod full of jello and wearing an oxygen mask.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
With more traction (to the point of different/more wheels), a lot more active aero, complete computer control of the vehicle including a 3D map and pre-run simulation, and what Sagebrush was saying with OTU verniers for tricky corners, I can totally conceive a vehicle where the human is the weakest element re: gee forces, no doubt. We've already touched on that limit with ICE cars a few times in the past.