Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So to fully awaken the Dream Nail, I'm going to have to beat the Dream Versions of the bosses huh?

Not looking forward to that, and yet I really want to see the Palace.

Also is the delicate flower quest as frustrating as it looks? I'm not even sure where that grave she wants me to go to is located.

You only have to beat two if you’re thorough in picking up essence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Where is the vendor who I should visit to spend tree essence resource? I apologise for not knowing the correct term for it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So to fully awaken the Dream Nail, I'm going to have to beat the Dream Versions of the bosses huh?

Not looking forward to that, and yet I really want to see the Palace.

Also is the delicate flower quest as frustrating as it looks? I'm not even sure where that grave she wants me to go to is located.

It's in the other side of the map, in the queens gardens.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Where is the vendor who I should visit to spend tree essence resource? I apologise for not knowing the correct term for it.

You don’t spend it (well, except to set dream gates), just go back to the moth seer in the resting grounds every couple hundred essence and she might have a reward for you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

skasion posted:

You only have to beat two if you’re thorough in picking up essence.

You only have to beat one IIRC. That does mean collecting all of those little dream trees, which some people find super-annoying but I didn't think they were that bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

You only have to beat one IIRC. That does mean collecting all of those little dream trees, which some people find super-annoying but I didn't think they were that bad.

That’s true actually. I was thinking of the achievement which requires two or more bosses, but you can get into the palace well before that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You don't even have to do all the bosses to get the final achievement, since they added two in one of the DLC. I didn't do Soul Tyrant yet, but I did do Zote. Haven't done White Defender yet, either.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think I'm pretty close to the end, should I go to the Hollow Night below Dirtmouth first or do I find the other half of this white charm?

I don't want to accidentally end the game too soon.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Shoehead posted:

I think I'm pretty close to the end, should I go to the Hollow Night below Dirtmouth first or do I find the other half of this white charm?

I don't want to accidentally end the game too soon.

You should do things in that order.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

either choice you make the game lets you pick up from whatever bench you last saved at after you beat the final boss and keep going, letting you refight it at any time, so no reason to worry about missing anything by beating the last boss too soon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's a platforming segment in the Queens gardens, right to the left of the bench/mapmaker and down, underneath the room that locks you in with flying mantis . It's a thorny area where each spot you land in has a venus fly trap. and there's nothing in there...? You go around the whole area, unlock a shortcut, and there isn't a single drat thing in here. Am I missing something? What gives?

Seems very out of character for the game to have something like that without something at the end.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s for a sidequest

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cowcaster posted:

it’s for a sidequest

I think he's talking about something else.

You hit a lever in that platforming section, right? That opens a path you probably didn't even realise was closed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I think he's talking about something else.

You hit a lever in that platforming section, right? That opens a path you probably didn't even realise was closed.

Yeah it occurred to me later that there was a lever in there that I had hit/was probably the purpose of that section. Still have no idea what it opened haha.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's pretty common to go into that section without even seeing the closed door so you have no idea that it was closed in the first place.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
tips for bosses if you're struggling is just to focus on dodging to the best of your abilities, don't even consider attacking before you can get the boss attacks down pat. Especially bosses that deal two masks. If you feel comfortable jumping and dodging, you can start to weave in spells/whacks

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I saw a door in the waterway that lead to the fungal area, which was closed. I went to the bench in the fungal area and went down to rescue the girl, and saw that the door was open from the other side. I didn't remember opening it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I find it dumb that I can die almost instantly to a boss 29 times then realize how to dodge then beat them easily.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wild Horses posted:

tips for bosses if you're struggling is just to focus on dodging to the best of your abilities, don't even consider attacking before you can get the boss attacks down pat. Especially bosses that deal two masks. If you feel comfortable jumping and dodging, you can start to weave in spells/whacks

i fully recommend the opposite: don’t learn anything, don’t dodge anything, put on the +damage on basic attacks and the +attack speed badge and go hawg wild

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How do I get to Cornifer in Fog City?, the place below Greenpath? I can hear him humming but there's a jet of black cum blocking my path. I just unlocked the big elevator.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Reality Loser posted:

How do I get to Cornifer in Fog City?, the place below Greenpath? I can hear him humming but there's a jet of black cum blocking my path. I just unlocked the big elevator.

I believe there's an alt route to get into fog canyon

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You'll come back to Fog Canyon later, don't worry about it for now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there’s an ability to get through the black cum and there’s an alternate route to get around the black cum but if you’re like me both of those things are only going to be late in the game

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Over There posted:

I find it dumb that I can die almost instantly to a boss 29 times then realize how to dodge then beat them easily.

You jest, but there is some truth to that. My first conquest of Mantis Lords, generally regarded as a good boss fight, took dozens of attempts and felt epic. But, because they are conceptually so simple, and their limited move set has such clear telegraphs, it now feels too simple (though still satisfying) to beat them with no damage.

I'm not saying that's a flaw mind, and any attempts to "fix" it would probably hurt the first-time experience (except for possibly adding a dream version), but it is what it is.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i fully recommend the opposite: don’t learn anything, don’t dodge anything, put on the +damage on basic attacks and the +attack speed badge and go hawg wild

There are several fights, including most harder ones (Mantis Lords, Watcher Knights, most if not all dream bosses) where this will not work.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you just named two bosses where i got through them just fine with it so i don’t think that’s true. it’s not going to cut the mustard against dream bosses for the most part for sure, but those two?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
You might be right I guess, I never actively tried to do it that way, because it seemed pointless. With Mantis Lords I figured you'd get 2 hits in for every hit you take, because they will disappear quickly after that. There's not a lot of downtime between attacks where you can spam.

And with Watcher Knights, you'd need to average taking one single hit per Knight. Can you really rush them down *that* fast? (though I guess, if you're truly rushing them down, there might be enough downtime between their spawns that you can just heal)

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It can be. Once you know where to go, try and plan your route out first, and you shouldn't have too much trouble, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I open the doors that look like big metal bug shells?

Edit: It kind of occurred to me that last night when I was bitching about the Crystal Guardian that I was talking about the second encounter above the bench, which is wildly more difficult. I can see why someone would think I'm nuts for complaining about the first encounter. I honestly forgot it was even a thing I did it so early in the game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 30, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

1: Hit a nearby lever
2: Hit them
3: Hit them from the other side
4: Drive a tram through them
5: You don't

Select one depending on which metal bug shell door you are talking about.

e: ^^ Both forms of the crystal guardian are easy and I chumped him with an unupgraded nail and no special charms or combat abilities. He doesn't really change much between forms, he just does double damage (but is still no better at hitting you).

Darox fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 30, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ones that look like tram doors but are normal sized. They are a bronze color and look like they connect different areas but are locked from both sides.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

The ones that look like tram doors but are normal sized. They are a bronze color and look like they connect different areas but are locked from both sides.

Where are they

There's one in the Fog Canyon that never gets opened

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Dancer posted:

There are several fights, including most harder ones (Mantis Lords, Watcher Knights, most if not all dream bosses) where this will not work.

I beat Watcher Knight by slapping on the fast attack, strength charm and the longer iframe charm because I figured them ganging up on you was a dps check

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

It can be. Once you know where to go, try and plan your route out first, and you shouldn't have too much trouble, though.

I know I need to go to the Garden, but do I need to go somewhere specific or does just waltzing in there count?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There's a little spot just above the stag station, that's where you need to take it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks. So those are my next plans, that quest, the Dream trees, and a boss... I've beaten all the main-game bosses thus far. I have all the Soul vessels, but I'm missing around 7 charms and the final mask. I'll admit I'm not going full blind anymore, but I managed to pick up everything else on my own. I still have the Journal to finish up but I think I'll do that last, so that I can take care of the most everything else prior.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Here's the route I took if you're interested and a tip or two about charms:

Resting Grounds -> Blue Lake (you can just Crystal Dash all the way across -> Forgotten Crossroads -> Fog Canyon (NOT Fungal Wastes) -> Queen's Gardens -> Straight across to the Traitor's Grave.

It's only a few screens. It still took me 4 tries because I kept getting hit in dumb ways (mostly by forgetting, repeatedly, that Infected Vengeflies explode on death) but I was done in 15 minutes or so. I set a Dream Gate right by the Mourner's house in anticipation of loving up and I recommend it.

I used Unbreakable Strength, Quick Slash, and Shaman Stone; being able to one-shot the mantises in Queen's Garden with shadow hadouken before they knew I was there was helpful. You can do without Unbreakable Strength but I find Quick Slash pretty indispensable for killing the Infected Vengeflies safely.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I’ve decided that City of Tears is my favorite zone in any 2D game. The atmosphere, ambience, backgrounds, effects, and music...it’s all sooo drat good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

most harder ones (Mantis Lords, Watcher Knights, most if not all dream bosses)
:psyduck:

do people really think the mantis lords are watcher knighs/dream fights level hard? it's one of the best and most fun fights in the entire game if you fight them when you first get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

:psyduck:

do people really think the mantis lords are watcher knighs/dream fights level hard? it's one of the best and most fun fights in the entire game if you fight them when you first get there

Mantises are a gigantic difficulty spike from the whole two bosses you have fought in the game up till then. Not that they aren't fun but I think the optional nature of them and the fact that Quirrel suggests you go get an upgrade first are a pretty clear signal to turn around and try again later.