Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Here's my mediocre contribution.

First we've got Pedro Kantor, I promise he looks okay in person and not like the complete mess it does in the photo

Pedro's loyal bigly lieutenants

And the captain that has not once seen table time since I started proxying Pedro and eventually got the model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Schadenboner posted:

Got a cite or a name (or anything :google:able really, I think I have most of them and I Would Like To Know More)?

I think it was issue 40 or 41, and it may have been something from Tim Huckleberry's own cult, the Church of the Four-Armed Emperor.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

moths posted:

I think it was issue 40 or 41, and it may have been something from Tim Huckleberry's own cult, the Church of the Four-Armed Emperor.

Janos Armistadt it looks like.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I suppose I should post a few characters of my own. I've been trying really hard to improve this year so anything I painted before then basically looks like rear end.

My current standard:

My old captain:

My partially completed Sanguinor including crooked sword. I really like the gold at least:

Primaris Ancient who apparently needs his lenses painted and banner finished:

Gravis Captain who's edge highlighting is way, way to bright:

and a Primaris Lieutenant who also appears to need his lenses painted:

Oh, and this guy counts right? He's going to be a character 99% of the time I take him

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Hixson posted:

o i forgot to post Curze

Seconding that skin being amazing. Mind sharing the recipe?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
thirding the recipe request so I can make a lovely version of it later

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Harkano posted:

Seconding that skin being amazing. Mind sharing the recipe?

Lots of lotion

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I'm real partial to my Typhus and his buddies:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Sure!

The base coat is mostly citadel karak stone with a drop or 2 of red added to make it a dark pink. I use Vallejo bloody red, but pretty much any bright red will work. Then a wash with citadel Carroburg Crimson. Re-highlight with the base color. Then progressively highlight up adding citadel kislev flesh to pure kislev flesh. Then just add blood effects to taste.

Its a real simple process

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, time to jump on the characters bandwagon! Gonna split into a few posts, there's a lot of pics...

Imperial stuff first!

Hellbats Space Marines
Only a couple of guys here, the rest are buried in a box somewhere and are awful anyway...

Chaplain

Chief Librarian

Salamanders Space Marines
Old timey minis, mostly RT era with some 2nd ed conversions and bitz.

Apothecaries

Chaplain and Techmarine

Captain and mook in prototype Terminator armour

Librarians

Imperial Agents
Old timey allies for the old timey Salamanders

Inquisitor, Assassin and Tech Priest

Alpha Barracudas Space Marines
From BeerForTheBeerGod's Chapter Challenge

Primaris Ancient

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Next up, Chaos

Heretic Orkstartes
My counts-as Chaos Marines army

Daemon Princes

Chaos Lord

Dark Apostle (or some generic cheap summon monkey)

Sorcerers (occasionally extra Weirdboys in my Ork army)

Not technically a character but I like this guy. Leader of a Cultist squad

Waaaagh Demons
Mostly summon fodder for the above army. Inspired in part by BuffChix's Tree Demons.

Heralds of Khorne

Bloodthirsters

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, y'all're getting SLAMBO'd

I don't play AoS and never will :colbert:, but I couldn't pass on this guy. I painted him for a painting competition at my old store and ended up winning first place. It was a fun project and I learned a lot about blending though that green took a stupid amount of time on its own. I think he took like 20 hours, all told, with at least half of that just being the green. There are a couple of touch-ups I'd like to do as I was really pressed for time at the end; I had him on his base like an hour before I had to be at the store. :v:

I would never paint a model like this again.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Raphus C posted:

Lots of lotion

And the occasional hosing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

And the occasional hosing.

Only if there is insufficient lotioning though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

And finally, Orks

Slavers. Wound up with a lot of these due to having a bunch of Grots and Snots in earlier editions.

Painboy and Mad Doc Grotsnik (painted as a Goff as per his original incarnation)

Weirdboyz

Mekboyz

Big Meks. Mostly with KFFs or SAGs (the latter were converted for the 'Shokk Attack Battery Apocalypse formation a few editions back)

Warbosses

Snakebite 'Biker' Warboss

My version of Wazdakka

Zagstruk and Badrukk

Used to be a counts as Eversor Assassin back in 7th (thanks to detachment shenanigans) but is now a shelf filler

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Schadenboner posted:

Only if there is insufficient lotioning though.

In an ideal world there would be no need for the hose at all.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In an ideal world there would be no need for the hose at all.

"This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you..." sighed Buffalo Bill as he unrolled the hose.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

gently caress it, y'all're getting SLAMBO'd

I don't play AoS and never will :colbert:, but I couldn't pass on this guy. I painted him for a painting competition at my old store and ended up winning first place. It was a fun project and I learned a lot about blending though that green took a stupid amount of time on its own. I think he took like 20 hours, all told, with at least half of that just being the green. There are a couple of touch-ups I'd like to do as I was really pressed for time at the end; I had him on his base like an hour before I had to be at the store. :v:

I would never paint a model like this again.

I love this. Beautiful blending

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Characters!

Canoness:

Celestine

Inquisitor Pals:

Hospitaller:

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

Characters!
Hospitaller:

The eternal struggle, bite the bullet and pay 70 canadabucks for a box just for a Hospitaller or wait for the remakes. They're just such a rad model!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cainer posted:

The eternal struggle, bite the bullet and pay 70 canadabucks for a box just for a Hospitaller or wait for the remakes. They're just such a rad model!

I wasn't as much of a fan of they way they turned out as I was of the concept art, but Anvil's Burning Rose has a Hospitaller coming out soon I think?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I wasn't as much of a fan of they way they turned out as I was of the concept art, but Anvil's Burning Rose has a Hospitaller coming out soon I think?

Oh ya the one that looked like a plague doctor? I'll have to check that out when they become available.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cainer posted:

Oh ya the one that looked like a plague doctor? I'll have to check that out when they become available.

Yeah. Additionally, the fact that no third-party has (to my knowledge) produced a spruce of plague doctor mask-heads is one of the more :confused: things, given their grimdarkness and popularity.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Deified Data posted:

I'm sorry but a day long apoc game with mostly new players sounds...challenging

Other than a couple of cat-herding moments it went pretty well all things considered.

A lot of it was the LGS owner testing out some different house-rules and for the purpose of basically bringing our dumbest stuff and smashing them together they worked pretty well.

One of the weirder things was getting used to not having to worry about the matched play restrictions like the rule of one.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Cainer posted:

Is there a release date for that stuff BTW? Because I am very interested.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here's my Templar characters, plus some Inquisition weirdos.
Marshall Siegward

Marshall Dietrich Donnerschlag, "The Schlong Donger"

Marshall Lowe

Castellan Draco

Chaplain

Terminator Chaplain

Chaplain Grimaldus and his hype men

The Emperor's Champion

High Marshall Helbrecht

Apothecary

Techmarine

Inquisitor and retinue

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Imperial Characters!

White Panthers
I started these guys back in '98 when I saw the paint scheme in an issue of White Dwarf and thought it just looked cool as hell. I regret nothing. Except maybe some of those really early paintjobs, that have since been abandoned to a random trash can somewhere.
Chapter Master

Captain

Deathwatch
Started these guys like 2 months before Deathwatch: Overkill was released because I wanted to do a bunch of marines from different chapters and model different stuff. These guys are terrible, but they've been a blast to model and paint!

Watch Master

Captain Artemis. This is probably my favorite model I've ever painted, tied with maybe Magnus.

Jansen Natorius, Blood Ravens Librarian

Chaplain Cassius

Apothecary Kregor Thann. The Deathwatch still can't take regular Apothecaries, so this guy is a counts-as Primaris now.

Probably the best face I've ever painted:

Also my Black Legion Cabal I never posted earlier. Also :rip: a 7th edition formation

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRM posted:

Apothecary

Yeah... sorry boss, I don't think I can bring this one back.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also my Black Legion Cabal I never posted earlier. Also :rip: a 7th edition formation

Wouldn't this be a cromulant SCD?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Now for the Heresy Ultras
Legion Herald

Master of Signals

Terminator Praetor

Chaplain

Command section with Praetor, Herald, and Apothecary

Apothecary

Roboute Guilliman

Bonus Imperial Space Marine

Bonus Vindicare

I'll do more armies later.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
SRM, your mans are gorgeous as always. I love your Black Templars!

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah... sorry boss, I don't think I can bring this one back.

Wouldn't this be a cromulant SCD?

yeah but there's no particular benefit to doing that and you can already just take 3 sorcerers in a battalion if you want to forego other HQs. They used to be able to mind control poo poo, and so a cabal was must-take for a little while there.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Sadly I don't see a release date, just a "full range will be available for retail sale shortly after we finish shipping all backer rewards!"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BigRed0427 posted:

Cainer posted:

Sadly I don't see a release date, just a "full range will be available for retail sale shortly after we finish shipping all backer rewards!"

My feeling is that it's a pretty small bunch of guys and the KS was really successful. It might be a while. :sigh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When you guys paint your Armigers do you try to cover up the seams on stuff like the legs? It seems like a royal pain in the rear end.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Any seams usually get taken care of with plastic glue and a little sanding. I think all the really obnoxious difficult to fix ones on Armigers are at the joints, and those are covered by armor plates.

If there’s any visible seams after priming, I’ll go a little heavy with the basecoat at the crevice to try and smooth it over. It’s not perfect but it makes it a lot less visible.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Commisariat time

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Played in a Vanguard detachment tournament today at my local GW store. Got 3 games in, and boy were they stupid. 2v2, 1000 points per player, vanguard detachments only, on a 4x4 table. You can imagine how this worked out. I was teamed up with a Custodes and I brought Deathwatch.

Since my elite choices are some what limited, I brought a nice strikeforce of veterans alongside the Watch Master in a Corvus, (yes, in retrospect kinda dumb, but it actually performed fairly well and drew a lot of attention away from the Custodes) and two units of reivers and my venerable dreadnought

Game 1

Matched up against World Eaters and Death Guard. Death Guard player had two plagueburst crawlers, two bloat drones, a daemon prince of nurgle, and filled his elite choices out with two foul blightspawns and something else I can't recall.

The World Eaters player had a Forgeworld walker with giant swords for hands and some other weird poo poo.

The game was decided essentially on turn 1, because each table had random Open War cards. Our cards? Scenario was a control-point mission with six objectives where you try to take your opponents' and burn them when you land on em.

Naturally, our opponents dropped a tank on each of their objectives. The deployment? Each team's entire table half. So on a 4-foot table, a Khorne list started 2 feet away. Fun. Oh, and the twist? Acid Rain. All shooting is -1 to hit for turn 1, then on we had to roll a 4+ to get rid of it, which I had to use one of my 4 command points to dispel.

Granted, my list was weak far as elites go, so I didn't expect a ton of success, but that game was just sorta frustrating as the odds were stacked against us from the start.

Game 2

This game we faced 1k points each of Custodes and Sisters. The Sisters player brought loving Celestine, a penitent engine and that organ tank. The elite choices were 3 squads of 5 sisters. Also two tanks with twin multi-meltas.

Mission was 3 objective points, hold each for a point, hold for 2 turns for D3 points. Celestine could act of faith herself across the board, I killed her with decapitation doctrine and she came back, spawned on the other side of the map then flew over to kill my squad.

Most obnoxious though was the fact that the Sisters player "forgot" my unit of Reivers was closer and shot at my teammate's Warlord and killed him while I was away from the table (my teammate is new and they probably shouldn't have rushed him) and I suddenly heard my opponent shout "WE GOT SLAY THE WARLORD!!!" I pointed to my Reivers and they quieted down, but it was sort of this tone of 'in your face!' that was just sorta dumb for a for-fun no-prize tournament.

Game 3

We were up against 2 Space Wolves players that brought fun lists with interesting elites (Lone Wolf, Wolfen, couple Venerable Dreads) and we had a back-and-forth battle that we narrowly won. They were both players I've played with and against before and it was cordial and entertaining. Also neither of them brought a bullshit character that resurrects and doesn't really belong on a dang 1k point list.

All-in-all I learned a lot about how I Reivers are just meh, and that I should have probably brought my Imperial Fists. Although tbh they wouldn't have fared much better, it was just a big tank/walkerfest. Also 4x4 tables shouldn't exceed 1500 per side, and even that's stretching it.

I'm working on a 2k Deathwatch list with lots and lots of Veterans and my new Chaplain Ven Dread that won't be ready for a few weeks. Gonna try 1 Corvus and just a lot of shooty. I always have the most fun with my veteran squads, even when I get smashed.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Is it still Character Weekend?
I posted the WIP yesterday, but I finally sat down and finished my kitbashed counts-as Colonel Straken.
Also the first ever photos using my new lightbox.

Colonel Aeryn Strune
Leader of the 11th Korcari Infantry.

Gifted augmetics and unique weapons from the hands of Archmagos Polentam herself, following a heroic, if costly, defense of her forge world.

First of these is the Graviton Cutlass. Instead of the matter disruption field of a traditional power sword, this one of a kind blade use a graviton generator augments the wielder's swings. By using gravity fields to alter the effective weight of the sword during the swing, it enables lightning quick swings that crash into their target with the force of a heavy industrial servitor.

The other is the automatic shotgun aptly named Shredder. A novel feed system combining a high capacity drum with a heavy double barreled shotgun allows for extended one handed firing. High recoil and a pistol grip means that the Shredder is unusable by anyone not sporting a bionic arm or wearing power armour.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The centerpiece of my Imperial Fists, Captain Darnath Lysander

He once 1-shot a hellbrute then put 12 on a defiler the next turn. He's a boss dude

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

SRM, your mans are gorgeous as always. I love your Black Templars!

Thanks man, it's a shame they've been getting the poo poo kicked out of them lately because I love the look on the table, they just aren't delivering like I wish they would.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When you guys paint your Armigers do you try to cover up the seams on stuff like the legs? It seems like a royal pain in the rear end.
I've done that on stuff like old terrain kits where the gaps were really bad, but generally I ignore it. Primer isn't quite thick enough to cover it. Armor plates on Knights generally cover a lot of those seams fairly well though.

Yeast posted:

Commisariat time

Man your paintjobs are always gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Yeast posted:

Commisariat time

In love with that Commissar