Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Plus SSD's are somewhat dirt cheap these days and the 1TB versions are very reasonable imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
If you’re a data hoarder just buy more ssds if you’re not poor and if you are poor? Hell I’d recommend not being poor

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Just release the map, what could go wrong

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phobeste posted:

If you’re a data hoarder just buy more ssds if you’re not poor and if you are poor? Hell I’d recommend not being poor

Even if you are a data hoarder, how much does the random access time matter on the majority of things? Does the extra half second it takes to start playing a movie or TV show make a meaningful difference?

OS, applications, and main games should definitely be on SSD, but that sort of stuff goes on cheap bulk storage drives IMO.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

wolrah posted:

Even if you are a data hoarder, how much does the random access time matter on the majority of things? Does the extra half second it takes to start playing a movie or TV show make a meaningful difference?

OS, applications, and main games should definitely be on SSD, but that sort of stuff goes on cheap bulk storage drives IMO.

Sorry I can't hear you over my not using any HDDs ever again!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone once scared me that SSDs had a far lower lifetime than HDDs and my 2011 SSD has outlived so many WD Blacks that if I have to bite my tongue tomorrow it'll still have been a great purchase.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

wolrah posted:

Use an SSD for your operating system and other applications. Your OS will be completely booted up and ready to roll in what feels like less than ten seconds. Games just take up a metric gently caress ton of storage, so putting them on the faster drive will increase performance for your 10+ GB applications.

Use an HDD for bulk storage. Stash all of your videos, music, pictures, and whatever archived data you hang on to there.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I use a 1050ti and get roughly 65fps per game, worth drops below 40 in certain areas. I'd like to upgrade, but I wasn't to do monitor first since it's cheaper. Would it be worth it to very a 144hz monitor with this video card? Or would I need to upgrade the video card too to make it worthwhile?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hockles posted:

I use a 1050ti and get roughly 65fps per game, worth drops below 40 in certain areas. I'd like to upgrade, but I wasn't to do monitor first since it's cheaper. Would it be worth it to very a 144hz monitor with this video card? Or would I need to upgrade the video card too to make it worthwhile?

Uh you would absolutely need a new video card. Probably a 1080 or 1070ti, because I don't know if a 1070 alone would give you consistent 144 fps. It probably would with everything on low/ultra low

-depends on your cpu as well

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Penpal posted:

Uh you would absolutely need a new video card. Probably a 1080 or 1070ti, because I don't know if a 1070 alone would give you consistent 144 fps. It probably would with everything on low/ultra low

-depends on your cpu as well

I wasn't sure if going to 144hz made a difference if I also didn't have over 100 frames.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

Hockles posted:

You should get a video card first. If you buy a nice 1440 144hz monitor, or something along those lines, you won't reap any of the benefits with a 1050.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Elentor posted:

Someone once scared me that SSDs had a far lower lifetime than HDDs and my 2011 SSD has outlived so many WD Blacks that if I have to bite my tongue tomorrow it'll still have been a great purchase.

this was true of early SSDs, and particularly small SSDs. Most SSDs people buy today will last as long or longer than a mechanical drive

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hockles posted:

Depends on your resolution. If you're running 1920x1080 the 1050ti is more than enough. I get good fps with my old as poo poo i5 3570k and 1050ti. It's a beast of a card, even though it's considered entry level these days.

Edit: NM you're at 65 and want more, then it would be a vid card / processor combo depending.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 1, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Hockles posted:

I wasn't sure if going to 144hz made a difference if I also didn't have over 100 frames.

I mean

You need more than just 100 frames, you need about 144 frames a second to take advantage of the 144hz refresh rate, that's the entire reason you buy an expensive HFR monitor

I mean do what you want with your money but if you got a 144 panel without a really good graphics card like a 1080 it would be like living alone and buying a 3 million dollar six bedroom/six bath house and only furnishing the bedroom you sleep in

It just don't make sense

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Phobeste posted:

Instructions unclear. Bank account has minus sign next to numbers.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Penpal posted:

I mean

You need more than just 100 frames, you need about 144 frames a second to take advantage of the 144hz refresh rate, that's the entire reason you buy an expensive HFR monitor

I mean do what you want with your money but if you got a 144 panel without a really good graphics card like a 1080 it would be like living alone and buying a 3 million dollar six bedroom/six bath house and only furnishing the bedroom you sleep in

It just don't make sense

Ok, I just am literally unaware of how the refresh rate works on a computer and was seeing if I could get away with just getting a monitor. I don't want to make a $1000 commitment on an upgrade like this. So, I'll just suffer through what I have now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If you get a Gsync monitor then you also get the benefit of less tearing, and higher refresh rate on the desktop and other games.

I’ve got a 1060 and get around 80-100fps and it’s been absolutely worth it. I was recently away from work for several weeks, using only my Asus PG279Q at home. I came back to my 60hz monitor and even normal desktop usage felt jarring.

Unarelated: currently watching Battle Royale. Did Beat Takeshi lose a bet or something?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I run a 970 and an i2500k with a 1440p 144hz monitor with essentially no FPS issues(I think 70-90 FPS). Most graphics settings are medium, with a few on low(like effects and foliage).

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
trying to get that molotov kill to register for the event pass is a motherfucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFz2pT9kQX8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol @ installing a game on an HDD in the year of our lord 2018.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

trying to get that molotov kill to register for the event pass is a motherfucker

Is it one of those that only counts if you do it
In single player? I heard the pan kill one works that way.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 1, 2018

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In single player? I heard the pan kill one worns that way.

I believe you have to finish them with it, not down them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have a 1070 with a 1080p 144hz monitor. No gsync, but I don't notice any stuttering. I get anywhere from 90-144 frames with settings mixed to look pretty good. Textures / AA on ultra, everything else a mix of medium and high.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFz2pT9kQX8

I got my molotov kill on Tuesday or Wednesday. Then between Thursday and Saturday, my dailies didn't reset. Last night I finally got new dailies, and then also credit for my molotov kill from earlier in the week.

Game has some issues.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Hockles posted:

Game has some issues.

New thread title please WBG.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In single player? I heard the pan kill one works that way.

Gildiss posted:

I believe you have to finish them with it, not down them.

got my pan kill in a duo match and it registered

and if this isnt finishing them with it then i dont know what is

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I have a 1080Ti with a 144hz monitor and I have basically everything on Low/Very Low to keep my FPS as high as possible - I'm assuming I could tune it a bit so the game looked less like rear end but I have been too lazy. Since it is not a great-looking game, in general, I'm not sure I'm missing anything.

Even with my settings I'll have games with bizarre dips into the 70's on occasion.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
New dearsomeone is out

https://youtu.be/BSHAdYa3gvM

It's also the last one, as dearsomeone says he's calling it quits.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I am not a fan of daily mission crap. I have been teamed up with multiple people who are just trying to get that objective; TKing and reviving, driving around just to get the mileage in a vehicle, etc.

If it happens in the course of normal play cool, but when people on a squad are just in it for the grind it takes away from the fun of just playing a game.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hard to imagine playing pugs could really be much worse

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

JEEVES420 posted:

I am not a fan of daily mission crap. I have been teamed up with multiple people who are just trying to get that objective; TKing and reviving, driving around just to get the mileage in a vehicle, etc.

If it happens in the course of normal play cool, but when people on a squad are just in it for the grind it takes away from the fun of just playing a game.
Haha what the hell? Who would do this in a million years? The world sucks and blue hole sucks worse.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hockles posted:

Ok, I just am literally unaware of how the refresh rate works on a computer and was seeing if I could get away with just getting a monitor. I don't want to make a $1000 commitment on an upgrade like this. So, I'll just suffer through what I have now.

Basically the way it works is, the refresh rate is the highest FPS the monitor can show you. If you have a 60hz monitor, 60fps will look the same as 120. If you have a 144hz monitor, 144fps will be noticeably smoother than 60fps instead of just being "60fps with a performance buffer."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Anyone here have experience with high refresh rate monitors with gsnyc/freesync versus without gsync/freesync? Is there a noticeable difference between sub-144 frames with the technology vs without it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
GSYNC is awesome but expensive.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Basically the way it works is, the refresh rate is the highest FPS the monitor can show you. If you have a 60hz monitor, 60fps will look the same as 120. If you have a 144hz monitor, 144fps will be noticeably smoother than 60fps instead of just being "60fps with a performance buffer."

I see. Thanks for your informative reply!

That being said, anyone wanna sell me a 1070 or 1080 for like $100? :haw:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hellsau posted:

GSYNC is awesome but expensive.

I hear it's cool but I've never seen it in action. I know it's supposed to reduce "stuttering" at frame rates below the monitors refresh rate, but I don't notice anything I would call "stuttering" when I'm under 144 frames on my non-gsync monitor.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

then maybe solo or play with people you know????

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I've got a 144hz with free-sync but an Nvidia card so from what I understand the free-sync doesn't do anything. That said I've never noticed and stuttering or tearing and don't know if I've seen a set up running the correct combo of sync and video card. For the price that gsync adds to the monitor it better do something amazing though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't recall ever having a good game with random people in a squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I got carried pretty heavily by some random guy in duo once. However I managed to get us killed of course. That's my random play story.