Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I don't how what you like about the OS though, the GUI is garbage and has very little keyboard support, simple stuff on Windows like Windows Key + Arrow Key is totally unspported. Oh and the Finder is near useless as a file manager. gently caress that poo poo.

That Windows + arrow key trick is great for sure. I don't use it a ton at home but I use it constantly at work.

I'm surprised to read that about Finder--I'd always heard it compared favorably to Explorer. Plus things like quick look or that trick where you can force click on a link in Safari to open a preview of it if you just want to look at something real quick without opening a new tab.

Like it's all dumb little stuff, honestly, and I should probably just hop on board the XPS train. Now I just need to decide if I have any use at all for a 4K screen on a 15-inch laptop...

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ThinkPad P1 spotted in the wild:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-First-picture-of-the-potential-Dell-XPS-15-competitor.313574.0.html

Slim bezels, looks like an XPS 15 competitor, no numpad.

The person who uploaded it claims it has an i5 8305G with Vega graphics over EMIB.

This thing ticks so many of my boxes, I'm even a little upset that I have a new laptop on the way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NewFatMike posted:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P1-First-picture-of-the-potential-Dell-XPS-15-competitor.313574.0.html

The person who uploaded it claims it has an i5 8305G with Vega graphics over EMIB.

This thing ticks so many of my boxes, I'm even a little upset that I have a new laptop on the way.

So it’s a 15” carbon x1?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Huawei Matebook Pro review

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13021/the-huawei-matebook-x-pro-review-calling-out-the-competition

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ordered the XPS 15 with a 4k screen because gently caress it, let's do this fancy computer thing

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is there any conclusive info on the number of pci-e lanes available to the tb3 port? What about for the i5 version without the descreet graphics?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Harrow posted:

Ordered the XPS 15 with a 4k screen because gently caress it, let's do this fancy computer thing

hell yeah. come back with your thoughts after it arrives

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

So it’s a 15” carbon x1?

Sounds like it, but with discrete graphics instead of integrated. So the Carbon X1 would more closely compete with the XPS 13 and the P1 with the XPS 15.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I ended up buying this Dell G7 as my HTPC. There's currently a 15% off (up to $100) PERFECTDAY ebay coupon, so I got this for $718 before tax. The main minuses for this model seem to be meh screen and battery life, which do not affect my usage case whatsoever.

My desktop set up in my office is an i7-860 with a Radeon 5770 that's essentially acting as a NAS for me at this point, so I can use this to bounce back and forth between HTPC and office usage, too. It has TB3 in case I want to be lazy and go the dock route.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 29, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

gently caress, that's literally my dream machine, I wonder how lenovo hosed it up

even if they didn't I'd have to wait at least 6 months due to the insane initial pricing they put on those things :(

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

gently caress, that's literally my dream machine, I wonder how lenovo hosed it up

even if they didn't I'd have to wait at least 6 months due to the insane initial pricing they put on those things :(

Right?? Of course it's right after my new laptop gets ordered :negative:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wouldn't buy gen 1 products from Lenovo. The X1 Carbon sucked like the first 4 years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Time delta between when Lenovo shows it off and when it is available in your market ranges from 4 months to a year, and they're gonna jack the price up for the first three months.

How good is that Vega GPU against a 1050 class GPU

And can you upgrade any part of it? Thinkpad's slow slide into MacBook-style "what you buy is what you get" is really starting to turn me off.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
is there any existing discussion on undervolting here? I've been reading about ThrottleStop and am wondering if anyone here has thoughts? Sounds like the i7-8750h does well, with 10-15% reductions in temperatures

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

is there any existing discussion on undervolting here? I've been reading about ThrottleStop and am wondering if anyone here has thoughts? Sounds like the i7-8750h does well, with 10-15% reductions in temperatures

TS is good for more advanced undervolting controls, such as undervolting the cpu and cache by different amounts.

If want a simpler program check out Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility.

Basic method on post Skylake chips is to start at - 80mv or so and then gradually increase the undervolt, stress testing along the way until you get instability.

I get - 125mv stable on my 7700hq but I've seen some users reporting - 150mv. Every chip is different.

You can also undervolt the igpu, and in my experience sometimes by even more than the cpu.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I realize that any answers I get are going to be pure speculation, but a friend of mine needs a new laptop (of course, in the realm of $500 - I know). Is she likely to be better off buying immediately during the July 4th sale some mfg's are having, or waiting a couple weeks for Amazon Prime Day? I haven't shopped laptops in ages so I'm not sure where the best deals to be had are.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Shooting Blanks posted:

I realize that any answers I get are going to be pure speculation, but a friend of mine needs a new laptop (of course, in the realm of $500 - I know). Is she likely to be better off buying immediately during the July 4th sale some mfg's are having, or waiting a couple weeks for Amazon Prime Day? I haven't shopped laptops in ages so I'm not sure where the best deals to be had are.

What’s the job to be done? How urgent is the purchase?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hadlock posted:

Right now is a really good time to buy an XPS 15

The next MacBook Pro will likely have an improved keyboard, but otherwise similar to the XPS 15

Check out the Thinkpad X280 12" or X380 13", or look at the XPS 13.

The XPS 15 comes in a $999 model but they cut a lot of corners, like shrinking the battery by half, to meet that price point. But the XPS series are fully upgradable

Not sure what CLion resource usage is, probably high-ish for an older laptop, maybe check out VS Code as well. You can always add more RAM later, up to 64GB. Docker doesn't use much ram, primarily depends on how big your data set is.

Thanks I'll take a look at the ThinkPads. I don't see a XPS 13 for less than $1000 in this country and the person that sits next to me in my office just got a brand new XPS 15 and that thing is way too heavy (and big) for me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Scott Forstall posted:

What’s the job to be done? How urgent is the purchase?

She's a live performer on a site similar to Twitch. She already has a standalone mic/webcam, and it isn't gaming so she doesn't need much from a GPU. I know nothing about what applications she uses, just that she's currently on a several year old Dell laptop and performance isn't great.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't recall prime day really having a lot of laptop sales. If it does the selection will probably be fairly limited since that's kind of how prime day is. I could be wrong and there could be a ton of cheap laptops on prime day, but I kind of expect four million usb battery banks and oil diffusers like always. Personally I'd shop now for July 4th deals. I already got an email about the Dell Outlet having sales on some stuff, but there'll be more:
https://www.techbargains.com/category/359/computers/laptops
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=laptop&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rexxed posted:

I don't recall prime day really having a lot of laptop sales. If it does the selection will probably be fairly limited since that's kind of how prime day is. I could be wrong and there could be a ton of cheap laptops on prime day, but I kind of expect four million usb battery banks and oil diffusers like always. Personally I'd shop now for July 4th deals. I already got an email about the Dell Outlet having sales on some stuff, but there'll be more:
https://www.techbargains.com/category/359/computers/laptops
https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?src=SearchBarV2&q=laptop&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

I read somewhere that this year there will be an "Off to College" section which I thought would have a ton of laptop deals. I was leaning towards something in the 15" range, i5, 8GB+ of RAM, 1TB HDD (or 512GB SSD if it can be done) if I can find something for her in that price range. Obviously more RAM is biggest thing, and build quality. For personal reasons it's unlikely she'll be able to upgrade any time soon, so longevity is a priority.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hadlock posted:

How good is that Vega GPU against a 1050 class GPU

NotebookCheck has the Kaby Lake-G GPU between the 1050 and 1050 Ti in performance.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So are there any good pc laptops that are renowned for having reliable chargers?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

So are there any good pc laptops that are renowned for having reliable chargers?
Is the chargers failing usually a problem for you? I don't think I've ever had that happen

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Is the chargers failing usually a problem for you? I don't think I've ever had that happen

This is the first time I have ever had such issues with getting chargers to work for my laptop.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
This is my first time buying a laptop and I'm torn and confused about the two options I've narrowed it down from.

The first is a Dell G5 15 Gaming (4th on the right for $1,149) https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g5-gaming/spd/g-series-15-5587-laptop?view=configurations

The other option is a Dell XPS 13 (Probably 1st or 2nd from left) https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-13/spd/xps-13-9370-laptop

The G5 Gaming has an Nvidia 1060 while the XPS has an Intel 620. I will be doing slight gaming sometimes with it but I'm trying to lean more towards portability/battery duration, so would having the 1060 just make me only be able to hold a charge for half an hour or some crazy low time even without gaming, while the onboard 620 giving me an ultrabook level battery span?

Also and maybe more helpful: Does the G5 have an Intel 620 as well and it's just turned off? If so could I just enable/disable them for when I want max battery life or max power for gaming?

Hold The Ashes fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 1, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's a detailed review here including some battery benchmarking (i5 though, so not as much power draw as your i7)

Generally speaking a discrete GPU will chomp at your battery even when it's not doing a lot, plus it'll be generating heat (so the fans will be working to cool it). But the G5 has an Intel 630 in there too, and there's this thing called Nvidia Optimus that basically switches between the nice efficient integrated GPU, and the big hungry one as needed. So most of the time it'll be running on the 630 - which has stuff like hardware optimisations for decoding video and the like too.

Less demanding games will run on the integrated graphics, using less battery and barely kicking the fans in - and the Nvidia driver software has profiles built in for a lot of games, using the Intel chip for things that don't need the full 1060 power. And you can set that yourself too, say if you want to intentionally run a game at low settings on the 630

But that machine is a lot bigger, it uses a 45W chip (instead of the 15W U one in the XPS 13) so it's more powerful but less economical. The XPS 13 is more suited to less demanding tasks, so it'll probably last longer doing simple stuff

Here's a comparison thing so you can see them side by side (again that's an i5) but honestly I think it depends what you want. The XPS 13 is a sleek and fancy machine with a small footprint and a great display. The G5 is a tank but it can play modern games on pretty high settings

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017

Thanks for the advice, I'll go for the battery life with the XPS then.

Two related questions if you/anyone happens to know

1. Can you turn touch screen off in Windows10?
2. Does touch screen affect battery duration? If so, does that go away if touch is disabled?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's no easy button for it (it would be a good thing to have in the notification pane thing) but you can disable it in Device Manager, or turn it off in the BIOS on the dell

Probably won't make a lot of difference though, and if you really want max battery life you should go for the FHD model over the 4k anyway. 4k is nice though :shobon:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So any good recommendations for an all around pc laptop? I am right now going through a data analytics course and in terms of general recs I would like it to have a decent battery life and can play games on it as well.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

So any good recommendations for an all around pc laptop? I am right now going through a data analytics course and in terms of general recs I would like it to have a decent battery life and can play games on it as well.

What's your budget?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
$1500

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Hunt11 posted:

Huawei Matebook X Pro

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Huawei Matebook X Pro

The new Dell XPS is pretty great even though it does have some annoying flaws like the weird webcam placement and weak speakers.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looks like my xps15 with 4k screen has shipped and should get here Tuesday. That means I will have it about ten days sooner than the original dell estimate, which is good. I am excited. I plan to do a little bit of profiling and temperature testing, then do a repaste, add thermal pads, and retest the temps.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

etalian posted:

The new Dell XPS is pretty great even though it does have some annoying flaws like the weird webcam placement and weak speakers.

No USB-A on the XPS 13 really got my goat. I don't want to reward companies for copying Apple's boneheaded moves. Plenty of other Ultrabooks on the market that keep USB-A and other useful ports.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

No USB-A on the XPS 13 really got my goat. I don't want to reward companies for copying Apple's boneheaded moves. Plenty of other Ultrabooks on the market that keep USB-A and other useful ports.

I bought one of these:

and this:

and this:

And I don't really miss too much. Sure, that's like $45 worth of new cables (that I can't use with anything else), but still. Plus now I can charge my iPhone/iPad with my MacBook charger.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mark Larson posted:

Get the last model xps13 that has both, as well as the coffee lake processors

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I've been messing around with Python and JavaScript for a while now and would like to take it a bit more seriously.

Linux has always given me the best user experience coding so I am looking for a cheap laptop I can install probably Ubuntu or Fedora on and have everything work, especially wireless as I don't imagine being near a cable to be able to plug Ethernet in.

I'm in the UK, £300 is probably my limit and this will be purely for coding and light web browsing, no gaming at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dead Goon posted:

I've been messing around with Python and JavaScript for a while now and would like to take it a bit more seriously.

Linux has always given me the best user experience coding so I am looking for a cheap laptop I can install probably Ubuntu or Fedora on and have everything work, especially wireless as I don't imagine being near a cable to be able to plug Ethernet in.

I'm in the UK, £300 is probably my limit and this will be purely for coding and light web browsing, no gaming at all.

Whatever the cheapest Dell/HP/Lenovo business class machine you can get with a 1080p screen is what I would go for.

Possibly a Chromebook?

It's not Linux but can you get a 2011 MacBook Pro for 300 pollywaggers in the UK?