Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i have a rogue fretless bass and it rules

So they did make something good then?

Hah, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They also made an aluminum bodied guitar.
I always meant to get one. They were mighty tempting when they were being blown out at clearance prices.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Krustic posted:

Worst pedal I’ve owned is a digitech rp50 followed by a T. rex tonebug auto wah. Donated both to charity.

Hey fellow Digitech hater! My worst pedal was a Digitech RP80, similar to the 50, but with the added bonus of having a really lovely expression pedal. It was my first pedal and I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing, I just wanted a bunch of cool effects. I did not get a bunch of cool effects.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thank goodness multi-fx have gotten to the point where they can be cheap and not lovely.

Says the guy who mostly uses a lovely POD HD because he's too lazy to do some actual wood-working to use the 6 stompboxes he uses for his tones in-studio. :saddowns:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

Thank goodness multi-fx have gotten to the point where they can be cheap and not lovely.

Says the guy who mostly uses a lovely POD HD because he's too lazy to do some actual wood-working to use the 6 stompboxes he uses for his tones in-studio. :saddowns:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002CZV1E/?coliid=I2ET9TGB1R5N9L&colid=2DI5Y2VVTW5AZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

MrSargent posted:

Hey fellow Digitech hater! My worst pedal was a Digitech RP80, similar to the 50, but with the added bonus of having a really lovely expression pedal. It was my first pedal and I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing, I just wanted a bunch of cool effects. I did not get a bunch of cool effects.

Pretty much the same. I was new to guitar and didn’t know any better. I tried to like it but then one day I just plugged straight into the amp and it sounded better without it at all. Thing not only sounded like fried diarrhea, it was quite a tone sucker too. To this day I avoid multieffects even though even the modern cheap ones are probably much better. I now am an adult that owns 25+ pedals and only use like 5-6 of them.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Oh man that mirrors my experience to a "T". All of the effects sounded like poo poo, if you could even hear them because they sucked the life out of any tone you had going into it. I haven't bought a multi-effect pedal since. All of my work is in the studio and I find myself just plugging directly into my interface, running an amp sim, and then adding in-the-box effects. Still have about 6 pedals that I will hook up to my Strat occasionally, but they stay connected to my Minilogue for the most part.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol fender charging 25 grand for yet another frankenstrat replica

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

I still unironically love my DOD Deathmetal.
Even if the switch stopped working years ago.

It's a great harsh noise pedal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:doh:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Oh I forgot I have a Digitech GSP-21 Pro.
It's a rack mount multi effects unit. You'd think that would make it sound better.
Nope.
It's hissy, the back up battery died so you can't save any presets.
I had the foot controller for it as well.
It had a pretty long delay time. That's what I used it for most. It would get like a bitcrusher effect on samples from adjusting the delay time.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Don't be fooled by lame imitations

Chrpno fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 29, 2018

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

What do you expect EVH to do, make money writing and recording inspired new music?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
make good amps?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

make good amps?
Hey screw you: My 5150 III only has one good channel, but by jove what a channel it is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i meant that as in "make money from their good amps" because I think the 5150iii is really good and so are it's little brothers

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EVH is cool and good and deserves love.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

i meant that as in "make money from their good amps" because I think the 5150iii is really good and so are it's little brothers
Hey, we cool, Amor Masculino Español. :hfive:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I bought a 5150iii cab and there's these metal thingies on the sides, i was trying to figure out what the hell they were for and then I saw this picture

they're stands so you can angle the cab. stupid as hell but kinda cool. There's some grommets on the top that you can bolt the head into so it stays on the cab when angled. also taught me that there's some casters I can put on the cab so I don't have to carry it.

Edit: the cab is 60w rated and my head is 50w, so that may be why it sounds so ridiculous and I love it. If I blow the speakers I'll just replace them with gt75

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 29, 2018

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Angling cabs back is a very pro move. 2x12s and even some 4x12s sound like muffled poo poo when they’re pointed at your shins due to how directional guitar speakers can be.

Also the 5150 III 50w has a really, really impressively good mid-gain channel in addition to the fantastic high gain channel everybody buys it for. Try it, it’s awesome!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 29, 2018

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

GreatGreen posted:

Angling cabs back is a very pro move. 2x12s and even some 4x12s sound like muffled poo poo when they’re pointed at your shins due to how directional guitar speakers can be.
I discovered this quite by accident at a gig. Unfortunately, it didn't click in my mind until much later in life, but where you point the speakers makes a huge difference if you're using your amp as your guitar monitor.

We were playing an outdoor gig, and the stage was kinda wobbly and angled, and the casters on my cab didn't have locks or anything, so I just tipped the thing on its side. This was a 4-speaker angled cab sort of behind me, so the sound went around my left and right a bit rather than below and up, and the sound was AMAZING. Best sounding gig I ever played.

Lots of factors at play as usual, of course, but in retrospect, every time I put that cab on it's side it sounded great.

And it was just a stupid Peavy V120.

On another note, this made me nostalgic for my old band. Here's a clip from the only known video of us. In this episode, the singer forgets the words to his own song. Hilarity ensues. Definitely Stupid Music poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujvrpIFbI4

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkkepQBRtk

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I should listen to more Megadeth.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreatGreen posted:

Also the 5150 III 50w has a really, really impressively good mid-gain channel in addition to the fantastic high gain channel everybody buys it for. Try it, it’s awesome!

I stuck my 1x12 on top of a 1x15 bass amp originally to save floor space and honestly it was a good idea because it's now nicely at my head height while sitting down playing

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Not enough masturbatory guitar riffs that only a guitar player could stand to listen to. Otherwise pretty good!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I keep my 1x12 and THR10 on an old chair. Getting amps at face level is the one true way.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Needs more Am->Am(b6)->Am6->Am(b6) progressions to be properly Megadeth.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anime Reference posted:

holy crap that's it... you cracked the code!

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

My local used gear shop had its birthday celebration event and I accidentally left with a stupid project:

Stupid because I already have my homemade champ clone, two Vox AC4s, and a Super-Sonic 22. Doublestupid because I am primarily a bassist.

The trem circuit is thumping and distorting, and I've just finished swapping tubes as the easy solution, so in I go. The cat will be happy to have me at my workbench, at least.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

nurrwick posted:

My local used gear shop had its birthday celebration event and I accidentally left with a stupid project:

Stupid because I already have my homemade champ clone, two Vox AC4s, and a Super-Sonic 22. Doublestupid because I am primarily a bassist.

The trem circuit is thumping and distorting, and I've just finished swapping tubes as the easy solution, so in I go. The cat will be happy to have me at my workbench, at least.

My buddy uses one of these for his jazz gigs, it sounds awesome

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was poking around Sweetwater thinking vague thoughts about replacing my tiny little MIDI controller with a proper 49-key one, saw this loving thing and immediately got mad.

Look, we disrupted keyboards! Please give us lots of venture capital.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

I was poking around Sweetwater thinking vague thoughts about replacing my tiny little MIDI controller with a proper 49-key one, saw this loving thing and immediately got mad.

Look, we disrupted keyboards! Please give us lots of venture capital.

I have a Seaboard and they're loving great. They add a whole bunch of expression options that a regular keyboard doesn't, and if you're arranging strings they allow you to get a lot more natural sound really, really easily.

e.g.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHvjZL-pyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ4TqCCl_8o

I mean I grant you that it looks a bit weird and feels like playing a wall of fake tits, but as a tool for getting expressive performances out of MIDI instruments it's amazing.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 30, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have a laptop with an i7 and 16GB of RAM and a brand new audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) and I'm still getting this sometimes:

Please kill me :negative: I'm trying to finish up a loving album for a deadline here!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have a laptop with an i7 and 16GB of RAM and a brand new audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) and I'm still getting this sometimes:

Please kill me :negative: I'm trying to finish up a loving album for a deadline here!

adjust latency and or bounce tracks with tons of cpu-sucking plugins down to just an audio track and mute the originals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

adjust latency and or bounce tracks with tons of cpu-sucking plugins down to just an audio track and mute the originals.
Yeah, I am. I just want to get an accurate representation of how the whole song will sound at all times. Guess that's too much to ask for though :suicide:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anime Reference posted:

Am(b6) isn't a chord; if you're referencing Hanger 18 it's Am/F/D7/G.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's not just Hangar 18, moving the 5th up chromatically is a classic Mustaine tic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Of the Megadeth I listen to I only recall it in Hanger 18; but I don't listen to them outside of a few tracks. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he reused that a lot since it's good musical idea. Which other songs does he do it in?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I didn't retain a lot of the titles since I'm not a fan either but it felt like it happened every other time my Megadeth-loving friend would link me something. Off the top of my head I could name "Go To Hell" and "In My Darkest Hour".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Note: Tony made this because it's funny to him. He doesn't really plan on selling many lest he incur the Peavey C&D wrath.