Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

umalt posted:

For all of this poo poo-talking nobody has even posted a picture of the drat thing.

I found a picture when it was first mentioned, but I was too much in shock to want to think about posting it. Both from the building, and its horrible, horrible website.

I'm really glad my normal routes take me nowhere near that thing. My condolences to those who have to see it in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
This picture is a bit more flattering

Still not great but at least they painted both halves. And it has some unusual lines as well. So at least they didn't just build two blocky buildings, put the windows in weird places, slap a whacky mural on one, and call it modern architecture.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This picture is a bit more flattering

Still not great but at least they painted both halves. And it has some unusual lines as well. So at least they didn't just build two blocky buildings, put the windows in weird places, slap a whacky mural on one, and call it modern architecture.
They built two slightly skewed blocky buildings and slapped a wacky mural on both instead!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm joking about it being a building designed for a 90’s sitcom; but it really feels futuristic, contemporary, and dated at the same time. As if the designer pulled out an old college project for their proposal.

"This was designed for the future, it's the future, QED no need to update the design."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It looks like a pattern you'd see on deliberately ugly tights

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It might be an improvement. :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just wanna know why they think I'm gonna wanna gently caress that building.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In a similar vein:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
See, that's at least fun and appealing; if extremely incongruous with it's neighborhood.

It has a clear idea that the designer/artist wanted to get across. So that building is a delightful outsider art/children's illustration aesthetic instead of a bizarre design that doesn't get anything across.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Jun 30, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That right there is a Rocko's Modern Life building.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kind of reminds me of Bolivia's native-influenced architecture:

That has an earnest kitschy charm to it, though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, both of those own.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I don't even get why it's called the Fair Haired Dumbbell, though? Like, yeah, it's vaguely dumbbell shaped if you squint hard enough, but it's not even blonde? I was expecting it to be yellow, not something culled from Deep Dream.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Shut your mouth, these are loving awesome.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I don't even get why it's called the Fair Haired Dumbbell, though? Like, yeah, it's vaguely dumbbell shaped if you squint hard enough, but it's not even blonde? I was expecting it to be yellow, not something culled from Deep Dream.

I think the architect needs to get laid.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i'm surprised there isnt more demand for space in that building, 'cause if you're inside it its the one place around where you won't have to look at the loving thing

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

umalt posted:

For all of this poo poo-talking nobody has even posted a picture of the drat thing.

Seriously; how did any reasonable adult let this get past the proposal phase? Was it literally just 50+ year old men just thinking "well those hipster kids will like it"?

I like the unpainted side.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Perestroika posted:

In a similar vein:

Was gonna post that, cause I lived in that city for three years and saw it at least once a week. The first time was quite a surprise.

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, both of those own.
They do. First one looks like straight out of Grim Fandango.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

umalt posted:

Seriously; how did any reasonable adult let this get past the proposal phase? Was it literally just 50+ year old men just thinking "well those hipster kids will like it"?

I feel like if you walked by, you'd find Mark-Paul Gosselaar trying to climb in a window, shouting about how this hole was made for him.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The irregularly sized windows are what loving ruin it for me, they’re terrible.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Beachcomber posted:

The unpainted side reminds me of a Menger sponge, somehow.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

The irregularly sized windows are what loving ruin it for me, they’re terrible.

Imagine what it must look like from the inside.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Beachcomber posted:

Lotus_pod.bldg

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Its actually not as bad as I was imagining. From its name, I was picturing some really badly proportioned H-shaped building in that bland, generic all-glass cladding in like yellow or straw or something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was picturing Peachtree Center in Atlanta which has two brutalistic looking towers with a walkway between them. It’s the ugliest most uncomfortable building I’ve ever had the displeasure to work in and I would literally tattoo that poo poo on my back before I had to work in that blond dumbbell abomination.

That’s not the ugliest building I’ve ever seen, but it’s probably the ugliest building I’ve ever seen built by people who should have known better.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was picturing Peachtree Center in Atlanta

It reminds me of the Peach Trees building in Dredd - welp, time to rewarch!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That walkway is literally giving me anxiety

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

That walkway is literally giving me anxiety

I like to think it doesn't connect to anything and it's just there for convenience.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Jesus, I thought the TVA towers in Knoxville were ugly. Peachtree has them beat, easily.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i'm surprised there isnt more demand for space in that building, 'cause if you're inside it its the one place around where you won't have to look at the loving thing

Marketing targeted at Guy de Maupassant.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was picturing Peachtree Center in Atlanta which has two brutalistic looking towers with a walkway between them. It’s the ugliest most uncomfortable building I’ve ever had the displeasure to work in and I would literally tattoo that poo poo on my back before I had to work in that blond dumbbell abomination.

That’s not the ugliest building I’ve ever seen, but it’s probably the ugliest building I’ve ever seen built by people who should have known better.

Sorry, but I love it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GWBBQ posted:

Sorry, but I love it.

It's Modern Brutalism and loving it is the correct response.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

It's Modern Brutalism and loving it is the correct response.

No. It looks decent on the outside but there's probably a bunch of unpleasant, architecturally garbage poo poo on the inside.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Memento posted:

It's Modern Brutalism and loving it is the only response citizen.

FTFY

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Every time someone starts talking about how great Brutalism/Frank Geary/Daniel Libeskind poo poo is they never bring up how many of these buildings are utter hell for the people who actually live or work in them. It's like they think aesthetics are more important that being fit for use.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Every time someone starts talking about how great Brutalism/Frank Geary/Daniel Libeskind poo poo is they never bring up how many of these buildings are utter hell for the people who actually live or work in them. It's like they think aesthetics are more important that being fit for use.

That's an absolutely fair criticism.

Most of them are not just design nightmares on the inside but have issues with heating and cooling and general ventilation.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
"Oh, sure, it melts the nearby sidewalks, but it looks fantastic when you can look at it without blinding yourself!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The outside is alright if you like brutalism (and I do). I don't like the fact the architect is considered some kind of demigod in the city because the buildings just aren't that good and the interiors are hideous. They even named a nearby street after him.

I worked in a first floor bank and everything was just uncomfortable and sterile while simultaneously looking dirty. The basement is a depressing urban mall. "Oh, it's 2018 - all malls are depressing!". No, this was 1998 when I worked there. It was terrible. But the final straw was the fact a prestige building like this with tons of leased space on the 1st floor somehow didn't have a bathroom I could use. I hated that fucker John Portman every time I had to take an elevator to the 4th floor to piss.

Here's another view of the complex of buildings.

I will say he could design a drat good atrium though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I will say he could design a drat good atrium though.

Was there an array of exotic eggs in this room and the corpse of some alien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Was there an array of exotic eggs in this room and the corpse of some alien?

My prom was held there. So...a bunch of sweaty teenagers in cummerbunds and some later regrets. Still better than Alien Covenant.