Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

i am the bird posted:

Mr. Peanutbutter’s recurring problem is that he often doesn’t consider how other people feel and is wildly insensitive as a result. I think it’d be out of character for him to be aggressively mean, or to do something along the lines of BoJack’s multiple heinous acts, but he’s capable of inflicting a lot of pain due to how careless he is with other people’s feelings.

This is pretty much it. He rarely listens to others, and tends to run roughshod over people who are on a lower rung than him without considering their feelings, makes decisions for them as well. He then lets people above him push him around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
And when he does listen to others, you end up with rabid clown dentists.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

Yeah, I don't get the "now let's see Mr. Peanutbutter be an rear end in a top hat" thing. Really hoping it doesn't happen.

Agreed, but I do think it makes more sense for him to have a depressive breakdown, where he doesn't become an rear end in a top hat, but takes down his happy, carefree facade that he uses to block out his problems.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And when he does listen to others, you end up with rabid clown dentists.

Yea, he's very impulsive. He also cannot accept any responsibility for anything. When things go wrong, he justs go "Oh whatever, lets go get ice cream!" or whatever and doesn't deal with it. Because of his luck, wealth and charisma he rarely has to face consequences.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
been binging it to prep for new season.

just realized it's been 4 years... i first watched it at a party then got dragged on the roof to and talk about our dreams. maybe it's time to give up those?

also amazed how i notice something on each rewatch. staring at a fridge now with a bunch of poo poo on it i never noticed, those poem things everyone had in undergrad when they got their first apt

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite little thing is that Bojack says "What are you doing here?" to someone in every episode in season 2 and it's always in a different context, culminating in ending season 2 by saying "What am I doing here?" before going off to save Todd from the scientology improv cult and attending the opening of the Jerb Kazazz orphanage.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Caganer posted:

also amazed how i notice something on each rewatch. staring at a fridge now with a bunch of poo poo on it i never noticed, those poem things everyone had in undergrad when they got their first apt

My boyfriend and I run bojack as our “something on in the background so there’s noise” show so I’ve watched it a poo poo-ton of times and still notice new stuff as I rewatch it, it’s the best.

Yesterday I realized Todd’s alarm ringtone in s4e3 is the music from Newtopia rising in s1e4, that cracked me up for some reason.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite little thing is that Bojack says "What are you doing here?" to someone in every episode in season 2 and it's always in a different context, culminating in ending season 2 by saying "What am I doing here?" before going off to save Todd from the scientology improv cult and attending the opening of the Jerb Kazazz orphanage.

Is it literally every episode? I've noticed the significance of the repeated question before but never quite watched closely enough to catch it in every episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If they really wanted to do something with Mr PB I think it would be a lot more likely to have him kill himself with no leadup. Not that I think it would be good for the show.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Senor Tron posted:

If they really wanted to do something with Mr PB I think it would be a lot more likely to have him kill himself with no leadup. Not that I think it would be good for the show.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Seems a bit like Sarah Lynn's sudden death though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Straight White Shark posted:

Is it literally every episode? I've noticed the significance of the repeated question before but never quite watched closely enough to catch it in every episode.

It is. Some are pretty minor, like when Carolyn shows up at Herb’s funeral or on Mr. Peanutbutter’s game show, but others include asking Diane what exactly she’s doing taking on Hippopopalous or Penny showing up on his boat at night.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Astroman posted:

Seems a bit like Sarah Lynn's sudden death though.

Was it really *that* sudden? I mean, if her plotline had ended and then later we found out she died no one would be surprised, it was just surprising she did it on screen.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
also the plotline where we're like LOL Soviet Sleeper agent how quaint hasn't aged well

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Caganer posted:

Was it really *that* sudden? I mean, if her plotline had ended and then later we found out she died no one would be surprised, it was just surprising she did it on screen.

They even had the red flag that she was getting sober so that she could get even more high once she got back on drugs. That’s like the most classic way for ex-addicts to die because they lose their tolerance.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SEX BURRITO posted:

They even had the red flag that she was getting sober so that she could get even more high once she got back on drugs. That’s like the most classic way for ex-addicts to die because they lose their tolerance.

yea as soon as the reveal was 'I just do this to kill my tolerance' I knew 'welp she's gonna OD at some point'.

Still managed to make it hit hard even with know it was coming.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the worst part is the fakeout mid-episode because you think you're safe after that, surely they wouldn't be bastards enough to actually pull it after baiting us like that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Not to mention in her first episode in season 1 she said in that interview she would probably die young.

Chekhov's gun that could go off at any time, heck they could've done that in the episode. Something I like about what the show has become is how intricate things are, like pre-addict (as far as we are shown) Sarah Lynn was stoked to see BoJack because she thought he was there to support her as she is reaching a personal breaking point. Instead of supporting her he is there to use her status as well and it breaks her

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SEX BURRITO posted:

Hell, in the first episode she is in back in the beginning of the first season, she flat out predicts her own death in more or less exactly the way it happens. The show never played it coy with how very grim Sarah Lynn's life situation was.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That episode also hammered home that despite Bojack’s attempts at progress, he was still incredibly toxic. Season 4’s ending felt a lot warmer because that was the first time he genuinely put another person’s well-being ahead of his own, and didn’t ask for anything in return.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Caganer posted:

also the plotline where we're like LOL Soviet Sleeper agent how quaint hasn't aged well
The Soviet Union is gone, buddy.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Soviet Union is gone, buddy.

the KGB does not exist, nothing to fear!

*FSB hacks email*

:argh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but the nice thing he did was wait in a line for a few hours, donated some money to an orphanage, and brought a seahorse baby home once and then the bad things he did were like, uh... UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bojack might be ready to make changes but we haven’t actually see him like atone for anything. He ruined Todd’s life, basically killed Sarah Lynn, put a teenage girl in the hospital with alcohol poisoning, traumatized Penny, certainly never did Diane & Mr. PB’s marriage any favors, and just stood by as his best friend and business partner was disgraced and exiled.

Honesty I’d like to season 5 address how being ready to change and wanting to live your best life isn’t easy even if you a mentally healthy and stable person with few deep regrets... Bojack is none of those things and his chickens coming home to roost would be awesome to see.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Honesty I’d like to season 5 address how being ready to change and wanting to live your best life isn’t easy even if you a mentally healthy and stable person with few deep regrets... Bojack is none of those things and his chickens coming home to roost would be awesome to see.

I’d love to see this too. I’ve never come close to being as lovely as bojack but I struggled with depression (and, frankly, entitlement) in my late teens / early 20s. I got my act together after college but it’s been a long journey and sometimes I run into people from that time who seem eager to Herb me. And I’m not sure how wrong they are :smith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but the nice thing he did was wait in a line for a few hours, donated some money to an orphanage, and brought a seahorse baby home once and then the bad things he did were like, uh... UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bojack might be ready to make changes but we haven’t actually see him like atone for anything. He ruined Todd’s life, basically killed Sarah Lynn, put a teenage girl in the hospital with alcohol poisoning, traumatized Penny, certainly never did Diane & Mr. PB’s marriage any favors, and just stood by as his best friend and business partner was disgraced and exiled.

https://youtu.be/R2_Mn-qRKjA

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm talking about Season 4, though, Bojack actually cared for Hollyhock in a genuine fashion that he never managed with Todd, Princess Carolyn or Sarah Lynn, who he only kept around to validate himself. He was far, far from perfect, but he ended up letting go of his hatred for Beatrice and managed to establish an actual connection with his sister/daughter because he stopped asking for anything in return. The entire show up until the introduction of Hollyhock has been about how toxic Bojack is and how his attempts at being better backfired because he was always ultimately in it for himself, and I'm not sure in what world those chickens haven't already all come home to roost.

I'd much rather season 5 keeps focusing on Bojack's incremental progress (without letting him forget the damage he's done, obviously), while allowing the other main characters to shine.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Next season he could have an even better relationship with her, now that he knows she's his sister. The pressure of having to "be a father" will be off him, and instead he has an actual living, non-rear end in a top hat family member.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

Next season he could have an even better relationship with her, now that he knows she's his sister. The pressure of having to "be a father" will be off him, and instead he has an actual living, non-rear end in a top hat family member.

and its a woman he'll have a 100% 'safe' relationship, which is something I'd wager Bojack surely needs. He has no idea how to function around women he isn't sleeping with besides getting them into destabilized situations where they might sleep with him, and having a little sister who will call him out on his bullshit while also giving him a platonic feminine perspective could be a wonderful boon to my favorite horseman

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Am I an idiot for hoping Bojack can get redeemed?

Am I an idiot for believing in redemption at all?

I just hope he becomes a well adjusted person. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think that should be everybody's hope.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I like what someone said a while back, about maybe he starts dealing with conflict in a healthy way, but finds out that life is still just really hard. Maybe believe that life might always be awful for him, but that it doesn't always have to mean that he's awful.

I wouldn't say I've learned a lot or gained an incredible insight from this show, but something from it keeps popping up. Sometimes at work or otherwise, I can get negative or nasty; and I used to consider it a good thing that I could recognize and apologize in those cases. But now, whenever I do that, I hear Aaron Paul's voice yelling, "You have to BE better!" Reminds me that apologizing doesn't wipe out what I've done; and if I don't stop doing it in the future it's kind of manipulative to commodify my contrition.

Show is good.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AceOfFlames posted:

Am I an idiot for hoping Bojack can get redeemed?

Am I an idiot for believing in redemption at all?

I just hope he becomes a well adjusted person. :(

Yes, yes and lol respectively.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dont think redemption is a static place or mantle one can assume, i think its like a way you live your life, because if you did somethign so lovely that you felt you needed to atone or redeem, its not like that ever stops really informing your decisions or stops becoming a part of who you used to be, even if you've been forgiven.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't think there is a redemption, he just learns how to properly deal with the poo poo that happens, because poo poo will always happen.

And there's no way Bojack could possibly "atone" for 30+ years of assholeness.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Will they? Won't they? (snap and finally get therapy)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I have a whole new level of appreciation for Mayor Woodchuck after watching Brooklyn 99

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So straight up most gutpunch episode, is it Ruthie or

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Calaveron posted:

"The Old Sugarman Place"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Calaveron posted:

I’m sticking with the classics: “Downer Ending.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

"Downer Ending" still has my #1 spot, solely because of where I was in life when I saw it.