Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skylark posted:

The steam page says theres lots of character customization so im so tempted to buy it right now!! I get so into that. But i'd really like some assurance that the timer doesnt really matter... Im not trying to be stressed while I game.

It's like X-2 on crack, in terms of customization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

In Training posted:

Jobs/skill progression

Ok thats IT!!! Im buying it!!!!!

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

In Training posted:

It's like X-2 on crack, in terms of customization

:aaa:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

LR is my personal favorite FF. I think it does everything right

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Wow thanks guys I am psyched!!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Not quite final fantasy, but does anyone have any opinions on those square enix 'return-to-form' jrpgs like I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, they seem to be nice enough but even on sale they're a little pricey and I never hear much about them at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There really really bad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Not quite final fantasy, but does anyone have any opinions on those square enix 'return-to-form' jrpgs like I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, they seem to be nice enough but even on sale they're a little pricey and I never hear much about them at all.
Setsuna is loving terrible.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i couldn't get past the first 5 minutes of the lost sphear demo
it was so incredibly bland

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skylark posted:

Final Fantasy 13-3 Lightning Returns is on sale on steam for $10... I really liked 13 and 13-2, but when 13-3 came out I never got it cause i read there is a timer that discourages chilling out/exploration, which is the whole point of jrpgs for me. Some ppl have told me the timer doesnt really matter though? I see these posts on google..

Can any1 confirm? im super interested i just HATE being timed...

That's all correct. There is a bonus dungeon for if you do most of the stuff including sidequests in one cycle, which can be annoying to obtain, but otherwise as long as you get the main quests done you can fight the final boss. If you run out of time you go back to day one and have to do those again, which will be incredibly easy. And you do have the ability to freeze time, which will also be enhanced because you get more uses of it as the game progresses. It recharges with combat so if you run out you can just fight some stuff (Chaos enemies guarantee at least one use) and continue to do it.

Tldr: if you are trying to 100% the game in one go you'll maybe have time problems but if not then it will likely be a non-issue.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 25, 2018

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The bonus dungeon is cool because if you exterminate monsters before you get there then the boss versions of them don't show up again. It's nice to fight some of the tougher ones with your choco friend.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Skylark posted:

Wow thanks guys I am psyched!!

youll love it .. i loved it too, i got the platinum trophy in it. plus the time limit can be extended basically as much as you like depending on how you play. you can do everything there is to do in the game pretty easily

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the ffx take on the chocobo song is slick

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

my morning jackass posted:

the ffx take on the chocobo song is slick
FFX has really good music in general. FF9 and 10 really see Uematsu going crazy doing music he likes. 9 experimenting with classical guitar while 10 moves into metal and modern stuff. It's very cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFX has really good music in general. FF9 and 10 really see Uematsu going crazy doing music he likes. 9 experimenting with classical guitar while 10 moves into metal and modern stuff. It's very cool.

Yeah, I think 10 and 6 are my favorites. Something about the weird digital opera of 6 really works with its aesthetic and just hearing a song from 10 really, really makes you want to play it.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The Jecht boss music...godlike.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Just wait for Octopath Traveller

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Gag I started Lightning Returns and I thought I would remember the stories from 13-1 and 13-2 but i feel SO lost... And yet for some reason I feel like, even if I remembered everything, it woudlnt really make a difference? My experience with Square sequels is that they always just make up totally new stuff for every game anyway.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Also I was expecting the same battle system from 13-1 and 2, which i LOVED, but this new one seems kewl.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It takes place like 8000 years after XIII-2 so it's largely made up anyway.6

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm at the very end of the game for Final Fantasy 4 and I have memories of how hard that eyeball boss is even in Easytype from when i was a chlid, so i have been putting it off.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

It takes place like 8000 years after XIII-2 so it's largely made up anyway.6

It's only 200-300 years after believe it or not. Makes no sense at all lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I believe it's because it was a completely different game early in development and then Square had Tri-Ace put lightning and all her friends in it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Skylark posted:

Also I was expecting the same battle system from 13-1 and 2, which i LOVED, but this new one seems kewl.

It's a nice evolution of the XIII system. I really love real time paradigm/job changing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lightning Returns also has like every good song from XIII and XIII-2 plus tons of new ones. Honestly so packed with great tracks that it's a contender for best FF soundtrack imo.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Girl im not going to post on your forum stop asking

Only registered members can see post attachments!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Eagle posted:

Lightning Returns also has like every good song from XIII and XIII-2 plus tons of new ones. Honestly so packed with great tracks that it's a contender for best FF soundtrack imo.

I love the battle theme in particular. They realized that the best part of 13's theme was the violins so it's all violins all the time and it's great

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Skylark posted:

Girl im not going to post on your forum stop asking

I love Chocolina

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I love Chocolina

Yeah, well, you don't wanna hear what Knuc has to say about her...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

that guy can barely form sentences due to kiwi rock skulls being roughly 70% thicker than modern man

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i got all the way to the end of Final Fantasy 4, but Zeromus kills two of my party members every time he casts Big Bang even with Dark Matter, and I hosed up my save states so i'd have to go back two hours, so i quit, lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it was fun replaying the game, though, thanks lyle for the info on the romhack.

i kind of want to move on to the SNES GBA translation of ff5 that Pablo Nergigante recommended, but i'm a 100 percenter and i threw out the checklists that i made in high school by cobbling together info from FAQs. is there a good walkthrough out there that like, just has a checklist at the top of the page, with like "do this before moving on"? i don't want to follow along with a bunch of "turn right here" directions, but i also don't want to miss like one piano in a town that gets swallowed by an earthquake in the next scene or w/e

e: nm, apparently the pianos aren't missable, and i think i remember most of the other important stuff, so i should just be able to find like a blue magic faq and go from there.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 30, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i got all the way to the end of Final Fantasy 4, but Zeromus kills two of my party members every time he casts Big Bang even with Dark Matter, and I hosed up my save states so i'd have to go back two hours, so i quit, lol

I played it massively under leveled cause I ran away nonstop, and it's still beatable if you keep Rosa healing nonstop and get lucky with Kain's jump helping him miss a few big bang cycles.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

I played it massively under leveled cause I ran away nonstop, and it's still beatable if you keep Rosa healing nonstop and get lucky with Kain's jump helping him miss a few big bang cycles.

I could probably beat it w/ save states eventually, I saved a lot of the Edge darts and stuff, but my basic problem is that Kain's jump cycle makes him miss Rosa's healing most of the time and Rosa is one of the two easiest targets for Big Bang. i'm like probably just a few levels under where Rydia would survive it more often, but honestly, the end of the game has been enough of a slog that i want to move on. it was fun to relive it, but i definitely like 5 & 6 better.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i will say it was really fun to watch them sort of figure out a lot of the things that stick around through the rest of the series, and also it's refreshing compared to the first game that it is extremely easy to play it without grinding at all, and it's also fun to see all the obvious gently caress-ups in what they were trying to do.

like the Wind Emperor does this thing where the game says "She won't take damage now, don't attack until cain jumps!" but then she just takes damage anyway. the double Phase bosses in the last dungeon get confused about reflect so they keep casting cure and haste on your party (they're still like the third hardest thing in the game, purely because they have a lot of HP, prevent you from healing, and do a lot of damage, but it's pretty funny). there's an eyeball enemy that does a death countdown (not the boss, he's brutal), and then he casts haste to try to speed it up, but it doesn;t speed up the countdown, and actually just makes you attack more often.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I did a playthrough of 4 a few months ago to break in my PVM. I was underlevelled in a good way for most of the game, but got steamrolled in the final dungeon. Had to grind for a couple hours in order to do it.

My strat came down to kain jumping obviously, cecil and edge attacking, with edge occasionally using Ether 2s / elixirs to keep Rosa's MP up. Rosa keeps casting cure 4 on the party. You can buy elixers and ether2s on a shop on the moon.

I let rydia stay dead because her HP was too low to survive most single attacks, I hadn't gotten her best summons or spells. Plus, with her KOd, Rosa's cure 4 healed everyone else to a greater degree.

It was worth it, it was the first time I've ever beaten zeromus. I liked the ending

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Ive still just barely started FF13-3, havent left the first town yet but... I have to say the timer is still stressing me out, in spite of what ive heard that it doesnt matter.. I am really hoping i get over that. Yesterday I wanted to play some more but I thought of the timer and just the thought of it stressed me out so i played ds remastered instead. 😓

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Im playing through FFX for the first time now and i think the story and characters are butt, however i love the setting and battle system and music. im torn on it as a whole so far, im about halfway through and the story is at least getting somewhat interesting but i just am not into the way they are telling it

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
oh and i really like the sphere grid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the wonder years narration is real weird