Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Kit Walker posted:

Gotta say, your posts about the game make me really want to play it, but it's a drat shame it's exclusive to a system I don't own

Also apparently the final towers have a nasty glitch in the US version that locks the game if you leave and try to return to them due to their unique gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

If my personal experience is anything to go by, you sit next to someone who has actually solved that problem and just yell at them when there's a bad guy.

If I had a friend to play 20-year-old computer video games with I wouldn't be playing 20-year-old computer video games.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

If I had a friend to play 20-year-old computer video games with I wouldn't be playing 20-year-old computer video games.

I thought everyone in Finland was basically still on a 486

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I mean in spirit if not in fact

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I thought everyone in Finland was basically still on a 486

I wish. It was weird going from person who knows something about PCs to person who knew something about PCs.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Does Pandora's Tower emulate okay, or am I just going to have to spend the 20 bucks on the Wii U eshop/dig my original Wii out of a closet?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I played mine through the Wii menu on my WiiU and it ran fine.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Twitch posted:

Does Pandora's Tower emulate okay, or am I just going to have to spend the 20 bucks on the Wii U eshop/dig my original Wii out of a closet?

It runs fine on Dolphin, but it is a little tricky to control without a proper Wiimote/Nunchuck setup.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...
Why no remakes of G-Police?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UlLF1CBduc

Or Jungle/Nuclear/Urban Strike?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3FLmNIA1BE&t=775s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I played mine through the Wii menu on my WiiU and it ran fine.

Speaking of Wii games, have you played Disaster: Day of Crisis? Because it would likely be your jam if you have a PAL Wii/WiiU.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

bunnyofdoom posted:

Knights and Merchants

That's an awesome game! You might be interested to know that there's a fan-made update to the game so it can run on modern computers: https://www.kamremake.com. There's also a dude who's (slowly) making a full-3D sequel called Knight's Province.

I have a few favourite games for this thread from the mid-late nineties:

Hyperblade
A futuristic sports game, basically an ultra-violent future version of ice hockey, and kind of a spiritual successor to Speedball. The arenas had obstacles to skate around/through, and violence was encouraged. You could even win games by default if you incapacitated or killed everyone on the opposing team. I really enjoyed it, although like most sports games it doesn't have a huge amount of depth, especially once you beat the league.

Ice & Fire
A first-person shooter whose gimmick is, surprisingly enough, everything being based around ice or fire. The story is that an asteroid base has been attacked by aliens called Spherids and was then frozen as part of an emergency defence program. You have to restore the base to normal operations. Each level is filled with ice crystals that can be thawed. The crystals either have humans in them that help in some way, enemies (Spherids) that must either be refrozen or destroyed, or items like ammo or keys. There's also an overworld which you fly through to find each of the eight levels. I remember this one being a fairly average FPS with kind of lovely level design, but the gimmick was interesting enough to keep me playing.

Havoc
I only ever played the demo of this, and I've never been able to find a full version of it, legal or otherwise. It's generic name doesn't help.
Anyway, this game is a first-person vehicle shooter. You control a vehicle through a bunch of levels, killing enemies, collecting powerups and finding the keys for the gate to get to the next level. There were three vehicles to choose: a tank which was strong but slow, a bike which was fast but weak, and a hovercraft that was somewhere in between. There's a large variety of weapons too. I remember it being pretty fun, but I don't know how well it would hold up today, or even if the full version is worth playing rather than just the demo.

Return Fire
I'm sure a few of you have heard of this one. It's a capture-the-flag game where you drive around tanks and other vehicles and destroy the enemy's base to get to their flag. Two-player mode is much more fun than single player, but unfortunately it's split-screen only, so you have to share a keyboard. No online capability at all. That may be because it was originally for the 3DO and then ported to Windows. So much fun, but single-player is a bit of a slog especially on harder difficulty levels. I think this one could definitely use a remake.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Been playing through the Ape Escape games for the first time, beat the first one, the only thing I didn't bother with was the Time Trials, and currently playing through the second one on PSN. Just got my first Game Over on Pink Monkey.

I like the bosses in 2 better than the ones in the original, although the first one had a stronger story overall, and the Freaky Monkey 5 are pretty fun characters. I love Pink the most, because he transformation after you hit her 3 times was both unique, and pretty much owned. Yellow was an annoying gay stereotype, but Blue was also cool, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the other two are going to be like.

I also like that the games give you a good reason to at least get all the monkeys - at the end of the first game, Spectre escapes, and vows to meet again and all the sequel bait, but if you get all the monkeys his location is revealed and you get to play a final boss fight against Spectre alone, just you and him until he is finally captured.

I'm hoping the second game does something similar, although overall the story in the original was far better told and I kind of liked Spectre and hated Spike as a result, because Spectre tried to talk Spike around before resorting to mind control, and was starting to almost like him, but Spike hosed all that up by insisting on taking him back to the carnival that he hated so much. The Monkey Fable Nightmare Scenario in 2 expands on that in a nice way, with Spectre learning that everyone at the carnival was worried about him and realising that he had it better than he knew, but without that context Spike just looks like an rear end in a top hat who doesn't listen.

Hell the only reason Spike even saw the final level of the first game was that Spectre literally respected him enough to invite him to his home base off the cuff (totally unplanned, he meant to just take the space station and start blowing poo poo up but after the TV Tower fight he literally says "Wait... I just thought of something... I'll call you, look forward to it!" and next thing he does is forward you his home address and add it to the level select hub) and basically let him try to rescue his friends - Spectre's a surprisingly nice guy :3:.

tldr: Ape Escape Hot Takes :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Hyperblade
A futuristic sports game, basically an ultra-violent future version of ice hockey, and kind of a spiritual successor to Speedball. The arenas had obstacles to skate around/through, and violence was encouraged. You could even win games by default if you incapacitated or killed everyone on the opposing team. I really enjoyed it, although like most sports games it doesn't have a huge amount of depth, especially once you beat the league.

Reminds me of dead ball zone on ps1 which was basically handball but with no rules, bit speedballish. Your players could go into the arena with chainsaws and guns. Had a good time playing it, but you had to always be holding down the sprint button because there was no point in not sprinting.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Return Fire
I'm sure a few of you have heard of this one. It's a capture-the-flag game where you drive around tanks and other vehicles and destroy the enemy's base to get to their flag. Two-player mode is much more fun than single player, but unfortunately it's split-screen only, so you have to share a keyboard. No online capability at all. That may be because it was originally for the 3DO and then ported to Windows. So much fun, but single-player is a bit of a slog especially on harder difficulty levels. I think this one could definitely use a remake.
The three things that were most memorable about Return Fire were a) the selections of classical music to accompany each of the four vehicles you could pilot ("Flight of the Valkyries" for the Helicopter, "In the Hall of the Mountain King" for the APC, "Flight of the Bumblebee" for the Jeep, and "Mars: The Bringer of War" for the Tank); b) the submarine that surfaced if you went out-of-bounds on the map to shoot down the Helicopter (but wouldn't bother the Jeep, if you had infinite fuel); and c) that drat skull laughing every time you died. (ah-HA ha ha HA ha!) :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What do you get if you cross Bomberman with Contra? One of the PS1's best hidden gems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jmLvxrCfp0

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

What do you get if you cross Bomberman with Contra? One of the PS1's best hidden gems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jmLvxrCfp0

Yeah, this game rocked, too bad apparently many copies were glitched so the game froze after the elevator boss. :/ I once managed to get past that freeze somehow, but then got stuck on the final boss. Still, really cool game, one of those few great surprises from that time before I could just read reviews online to gauge if I'll like a game or not (another surprise gem I got because I just "had" to get a game from a store we were in was Front Mission 3).

e: oh, and if anyone's into strange PSX 1vs1 arena brawlers where every character fights completely differently and with a turn-based strategy campaign mode, give Unholy War a try!

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Jan 6, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't remember the glitch but yeah I could never beat the final boss either it was a loving gauntlet.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sorry if this is a necropost, but my favorite old game was Outpost.

It was a Sierra game, and came out in the early 90s and had a DOS and Win3.1 release. It's big claim to fame was having some people from NASA helping design some of the in game equipment according to what was likely to be used for real world space colonization. The graphics were pretty good for their time. The premise was simple, Earth was going to get hit by an asteroid and your job was to prep the humanity's last chance to avoid extinction mission. You had to first decide what supplies to bring such as packing certain equipment that would have a low failure rate or take the risk of just building them at your colony where they'd have a higher chance of failure. You also had to launch probes to determine what planet would be best for your colony and it was completely possible to fail early on by picking a lovely planet. Once you landed, it was a standard settlement building sim with monitoring the colonists happiness, making sure there's enough food and air...etc.. No matter how good you were handling things, there would always be some colonists who'd break away to start up a rival colony. I always thought I had to be screwing up somewhere since the game booklet mentioned being able to develop geothermal energy, build roads, either establish trade relations with the rival colony or end up taking it over and managing both, and even eventually developing orbital colonies. The game booklet also mentioned a future expansion where you'd be dealing with aliens and exploring the galaxy for more colonies.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out that Sierra promised a lot with the game and never delivered. The expansion never happened, and most of the features the book promised were never put in game. I did find some talk about a fan made updated version that would have all the missing features and the expected expansion stuff as well as be able to play on more modern OS's, but still haven't found anything more than just talk.

It did have a equal, Outpost 2 which was pretty lovely from what I remember.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Sorry if this is a necropost, but my favorite old game was Outpost.

It was a Sierra game, and came out in the early 90s and had a DOS and Win3.1 release. It's big claim to fame was having some people from NASA helping design some of the in game equipment according to what was likely to be used for real world space colonization. The graphics were pretty good for their time. The premise was simple, Earth was going to get hit by an asteroid and your job was to prep the humanity's last chance to avoid extinction mission. You had to first decide what supplies to bring such as packing certain equipment that would have a low failure rate or take the risk of just building them at your colony where they'd have a higher chance of failure. You also had to launch probes to determine what planet would be best for your colony and it was completely possible to fail early on by picking a lovely planet. Once you landed, it was a standard settlement building sim with monitoring the colonists happiness, making sure there's enough food and air...etc.. No matter how good you were handling things, there would always be some colonists who'd break away to start up a rival colony. I always thought I had to be screwing up somewhere since the game booklet mentioned being able to develop geothermal energy, build roads, either establish trade relations with the rival colony or end up taking it over and managing both, and even eventually developing orbital colonies. The game booklet also mentioned a future expansion where you'd be dealing with aliens and exploring the galaxy for more colonies.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out that Sierra promised a lot with the game and never delivered. The expansion never happened, and most of the features the book promised were never put in game. I did find some talk about a fan made updated version that would have all the missing features and the expected expansion stuff as well as be able to play on more modern OS's, but still haven't found anything more than just talk.

It did have a equal, Outpost 2 which was pretty lovely from what I remember.

My dad played this game a poo poo ton, he had it down to a science when he hosed up with how long until game over. I need to revisit it after i'm done with X-COM.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Been trying again at beating Vexx, because last time I got stuck at the final boss and had a lot left undone. Just wanted to say I like the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaH_2lnl2cU

Gets god at 0:47

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

One of my favorites is Paraworld, an obscure German (I think) dinosaur-themed RTS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCgZGgqPiY
It's pretty rad, but really janky and gets really difficult once the villain faction gets involve. The dust riders are still my favorite part, because of their gimmick of having a mobile HQ and being able to break down their buildings to recoup some of the resources used to build them.

peter gabriel posted:

I used to have a Mac as my first computer, I liked it but the games were thin on the ground.
Anyways I had this odd little thing that I never see anyone talk about ever:

Galapagos: Mendel's Escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLiZsijShbY

You had to move the environment or camera and the little crab spider whatever the gently caress it was just slowly walked along a set sort of path.
The idea was a bit like Lemmings in that the creature was dumb and the environment was the puzzle.
I remember it being interesting but not really good as such. It was also really hard
I remember this one, you were supposed to guide that stupid lizard thing by clicking on it, which would make it move in the opposite direction of the side you clicked on. I think it was supposed to be able to learn or something over time as well.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I just recently remembered The Horde, a sort of city builder/RTS/tower defense hybrid game I played on the Sega Saturn (there were also 3DO and PC versions). Your character is put in charge of defending a village from the invading Horde, a race of bright red goblin-like creatures. You used money to purchase defenses like walls, spike pits, or soldiers, but you also needed to spend some of it on buying things like crops or cattle for your village to generate more income so you have more money to work with later on. When the Horde actually invades you can't rely entirely on your defenses and you have to personally run around hacking apart Hordlings with your sword, so it's kind of an action game as well. As the game goes on the village and the map both get bigger making defense more difficult and it becomes less practical to do all the fighting personally. There was sort of a story told through silly live-action FMVs. I remember it as being pretty fun, but also very hard in the later stages of the game and I don't think I ever beat it.

Some gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AnexwUz_DE

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Mountaineer posted:

I just recently remembered The Horde, a sort of city builder/RTS/tower defense hybrid game I played on the Sega Saturn (there were also 3DO and PC versions). Your character is put in charge of defending a village from the invading Horde, a race of bright red goblin-like creatures. You used money to purchase defenses like walls, spike pits, or soldiers, but you also needed to spend some of it on buying things like crops or cattle for your village to generate more income so you have more money to work with later on. When the Horde actually invades you can't rely entirely on your defenses and you have to personally run around hacking apart Hordlings with your sword, so it's kind of an action game as well. As the game goes on the village and the map both get bigger making defense more difficult and it becomes less practical to do all the fighting personally. There was sort of a story told through silly live-action FMVs. I remember it as being pretty fun, but also very hard in the later stages of the game and I don't think I ever beat it.

Some gameplay:

I loved this game, but it was incredibly easy to cheese. You just put some knights directly next to each cow. The hordlings would go for the cow, and be clubbed to death by the knights. Once in a while the hordes would reach the cow, but the knight would kill it before it could finish digesting. Leaving you with a spit covered cow, I guess.

I remember being so amazed by the FMV. "...so keep your eyes peeled for hordlings! Mmmmm, peeled eyes..."

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mountaineer posted:

Some gameplay:

I played the Hell out of this game on the DOS floppy disk version, which was just slideshows instead of FMV, but still had voice acting at least. I definitely beat it, although I don't remember if I ever beat it without cheat codes.

Also, the protagonist was played by Kirk Cameron in the cutscenes. And if I'm remembering correctly, The Horde was made by the same people as Star Control, ore at least the same company.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fhistleb posted:

My dad played this game a poo poo ton, he had it down to a science when he hosed up with how long until game over. I need to revisit it after i'm done with X-COM.

Yeah, I played so much I could tell pretty early that a playthrough was a failure. I even had a notebook where I tested out which planets had what survival and level mining depths to know which ones to avoid sending a probe to.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

M_Sinistrari posted:

I used to get Sierra's magazine, thanks to having sent in registration cards, and they hyped this game up big time. And then when it came out it was broken as hell and PC Gamer totally slagged it. I can't remember them being more pissed off at a game in that era until the infamous Battlecruiser 3000 AD.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Static! posted:

Or Jungle/Nuclear/Urban Strike?!

I played a whole bunch of Nuclear Strike back as a kid. Getting to play as the A10 was always the highlight, but I sucked at it all really. Never got past the second level without cheating.

My white whale game is an old war sim thing I used to play on the Amstrad waaaay back in the day called Steel Empires. Basic premise was that you oversaw a world map campaign where you could build and reinforce fortresses to take control of territory, but there was a second 'battle' mode where you could make a team of mechs of varying sizes and capabilities that you piloted around a top down map. All the terrain was destructible and you could blast through it to create shortcuts. I never actually bothered with the campaign; just bombed around maps in the different mechs. I remember the vehicle designs being pretty good, but they probably just boiled down to your standard annoying/fast and powerful/slow mechs. There may have been a two player option because I used to spawn bunches of the tiny mechs and then go smash up the map hunting down teams of these unmoving targets.

Edit: found it! It was released as both Cyber Empires and Steel Empires and it was the first Silicon Knights game. It was indeed as crap as I remember!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xLF1nnLwWk

darkwasthenight has a new favorite as of 06:49 on May 28, 2018

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Screw Steel Empires. Steel Empire, singular, was a Jules Vern-inspired shump with an actual life bar where you could pilot an olde-timey aeroplane or a miniature zeppelin and blow up airships and stuff. The Easy difficulty setting is possible to be beaten by people who are bad at shumps, without being impossible to lose like modern "retro" games keep doing. And you can shoot left at will! It got a re-mastered release, but it's a Wii e-shop exclusive, so I don't know if it's legitimately buy-able any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1H0V3od88

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pneub posted:

Screw Steel Empires. Steel Empire, singular, was a Jules Vern-inspired shump with an actual life bar where you could pilot an olde-timey aeroplane or a miniature zeppelin and blow up airships and stuff. The Easy difficulty setting is possible to be beaten by people who are bad at shumps, without being impossible to lose like modern "retro" games keep doing. And you can shoot left at will! It got a re-mastered release, but it's a Wii e-shop exclusive, so I don't know if it's legitimately buy-able any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1H0V3od88

There's a 3DS remake but it's based on the GBA game instead of the Megadrive version and has muted colours and smaller less interesting bosses as a result.

Sakurazuka has a new favorite as of 13:53 on May 28, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Is this supposed to lead to a lovely Mind of Mencia sketch?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

rydiafan posted:

Is this supposed to lead to a lovely Mind of Mencia sketch?

How the gently caress did I do that?!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I;ve been trying to remember the name of that game for ages, but it was Knights and Merchants. I'd ask around and people would say Stronghold, but no, its not stronghold.

I'm trying to think of games that are actually obscure and not just old, but I can't really be sure, so gently caress it.

One of my favorite games from the 90s was Darklands. It was set in a fairly historical version of the Holy Roman Empire, centered in central and middle Germany. You could create a adventuring group made up of warriors, scholars and priests. You could really customize your characters, chosing their background and history. The map was huge and you literally had an open world, and it was your job to go out and find poo poo to do. It was a lot of fun, but very unforgiving. My friends figured out how to really min max characters, and I discovered you can just create rich characters, move their gear from them to the ones you're going to actually use, so they could start with chain mail rather than leather armor. You could learn alchemy and saints, and those were your magic abilities. You could pray to a saint to unlock a door, or use a smoke bomb to escape from a Bishop that wants you to tithe on the road. There was a story, but you had to find it, by searching out witches covens and villages that secretly worshiped Satan that would you lead you to Templars and eventually against Bahamut himself.

If you're curious about forgotten and obscure inventory/object puzzle games, I highly recomend the Youtube channel Pushing Up Roses.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pushinguproses

She's big into this stuff, and she talks about the big ones like Kings Quest and Monkey Island, but also some I'd never heard. She has a Lets Play about the aforementioned Willy Bemish, and that game is dark. That kid gets killed and turned into sugar if you mess up near the end.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have a question about a piece of educational software from my elmentary school days. It was on mac computers sometime in the mid to late 90s and you were wondering around an island solving puzzles. I also remember you body had been transferred into a doll or something. Do this ring a bell for anyone?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

One of my favorite games from the 90s was Darklands.

The one thing I remember about Darklands is that I've never heard of anyone finishing it.

e: Oh it looks really bad but that I didn't remember.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 00:04 on Jul 1, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I have a question about a piece of educational software from my elmentary school days. It was on mac computers sometime in the mid to late 90s and you were wondering around an island solving puzzles. I also remember you body had been transferred into a doll or something. Do this ring a bell for anyone?

You’re looking for The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary. There was a DOS version too and it’s just as weird as you remember.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dewgy posted:

You’re looking for The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary. There was a DOS version too and it’s just as weird as you remember.

Wow thanks. That is it. Yeah it was a very strange game. Now I need to look up some footage because I actually remember very little of it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

It's fairly obscure but I very much enjoyed the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games for the lesser known Sega Genesis console of the early nineties

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

It's fairly obscure but I very much enjoyed the Sonic the Hedgehog series of games for the lesser known Sega Genesis console of the early nineties

hosed up if true.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sid Vicious posted:

For a moment reading up on these games I thought they sounded very familiar (blue hero fighting a mad scientist and his robot army, has a red rival that becomes an ally, fights an "ultimate" black version of himself) and figured maybe I had a chance to play them a bit as a kid. Turns out I was recalling the altogether different obscure series Mega Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Zanzibar Ham posted:

For a moment reading up on these games I thought they sounded very familiar (blue hero fighting a mad scientist and his robot army, has a red rival that becomes an ally, fights an "ultimate" black version of himself) and figured maybe I had a chance to play them a bit as a kid. Turns out I was recalling the altogether different obscure series Mega Man.

I believe they call this The Tetris Effect