Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Here's a better question; why do you expect anyone here to go into the details of their personal lives for the benefit of a dumb rear end in a top hat like yourself, and why haven't you hosed off yet?

Here's a better-er question: why are you whining and moaning so much when I point out that the game was never meant to be 'a fun diversion for random couples' and in fact, totally something you're meant to indulge in with strangers or casual friends, per the words of its creator?

I don't know why you've chosen this as a hill to die on, but I guess there are worse things than the erotic game of consensual tentacle sex to die over. Just, not as many as you desperately seem to be hoping for!

Haystack posted:

Look, Bedlamdan, I get that you're in a place where the idea of being playful with sex is scary and borderline incomprehensible.

I don't want to be playful with sex with casual friends, though, that just results in being a creepy tool!

I'm still more than a little freaked out that my milquetoast criticism of a hunk of kickstarted cardboard is being described as performative here? Am I the evil SJW now? Are we pretending that any of this poo poo where we're relaxed and chill about something potentially awkward isn't going to be thrown out the proverbial loving window when we flip out at the next nerd deciding to kickstart a set of minis with big tits?

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bedlamdan posted:

something potentially awkward

:lol: that you think this is the reason people have a problem with titty miniatures.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

:lol: that you think this is the reason people have a problem with titty miniatures.

I already know why you have a problem with titty miniatures, you've already made it clear in multiple posts whenever somebody does it. It still amounts to the same thing in the end though? Weird and awkwardly spliced in sex stuff when you're really just trying to have a good time with friends, and a lack of understanding that maybe a public space isn't even remotely the best place for this sort of thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bedlamdan posted:

It still amounts to the same thing in the end though?
No. Sorry about your brokebrains.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
:gas:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bedlamdan posted:

I already know why you have a problem with titty miniatures, you've already made it clear in multiple posts whenever somebody does it. It still amounts to the same thing in the end though? Weird and awkwardly spliced in sex stuff when you're really just trying to have a good time with friends, and a lack of understanding that maybe a public space isn't even remotely the best place for this sort of thing.

People are going hard on you because your original comment sounded like a personal attack against the entire community here, which would have got you off on the wrong foot even if there weren't deeper issues here.

People get upset about Kingdom Death because it takes rape and sexual abuse and losing control of your body and presents it as "looking how loving cool this is!" There are a lot of different reasons why this might make someone uncomfortable and they go way beyond "sex is gauche to talk about in public."

Some of it is, admittedly, about judging people according to their tastes; publicly announcing that you're into the stuff on display in Kingdom Death says something worse about you than just liking something with sexual content in it. (Whether that's fair or not.)

There's also a practical-level concern that sexual abuse as a theme is genuinely upsetting to people who have experienced it or had someone near them experience it, which is an order of magnitude different than just "that's kind of awkward."

Think about it by analogy if it helps: there's a difference between someone thinking you're a nerd for playing wargames, and someone thinking you're being rude for plonking down your Axis and Allies set in front of a Holocaust survivor. Except sexual abuse survivors are unfortunately common and their status is more or less invisible unless they say something about it.

Finally -- and while this is something I care about, it probably matters a lot less than the previous two points -- it's worth analyzing a piece of art, including games and the media used in them, to try and figure out what it communicates. Kingdom Death might very well use sexual violence to make a statement about how evil and insidious it is; on the other hand it might glorify it; I don't claim to know. But that's still another possible distinction between it and a game that is explicitly about how consent is important.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Oh come on, we haven't even heard Plutonis talk about the World Cup. I heard something about the top ranked team tanking hard out of the gate and bombing harder afterwards. Also the U.S. is doing good? I thought we were B-C tier.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

People are going hard on you because your original comment sounded like a personal attack against the entire community here, which would have got you off on the wrong foot even if there weren't deeper issues here.

People get upset about Kingdom Death because it takes rape and sexual abuse and losing control of your body and presents it as "looking how loving cool this is!" There are a lot of different reasons why this might make someone uncomfortable and they go way beyond "sex is gauche to talk about in public."

Some of it is, admittedly, about judging people according to their tastes; publicly announcing that you're into the stuff on display in Kingdom Death says something worse about you than just liking something with sexual content in it. (Whether that's fair or not.)

There's also a practical-level concern that sexual abuse as a theme is genuinely upsetting to people who have experienced it or had someone near them experience it, which is an order of magnitude different than just "that's kind of awkward."

Think about it by analogy if it helps: there's a difference between someone thinking you're a nerd for playing wargames, and someone thinking you're being rude for plonking down your Axis and Allies set in front of a Holocaust survivor. Except sexual abuse survivors are unfortunately common and their status is more or less invisible unless they say something about it.

Finally -- and while this is something I care about, it probably matters a lot less than the previous two points -- it's worth analyzing a piece of art, including games and the media used in them, to try and figure out what it communicates. Kingdom Death might very well use sexual violence to make a statement about how evil and insidious it is; on the other hand it might glorify it; I don't claim to know. But that's still another possible distinction between it and a game that is explicitly about how consent is important.

I'm not even talking about Kingdom Death, that was Plutonis. gently caress.

gently caress

I'm sorry I maligned the erotic cardboard game, I think at this point I'd much rather do something else to do with my day.

gently caress

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Oh come on, we haven't even heard Plutonis talk about the World Cup. I heard something about the top ranked team tanking hard out of the gate and bombing harder afterwards. Also the U.S. is doing good? I thought we were B-C tier.

The US lost its spot on the cup to Panama and Panama got brutally destroyed by the Tunisians, Belgians and English.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Father Wendigo posted:

Also the U.S. is doing good? I thought we were B-C tier.
At least the US aren't tanking out hard in the group stage. :negative:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bedlamdan posted:

gently caress

I'm sorry I maligned the erotic cardboard game, I think at this point I'd much rather do something else to do with my day.

gently caress
Dude you got told. Stop trying to pretend you're noping out under your own terms.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Bedlamdan posted:

gently caress

gently caress

imagine arguing from a place of such bad faith that people mistake you for plutonis and feeling that maybe you should keep going

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I never argued from bad faith.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Plutonis posted:

:stare:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

terrifying

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Let's go back to Macross RPG talk

what do I roll to disguise my Valkyrie in a space suit and sneak onto a Zentraedi ship

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Blockhouse posted:

Let's go back to Macross RPG talk

what do I roll to disguise my Valkyrie in a space suit and sneak onto a Zentraedi ship

+Cool.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mentally statting out the cast of Macross Delta as FFG Star Wars characters once got me through a really slow day at work.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

Dude you got told. Stop trying to pretend you're noping out under your own terms.

Well okay, I'm actually cool with having an argument you apparently don't want to have, beyond the chance to get the last word in. I never came here to defend or justify Kingdom Death, I'm not interested in doing so, and I don't know why the gently caress Tuxedo Catfish felt that pulling me into that conversation would somehow vindicate someone else's erotic cardgame. I don't know why you're so desperate to defend said erotic cardgame. I don't know why you guys are trying to wave it off as something that, tee hee, was only ever meant as a wacky time for couples when, no, the creator totally built it with the intent getting in on this with strangers. When I brought this up, I get a long tirade about how it's at least less problematic than Kingdom Death.

Which, great! That might be true but that was never the point I was trying to make, it's not like we haven't melted the gently caress down over things more innocuous, and gently caress yourself for demanding that I somehow try to justify someone else's bizarre tangent.

Sion posted:

imagine arguing from a place of such bad faith that people mistake you for plutonis and feeling that maybe you should keep going

I think with hard work, care, and relentless application, many of the posters here could strive for the integrity and care that Plutonis puts in his posts.

Or at least, Plutonis has never tried to defend a sexy cardgame against the terrifying calumny that is "It's weird that you're meant to play it with strangers."

And it was made with the intent of playing it with strangers. Nobody seems willing to argue against that after I quoted the creator, so I'm not sure what we're arguing? I thought the whole point of the posts before this thing started was acknowledgment that "oh yeah, it's totally weird if you play it with strangers" but I guess something changed here.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Congrats on your excellent performance of “The Densest Man Alive.” A true master of the craft.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Please stop this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

alright that's a 12

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, there's so much point-missing it's slightly surreal. I've always passed up doing a Robotech F&F reading because if people think my Rifts reviews are negative, you haven't seen my opinions on Robotech. Rewatching it - I just finished Macross last night - only pins home just divergent it is from the actual show. It's the game they wished the show was like. It's not quite as jarring as something like Prime Directive, but it's a similar take where it focuses on the toyetic military aspects and nothing else.

The fact that the first published adventure - Ghost Ship - is essentially a dungeon crawl (with a Zentraedi ship as the dungeon in question) says quite a bit about the game line.

Speaking of F&F and Palladium Games, has anyone done one of Splicers yet, cause it's a fascinating game, at least from a setting perspective

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ghost Ship even has giant rats. It's probably the only cute part, where a Zentraedi scientist is trying to upsize Earthly animals as a biological weapon. It doesn't work out, of course. But still! Giant rats! How more dungeoney can you get? Southern Cross... I don't know if I'll watch that, but I understand it was cancelled about twelve to thirteen episodes early since it bombed even in Japan, which probably explains a lot.

But yeah, Hunter / Hikaru has an amazing talent for bad and awful decisions. I realized partway through that Max is the big major hero who wins all the things and Hikaru just happens to be the protagonist.

Pretty much the only good thing about Southern Cross is it's opening and some of it's mechanical designs, although to be fair that can be said about a lot of Mecha series

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bedlamdan posted:

Well okay, I'm actually cool with having an argument you apparently don't want to have, beyond the chance to get the last word in. I never came here to defend or justify Kingdom Death, I'm not interested in doing so, and I don't know why the gently caress Tuxedo Catfish felt that pulling me into that conversation would somehow vindicate someone else's erotic cardgame. I don't know why you're so desperate to defend said erotic cardgame. I don't know why you guys are trying to wave it off as something that, tee hee, was only ever meant as a wacky time for couples when, no, the creator totally built it with the intent getting in on this with strangers. When I brought this up, I get a long tirade about how it's at least less problematic than Kingdom Death.

There's a rather large space between "innocuous" and "Kingdom Death" to which most of what I said still applies. That post also wasn't meant as a personal attack against you, as tempting as it might have been after you opened this conversation by calling everyone virgins, surreptiously bringing up incest, and accusing people of being body pillow fuckers, and then wondering "why is everyone so defensive about my milquetoast point?"

I will strive to be clearer in the future.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of F&F and Palladium Games, has anyone done one of Splicers yet, cause it's a fascinating game, at least from a setting perspective
I was really, really confused for a second there.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Congrats on your excellent performance of “The Densest Man Alive.” A true master of the craft.

There’s a simple way of getting someone to stop a conversation you don’t want to have: don’t prolong it only for the sake of getting the last word in.

Either dish out something better than “im gay” or just let it go! Tough call, but it’s either Scylla or Charybdis my dude.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a rather large space between "innocuous" and "Kingdom Death" to which most of what I said still applies. That post also wasn't meant as a personal attack against you, as tempting as it might have been after you opened this conversation by calling everyone virgins, surreptiously bringing up incest, and accusing people of being body pillow fuckers, and then wondering "why is everyone so defensive about my milquetoast point?"

I will strive to be clearer in the future.

I’m more than happy to be insulted, it’s literally just words on a box I can either take or leave. I just didn’t want to be pulled into defending Kingdom Death, that would make this go on for at least a few more pages, I’d rather just pack it in.

I appreciate your post, it was honest and in retrospect I should have at least made more of an effort tossing out cheap one liners against the premise rather than the posters.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 30, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

robotoilet
Nov 1, 2004

tell him to join the circus!
Is there a burning wheel / torchbearer thread? I scanned a little but didn't find one. I recently picked up Torchbearer and super want to run it, is there a good FAQ or "things to know" before starting a game? Like common problems or things you wish you knew before starting? I'm totally new to the system

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734988

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Torchbearer is amazing and basically the other side of the coin regarding Good OSR-Style Games from DCC.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

It seems really cool, but also mostly dead... like the thread mentions above that they might be working on the level 6-10 rules two or more years ago. And there's a bunch of old unfinished playtest material on their site.

Hell, even buying the stuff from their site is difficult.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Luke Crane is kinda a madman and is super weird and secretive about what he’s working on and when it’s planned to come out, among other things.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Zarick posted:

It seems really cool, but also mostly dead... like the thread mentions above that they might be working on the level 6-10 rules two or more years ago. And there's a bunch of old unfinished playtest material on their site.

Those rules for level 6 to 10 came out.

https://www.torchbearerrpg.com/?p=199

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Consentacles seems like it was intentionally made it as non-erotic as possible, barring the basic premise. That's kind of weird for a game that is literally about the PCs having sex, but if you look at the actual game content it seems clear that it wasn't made to be something to jerk off to, as opposed to whatever hentai-Uno game it was apparently in response to.

I still don't think I'd play it with anyone but my girlfriend though (or at all, even. Just not particularly interested :v:).

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So, hey, can I interrupt the consentacles with a bit of an e/n rant?

We have a bit of an Alpha Player in our group - he's also the host, so to some extent he deserves the position. For a while we've been playing a SotDL campaign run by someone else, but they didn't feel like GMing. So Alpha offers to run a campaign of D&D 5e. I complain a little, pointing out that he's bogarting both the currently SotDL GM and me, who offered to run something else (I previously suggested Strike at the time when the SotDL was being set up)

Of course, anyone familiar with the Dark Side of the Social Skills Force will know how Alpha reacted to that. He instantly pulled his offer to run and began to insist vehemently that everyone must play in my campaign now, because I complained. :owned:

So now the whole situation's a mess. I'm obviously not going to run anything because the atmosphere will be terrible and Alpha will be making every effort he can to break the system, but his slamming his way into a 5e game again will leave me just depressed about the whole thing. I know you might be tempted to say :sever: but that basically means no social contact at all, which is going a bit far.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

So, hey, can I interrupt the consentacles with a bit of an e/n rant?

We have a bit of an Alpha Player in our group - he's also the host, so to some extent he deserves the position. For a while we've been playing a SotDL campaign run by someone else, but they didn't feel like GMing. So Alpha offers to run a campaign of D&D 5e. I complain a little, pointing out that he's bogarting both the currently SotDL GM and me, who offered to run something else (I previously suggested Strike at the time when the SotDL was being set up)

Of course, anyone familiar with the Dark Side of the Social Skills Force will know how Alpha reacted to that. He instantly pulled his offer to run and began to insist vehemently that everyone must play in my campaign now, because I complained. :owned:

So now the whole situation's a mess. I'm obviously not going to run anything because the atmosphere will be terrible and Alpha will be making every effort he can to break the system, but his slamming his way into a 5e game again will leave me just depressed about the whole thing. I know you might be tempted to say :sever: but that basically means no social contact at all, which is going a bit far.
Embrace the dark side and run your game, but don't invite him. Find literally any other place to play and play there. Let him know he can come back when he stops acting like a 14 year old girl who thought Mean Girls was a how-to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

gourdcaptain posted:

The most "amazing" Palladium Robotech RPG avenue is Lancer's Rockers, which is where finally by the time of MOSPAEDA KS decided to include mechanics for music... with "instrumecha" that are keytar controlled sonic cannons or such. Way to miss the point. The Kevin Long art is hilarious.

It's honestly the best thing they did for Robotech, in my opinion, aside from getting Kevin Long to do some pretty solid robot art. It was by Jonathan Frater (known only for working on the Robotech line) and Jeffery Gomez (who worked on the Robotech line and... a lot of generic d20 / fantasy stuff like "Call to Arms: Ten-Foot Poles"). It's goofy and dumb but it's about the closest they ever come to embracing the musical angle... even if it was Mospeada and not Macross. But the bar was set so low it doesn't take a lot to clear it.

I'll definitely take instrumecha over "The Invid had a king too! And he's super evil!"

gourdcaptain posted:

All I'm going to say is that the same person in the case of Rick Hunter who's completely incapable of not cheating on a relationship and flipping his idea of who he's certainly going out with for real three times in a row abruptly (he is awful)

Having just watched Do You Remember Love?, it was deeply refreshing to have the love triangle resolved in a single scene once everything collides because it's a movie and we don't have time for that.

Granted Roy Fokker is somehow worse in that one than before, so I guess some sort of lovely guy balance is maintained.

drrockso20 posted:

Nope! It is interesting because it's a notable divergence by A) specifically being anti-crossover, and B) having some slightly different balance / design elements. It was really Carmen Bellaire's baby- a regular Palladium writer in the 2000s who later would have the Rifts Board Game kickstarter that imploded spectacularly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nope! It is interesting because it's a notable divergence by A) specifically being anti-crossover, and B) having some slightly different balance / design elements. It was really Carmen Bellaire's baby- a regular Palladium writer in the 2000s who later would have the Rifts Board Game kickstarter that imploded spectacularly.

He's the guy who attempted suicide which Sembieda jumped on as a soapbox to berate people pissed about Robotech Tactics, yeah? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zarick posted:

Torchbearer is pretty feature-complete but I'm sad we'll never see a ton of adventure support. If there were published adventures I'd probably run that poo poo into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

He's the guy who attempted suicide which Sembieda jumped on as a soapbox to berate people pissed about Robotech Tactics, yeah? Or am I thinking of someone else?

That's him. I'd hate to define a guy solely by that, but yeah, that's him.