Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

After reading 112 pages of Simpsons thread, I've concluded that the Simpsons aren't done digging towards their lowest point

I dunno MargeNod pretty well encapsulates a lot of things. I think those couple of frames of animation might be the precise low point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
margenod.gif is pretty goddamn awful but I have faith they can do worse

KiteAuraan posted:

"GREASE ME UP WOMAN!"

I still say "Okey dokey!" and think of this scene when presented with life's surprises

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

KiteAuraan posted:

It's "Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badass Song". Not only is it a great character ep for Skinner, but it gave us "GREASE ME UP WOMAN!", "MAKE WAY FOR WILLY!" and Billy and the Clone-A-Saurus.

Up yours children.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Skinner is a great and underappreciated character.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Skinner is a great and underappreciated character.

He’s not that under appreciated anymore now that steamed hams is a huge meme. Same with Chalmers. They’re subtly some of the best characters on the show.

I just realized that the next low for the show will be when they start referencing the memes and poo poo posts in season 33.:barf:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
somebody make :margenod:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Yeardley Smith thinks Marge vs. the Monorail is one of the worst episodes they've ever done, proving she is just as irritating as her character

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Communist Walrus posted:

Yeardley Smith thinks Marge vs. the Monorail is one of the worst episodes they've ever done, proving she is just as irritating as her character

The staff had big fights early on about whether the show should remain grounded firmly in reality or not. Matt Groening (and apparently Yeardley Smith) were in the firmly grounded camp, so they fought a lot of stuff everyone loves, like the monorail, Homer going to space, Homer skateboarding into the canyon. I think James L Brooks often overrode Groening on these issues.

Now, of course, nobody gives two fucks and they would never fight about such matters.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best seasons were produced during the time when the staff was divided between those who wanted a more grounded show and those who wanted a wackier time because all good art comes from conflict. When they were more unified around wackyness the horrible episodes of the early 2000's were created.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best seasons were produced during the time when the staff was divided between those who wanted a more grounded show and those who wanted a wackier time because all good art comes from conflict. When they were more unified around wackyness the horrible episodes of the early 2000's were created.

The showrunner, Mike Scully, also instituted a "We work 9-5, no more crazy hours writing better jokes" rule around that time.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Homer skateboarding into the canyon

The first time I watched that may have been the hardest I’d ever laughed at American television up until that point.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

I can totally see people disliking the episode. It's definitely one of the first big signs that the tone of the show's writing was starting to change. But... one of the worst episodes? Has she been in a coma for the last fifteen years? :psyduck:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Communist Walrus posted:

She seems kinda dumb from the commentaries I’ve listened to that have her on them.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i rewatched the first 8 episodes of the simpsons over the past 3-4 weeks and when they're all close together I could pinpoint when I started to dislike it.

around the poochie episode, is when I gave up and stopped watching any more.

Usenet ruined the Simpsons because the writers increasingly did things just as a contrarian gently caress-you to the Internet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SeANMcBAY posted:

She seems kinda dumb from the commentaries I’ve listened to that have her on them.

With the kind of money she's pulling in to just phone in Lisa, she can get away with being dumb

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

PostNouveau posted:

The showrunner, Mike Scully, also instituted a "We work 9-5, no more crazy hours writing better jokes" rule around that time.

Seems reasonable at that point - the show was on autopilot, everyone involved was set for life, why act like a new show out to prove itself

If writers want they can come up with better jokes on their own time

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I always just wanted a realistic, down to earth show that was completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually never thought of it that way but that is dead on. All the best episodes are either a down to earth story with wacky moments or a wacky story wit’s down to earth moments.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
It was interesting looking at the ebb and flow even... especially during the golden years. The show started relatively down to earth but in seasons 4 and especially by 5 and 6 things got increasingly insane with stuff like Homer going to space, the whole Captain Wacky thing well describes Homer increasingly turning into a crazy caricature getting into zany adventures which wasn't really in the spirit of how the show started and it's easy to see why Groening and others did not like it, no matter how good the jokes were. David Mirkin really ramped that sort of thing up when he was the showrunner, but Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein deliberately dialed back on the zaniness (Hank Scorpio notwithstanding) to try and return things a bit to the more down to earth family stories of the earlier seasons with some awareness of how the craziness went a bit too far in the past, like that's a big thing in Homer's Enemy. I find it interesting that my personal favorite seasons are 7 and 8, when Oakley and Weinstein were running things, and I wonder if the perceived decline would be put closer to season 4 if they hadn't been able to reel things in a bit since I and a lot of other people really don't like how things got so disconnected from anything real during the decline years and you can actually see a lot of that in the classic fourth and fifth seasons.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

khwarezm posted:

It was interesting looking at the ebb and flow even... especially during the golden years. The show started relatively down to earth but in seasons 4 and especially by 5 and 6 things got increasingly insane with stuff like Homer going to space, the whole Captain Wacky thing well describes Homer increasingly turning into a crazy caricature getting into zany adventures which wasn't really in the spirit of how the show started and it's easy to see why Groening and others did not like it, no matter how good the jokes were. David Mirkin really ramped that sort of thing up when he was the showrunner, but Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein deliberately dialed back on the zaniness (Hank Scorpio notwithstanding) to try and return things a bit to the more down to earth family stories of the earlier seasons with some awareness of how the craziness went a bit too far in the past, like that's a big thing in Homer's Enemy. I find it interesting that my personal favorite seasons are 7 and 8, when Oakley and Weinstein were running things, and I wonder if the perceived decline would be put closer to season 4 if they hadn't been able to reel things in a bit since I and a lot of other people really don't like how things got so disconnected from anything real during the decline years and you can actually see a lot of that in the classic fourth and fifth seasons.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w--VcX3n_7w

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's weird how the characters are mean to each other now. Like noticeably more malicious and hostile

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's weird how the characters are mean to each other now. Like noticeably more malicious and hostile
Its a cheap way to do character-based drama, since i'm sure the writers come up with an idea about.... *spins wheel* ... Homer and Bart ... dealing with ... dating... and someone says "That was a C-plot in S6e22"

So instead you just have them be mean, petty, vindictive shits and the jokes write themselves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This wasn’t good but I was disappointed it wasn’t worse.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Watching the middle seasons recently I think I pinpointed a bunch of post 9/11 stuff from 2001-2003 as my personal worsts from the Simpsons. It's not Marge head nod bad, but, like there's a whole episode about the town going nuts accusing the family of being unpatriotic because Bart accidentally moons the flag. It just reeks of this ugly Bush era nationalism that leaves a sour taste in my mouth and really marks a point where it was evident that the show had outlived the era and culture it was built to mock.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Calaveron posted:

What was the highest point of the Simpsons

moe lie detector

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

when he scratched the bottom of the lasagna pan it made the unmistakable sound of metal on metal. Yet I would advise AGAINST putting metal in the microwave. are we to believe this is some sort of magic microwave

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

this was how I felt until he said "you were the wings beneath my rear end"

e: as in that made it as bad as I was expecting

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Milo and POTUS posted:

when he scratched the bottom of the lasagna pan it made the unmistakable sound of metal on metal. Yet I would advise AGAINST putting metal in the microwave. are we to believe this is some sort of magic microwave
Holy crap, that's the exact same thought I had.
We goons really are the comic book nerds in that classic scene, right?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I actually never thought of it that way but that is dead on. All the best episodes are either a down to earth story with wacky moments or a wacky story wit’s down to earth moments.

Seriously the first season sitcom focused entirely on a realistic family that just happened to be animated didn't work. It wouldn't work until King of the Hill. The complete wackyness of the later seasons also doesn't work. That's why the insane wackyness of the middle seasons that somehow had a realistic grounded family at the heart created a Golden Age. Then we finally realized there were only so many times Marge could leave Homer.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

this is family guy.

wiggum is peter, and this is a family guy sketch.

ugh

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I suppose some things don't change.

...No, it's still lifeless.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Hank Azaria: "Wait, am I doing Wiggum or Moe for this scene? Ah, gently caress it."

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Communist Walrus posted:

Hank Azaria: "Wait, am I doing Wiggum or Moe for this scene? Ah, gently caress it."

Ah poo poo you're right, its super noticable talking to the courier.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

THE BAR posted:

I suppose some things don't change.

...No, it's still lifeless.

You know, it's amazing that the Simpsons haven't had to get a new car recently. Also that I can't recall an episode about getting new tires or some other maintenance based shennanagins. Or hell just copy the King of the Hill episode when Hank's truck dies.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm glad the voice actors and writers can still get a decent paycheck by fleecing fox at least

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

You know, it's amazing that the Simpsons haven't had to get a new car recently. Also that I can't recall an episode about getting new tires or some other maintenance based shennanagins. Or hell just copy the King of the Hill episode when Hank's truck dies.

There's one a while back where Homer gets the tires rotated, and gets scammed a ton. And I think it's the one where they go to the super bowl and jail. I forget.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hrist posted:

There's one a while back where Homer gets the tires rotated, and gets scammed a ton. And I think it's the one where they go to the super bowl and jail. I forget.

Yeah IIRC that episodes starts with Homer getting coupons for something like that and gets scammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

I’ve even got a catch phrase: “Nyah!” “Nyah!” “Wah, wah wah...” No... I lost it.

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 1, 2018