Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
:rip: :911: :rip:

I ask now: What should be done with the corpse of our beloved leader? Whatever dark knowledge we have gained, resurrection of the dead is unfortunately not among it. Our options: A grand tomb? Dining on his flesh so he lives on within us? Sacrificing his mortal remains to another dark god (general human sacrifices need must be alive, but an offering of meat is a lesser option)? Something else? My session is now on pause while I await guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Archenteron posted:

:rip: :911: :rip:

I ask now: What should be done with the corpse of our beloved leader? Whatever dark knowledge we have gained, resurrection of the dead is unfortunately not among it. Our options: A grand tomb? Dining on his flesh so he lives on within us? Sacrificing his mortal remains to another dark god (general human sacrifices need must be alive, but an offering of meat is a lesser option)? Something else? My session is now on pause while I await guidance.

:chef:

I learned an important lesson tonight: keep your rock storage pile away from your main defensive line. A Nod trooper was able to make a nice little nest in there and hold out long enough to get a lucky shot on my colony's mayor before one of the androids got close enough to put a sword in her ribs.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

I tossed mine in a normal grave. If he was so great he would have dodged the bullet right? I kept it close so the others could visit but tucked out of sight so they don't get mopy - not a single one has gone back after they tossed him in and shoveled the dirt on top.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Falcorum posted:

I just got this and lost my starting base after 2h to a herd of angry deer. Tornado? No problem. Rain with exposed batteries? Well that was a surprise but easily fixed. Deer though? Sheer death.

Also having to apply medicine to prisoners you're harvesting organs from is pretty wasteful. :colbert:

Someone else said it earlier, but you're not using the medicine on the uh, source. You're using them to preserve the organs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Someone else said it earlier, but you're not using the medicine on the uh, source. You're using them to preserve the organs.

And you don't need medicine medicine. Just herbs will do fine.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Warmachine posted:

And you don't need medicine medicine. Just herbs will do fine.

"Hey, Dave went on a boozer and keeled over again, is that liver we took out of the pirate guy last week okay to jam in him?"
"Eh, we packed it in crushed sage, it should be fine."
"..."
"And a little rosemary."

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
More like kingsfoil. Most people think it's a weed.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Archenteron posted:

I just had two back-to-back cargo pod events. One was a lot of milk. The second was arctic wolfskins.

I am now apprehensive about this milk.

Ah, the emergency backup supply has arrived.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhjGXCk-RVU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Since the last time we checked in, the Goons have set up a barracks and moved most of their operations inside:

JeffK is having some serious problems with depression. Maybe he needs a girlfriend, or at least a bedroom to call his own. Maybe it's this new refugee, 54 year old Mob Boss Ingrid Estrada, who the colony welcomes.

In spite of being asked not to fire in to his goonmates, Lowtax sprays down the melee battle that follows when Estrada's chasers attack. Ophelia, is, unfortunately, lost in the struggle. Crabs, JeffK and James are also downed. The marauders knock down Lowtax and things aren't looking good:

but Estrada is a badass and takes 1 down, causing the other to flee. Unfortunately, she's not a doctor and has no aid to offer her new clan. JeffK, Crabs and James are less than 4 hours each from death...and all 3 die in their sleep as Lowtax and Estrada snooze on the adjacent beds. RIP. Estrada is content to let Lowtax slowly starve while recovering from her injuries.

As they rot, another raid approaches. Estrada hauls her sorry rear end out of bed and picks up Lowtax's gun for the final stand:

BOOM HEADSHOT but it's unlikely to matter. Who knows, though. Estrada heads immediately back to the sleeping area, which by now is basically just a pool of blood. Doesn't stop her, though- she's sleepy, dammit!

Things are not looking good for Lowtax:

Estrada is turning out to sort of be a raw deal. It'd be nice to know what these guys are like before you bring them in- I think there are mods for that :)

As with so many RimWorld tales, ours ends not with a bang, but with a whimper. Estrada's infected torso, combined with her unwillingness to treat it or take care of Lowtax, means that she and he starve together, meters from each other, food and medicine- she, alone on the foundations of the unbuilt kitchen, he; in a jacuzzi of plasma on a floor in the corner.

Thus dies the Internet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good, the internet was terrible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
womp womp womppppp

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
You could always ask GIP why firing into melee with a minigun went wrong. Admit it, you were bored of Jeffs whining and just wanted them all dead.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ratzap posted:

You could always ask GIP why firing into melee with a minigun went wrong. Admit it, you were bored of Jeffs whining and just wanted them all dead.

i hit the thing to tell him not to fire at will, and then he unloaded in to the brawl :shrug: it's too bad because i'm pretty sure it was handled.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I know the motto is “embrace failure” with this game but man, it’s gutting when you lose a colony of around 20 hours due to one fuckup. A cascading fuckup but still.

The final straw was my main doctor having a mental break and slitting his wrists. gently caress, what a way to go.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's mine.

just the pyromaniac having a mental break and setting fire to the giant pile of petrol canisters we had in the middle of the base.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm, I've run into an interesting bug where, when attempting to make steel plate armour, the materials simply disappear.

That seems to be the end of this run, which is sad, as I took this tribal colony to 23 warg wrangling members:(

Edit: it appears to be related to the Make Until bill system, as any instructions to simply make x of still work.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was playing a random quick start game last night and it's going better than expected with a psychopath assassin and 3 other misfits who all throw insults at one another. I was trying not to hunt the muffalo herd close to base because I was sure they'd go nuts and wipe me out. But the fuckers started eating the hops crop, that was the last straw. I sent the psycho out with the rifle and she killed 9 of them - I let her melee the downed but not dead ones as I could imagine she'd like that. We lost over a third of the beer crop, bastards.
Then next morning psycho insults the one guy in the group again and he flipped, they punched each other into broken ribs etc and gained a huge mood buff from it. Just before I saved, another girl joined - volatile + lazy. Oh this gun be good, psycho girl insults everyone based on 'I work harder than you'.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ratzap posted:

I was playing a random quick start game last night and it's going better than expected with a psychopath assassin and 3 other misfits who all throw insults at one another. I was trying not to hunt the muffalo herd close to base because I was sure they'd go nuts and wipe me out. But the fuckers started eating the hops crop, that was the last straw. I sent the psycho out with the rifle and she killed 9 of them - I let her melee the downed but not dead ones as I could imagine she'd like that. We lost over a third of the beer crop, bastards.
Then next morning psycho insults the one guy in the group again and he flipped, they punched each other into broken ribs etc and gained a huge mood buff from it. Just before I saved, another girl joined - volatile + lazy. Oh this gun be good, psycho girl insults everyone based on 'I work harder than you'.

This group of fuckups sounds fun :justpost:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

the giant pile of petrol canisters we had in the middle of the base.

I feel like this one might be your fault, tbh.

I generally savescum the poo poo out of my games, or I play them such that I don't have random fuckups, but I did lose one colony to an inordinately large quantity of deep ones that all the gun emplacements in the world couldn't stop from battering down the bunker doors and climbing over their own dead to eat the inner gun line.

The reason it was a fuckup was because I didn't realise that the HP lovecraft storyteller might be trying to kill me.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 2, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah any major flammables like chemfuel or explosives like mortar shells really need to be in their own separate fireproof storage. if those ever catch fire for any reason there is no saving them, the only thing you can hope for is to contain the inevitable inferno.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I usually keep two or three chemfuel storage lockers, all stone construction, always completely covered by overhead mountain so an errant mortar shell can't ruin my day, double or triple thick firewalls, air lock access only, extinguisher poppers everywhere, and well away from any areas where the pawns usually hang out. Especially the guest pawns over which I have no control regarding their psychology, since at least I can treat my nutcases.

Only exception is the high priority fuel depot that I keep near the air craft landing pad and drop pod launchers for speedy refills, sometimes I can't follow my own rules depending on geography, but I keep that pile small, say 6-10 stacks of chemfuel max.

Hell even indoor wood and wood furniture storage is no joke.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I generally like to keep stuff like that in separate bunkered sections, and outside if I'm in any way at risk of a fire getting to them, so, if I have a pyro in the fort, or if I'm running electric cable anywhere near them, or if I might have to set off a big fire to get rid of bugs. Because while they might be a little more likely to go off, they are less likely to take out half the fort due to the blaze.

Build it like a powder magazine, keep the explosives separated into small sections with spacers and blast walls between each section, that helps stop the fire or explosion from chaining and a thin roof will stop it from cooking off due to heat.

I also do this with battery banks for the same reasons.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I keep my chemfuel and explosives in their own stone freezer at 0F. Never had them explode and don't know if it's because it actually works or just luck.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've never had an explosive disaster either, but that is likely due to my habit of building bases that keep the storage areas far away from any areas likely to have fights. And keeping electrical cables in the walls.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i just avoid that whole chemfuel debacle all together

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i don't bother with firepoppers because chemfuel isn't so important to me that i feel like that level of investment is worth it, personally

my larger concern is just making sure that if a fire starts, it's contained. stone wall storage with a wood/stone doubledoor will see to that. the stone door doesn't even need to be closed to stop the flames, though it's nice if it is since it'll keep it from belching heat into the surrounding area.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They don't explode of their own volition but they will if the stack reaches 0hp, and they are very flammable.

So, basically, you just need to keep them absolutely 100% away from any source of ignition or extreme heat or things that might damage them such as explosions.

Which you can't do if there's ever a pyro in the fort, because they (including visitors) will just set fire to random poo poo and short circuits will also cause random explosions and fires in your wiring.

So your choice is basically to keep them in your bunker, in which case you risk them destroying something vital, or setting a big fire that is extremely dangerous in a mountain fort because the heat can't escape like it can in an open fort, or you keep them away from anything valuable in their own bunkers.

Historically, fortification designers have adopted the latter strategy, most gunpowder era fortifications have a dedicated magazine in them somewhere which is often either buried outside of the main fort and accesible by a small tunnel, to minimize the chance of it getting hit by a stray artillery shell and blowing the fort to smithereens, or it's a separate building within the works but with thick walls and a comparatively light roof, so that the explosion is directed upwards and away from the people and structure of the fort, it might be built on top of a bastion or somewhere else where it won't disburse the explosion into the structure of the fort.

Though you occasionally get them built into the ramparts themselves in the hope that the enemy won't know to target the building and that the solidity of the rampart will absorb most things directed at it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

Which you can't do if there's ever a pyro in the fort, because they (including visitors) will just set fire to random poo poo

Hence the "no pyros, ever" policy, and it's addendum: "guest pyros will be shot/beaten the moment they break."

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Random, but how quickly are mods updating to 1.0?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Mostly not at all. They're waiting for the 1.0 version of 1.0 to make sure they dont have to do updating work twice.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Doing different stockpiles in this game is a lot harder than it is in Dwarf Fortress. In DF, I can just have a up/down stair next to each workshop and put stockpiles above and below the workshops. Really easy to have material supply and product storage right loving there.

In RimWorld, I have to put them in different rooms thanks to the "omg it's ugly" mechanic and worry about how to manage access ways and efficient hauling and ugh.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Doing different stockpiles in this game is a lot harder than it is in Dwarf Fortress. In DF, I can just have a up/down stair next to each workshop and put stockpiles above and below the workshops. Really easy to have material supply and product storage right loving there.

In RimWorld, I have to put them in different rooms thanks to the "omg it's ugly" mechanic and worry about how to manage access ways and efficient hauling and ugh.

i tellya, someone oughta make a mod

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's called a shelf.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta say, I had never used deadfall traps before this version, but the wonderful sounds make of 40+ tribals lemming themselves into a a chicane of traps on the edge of the mountain approach is amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ambaire posted:

You don't really have to worry about that, you want your workspaces to be a decent size so people don't get cramped, and there should be ample space to put some art in there or something to make them prettier.

But yes you should make clear walkways for people to use. Hyper efficient hauling only really matters for work where the actual bill uses very little labour, such as food prep, but for art or smithing or whatever the time spent at the bench far outweighs any hauling time, so hauling efficiency is only going to speed up the crafting time marginally.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 2, 2018

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I played a little more with the goon save and my god what a useless, whiny bunch. Were the 3 starters piss poor for yuks or was it a random thing? Jeff goes and sobs over lowtaxs grave every time he drinks (which is pretty frequent). No-one can dig or cook (Jeffs now up to 2 cooking and people are puking less, yay). Plus the events just never stop: blight 1 day before the potato crop harvest started, raiders (doomsday mortar, goodbye), huge fire and lastly a nice toxic fallout right before the cotton is ready. Leaving me 2 naked folk, nothing to make clothes with and winter close.

At least this cargo pod helped stave off starvation and give Jeff more poo poo to burn while learning to cook.

Off course, LJC hauled the racoon corpse first. Too snooty to chow down on husky meat.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I just lost a dozen wargs fending off a mech spawn from a ship part. They were my friends :(.

I must atone for my crimes. The warg breeding program shall continue, but they shall be as pets. The new Battle Boar program should replace the wargs nicely, while also providing a handy food source for them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ratzap posted:

I played a little more with the goon save and my god what a useless, whiny bunch. Were the 3 starters piss poor for yuks or was it a random thing? Jeff goes and sobs over lowtaxs grave every time he drinks (which is pretty frequent). No-one can dig or cook (Jeffs now up to 2 cooking and people are puking less, yay). Plus the events just never stop: blight 1 day before the potato crop harvest started, raiders (doomsday mortar, goodbye), huge fire and lastly a nice toxic fallout right before the cotton is ready. Leaving me 2 naked folk, nothing to make clothes with and winter close.

At least this cargo pod helped stave off starvation and give Jeff more poo poo to burn while learning to cook.

Off course, LJC hauled the racoon corpse first. Too snooty to chow down on husky meat.

It was a goon project simulator and it is perfect.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

honestly the taxman, jeffk, and ljc are not terrible pawns. the worst bit of it is that nobody can cook, yeah. beyond that they have bases covered to a large extent - the trick of it is that nobody is good enough at any of it to tolerate slingshotting or huge mistakes, which was in fact part of my thought when designing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
OK these bug infestations are incredibly powerful