Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Mantises are a gigantic difficulty spike from the whole two bosses you have fought in the game up till then. Not that they aren't fun but I think the optional nature of them and the fact that Quirrel suggests you go get an upgrade first are a pretty clear signal to turn around and try again later.
that's fair. It's still an early game boss though, I can't imagine it would be anything other than a complete faceroll if you wait to do it until later in the game when you're completely decked out

also maybe it's just me but I found the first two bosses a lot more frustrating to fight than the mantis lords on my first playthrough because of the lack of a dash v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

It's hard for me to judge the difficulty of these fights when I've gone through the whole game at this point, but I feel like Mantis Lords aren't really that difficult considering that you have to beat the first two bosses to get to them at all. Both Hornet and False Knight require you to at least have some basic pattern recognition. While it might take a few tries to get a feel for, their attacks have pretty deliberate tells, and the first one is basically a tutorial for the next two.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

skasion posted:

Mantises are a gigantic difficulty spike from the whole two bosses you have fought in the game up till then. Not that they aren't fun but I think the optional nature of them and the fact that Quirrel suggests you go get an upgrade first are a pretty clear signal to turn around and try again later.

:stare: I've uncovered like 98% of the map. Killed probably 15(?) bosses and I haven't even found them yet. That's crazy I missed something that is supposed to be that early in the game. people keep talking about them, I figured they were the end bosses or something.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

:stare: I've uncovered like 98% of the map. Killed probably 15(?) bosses and I haven't even found them yet. That's crazy I missed something that is supposed to be that early in the game. people keep talking about them, I figured they were the end bosses or something.

Same here. I heeded Quirrel's advice and wound up getting every movement ability in the game (except the shadow cloak) before stumbling across the Lords by accident.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I am one of those people who somehow missed Quirrel's message (as in, I didn't see him), and ended up fighting them before ever getting to the City :v: . Was plenty challenging, and loads of fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

I am one of those people who somehow missed Quirrel's message (as in, I didn't see him), and ended up fighting them before ever getting to the City :v: . Was plenty challenging, and loads of fun.
yeah it's so good :swoon: it's easily one of my favorite fights in the entire game because it's just so incredibly solid

the rhythm of it is just amazing and it's the most straightforward no-bullshit fight in the game

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I instinctively dodge holes in the ground and missed the Mantis Lords until I got (most of?) the movement abilities.
Died like 12 times to them, and then perfect'd them the thirteenth. This was basically my experience with the poo poo knight, also.

I've gotten the double jump ability, finally, and can't remember what places I needed it for. What place should I be heading for next?

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

From the top of my head, double jump allows you to get some optional power ups at the top of Crystal Peak, a stag station in Ancient Basin, and the City of Tears to the right of the Hollow Knight fountain has a place you can jump up to. City of Tears is for sure mandatory to beat the game.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 30, 2018

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I'll check them out. Really enjoying this game.

Also, just found out by looking at other posts I can upgrade my weapon.
I am not a clever man.

e: Game has a weird way of bumming me out. Forgotten Crossroads are less forgotten now, but my little mining buddy on the way to the crystal saves is either replace or turned hostile. :(

Mister No fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 30, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mister No posted:

e: Game has a weird way of bumming me out. Forgotten Crossroads are less forgotten now, but my little mining buddy on the way to the crystal saves is either replace or turned hostile. :(

It's the latter.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Mantis Lords are probably my favorite boss in the game. Nothing's ever cheap, the music is fantastic, and just when you think you've won, surprise, it's the Mantis Lords, sucka.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

One of many rad things about the Mantis Lords is that their relative difficulty is thematically appropriate. They're guarding the entrance to Deepnest that you're likely to find first, so they're testing you to make sure you're ready for it.

Also, there's a neat trick for the delicate flower: start at the Traitor's Grave and go to the flower bearer, killing every enemy you see. As long as you don't rest at a bench, the major enemies won't come back, so your return trip to the grave with the flower will be MUCH easier.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i did some tricky nail pogos to get through the majority of crystal peak before getting the double jump and i think ended up skipping most of the miner’s progression accidentally

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

does anybody know how much of the content in this game is technically optional?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The best speedruns end with 11% completion but there’s some odd exploits in there. I think you can still complete the game with less than 20% without breaking anything though.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Oh, huh. Just fought Nosk. That was certainly a thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found it almost impossible not to cheese Nosk. it was nice going from the guardian enraging me to him because I could have just fought him all day.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I only ended up killing him because he decided to only crawl on the ceiling like twice total. The first couple time that's all he was doing and I'd get boxed in a corner. I think my success rate at not taking damage during that attack is literally a zero.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I loved Nosk because you absolutely knew a boss fight was coming from a mile away and that it was going to be a hard one and then that happens

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I did the same thing. In the middle of Mantis Village is a massive trapdoor that you can open right after getting the mantis claw and going through a walljump gauntlet in the upper-right of the area. The thing is... you leave that gauntlet to the right of the trapdoor, so what I did was hit the lever, think "huh, wonder what that did" since I didn't realize the trapdoor even was a trapdoor, and went right to leave the area. Most streamers I've watched would've missed it in the exact same way if it wasn't for chat yelling at them. It might be the only part of the world layout I'd say is actually bad, especially since it could be easily fixed if the gauntlet was moved to the upper-left instead.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So anyway the White Palace can absolutely go to hell

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

YggiDee posted:

So anyway the White Palace can absolutely go to hell

I live for these posts.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The pain has only just begun. I don't know if you've tried experimenting with charm setups there, but deep focus, grub song, and hivemind make it so you have pretty much unlimited tries without game overing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Grubberfly's Elegy makes Grubsong give more SOUL so combined with Deep Focus it's actually a net gain. More SOUL efficient than Hiveblood, you don't have to wait ten seconds after every hit, and you get one extra charm slot.

I'm just real lovely at platformers.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
you feel like a god when it clicks though. for me it took about 2 hours of constant butting my head against it all (that spike hallway and saw hallway :suicide:)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I beat hornet 2.0 (or is it 3.0?) at the kingdom’s edge after dying a ton. I tried to brute force it too much and could only do it when I was calm and collected. When I finally quit caring about striking her and just tried instead to dance with her, that’s when it clicked. I would just tap her occasionally as we jumped around the arena and eventually she went down.

God I feel like a boss!

:black101:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I get confused as heck whenever someone says any iteration of Hornet is hard when I'm not great at this game and she's consistently one of the easiest bosses.

Her hitbox is obvious, she has very straightforward moves that she always telegraphs, you have all the time in the world to heal during her fight. There's zero gotchas, you just walk up to her, hit her, walk away, wait for her to do another attack, repeat.

In the second fight you just make sure to thwack the spikey boys whenever you have a chance.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
"What, you can hit those things?!?" - Dancer, on their 6th play-through of Hollow Knight

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dancer posted:

"What, you can hit those things?!?" - Dancer, on their 6th play-through of Hollow Knight

Holy poo poo. How did you beat her?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It... took some attempts :V. I was also a fair bit more aggressive than you describe (shorter fight = less opportunities to screw up, even if you are more likely to).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I beat hornet 2.0 (or is it 3.0?) at the kingdom’s edge after dying a ton. I tried to brute force it too much and could only do it when I was calm and collected. When I finally quit caring about striking her and just tried instead to dance with her, that’s when it clicked. I would just tap her occasionally as we jumped around the arena and eventually she went down.

God I feel like a boss!

:black101:

I just did that too. I think hornet is the best boss because she isn’t a chump but also gives you reasonable windows to heal or get composed.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's actually NK Grimm, but Hornet is a good one.

If you haven't done the Grimm Troupe yet (It's easy to miss) you definitely should. It has some nice rewards and the aforementioned best boss. This goes for everyone who hasn't seen it.
You start it in the Howling Cliffs, behind a breakable wall around the side where Cornifer was. You'll know you've done it when you light a giant torch and Dirtmouth suddenly doubles in population

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some way to get that mantis to open the bench door by mantis lords? What a dick move. The boss run sucks

Edit: arent those guys supposed to have a second phase? I was all ready for them to go at me at the same time and then it just ended

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 1, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

Is there some way to get that mantis to open the bench door by mantis lords? What a dick move. The boss run sucks

Edit: arent those guys supposed to have a second phase? I was all ready for them to go at me at the same time and then it just ended

I opened some kind of shortcut to the top of the mantis village from the rest of the area. It bypasses all of the mantis enemies and I think it might be a better route to go from queen's station instead. slower but more reliable to arrive with full health + mana.

edit: I opened the shortcut you asked about (from the bench in the mantis village, or a screen or two away, to the royal waterway and I think I did it from the mantis side. It might be a lever that is accessable when going left from the bench, then down, to rescue the woman who goes back up to dirtmouth.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 1, 2018

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I started Grim troupe before I went off to finish the game and boy having to use 3 notches to take this Grimchild back to her dad for a fight has me stumped

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

veni veni veni posted:

The guy will stop slamming it in your face... after you kill the Mantis Lords.

IIRC the Mantis Lords just have "one guy fights you" and then "two guys fight you." (Is this really a spoiler?) It's neat how everyone's experiences with boss fights different; as long as you have a dash I've found the Mantis Lords incredibly easy in both of my playthroughs, but the re-worked Nosk kicked my rear end around the room until I found a mostly-safe place to stand. My first time through I had no problems with either Hornet fight and my second time through the second fight took me a lot of tries.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
City of tears spoilers: these watcher knights are real sons of bitches. God forbid you need to heal at any point. It's nearly impossible even with the fast cast charm. I am making rounds with monarch wings now, about how far thru this game am I?

I'm going to explore elsewhere and come back after a nail upgrade and/or another trinket slot hopefully.

Oh wow I realize now I was equipping the trinket that makes spells more potent, not focus faster. Doh!!

And now at the upgraded form of s crystal bench boss. This game def has a very abrupt, steep increase in difficulty. Also this boss is the first point in the game making me question hit boxes. The beam that appear from the ceiling and damaging me constantly when I think I'm clear of them. This is the first point in the game making me call bullshit for real. Did anyone else have trouble positioning themselves around these beams?

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 1, 2018

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I just wanna double check, is there an actual boss in the beast's den? The whole place was a maze and I wanna make sure I didn't miss anything before I gtfo and never go back.

Also, I had never considered healing in fights. I felt like the wind up was too long and was meant to be used outside of combat. I'm very bad at this game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mister No posted:

I just wanna double check, is there an actual boss in the beast's den? The whole place was a maze and I wanna make sure I didn't miss anything before I gtfo and never go back.

Nope! You're done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

guppy posted:

The guy will stop slamming it in your face... after you kill the Mantis Lords.

IIRC the Mantis Lords just have "one guy fights you" and then "two guys fight you." (Is this really a spoiler?) It's neat how everyone's experiences with boss fights different; as long as you have a dash I've found the Mantis Lords incredibly easy in both of my playthroughs, but the re-worked Nosk kicked my rear end around the room until I found a mostly-safe place to stand. My first time through I had no problems with either Hornet fight and my second time through the second fight took me a lot of tries.

I went in there with the dark dash and quick focus, so they were pretty much a piece cake all though it took me three tries still.

I think boss difficulty varies wildly on when you run into the fight, and what your personal weaknesses are. I think most of them have felt pretty much where I would want them to be. Like, Flukemarm is a nightmare if you go too early, but I came back more powered up and it dropped like a sack of potatoes in seconds. Nosk I just found a safe place to stand right after the fight started which game me plenty of time to heal and get a few hits in.

The only one I have been really drat stuck on, and still haven't beat is Crystal Guardian 2 which people have told me is the "easiest boss in the game" I think he's a loving nightmare. I have so much poo poo now I could probably go back and kill him pretty easy though, but I was at about 100 attempts when I gave up.