Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm trying to think of all the prog bands that use, or have used, flute.

Jethro Tull
Genesis
King Crimson (on the first album, at least)
Camel

I have a sneaking suspicion that Moody Blues and/or Soft Machine have as well, but I can't prove it.

Shadow Gallery used flute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Just finished The Show That Never Ends: The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock by David Weigel. Loved it from start to finish and it did a pretty great job of covering things. That said, I’d like something with more of a focus on Fripp (though this heavily covered him, it skipped the Red years and breezes through the 80s), and Genesis (which it didn’t really get in depth enough with and mostly covered Foxtrot and Lamb, with nothing in between.) Any recommendations?

It did finally get me to check out Marillion and he wasn’t kidding about Fish era Marillion being Genesis worship. Fish sounds so much like Gabriel it’s uncanny.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

BigFactory posted:

None of those guys made a record as good as power windows so whatever

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
2 hours to Anderson Rabin Wakeman, and two days to King Crimson's F&F show in Poznán. Woo :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Cymbal Monkey posted:

They're implying they're up for a tour if someone wants to kick them $8500 (check the top reward tier). If I had $8500 in savings I'm not gonna lie there's a good chance I'd blow it on making a tour happen because I'm dying to see this band.

to be fair $8500 seems quite cheap

this record is gonna rule by the way

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm trying to think of all the prog bands that use, or have used, flute.

Steve Unruh deserves far more attention than he gets -- accomplished flautist & violinist, capable on all the other instruments as well, decent singer and excellent lyricist. Quite possibly my favorite set of compositional sensibilities when left to his own devices.

That track's by no means a highlight, it's just the first one that comes to mind.

Dishwasher posted:

:siren:This is not a drill:siren:

Phideaux has an EP out with material from Infernal dropping May 23rd. Infernal due out late-July to early-August.

FIN-A-LLY

I check up on Infernal once or twice a year. I haven't adjusted to the fact that Snowtorch is now 7 years old. That means I am also old.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Just back from Crimson in Poznán tonight. First time for me to hear them play Breathless and Discipline...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm so thrilled they're playing Breathless live now. I've always thought of it as a superior alternate version of Red.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Well I started a kickstarter for my CD / vinyl release of Drakus. This is more of a hail mary shot in the dark than anything because I know I'm a nobody who made an album in his bedroom asking for handouts so the odds of me reaching my goal are next to nil. My original intention was to just pay off my debts and save up for a physical release a few years down the line. But hey if I'm lucky and can get the funding for it now it'd be really cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/35453343/drakus-vinyl-and-cd-release

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

RF posted that due to Brexit, possible Visa issues and new tax rules, Crimson is cancelling their planned 2019 Europe tour, and will look elsewhere.

Sigh.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

New echolyn album, no review yet

https://echolyn.bandcamp.com/album/and-every-blossom

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Oh my.... :gizz:

However, I was a little underwhelmed by the last one. I'll chime in with thoughts later since no one else has.

Edit:

Ah that's just their old EP. Its a quality release tho and you all should listen to it if you haven't, as well as the rest of their stuff.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 22, 2018

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yeah it's not new but it's still very good. "Bright Sides" is such a great track. I like the band's folksy side.

I thought their last album was pretty ace. not quite as good as the 2012 s/t but I personally think that's one of the greatest albums ever made so not really a fair comparison.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

yeah it's not new but it's still very good. "Bright Sides" is such a great track. I like the band's folksy side.

I thought their last album was pretty ace. not quite as good as the 2012 s/t but I personally think that's one of the greatest albums ever made so not really a fair comparison.

Bandcamp sent me a damned email saying:

quote:

Greetings (Rust Martialis),
Echolyn just released ...and Every Blossom, check it out here.

Enjoy!

bandcamp logo

grrrrr

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Dishwasher posted:

Oh my.... :gizz:

However, I was a little underwhelmed by the last one. I'll chime in with thoughts later since no one else has.

Edit:

Ah that's just their old EP. Its a quality release tho and you all should listen to it if you haven't, as well as the rest of their stuff.

Yea, I was really excited for this as the last few albums have been my poo poo.This was a bit of a dissapointment.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

That's mostly what it was for me. s/t was basically Echolyn in its perfect form, but 'I Heard You Listening' is pretty excellent.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Paladinus posted:

You know, I've played many JRPGS as a child, and later listened to a lot of prog, but never could put two and two together before now. It's so obvious looking back at some of those OSTs, too. :doh:

I think playing SNES Japanese games as a kid was one of the most important environmental causes of my love of metal and prog. God bless the Japanese composers making that stuff.

On another note, I am glad I let myself be convinced to check out Theocracy (they're kind of power/prog but I'll post about them here for fear of being laughed out of the metal thread). I heard Christian metal and was sceptical - not that Christians who happen to make metal can't be good musicians, but I was suspicious of a band who played music about Christianity. They're loving good! Except maybe the self-titled album, it's all really solid stuff... And the lyrics are even quite a bit less silly than a lot of metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4H4j83FikM

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There are some nice Christian bands. My favourites are probably Tourniquet and Glass Hammer. The former is thrashy, and the latter is just more classic prog rock. I'm on my phone, but you can check Tourniquet's Where Moth and Rust Destroy and Glass Hammer's Chronometree. Very solid prog albums.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also Neal Morse.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Paladinus posted:

There are some nice Christian bands. My favourites are probably Tourniquet and Glass Hammer. The former is thrashy, and the latter is just more classic prog rock. I'm on my phone, but you can check Tourniquet's Where Moth and Rust Destroy and Glass Hammer's Chronometree. Very solid prog albums.

These are good, thanks. Tourniquet has some excellent riffs.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I just saw Bent Knee last night and it was a good show but they'd had some problems. Their drummer broke his leg last week and the band they were touring with (Gatherers) drummer did his best to learn their whole set in that time. Because of a late start and problems with the PA, the gig was pretty short, but what they did play was ace. No Eve or Commercial or Councillor though.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also for Christian stuff you can check out my own kinda-prog album: https://ledbytheshepherd.bandcamp.com/releases

Although I must shamefully admit that there are only 4 bars of 7/8 on the whole thing. I did manage to insert a whole-tone chord sequence in one of the songs, though! (Bb7b5 -> C7b5 -> D7b5 -> E)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Also Believer, Trouble, Incubus (not that one) and Paramaecium. None of them are prog though, though Believer can get pretty left field.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Steven Wilson Yes remixes:

The Yes Album: 👎
Fragile: 👍👍
Close to the Edge: 👎
Tales from Topographic Oceans: 👍
Relayer: 👍👍

Highlights for me: the short interstitial tracks like "The Fish" on Fragile got a lot more interesting, and "Cans and Brahms" is no longer something that sounds so campy I reflexively skip it. "Sound Chaser" is the highlight of the Relayer remix (of course), and the middle section picks up a sense of drama that was totally missing in the original mix and subsequent remasters. The stuff where Howe is playing with feedback sounds amazing, of course; making that sound great has been Wilson's bread and butter since the psych era of Porcupine Tree almost 30 years ago. If I had one real complaint, it's that he reshaped the bass sound towards the end of the song so excessively that it sounds like Tony Levin with early '80s KC rather than Chris Squire. It doesn't sound bad, exactly, and the rest of the album doesn't have this misfeature.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vulture Culture posted:

I had no idea this was a thing until now. You're right, "Cans and Brahms" is actually listenable now which is a Herculean achievement in and of itself.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Vulture Culture posted:

The Yes Album: 👎
Fragile: 👍👍
Close to the Edge: 👎
Tales from Topographic Oceans: 👍
Relayer: 👍👍

Highlights for me: the short interstitial tracks like "The Fish" on Fragile got a lot more interesting, and "Cans and Brahms" is no longer something that sounds so campy I reflexively skip it. "Sound Chaser" is the highlight of the Relayer remix (of course), and the middle section picks up a sense of drama that was totally missing in the original mix and subsequent remasters. The stuff where Howe is playing with feedback sounds amazing, of course; making that sound great has been Wilson's bread and butter since the psych era of Porcupine Tree almost 30 years ago. If I had one real complaint, it's that he reshaped the bass sound towards the end of the song so excessively that it sounds like Tony Levin with early '80s KC rather than Chris Squire. It doesn't sound bad, exactly, and the rest of the album doesn't have this misfeature.

Only thing I didn't like about Wilson's Relayer remix was that he took out the battle sound effects in Gates of Delirium. I know Howe hated those sound effects and was against putting them on the album from the get go, but Anderson wanted them in and he had veto power on the initial release. Now it looks like Howe ultimately got his way on the new remix since Anderson was no longer in the band ... but I feel like those sounds added to the picture they were painting with the song and it just doesn't sound right to me now that they're gone. I really do like the studio version of Clap though and I'm glad Howe got that change in.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 4, 2018

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Koenjihyakkei's Dhorimviskha has landed and it's glorious.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Home from a week in Italy - saw Crimson play 2 nights in the Pompeii Amphitheater then 2 nights in Rome. Glorious. Finally got to shake Robert's hand. I'm tripping.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Gah, fell into a youtube wormhole, came up mentally stuck on To Our Children's Children's Children. Its like being in the back seat of the Duster listening to dad's 8-track again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db2s_KTSKEI

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 31, 2018

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Always loved that album. It may be my favorite MB album. All seven albums they released between Days of Future Passed and Seventh Sojourn were great, but I think the middle trilogy of Threshold/Children/Question maybe their best work.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 31, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Gianthogweed posted:

Always loved that album. It may be my favorite MB album. All seven albums they released between Days of Future Passed and Seventh Sojourn were great, but I think the middle trilogy of Threshold/Children/Question maybe their best work.

:agreed:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I revisited Porcupine Tree's the Incident and that album was a joy to relisten. Might be my favourite album of 2009. I don't like how that album opens but once it gets going it's sick.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I never gave it a fair shake ( Maitland era was best ) but Bonnie the Cat is fun to listen to and Flicker is one of their best tunes period, up there with Dark Matter.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, it's best if you just skip past Drawing the Line and start there. That whole constellation of thematically-related songs around Octane Twisted owns

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

He's really shat on any idea of a PT reunion, hasn't he.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

He's really shat on any idea of a PT reunion, hasn't he.
Yeah, he's just not interested. He seems to still be cool with the guys; he brought Richard Barbieri out on the European leg of one of his recent tours.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

It really is a shame. I'm not a fan of Wilson's solo efforts at all. Good for him for gaining appeal and being successful with it tho.

Phideaux's Infernal drops on September 9th. Now "that" has been in the oven a long rear end time.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Yeah it sucks PT isn't happening since The Incident was decent and Fear Of A Blank Planet was incredible, easily the best SW album in my opinion (although a lot of PT is up there)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

How is his live show?

I'm a passing newbie PT fan (I really like that stuff on Staircase Infinities though), but really haven't dug in to the solo work. I listened to his latest a few times, but nothing really grabbed me. He's playing here in December, and I might go because my brother is a huge nerd for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

hatelull posted:

How is his live show?

I'm a passing newbie PT fan (I really like that stuff on Staircase Infinities though), but really haven't dug in to the solo work. I listened to his latest a few times, but nothing really grabbed me. He's playing here in December, and I might go because my brother is a huge nerd for him.
He's always put on a phenomenal show with great visuals, so I'd definitely go if the tickets aren't too expensive. You'll probably walk out being a bigger fan of the music than you walked in (which is what happened to me with Porcupine Tree's post-In Absentia output).