Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Walton Simons posted:

It probably actually is, I just took my assman's advice, we're now mauling the league leaders away from home, we've had 3 clear cut chances to 1 half chance but unfortunately are only 1-0 up.

I know what's coming.

e: Went 2-0 up, had man sent off, went down to 2-2, had another man sent off, conceded again, ragequit. I think I've hit every classic FM trope in the 8 league games I've played. I'll go back and take the loss eventually but I've really not enjoyed this save other than transfer market stuff.

I can't manage big sides for some reason, I've taken conference clubs to European trophies and stuff but if I take over a big side I tend to fail terribly.

It's easier to overperform as weaker sides. When you're the underdog the opposition will usually play suicidal football in dumbshit formations so any sensible system can nick enough results, but the minute they think you're the better side you have to work out how to reliably break down two cautious banks of four and your worldbeaters end up looking like sunday league scrubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Walton Simons posted:

It probably actually is, I just took my assman's advice, we're now mauling the league leaders away from home, we've had 3 clear cut chances to 1 half chance but unfortunately are only 1-0 up.

I know what's coming.

e: Went 2-0 up, had man sent off, went down to 2-2, had another man sent off, conceded again, ragequit. I think I've hit every classic FM trope in the 8 league games I've played. I'll go back and take the loss eventually but I've really not enjoyed this save other than transfer market stuff.

I can't manage big sides for some reason, I've taken conference clubs to European trophies and stuff but if I take over a big side I tend to fail terribly.

Remember when I got fired from Newcastle before Christmas trying to use your ridiculous pro evolution tactic with an old as balls Sol Campbell at centre back?

Good times.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I almost relegated Arsenal in the second season managing them and than took Millwall to the Prem AMA

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Just picked up 18 (last version was the free copy of 11 they gave out when FM:online failed lol). So far I've gotten bounced from the u-23 Asian Nations Cup as Australia....by Syria. Game working as intended.

Eta: this was after spending a week trying to get the game to save before I learned about the controller bug in steam. SI is magical.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I almost relegated Arsenal in the second season managing them and than took Millwall to the Prem AMA

Are your team talks just “gently caress them, we’re Millwall”?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Bobby Digital posted:

Are your team talks just “gently caress them, we’re Millwall”?

My team talks and press interviews consist of a steady steam of explitives and I poo poo talk other managers and teams constantly. I also handle my players very harshly and basically don't talk to anyone unless they're in the final year of their contract. If I like you though you don't get to the final year of your contract. I basically tell players theyre pussys and under contract and to get on playing the sport i pay them money to play.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Waroduce posted:

My team talks and press interviews consist of a steady steam of explitives and I poo poo talk other managers and teams constantly. I also handle my players very harshly and basically don't talk to anyone unless they're in the final year of their contract. If I like you though you don't get to the final year of your contract. I basically tell players theyre pussys and under contract and to get on playing the sport i pay them money to play.

can't imagine how that could have gone wrong at Arsenal

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Eric the Mauve posted:

can't imagine how that could have gone wrong at Arsenal

That's basically my approach at Arsenal.

Then again my other approach is to just buy all the best young players I can find and sell the old weak players off as soon as I can. I'm not happy until my entire squad are regens.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Were there still sweepers in FM18?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The position still exists but I think there were like 2 players in the entire game who had it as a competent position

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
First FM19 new feature: The sweeper position doesn't exist any more.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I've played against teams that run a 532 sweeper formation. It's rare but it does happen.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sassassin posted:

First FM19 new feature: The sweeper position doesn't exist any more.

There will also be a bug where all regens end up being proficient in nothing but the Sweeper position, which will still exist in their stats for some reason.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I got the latest version of FM having not played since about 2014, and even then I'm doing better now than I was then. I'm with the lowest league in England, Something North. In my first season I made the playoffs, I'm on course for promotion this year if I can get past the new year slump. However I'm having difficulties with team building.

I bought in a load of young player free agents and wanted to build them up. Now I'm caught between them all pulling at me. If they're any good they demand first team football, and when they don't get it they want to be sold. If I want to keep and they're any good they demand a huge amount after getting some first team starts, but I feel I have to give good young players first team starts as otherwise they won't develop in a semi-pro team at the lowest level. They're not full time, so they won't train as much. And because we're the lowest league it means no-one wants to take my lower ability guys on a loan to develop them, and then, even if they're an ok starter for me and want to be sold literally no-one is buying. The combined transfer spend for my league was all teams in total earning €10k or so between them.

I'd like to build the team up, especially with young players I found, but between no-one loaning them, no-one buying them to fund me, not being able to develop their attributes fast enough, and the inability for me to develop them myself without them all getting pissy I'm a bit stumped.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean, yeah, that is what managing a low league semi-pro team is like. You can pretty much never keep good players ever and your employer is constantly struggling to remain in existence.

If you stay in your job a few years you start to get to a point where you can keep your own regens longer because they like you more--but at lower leagues even that effect is pretty small because they want to move to a better league ASAP and any bigger club that wants your best player to sit on its bench picking splinters out of his rear end as a just-in-case third string backup option can provoke him to demand you sell him just by casually mentioning it to the press.

Some people enjoy the challenge. Most people don't and choose to start in a top league. What you describe is basically the LLM experience, so if you're not enjoying it, by all means just start over with a bigger team. My own experience is limited, but it seems like you have to be patient when doing LLM and move slowly, and getting promoted before your team is ready to stick in the higher division can be a disaster.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I enjoy the experience. Especially how having a solid tactic can get you good wins against better teams in the league who have much better players.

And it's not so much that other teams are buying my players, it's that my players want contracts far beyond what I can afford and even what they deserve. If bigger teams wanted my players at least I might have money from their sale to secure players at a good wage. The other thing I'd like is the ability to offer longer contracts. At the moment I can only get a season and a half guaranteed for a player at their wage because it seems the board won't let me sign anyone for longer. I've had to give short contracts to some players knowing in a year they'll want bigger contracts. I'm going to hold out to the end of the season for a few rotation/backup players with good potential and see if the one month between when the season ends and their contract ends allows me to sign them for two years instead of one.

The big thing is selling players. If there anyone was willing to buy I'd at least have some cash (although my FA cup run did me good with some TV money before the big teams entered.) The one time a team a few leagues up showed any interest in a player I whacked an asking price of four times his 12k value on him and they dropping their interest without even offering me anything, which was a mistake by me. But I learned.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Mrenda posted:

LLM woes

I almost always play LLM games. I'm currently sitting at the bottom end of League Two with Blyth Spartans, which took me six seasons from Vanarama North. Not too happy with how long it's taken but we'll see.

Here's some useful things I picked up for 18, in case you haven't thought of these yet:

-Go mad with trials. Once they leave after a week you'll have perfect knowledge of them. Never waste your limited scout availability on an unattached player.
- Any parent team will be worth your while. Loan their worst youth players, who will still be at your level, and snap them up permanently a year or two down the line when their parent releases them on frees.
- Arranging lucrative friendlies in preseason (hell, during less busy weeks of the season if you can) will drag in a bit of cash.
-Back to back promotions is disasterous and should be avoided.
- With the Vanarama North title under your belt you might be able to step into international youth team management for a weaker nation: I'm managing Canada u23s on the side and using that knowledge to snap up Canadians with EU nationality from their surprisingly good amateur leagues.

Basically the tough thing is finding good talent, so anything that lets you know of more players is good.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Obliterati posted:

- With the Vanarama North title under your belt you might be able to step into international youth team management for a weaker nation: I'm managing Canada u23s on the side and using that knowledge to snap up Canadians with EU nationality from their surprisingly good amateur leagues.

I had no idea you could manage u23 sides, this is a game changer.

I'm a billion years into my current save atm where I've won everything ever for years in a row with Tottenham and have now joined Sunderland who are in the Vanarama National with 15 million of debt, I've truly chosen the hardest of modes.

Also speaking of sweepers earlier, post your favourite weird match ups

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

eleven extra elephants posted:

I had no idea you could manage u23 sides, this is a game changer.

I'm a billion years into my current save atm where I've won everything ever for years in a row with Tottenham and have now joined Sunderland who are in the Vanarama National with 15 million of debt, I've truly chosen the hardest of modes.

Also speaking of sweepers earlier, post your favourite weird match ups

These are the most insane formations I've ever seen

I'm gonna be mad as hell if the sweeper position not existing means that the Libero role doesn't exist anymore

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I assume the sweeper roles are going to get folded into the standard cb positions. Hopefully they're reworking them so that Cover duty actually sweeps and ball-players can carry into midfield (and have a few shots).

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I won promotion to the Vanarama National League with good tactics getting me wins against better teams. Now, even with good tactics my players are so far behind in ability they can't perform against even better teams. Comparing stats between me and them even the best players I got in to become key players for my team are worse than the squad players on the other teams.

Our goal is to avoid relegation but with now wins in five games, plus having a horrific schedule in terms of playing against the best teams all in a row I've a feeling I'm going to get fired. gently caress promotion.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Are formations with 3 AMCs broken? I've started doing a lot better with a 4-1-2-3-0.

Instructions are Play Slightly Narrower, Retain Possession, Close Down More.

Destroyed a full-strength Liverpool (I'm in my second season with Arsenal - 2018/2019) 3-0, with Reine-Adelaide and Malcolm as my SSs, and Iwobi as my AP. I then turned around and nearly lost to Sporting in the CL, barely winning 2-1 :shrug:. May have had something to do with Sporting playing Defensive with a 4-2DM-2-2, but I couldn't be bothered.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Obliterati posted:

I almost always play LLM games. I'm currently sitting at the bottom end of League Two with Blyth Spartans, which took me six seasons from Vanarama North. Not too happy with how long it's taken but we'll see.

Here's some useful things I picked up for 18, in case you haven't thought of these yet:

-Go mad with trials. Once they leave after a week you'll have perfect knowledge of them. Never waste your limited scout availability on an unattached player.
- Any parent team will be worth your while. Loan their worst youth players, who will still be at your level, and snap them up permanently a year or two down the line when their parent releases them on frees.
- Arranging lucrative friendlies in preseason (hell, during less busy weeks of the season if you can) will drag in a bit of cash.
-Back to back promotions is disasterous and should be avoided.

Basically the tough thing is finding good talent, so anything that lets you know of more players is good.

I also love the challenge in starting off in the lowest of the low British leagues. (Weston super Mare and Bath are my poisons of choice.) And I beeline for the Canadian job, because I'm Canadian, and legit have an inkling of who is decent, and an undue sense of national pride.

My question to you is:

How do you get past the work permits? Without fail, I am always told they are being denied a work permit. I appeal, and still no go. I've even hired guys who playing in the Vanarama leagues the year before, only to have their permit expire, and have them sent back to their home country.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You don’t, the work permit system is desiged to gently caress everyone else for the benefit of the megabastards.

Far as I know the only thing you can do is start a new game unemployed, simulate until Brexit, and if it’s a hard Brexit start over. Once you get a soft Brexit (English teams get X foreign players per squad) save, back up the save file so yoo can re-use it next time, then give yourself whichever job you want.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

NutShellBill posted:

I also love the challenge in starting off in the lowest of the low British leagues. (Weston super Mare and Bath are my poisons of choice.) And I beeline for the Canadian job, because I'm Canadian, and legit have an inkling of who is decent, and an undue sense of national pride.

My question to you is:

How do you get past the work permits? Without fail, I am always told they are being denied a work permit. I appeal, and still no go. I've even hired guys who playing in the Vanarama leagues the year before, only to have their permit expire, and have them sent back to their home country.

I don't know about this year, but in 2017 signing anyone from abroad post brexit was near impossible (I think the severity of the Brexit was somewhat random). Easy (albeit slightly cheating) way around it is to buy the editor and give the player English as a second nationality. Think it's around €5.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The anti-Brexit mod was a must.

Work permits in the lower leagues aren't something you can work around.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mickolution posted:

I don't know about this year, but in 2017 signing anyone from abroad post brexit was near impossible (I think the severity of the Brexit was somewhat random). Easy (albeit slightly cheating) way around it is to buy the editor and give the player English as a second nationality. Think it's around €5.

This is an option but it’s super cheaty to give yourself access to players your competitors in lower leagues (or even fellow non-megabastards in the EPL) can’t access. By all means play the game you bought in whatever way you enjoy most, but if you’re going to do that you might as well just use the editor to jack up the CA/PA of your own players.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
as I understand it the way the game works is sort of fundamentally broken when it comes to lower leagues in england. I cannot say if this represents what is actually happening in post-brexit england.

In any case lower leagues in italy are the best

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Are there any decent guides for messing around with the editor and saves? Even changing the priorities managers give to things? I'm guessing it's a black box that involves a whole load of dark magic, but I figured I'd take a look if I could.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Mrenda posted:

Are there any decent guides for messing around with the editor and saves? Even changing the priorities managers give to things? I'm guessing it's a black box that involves a whole load of dark magic, but I figured I'd take a look if I could.

I don't know, but for anyone interested this guy does some fun experiments on YouTube with the editor. He's created the perfect player, put a transfer ban on the top leagues and the like. They're fairly nerdy, but I've enjoyed some of them.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Finding out that professional players play this game will always be the weirdest thing to me.

https://twitter.com/equipedefrance/status/1016062318873112577

https://youtu.be/8ySI_aMLLDY?t=2m36s
https://youtu.be/h9VG4oXz1VI?t=4m10s

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OK dumb question time, is there any way to stop the idiot data analysts from spamming my scouting inbox with dumbass "we should have a scout look into this world famous wonderkid that belongs to a megabastard and wouldn't actually join us at gunpoint even if we could afford him, which we can't!" emails that I have to waste time deleting

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

OK dumb question time, is there any way to stop the idiot data analysts from spamming my scouting inbox with dumbass "we should have a scout look into this world famous wonderkid that belongs to a megabastard and wouldn't actually join us at gunpoint even if we could afford him, which we can't!" emails that I have to waste time deleting

Other than asking SI to change it, not that I can tell.

I'm not sure what the point is of having the Long-Term focus set to 'Youth' is if the Data Analysts are going to keep recommending 28-year olds on 5-year contracts who'd cost £150m.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played some hours and I think I like this version. In not sure if it is *insert all time year* good where I will play 400 hours but it doesn't seem horribly broken like that year where crossing was broken and fullbacks couldn't defend.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Played some hours and I think I like this version. In not sure if it is *insert all time year* good where I will play 400 hours but it doesn't seem horribly broken like that year where crossing was broken and fullbacks couldn't defend.

Crossing is broken and full-backs can't defend
If you play 442 like a pro, anyway

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just picked up the Switch version of this game. I’ve played some “light” football management games but nothing nearly this detailed. It’s pretty fun, although I’m finding myself bewildered by the sheer breadth of data and settings, and this early in my save I’m still just kind of doing “whatever” tactically and seeing how it works out. I started as the Chicago Fire and it turns out that teams from countries that don’t give a poo poo about soccer don’t have much money to throw around. Also the board keeps saying they disapprove of my signing a guy who’s ended up being one of my best scorers so they can go gently caress themselves.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Weedle posted:

Also the board keeps saying they disapprove of my signing a guy who’s ended up being one of my best scorers so they can go gently caress themselves.

This will always be a thing. One summer I picked up a ridiculous 20 year old Northern Irish regen striker for under a million and heard he was a bad signing until the turn of the year when he had something like 15 in 17.

Meanwhile, I also sold an aging striker for an at-the-time club record fee because he wanted ridiculous wages. He went to Atleti and was poo poo, and the board kept insisting it was a bad sale.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read The Mixer and now I wanna go back and tinker with my heretofore perfectly good tactics. Lmao.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What can I do about my lovely goalkeepers? I have two guys, both with two-star ratings, and I’ve been scouting the hell out of GKs from other clubs but they’re all either equally lovely or far too expensive, and my assistant says that neither of my current guys are showing much improvement in training. Am I doomed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I assume you’re not a megabastard since “too expensive” is a thing for you, so have you looked for a loaner? Megabastards often have spare keepers out for loan, sometimes pretty good ones and sometimes you don’t even have to pay for them. A loaner can tide you over until you get a real keeper of your own.

Your in-house 2 star keeper is probably fine for now though if he’s big and has high Communication