Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Scruffpuff posted:

I don't think anything is that complicated. They don't want to share a roadmap because they don't have one. They don't have one because they don't know what they're doing, or where they're going. They don't know what game they're making, what to prioritize, what to even work on - hell, they still don't really know where to start. Everything they've done is raw sewage, nothing works, nothing can be built on, and there's an idiot at the helm. What exactly would be on the roadmap?

Look at the "roadmaps" they've released so far, all of them in response to people asking for one and the fact that real games have one. Every one of them was designed ad-hoc, none of them resemble each other, or have the same trackable items. They were props for ATV and nothing else.

Even CIG's "roadmaps" are nothing more than JPEGs.

Oh we are in total agreement there. I don't know why my post came across as I'm describing something complicated, because I'm basically thinking the same thing you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

they're not embedded unless you turn that feature on somehow, so that's on you

why the gently caress would you have embedded videos turned on anyway?

because it's a convenient feature to have, so long as people aren't posting hundreds of videos at a time?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lack of Gravitas posted:

because it's a convenient feature to have, so long as people aren't posting hundreds of videos at a time?

Yeah this. Just post urls instead of a hundred videos

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

big nipples big life posted:

Yeah this. Just post urls instead of a hundred videos

he did, they're just urls...again the thing you're complaining about is the 'feature' you could just turn off.

e- out of curiosity where is the on/off switch for this because I couldnt find it in the control panel.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Chris has already done the whole mea culpa thing, with the whole video of them saying they were two weeks away from finishing.
At this point you're an enabler if you're actively giving that sharkskin brain any more money.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

please stop quoting the 300 loving embedded videos post

im sorry :ohdear:

the post looks like this for me. im going to reformat it so those links are url links instead of video links

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Morphix posted:

he did, they're just urls...again the thing you're complaining about is the 'feature' you could just turn off.

e- out of curiosity where is the on/off switch for this because I couldnt find it in the control panel.

The post has them in video tags, which embed. If you use actual url tags they don't.

code:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbgnFxJ5dE[/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbgnFxJ5dE

code:
[video type="youtube"]rrbgnFxJ5dE[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbgnFxJ5dE

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Daztek posted:

The post has them in video tags, which embed. If you use actual url tags they don't.

oh you're right, I went to quote it of curiosity and that's a whole love of video types. I wonder why it doesn't show up as embedded videos for me and just links though.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morphix posted:

Curiosity is contagious :)

User Control Panel > Edit Options > Thread View Options > Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag? [y/n]

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Morphix posted:

oh you're right, I went to quote it of curiosity and that's a whole love of video types. I wonder why it doesn't show up as embedded videos for me and just links though.

Because you have a shark skin brain.
So do I apparently.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AbstractNapper posted:

Oh we are in total agreement there. I don't know why my post came across as I'm describing something complicated, because I'm basically thinking the same thing you do.

I was focused mostly on this line:

quote:

I mean what I understand filtering out him talking nonsense (which is almost all of it) is that there is no roadmap to share because there are dependencies on Star Citizen / Star Engine features and those keep getting delayed.

Which in retrospect I think I misunderstood the first time I read it.

That said, even the dependencies you reference don't exist. An easy mistake to make, because we make it even in this thread, is to think of CIG as a game development studio. It's so easy to start with that assumption, but when we then say something like "there are dependencies on..." we have to stop ourselves and realize there are no dependencies. Because there is no code. CIG is still making ad-hoc one-off model viewers. This one is called "The PTU" and it lets you move the camera around in a near no-clip state with the picture of a ship glued to it and a picture of a spaceman glued to the chair. "Squadron 42" is a bunch of motion-captured bullshit in boring hallways using a completely different set of code that has never, and will never, integrate with the "PTU" in any way despite promises to the contrary, because neither the PTU nor SQ42 exist in a consistent state.

They're approximations of games, using the same tricks Hollywood uses when they need to show a video game in a TV show but can't afford the license for a real one.

Once this thing collapses and ex-employees start talking we're gonna really hear some good poo poo.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dark Off posted:

Great post i too noticed those same things.
Timestamps for various stuff waiting for transcription.
https://youtu.be/AMPTD3Dr4gE?t=476 500 ppl working on sc and 4.5 studios
they are still fixing ifcs even when they fire the guy that build that system
ui still needs work, but its a longer term thing (remember when CR played star citizen

in landos opinion this is not CIG's shill sphere talking.
they have only time and resources to focus on 10 different things in a company of 500
there was not enough game before 3.0
CR admits that they are idiots
star citizen is bit of mess currently
tale of two cities take on criticism
they cant keep on switching context, it drives developers crazy
power of pc's
object container streaming is a must for 3.3 they are capped at memory currently and cant add more stuff to game at the moment
CR explaining memory
without object container streaming they cant deliver more contend
3.3 is bigger than 3.0. And they are preparing to drop stuff out of 3.3
idris, Idris still missing the missile room (for over a year now see my idris post timestamp for previous idris explanation)
its not only OCS that they need.for capital ships. They also need to figure out how to LOD them properly
once stanton is finished the development speed will ramp up
they dont have enough tool ppl currently
all 4 moons done in a month
fps AI also issue with squadron 42
they have 3 AI programmers in dev team of 500
companion AI pushed to next year
sq42 roadmap talk
sq42 is too big and ambitious, there is regret over it.
CR talking about being optimist
sq42 wont be this year
Atv changes. Not set in stone they dont know what they are doing yet, but they will change things. (most likely cutting atv length.)
they have opened up general video production company and are currently in process of hiring ppl for it. The goal is to improve the quality of atv's

i think somethingjones will finish transcribing these in 2 weeks :ohdear:

fixed it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

please stop quoting the 300 loving embedded videos post

If you have a 780 Ti, you be fine

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hello there!

and here is another longtime lurker revealing himself.
i thought the 10$ are worth it for all the entertainment that this thread gave me for years now.
possibly that will be the only post i will ever do, but hey come on: what are 10$ compared to a legatus pack? :)

i would like to tell you my story from when star citizen was anounced till now.

so what was my situation when CR announced SC? let me think.
- i worked for another company
- i was mentally pretty unstable...
- i lived in another city
- a was into a different girl than today

so what happened since then?
- i quit my job in project management (burned out)
- i went to hospital because of my mental illness and it helped
- i met the "girl of my life", she was very much into me also, but eventually she left me for another guy
- i moved to a different city and started another job in "tech support"

my life was full of ups and downs those years (your standard rollercoaster ride i guess)
but there was on constant source of entertainment, hopes and finally lots of giggles and laughter!

STAR CITIZEN! (and all the drama, banter, gossip, love, hate, confusion, pride, etc. that comes with it)
at the start i had a very positive attitude towards the game.
it seemed like a great idea (but i never spend a dime).
slowly all that turned into just a source of daily entertainement.
and thats where we are now: SC, the SA forums, the frontier forum ans reddit are what i would call my daily soap opera.

and it really is. 24h hours produce just the amount of content for me to enjoy every evening.

for this i would like to post a big THANK YOU to everyone who contributes to this clusterfuck :)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I sort of wonder if we should get the r/sc mods to ban more dissenters so they come here and give lowtax :10bux:. Seems like a huge windfall to me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

welcome

can I interest you in my Star Citizen© Persistent Universe® Spectrum Referral Code?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

space-X-chicken posted:

hello there!

i thought the 10$ are worth it for all the entertainment that this thread gave me for years now.
possibly that will be the only post i will ever do, but hey come on: what are 10$ compared to a legatus pack? :)

- i met the "girl of my life", she was very much into me also, but eventually she left me for another guy

my life was full of ups and downs those years (your standard rollercoaster ride i guess)
but there was on constant source of entertainment, hopes and finally lots of giggles and laughter!

STAR CITIZEN! (and all the drama, banter, gossip, love, hate, confusion, pride, etc. that comes with it)
and thats where we are now: SC, the SA forums, the frontier forum ans reddit are what i would call my daily soap opera.

and it really is. 24h hours produce just the amount of content for me to enjoy every evening.

for this i would like to post a big THANK YOU to everyone who contributes to this clusterfuck :)

Welcome to the viewing party for the trainwreck we call star citizen.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

space-X-chicken posted:

hello there!

Hi Spacecrabs.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

how, how, how?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Curiosity is contagious :)

User Control Panel > Edit Options > Thread View Options > Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag? [y/n]

cheers

Lladre posted:

Because you have a shark skin brain.
So do I apparently.

i find the smoother my brain, the fasterer my thinking is

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Welcome Cymelion Commando o9

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

colonelwest posted:

I finally got to watch all of the recent ATV, and it was some quality entertainment. It was shockingly bad even by CIG standards, but also strangely the most honest I've ever seen Chris. I think we are reaching a threshold were the constant cavalcade of broken promises, failure and sleazy marketing coming out of CIG are finally taking their inevitable toll on a large portion of the remaining backers. The wider game community has written off SC as vaporware and/or a laughable scam, and even Spectrum and the SC subreddit contain unprecedented levels of negativity. It seems like Chris is finally starting to realize this, though of course he will never take responsibility for it and "absolve" himself by claiming to be too optimistic and too visionary for us plebes to understand.

Some thoughts I had while watching...

1.) Lando is the most awkward and insecure person you could possibly have as the face of your project. His feeble attempts to make up for his insecurities just make him even more insufferable, especially in 'Calling All Devs" . But, in front of his lord and savior Chris, he turns into little more than a squirming sycophant. A sad failure of a man, scrounging for meaning and self-worth, desperate to bask in the glory of talented people making the ultimate video game; which is all of course a complete sham. Like the most zealous backers, he has invested so much of his own ego into Store Citizen that he will never be able to admit that its a failure.

https://youtu.be/AMPTD3Dr4gE?t=55m46s

Once Chris finishes his rambling diatribe on how us mere mortals can't understand his vision of game development, Lando gasps orgasmically, barely managing a sheepish "I adore you sometimes..." over his own ragged breathing and thumping heart. It's the funniest and saddest thing I've ever seen in SC or in almost any media. It perfectly encapsulates the absurdity of this project.

2.) Chris admits that SQ42 is not coming out this year, which isn't surprising. However, if you read between the lines a little you can see that its still years off, as its progress is tied to the pitiful state of the core technologies and mechanics we see in the PU.

3.) 3.3 (or at least 90% of its planned content) will be heavily delayed because they are nowhere even close to figuring out OCS. Chris was very obviously trying to let people down early on this point, but of course he still described it as some Herculean feat of game development never before attempted; even though every 3D game ever has had to manage how much is rendered around the player character. 3.3 is supposed to include Hurston and the first smatterings of real content in the game, and the backers are still hyping it as the new Jesus patch.

4.) The reveal that CIG has over 500 employees now and is still actively hiring was surprising to me. Aside from the end of refunds, we have no real evidence that they are running out of money yet. It lends credence to what's been discussed on the ARGcast about CIG likely having hundreds of millions in loans and additional private investment.

5.) Chris was visibly nervous throughout, but also the most honest and contrite (by his standards) that I've ever seen him. The enormity of the technical hole his project is in seems to have finally sunk in, after years of people both within and outside of SC trying to tell him this. He also seems to be realizing that SC is hemorrhaging its core fan base (he directly referenced Spectrum and Reddit). He must know that even if he can continue pumping money from the most hopeless whales, the game will eventually need a larger audience to be a viable produc at release.

Er, hi spacecrabs

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

his nibs posted:

how, how, how?

Roberts quest for perfection and fidelity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

colonelwest posted:

Once Chris finishes his rambling diatribe on how us mere mortals can't understand his vision of game development, Lando gasps orgasmically, barely managing a sheepish "I adore you sometimes..." over his own ragged breathing and thumping heart. It's the funniest and saddest thing I've ever seen in SC or in almost any media. It perfectly encapsulates the absurdity of this project.

"that's the Chris that I came to work for!" He says, as though Chris just announced that he'd single-handedly finished coding SC through the night and was going to release all the promised features tomorrow.

Instead, Chris just announced that he's awful at scheduling and planning and can't keep any kind of a promise and is basically a complete failure as a game developer.

And in response to THAT Lando says "I adore you, that's the Chris that I came to work for!"

I don't think he even parsed the words that Chris was saying. He just saw Chris suddenly waxing philosophical and was like :allears: what a dreamboat!

Chris could literally drop his pants and piss on Lando's face and Lando would say "thank you master"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

colonelwest posted:

5.) Chris was visibly nervous throughout, but also the most honest and contrite (by his standards) that I've ever seen him. The enormity of the technical hole his project is in seems to have finally sunk in, after years of people both within and outside of SC trying to tell him this. He also seems to be realizing that SC is hemorrhaging its core fan base (he directly referenced Spectrum and Reddit). He must know that even if he can continue pumping money from the most hopeless whales, the game will eventually need a larger audience to be a viable product at release.

I don't think a big enough point was made about Chris HIMSELF complaining about "FUD". Can you imagine if like, the CEO of Microsoft or Apple or even loving Electronic Arts responded to criticism with "That's just fear, uncertainty, and doubt!"

It boggles the mind.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

space-X-chicken posted:

I'm sure Chris Roberts appreciates it :D

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Next week, on Little Commandos...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sample_text posted:

-Chris Roberts saying on video that "quarterly releases" are a fast, regular turnaround for an AGILE project. OK

Nobody tell him about CICD or he'll have a heart attack

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

colonelwest posted:

SQ42 is still a weird topic to try and wrap my mind around. You would think a relatively on-rails single player game would be much easier to release. There has been an amazing lack of any sort of real information on it (especially in the past 2 years), and a lot of what we do have is just cutscenes.

SQ42 IS a much easier game to release. As much as they're making basically zero progress on SQ42, they're actually making negative progress on SC.

Don't fall for the con that lots of spaceship jpgs means there is progress on Star Citizen. There isn't. Just marketing bullshit.

Neither SQ42 or SC is going anywhere. That's just how incompetent CIG is.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol did they really say SQ42 isn’t coming out this year?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

veiled boner fuel posted:

Its just FUD from the CEO of trash indie game company.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I guess VR is the next big thing, and Star Citizen is lacking there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm2LPywv4OY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also we should point out that Chris' microphone was crackling with static the entire interview.

Continual shitshow production values. The idea of doing a dry run of a interview before you broadcast it to the wide internet is just too much :effort: for CIG

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

veiled boner fuel posted:

Look, making a reskinned update of a twenty-year-old game is a lot harder than anyone imagined, okay?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

welcome

can I interest you in my Star Citizen© Persistent Universe® Spectrum Referral Code?

certainly. i have so much money i just dont know where to put it all! every drawer i open: money! i look under my sofa: money! money is in every nook and crany in my house.
honest answer: yes...but no thank you :)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

"that's the Chris that I came to work for!" He says, as though Chris just announced that he'd single-handedly finished coding SC through the night and was going to release all the promised features tomorrow.

Instead, Chris just announced that he's awful at scheduling and planning and can't keep any kind of a promise and is basically a complete failure as a game developer.

And in response to THAT Lando says "I adore you, that's the Chris that I came to work for!"

I don't think he even parsed the words that Chris was saying. He just saw Chris suddenly waxing philosophical and was like :allears: what a dreamboat!

Chris could literally drop his pants and piss on Lando's face and Lando would say "thank you master"

Someone should take that part and use a backing track to make it sound like an 80s sitcom.

Chris absolving himself of wrongdoing, accompanied by a laugher track.

Lando saying how much he loves Chris and the audience going "awwwww"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
June was an abyssal funding month. No wonder crobbear was sweating like a farm animal.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

June was an abyssal funding month. No wonder crobbear was sweating like a farm animal.

Yup, comparable with Feb. Equal lowest of the year so far.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Agony Aunt posted:

Yup, comparable with Feb. Equal lowest of the year so far.

Folks, I know we hammer Star Citizen a lot, but have you seen the VR backpack PC?