Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Zero VGS posted:

Brightness and contrast will probably be fine, since all WMR headsets besides the Samsung one use IPS panels and those are pretty good displays (if lousy lenses).

I think it was a consistent complaint with all the versions inc. m1 is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For anyone interested who hasn't picked it up yet, Lone Echo is finally on sale for a daily deal at 25% off. I doubt its likely to be on sale again any time soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Guys, guys;

Turns out that drat Detective Phelps was at it again! :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd9Lg-farIw

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tom Guycot posted:

For anyone interested who hasn't picked it up yet, Lone Echo is finally on sale for a daily deal at 25% off. I doubt its likely to be on sale again any time soon.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went ahead and bought X Plane. It's super great to chill out in. I took off in whatever twin engine beechcraft or whatever and turned on a youtube video and just flew around Seattle while watching a video for over an hour.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guys, guys;

The killer app for knuckles.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Um so it looks like Social has finally hit Rift? https://www.oculus.com/blog/july-platform-updates-hang-out-with-friends-in-rift-core-early-social-features-rolling-out-now/

Has anyone tried it? Obviously early implementation but yeah. I don't have time to VR right now.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Looking for a good space flying game while the summer sale is going on. Are there any recommendations?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you're ok with just flying with a real good and fun space flight model, elite. If you're ok with just killing rats in a belt, elite.

If you want an actual game, house of dying sun is a good game and supports VR. :v:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Truga posted:

If you're ok with just flying with a real good and fun space flight model, elite. If you're ok with just killing rats in a belt, elite.

If you want an actual game, house of dying sun is a good game and supports VR. :v:

I've had Elite on my wishlist for a long time. The "mixed" reviews have kept me from buying. Is it a game that I can just pick up and fly around a bit?

Edit: How vomit inducing is it?

UmOk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 1, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Cockpit type games (flying and racing) tend to be fairly low on the vomit scale since your brain isn't really expecting much in the way of "movement feel" when you move your vehicle. You might get a bit of ick-factor if you barrel roll real hard, but you generally won't want to do that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I get zero vomit induction myself, but the only thing in my game library that still gets to me is the tiny turbocharged kart in LFS.

You can pick up the game and play it at any time, but there is a few really dumb design choices:
1. Going anywhere specific takes a fuckload of time because space is big. This gets annoying in VR very quick if you don't have some sort of setup to stream amine onto one of the displays in your cockpit.
2. You'll get up to a few million credits in a couple hours of play maybe, upgrade to an A-rank blinged out eagle, viper, maybe even a vulture a bit later, and after that the only upgrade is big boring ships that cost hundreds of millions to max out, and there's no good way of making billions outside borderline exploits, and even those aren't very quick (and they don't patch very regularly, because otherwise there would be no way to get anything big outside a year long hellgrind). Said giant ships can use space hangars though and the tiny fighters are very fun to play, especially in VR.
3. Further improving your ships requires some extremely specific grinds (see mainly 1, with a bit of 2 at times).

All that said, the flight model is easily one of the best out there, and combat is also good fun for a dozen or three hours of play. If that sounds like a fun time, it's good. If you take the game as no bullshit "fly to nearest belt and kill poo poo" or "space truck simulator", it's worth the cash IMO. If you want more than that, then it's not.

It's also much better with friends, so if you have any friends interested in a spacesim, they can play with you even without VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

It really was a lot of fun. Its short, But I 100% enjoyed it. Very very cool lgame.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Browsing the Steam Sale one last time to see if I want anything I don't have.

How is 'Hover Junkers'? It looks entertaining but half the reviews say it is trash.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Airspace posted:

How is 'Hover Junkers'? It looks entertaining but half the reviews say it is trash.
It was a big deal when it was new, but that was years ago at this point and its a primarily multiplayer game with a totally dead player base.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Airspace posted:

It's completely dead. It was the hot ticket thing when VR first came out and, yeah, it was pretty interesting. But its style of play is outdated now. I guess there is apparently single player now, but I've never tried it. If I could give you my copy, I would. It was a massive disappointment.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Elite is awesome in VR and is the sole reason I bought an Oculus. Popping out of hyperspace while a star rushes to greet you never gets old.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone want to group up for some rec royale tomorrow

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Walrus posted:

anyone want to group up for some rec royale tomorrow

What are they adding duos and squads?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
no but theres custom rooms for teaming

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I popped on the Elite thread to ask about VR as I was thinking of buying it and ended buying House of the Dying Sun instead. I'm thankful for its simplicity, the VR cockpit is really loving cool, and the gameplay is basically "hey its Freespace 2 but in VR". I don't have any fancy joystick so it's a game-pad for me which is still taking some time to get used to but I've been really enjoying it. The only "complaint" I've really seen around is that it's a relatively short game but then again it's also like $8 on sale now so it's a no brainer. If they could do something to enable the touch controls I'd imagine it would be even more immersive and fun.

Elite I think has touch control support which I guess could be way more fun but apparently it's also stupidly complicated in learning all the controls and mechanics and apparently not a whole lot to actually do so if you're looking for something more than a giant pretty sandbox it may not be the game for you. I still got plenty of other poo poo to try out before I decide I want to sink my life into Elite.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I popped on the Elite thread to ask about VR as I was thinking of buying it and ended buying House of the Dying Sun instead. I'm thankful for its simplicity, the VR cockpit is really loving cool, and the gameplay is basically "hey its Freespace 2 but in VR". I don't have any fancy joystick so it's a game-pad for me which is still taking some time to get used to but I've been really enjoying it. The only "complaint" I've really seen around is that it's a relatively short game but then again it's also like $8 on sale now so it's a no brainer. If they could do something to enable the touch controls I'd imagine it would be even more immersive and fun.

Elite I think has touch control support which I guess could be way more fun but apparently it's also stupidly complicated in learning all the controls and mechanics and apparently not a whole lot to actually do so if you're looking for something more than a giant pretty sandbox it may not be the game for you. I still got plenty of other poo poo to try out before I decide I want to sink my life into Elite.

Elite is not stupidly complicated at all. You fly just like House of the Dying Sun, and maybe you need to map the other stick on your gamepad to the jets that just kinda push you to each side. Anything else, you can control just through looking at the menus, and that just boils down to dropping landing gear and occasionally calling space stations and asking for docking clearance. It's really, really, simple.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Elite is not stupidly complicated at all. You fly just like House of the Dying Sun, and maybe you need to map the other stick on your gamepad to the jets that just kinda push you to each side. Anything else, you can control just through looking at the menus, and that just boils down to dropping landing gear and occasionally calling space stations and asking for docking clearance. It's really, really, simple.

Well fine I guess I’ll buy it now too. Ah wait I gotta possibly grab the season pass to go along with it, right? Or is the base game enough to get started and then I can grab the season pass later?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nah don’t buy Elite

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Is there a “party mode” for pretty much all games? Found one for space pirate trainer and now I don’t have to worry about my 8 year old accidentally getting into options.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I wouldn’t call Elite’s controls simple. I play it for a couple hours every day. And it doesn’t have touch controller support beyond “touch as gamepad”. You really do need a fancy joystick or use mouse and keyboard controls to get the most out of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kodilynn posted:

Is there a “party mode” for pretty much all games? Found one for space pirate trainer and now I don’t have to worry about my 8 year old accidentally getting into options.

Some games have arcade modes for quick sessions or showing off to your friends. I know Sairento and SuperHot VR do.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Elite is a good game imo but definitely not for everyone. Lots of controls to map, can be grindy, in-game information can leave you pretty lost especially as a noob. But after getting established it can be as chill or intense as you want it to be simply from the different options and play styles available.

I've heard it described as both a game for powergamers and "dads" and I can agree with that. I play with some nerdass minmaxers while I'm just leisurely working up my rep with various factions and flying cool ships around the galaxy and jumping moon buggies into kilometer deep craters (horizons required for that which I highly recommend)

I honestly didn't put much time into Elite before getting VR and the Horizons expansion because I would get bored, but it has proven to be a totally experience if you are actually IN the cockpit feeling like you're there.

tl;dr: elite is a good VR game but not for everyone. Immersion and visuals are great, combat is exciting, but it has a learning curve and it is possible to get bored if an overall slow paced game isn't your thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PenisMonkey posted:

Nah don’t buy Elite

I'd agree. I think it's bad, but pretty. There aren't many controls that you actually need to map, the vast majority can be found in-cockpit, and it's not a particularly deep game either. A real disappointment.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I didn’t have to map anything since the warthog is already fully mapped. I just don’t like grindfests. It is pretty and if you just want to fly around in space it’s fine if you get it on sale.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Elite is a great looking game with incredible atmosphere that is also (imo) pretty terrible. It's all grind and tedium. I'd be happy for just a space truckers game if it also wasn't more boring than actual trucking. I also don't know how you could describe the controls as simple since it is pretty awkward mapped to a gamepad and mouse + keyboard fumbling is weird in VR. People tell me it is great with a big elaborate joystick setup but that's nothing I'm interested in.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
People call Elite a sandbox game but I prefer to call it a box of sand - it's just a bunch of boring sand unless you use your imagination and/or have some friends there to help you dig into the sand and make something awesome.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 2, 2018

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Elite is currently $13.50 on Steam, just buy the game and see for yourself

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Elite is worth picking up on a decent sale because the flight model and sound design are flawless, and the early ship progression is good enough that you'll get your money's worth before the endless grind kicks in. Doubly so if you already have a hotas. I tend to play it a lot for a week or two then not touch it for months.

e: this vvv

AndrewP posted:

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 2, 2018

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Elite is literally the width of the galaxy and six inches deep.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah sorry I gotta jump on the Elite dogpiling, it's a very pretty game with absolutely nothing going on under the surface. The actual "game" is completely absent, and the developers continue to make mind-numbingly anti-fun game mechanics. Playing with goons for a while helped, but that's the only way I could muster the effort to keep playing after my first few days playing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's one of the coolest things to do in VR for like two hours

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If you’re looking for a “game,” Elite probably isn’t it. If you want an awesome spaceship simulator, especially in VR, Elite is the shizzie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guys, guys;

It'll probably be a while before I play this game but my god I love, LOVE the footage of people dicking around

I can't stand Elite on the flatscreen but it's zen as gently caress in VR. Not a great game, mind, but one you can lose hours in. Top notch atmosphere and with Oculus Home 2.0 you can pin videos to watch while you're space trucking.

If you want immediate spacecraft battle fun, do yourself a favour and get House Of The Dying Sun. It's insanely cheap at the moment (About £6) and its VR implementation is stellar - gamepad controlled, mind.