Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Trent was 52 years old at the time, it's a 9 second sample looped 52 times. Each time it decays.

oh poo poo I didn't know about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nail Rat posted:

Trent was 52 years old at the time, it's a 9 second sample looped 52 times. Each time it decays.
Trent does some really dumb poo poo sometimes, but also some really awesome poo poo like this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The other thing is when the loop starts it's really awkward and feels off but as it decays the flaws get smoothed out and by the end you don't even notice it and it becomes something else!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

glam rock hamhock posted:

The other thing is when the loop starts it's really awkward and feels off but as it decays the flaws get smoothed out and by the end you don't even notice it and it becomes something else!
It is pretty cool that time sandblasts the irritation to the point where it goes from super annoying to comforting white noise.

I didn't realize the 52 times thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That is almost as simultaneously cool/retarded as I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

olives black posted:

nah i just think it's funny that he has totally forgotten that he ripped off both the video and the song that put him on the map.

also I haven't listened to a kanye album since dark twisted fantasy

But neither of those links have anything to do with Head Like A Hole????

Also it's one thing for a nobody band like NIN was in the late 80s to steal and be inspired. But when Kanye claims to be the greatest artistic mind of our lifetime, hes held to a different standard.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

That is almost as simultaneously cool/retarded as I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP

I'd like to throw "...and the bass goes BOOM" into this discussion

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

obeyasia posted:

But neither of those links have anything to do with Head Like A Hole????

Also it's one thing for a nobody band like NIN was in the late 80s to steal and be inspired. But when Kanye claims to be the greatest artistic mind of our lifetime, hes held to a different standard.

Stealing what, exactly? He hired the NIN dude for his live shows but Trent doesn't own the concept of elaborate lighting for concerts

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Speaking of ripping things off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KBuWqxE7g

e: Oh Jesus, I just saw this on Facebook:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 28, 2018

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Stealing what, exactly? He hired the NIN dude for his live shows but Trent doesn't own the concept of elaborate lighting for concerts

Yeah, this is what makes him sound like an old codger; nobody's ripping off poo poo. Him seemingly forgetting the concept of being inspired by someone else's art is bizarre.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Nail Rat posted:

I'd like to throw "...and the bass goes BOOM" into this discussion

The bass goes bomb, though. Right over my head.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't find the source but I'm like 99% sure thatsthejoke.jpg

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

Yeah, this is what makes him sound like an old codger; nobody's ripping off poo poo. Him seemingly forgetting the concept of being inspired by someone else's art is bizarre.

I think it`s just marketing. He is probably hoping they make a big deal about it that keeps him in the news for a while.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bad Witch gets a resounding "meh" from me. Nothing super stands out. It's ok, but... eh.

Yeah it seems more like a concept album that you listen to in whole once or twice (and then a couple years later when you remember it and are in the mood) than Add Violence where a couple of standalone songs are still in my big shuffle rotation.

I paid for it anyway and didn't realize I'd be receiving the vinyl, so since I know almost nothing about vinyls and don't have a record player I came in here to ask about the texture I'm seeing on the B-side label, which resembles a track:

Is this possible, or is it just an aesthetic choice? I assume paper is not playable but I thought I would ask if anyone has tried it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Listening to it some more, I like poo poo Mirror, but I can get why people don't like it. It's like the two parts of Everything blended to make one sound

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Stinky_Pete posted:

I paid for it anyway and didn't realize I'd be receiving the vinyl, so since I know almost nothing about vinyls and don't have a record player I came in here to ask about the texture I'm seeing on the B-side label, which resembles a track:

Is this possible, or is it just an aesthetic choice? I assume paper is not playable but I thought I would ask if anyone has tried it

Ugh now I need the record today instead of my birthday next month

Though I'm sure someone else here must have it and would be able to verify...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah it seems more like a concept album that you listen to in whole once or twice (and then a couple years later when you remember it and are in the mood) than Add Violence where a couple of standalone songs are still in my big shuffle rotation.

It’s very possible that’s playable; I think one of Jack White’s gimmick vinyls did that among others.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You can make an elmer's glue impression of a record and play that apparently, so a paper track doesn't seem impossible.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

https://wfmu.org/MACrec/cbmany.html

I have a few of these. I dropped the needle on one once and instantly picked it up because no way that wasn't damaging the hell out of it.

I'll check mine when I get home from work, but I bet we would have heard by now if there was anything there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, that seems like something the fine obsessive folks over at Reddit would've already uncovered if it was another track.

Trent's made weird/cool aesthetic choices for years now. Remember the heat sensitive label on the Year Zero CD? Man, I thought that was so loving cool when I bought it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

david_a posted:

It’s very possible that’s playable; I think one of Jack White’s gimmick vinyls did that among others.

Yeah his first solo album has little hidden gimmick tracks under both paper labels, and you can play them if your record player will believe you that the arm can go that far. But one is at 45 and the other is at 78 because of course it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In light of recent events I'm pretty sure it was Trent's idea to name the band "1000 Homo DJs"

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

precision posted:

In light of recent events I'm pretty sure it was Trent's idea to name the band "1000 Homo DJs"

Al took credit for it; there's some story behind it I can't remember.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

Al took credit for it; there's some story behind it I can't remember.

Oh yeah, you're right - I recall the story existing too, but also can't remember what the story exactly is.

I never knew this though:

quote:

1000 Homo DJs is a side project of the industrial band Ministry. Even though the involment of Trent Reznor in the band isn't fully understood, it is definite that he sung the original vocals to "Supernaut." But because of contractual obligations with TVT Records, Al Jourgensen had to distort the vocals and say they were his to release the song.

hahaha

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I know I might be in the minority but I really like "poo poo Mirror".

What's the goon consensus on the worst Nine Inch Nails song ever? Is there a consensus? Might be fun to discuss.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's What I Get

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Everything easily

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I would not, in a million years, have guessed that the answer to "What's next for you?" would be "Composing a musical for the director of the film 'It Comes At Night'," but... here we are.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-to-compose-new-musical-waves-695482/

I'm disappointed, though, that it sounds like it's not an original musical. More like jukebox-style, with them writing the incidental music in between pre-existing pop songs.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Everything easily
Why is this song so hated? I love it. Sure, it is really out of character for NIN, but it is enjoyable for me.

Worst NIN song for me is Not So Pretty Now.

Also, poo poo Mirror is great. I don't know why it's so divisive.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
aWitha aTeetha
Worst song

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Everything easily

I seriously don't get this reaction to Everything, either.
Not to say this is what you're doing necessarily, but the reaction of "oh Trent's gone soft," "it's just a pop song," etc. just blows my mind because, while it may have bright sounding verses, the chorus devolves
into noise and the lyrics aren't exactly uplifting. Also Trent made his career on pop songs, so let's not get too carried away. People in this thread tried to say it sounded like a Miley Cyrus song and I just wonder if they're listening to the same thing.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I don’t think Not So Pretty Now should be in the running as it was never really released. Its like judging someone’s b-side.

I also agree on Withateetha. And I would add Vessel which is the only track I don’t like on Year Zero.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^^
He did end up releasing a studio version online. Yeah, it's not on any official release, but it's still a NIN song.

Dr Tran posted:

aWitha aTeetha
Worst song
The bass line owns.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, it was on the NIN/JA sampler that was officially released as a download on nin.com, so IMO that totally counts. And yes, I think Not So Pretty Now is a solid pick...
This might be an unpopular one, but Getting Smaller?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think I would have to say "Running".

Show of hands, how many of you had to do a mental check just now to remember that song even exists and what album it's on?

It's just very bland and forgettable, is what I'm saying.

"Discipline" is down there too. It's the epitome of verse-chorus-verse NIN and there aren't really any interesting production flourishes to save it. (The production on "Came Back Haunted" is just good enough to save it IMO.)

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Mierenneuker posted:

That's What I Get
this is the correct answer

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

I think I would have to say "Running".

Show of hands, how many of you had to do a mental check just now to remember that song even exists and what album it's on?

It's just very bland and forgettable, is what I'm saying.

"Discipline" is down there too. It's the epitome of verse-chorus-verse NIN and there aren't really any interesting production flourishes to save it. (The production on "Came Back Haunted" is just good enough to save it IMO.)
Oh yeah, I don't like Running either. The vocal effect is terrible and just sounds like his voice is clipping. Not great.

Getting Smaller is OK, but definitely a lower tier NIN song.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Big Man With A Gun.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
DEEP DEEP deep deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006