Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

bluetooth juice-squeezers, magical blood analysis

Are there any really comprehensive write-up of the whole Theranos thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/JamesCHarris97/status/1013425828024274945

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

bluetooth juice-squeezers

dang now i seriously want some bluetooth juice

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Trig Discipline posted:

dang now i seriously want some bluetooth juice

I don't think Denmark would be very happy with you exhuming his corpse.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Are there any really comprehensive write-up of the whole Theranos thing?

I posted one in the long form article thread, I think.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Don't you make fun of us, this is a genuine problem :nono:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/OZeRjeP.gifv

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't you make fun of us, this is a genuine problem :nono:

:ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dixville posted:

You can buy people's blood from blood banks for bullshit like that?? If I found out the blood I donated in high school was used for that I'd be loving pissed. That poo poo's supposed to be for saving people's lives! I almost passed out after I gave blood and all I got in payment was a cookie and some apple juice. And they do those transfusions for $8000 each. Seriously what the gently caress?

Now I'm not a teen anymore so I guess no one wants to buy my blood for frivolous purposes.

Probably not everywhere, no. In Canada it's illegal to sell blood, so they probably aren't doing it here. In america there are private blood collectors that will pay cash money for blood. Or maybe just plasma? I dunno. Anyway, those for-profit places would presumably have no problem selling blood to a health services company that sells people unnecessary blood transfusions.

Making affluent people think blood transfusion has magic powers could be funny/horrific though. Get people paying extra for only male (or only female) blood because you're no soyboy. Or Vegan people convinced to pay extra for vegan blood, so they aren't exploiting animals by proxy. Racists paying extra for blood from [race] because it has superior physical characteristics. (Old school white racists only want white blood, but new school white "race realists" want blood from the finest black teenage athletes.)

Massive flamewars where people argue that you should only get same-sex blood transfusions because wrong-gender-blood makes you weak/hairy and gives you cooties, vs the people who think you should only get opposite-sex transfusions because putting another dude's blood in you is gay. People musing that if teen blood is good child blood must be even better, I'm just saying what everyone is thinking why are you all looking at me like that.

And then later there's a scandal and it turns out the blood was only sorted by blood type, because blood bags only list blood type, not demographic information. The rest of the label was printed as the orders came in to say whatever the client ordered. :shrug:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
The Red Cross sells blood all the time. It's not just private firms. Hospitals sell blood to other hospitals. And so on.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a lot of money in blood

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Artisanal bespoke blood bags.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It is gluten-free

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

given that you will get charged for blood that wasn't even used, no need to do a fake transfusion

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

How did you know what my dad called me and my siblings?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You can definitely find plasma donation centers spotted around college campuses in the US.

The blood of the young has been debunked as pseudo-science though, Mr. Thiel.

They use blood plasma to treat burn victims and such and if there's a little THC in it, no harm no foul.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fails piss test because of stoned college student blood

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

They use blood plasma to treat burn victims and such and if there's a little THC in it, no harm no foul.

The company I work for does a blood donation drives every 6 months are so, and at the last one there was legitimately a sign saying that yes, you could donate blood if you had used cannabis recently. Colorado cracks me up sometimes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Eagerly awaiting for the TCC thread where people desperately try to get high from getting a blood transfusion from another user

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tendai posted:

The company I work for does a blood donation drives every 6 months are so, and at the last one there was legitimately a sign saying that yes, you could donate blood if you had used cannabis recently. Colorado cracks me up sometimes.

Donating plasma is a hoot because they cycle whole blood into this machine and put it back minus said plasma. You get a little light-headed and just walk to your dealer with $40 like yo

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Eagerly awaiting for the TCC thread where people desperately try to get high from getting a blood transfusion from another user

Nugchasers

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Samuringa posted:

This is why I got really high before I went in to save my own blood for a surgery. I'm not wasting that poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

syscall girl posted:

Donating plasma is a hoot because they cycle whole blood into this machine and put it back minus said plasma. You get a little light-headed and just walk to your dealer with $40 like yo

it always feels weird to me because the blood they put back has cooled a little.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

syscall girl posted:

gently caress if I new about that when I was younger i would be dead

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Wait there are drug tests in Colorado?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Field Mousepad posted:

Wait there are drug tests in Colorado?
Occupational drug testing has nothing to do with public legality and everything to do with private insurance risk management.

Step 1 is legalizing it but everybody forgets there is a step 2 of change occupational testing to spit tests because the metabolite pee/blood tests over report on the actual measure the insurance companies care about ie. can someone show up to a time and a place sober or were they using in the lead up to an accident.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

RFC2324 posted:

it always feels weird to me because the blood they put back has cooled a little.

They often mix it with an anticoagulant first and saline at the end!

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Wait, the cheese curds are supposed to melt?

Poutine is just tater tot casserole lol gently caress all y'all that make fun of midwest cooking.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Poutine is just tater tot casserole lol gently caress all y'all that make fun of midwest cooking.

They're not supposed to be like nacho cheese melty but just kinda melty

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
So Canadians eat undercooked tatertot casserole? Weak.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It sounds cooler in a french accent. Everything sounds cooler in a french accent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Poutine is awesome and I salute our northern brothers for creating yet another cheese and gravy delivery system.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Look at all these sad folks who've never had a proper poutine. Depressing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So Canadians eat undercooked tatertot casserole? Weak.

Well for one thing it's not anything like a casserole.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Canada being a terminally polite version of the American midwest is already established canon

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Lobok posted:

Well for one thing it's not anything like a casserole.

*leans in real close and whispers* and hotdogs are sandwichesssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?