Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Slim Pickens posted:

The angriest man on mars has no time for backstory. *throws monitor across the room*

also :hellyeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6X1TFRvI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo_n0b9mzw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

If anyone's looking for a medieval Banished/SimCity/defense buildergame, Kingdoms and Castles is currently 7 bucks on Steam, and I sunk about 7 hours into it accidentally after only planning on giving it a look yesterday.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/569480/Kingdoms_and_Castles/

Gonna restart a game on a bigger map and sink some more time into it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFz2pT9kQX8

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I bought The Division + DLC on Steam sale. I had originally bought it at full price when it launched, determined it to be garbage trash, and refunded it. It's apparently much, much better now so we'll see.

I'm debating on trying out Fortnite also. I've never played it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
From watching my friends play Fortnite seems like a more fun version of PUBG. Probably wouldn’t want to play it solo though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I almost always dislike cartoony aesthetics in games. I'm a broken person.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
fartnite has a bad aesthetic and the building mechanics make it insufferable

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

M_Gargantua posted:

From watching my friends play Fortnite seems like a more fun version of PUBG. Probably wouldn’t want to play it solo though.

That is what it is currently and pubg is kinda not doing as well because of it.

Plus the law suits surrounding it are amazing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i think 50 million units sold is doing well enough, possibly more than it deserves

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is true, but the player base now isn't units sold.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
true, because its 87 million daily active users across all platforms

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This is what I am referencing here

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/06/01/in-six-months-fortnite-battle-royale-has-cut-pubgs-pc-playerbase-in-half/#5cdb30cb1a5c

quote:

PUBG was king of the world in January, where it broke every Steam record there was with 3.2 million concurrent players. But since then, the game has been on a downward trajectory, losing about half of its PC population in the months since. The game now gets about ~1.5 million players during peak times on Steam, and that is continuing to fall.

Fortnite, meanwhile, has been a juggernaut. For a while it seemed like both games would be content to grow simultaneously, but the last few months have shown that PUBG’s loss is Fortnite’s gain. While Epic doesn’t release stats all that often, last we heard Fortnite had 40 million players with 3.4 million concurrents. But that was months ago and well before its peak, not that we’re sure the game has even peaked yet, and the latest figures are presumably much, much higher than that.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
weird how a free to play game with cartoon aesthetics that appeal to children has more players than one with generic realistic graphics thats 30 bucks

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A F2P game is going to have a much lower barrier for entry and more players vs. a prepaid game. PUBG making 50 million sales is a pretty huge deal, which is why it broke all those records.

I'm tired of playing PUBG though. While very good, it has worn on me. I haven't bothered much with Fortnite only because it has its own launcher and ecosystem and I honestly can't be bothered to keep that many services. But I might give it a try.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is the graphics and lower barrier to entrance, but at the same time why would all these pubg players switch to fortnite if they already bought pubg? To play a game with cartoony graphics?

I mean yah, a dollar entry fee plus loot boxes probably made them a lot of cash. At the same time players are switching to a free, cartoony game with no loot boxes but only cosmetics. There has to be another reason.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 1, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
who are "all these pubg players"? do you have any real proof of a playerbase migration? the games are tangentially linked due to being "battle royale" but they are very different in most respects

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Made it a few missions in to The Division and immediately lost interest. I think I also got three years worth of supply crates, but I won't know for sure because I have to get out of the tutorial before I can check.

Ah well, maybe I'll come back to it later.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Made it a few missions in to The Division and immediately lost interest. I think I also got three years worth of supply crates, but I won't know for sure because I have to get out of the tutorial before I can check.

Ah well, maybe I'll come back to it later.

You can always come back to that gameplay next year with The Division 2, this time in DC

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm pretty tired of single spawn multiplayer games in general, tbh. Rainbow Six: Siege is about the only one of those that can hold my attention and that's only when I get together with my PC gaming buddies for a weekend a couple times a year.

Looking forward to the new Battlefield. I would like for BLOPS 4 to be good but I have zero hopes.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

weird how a free to play game with cartoon aesthetics that appeal to children has more players than one with generic realistic graphics thats 30 bucks

riveting stuff here

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
gently caress off the edge of my dick xtoff

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
"i like fortnight cuz it runs at 30 fps on my surface pro" - an idiot

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

uhm same team bro

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
1v1 me in pubg lil bithc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don’t PC game anymore 🤷🏽‍♀️

Not sure if it’s on PS4 but we all know Sony doesn’t do cross play lmao

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pubg and fartnite are for lame losers 1v1 me in smash bros

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But really play what ya like!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r86wgZ5tTPo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I just really want a new Titanfall. That new Star Wars game the Titanfall team is working on does sound pretty dope though. I just wanna play as a Jedi again, is that so much to ask?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got Castles and Kingdoms and I think I'm officially over minecraft-like pixel/voxel graphics. God drat it's annoying to see what things are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just really want a new Titanfall. That new Star Wars game the Titanfall team is working on does sound pretty dope though. I just wanna play as a Jedi again, is that so much to ask?

Same. Hadn't heard about the SW game though.

But if Disney makes the world sick of Star Wars without giving us a decent loving X-Wing/TIE Fighter game, I'm going to burn Florida to the ground.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Lol I just read it’s slated for March 2020

Also recently this:

quote:

EA puts Star Wars game on hold as Uncharted creator Amy Hennig leaves company

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/6/28/17514192/ea-star-wars-game-amy-hennig-leaves

So I guess just erase it from your memory for the next long while.

It seems like an incredibly easy market to corner, I just don’t get it. We all want to play a s Jedi/sith and we also want to fly x wings and tie fighters, is that so much to ask? Nevermind how powerful nostalgia can be.

I’m still hopeful for a Titanfall 3 and respawn doing cool poo poo but with the EA merge who knows. I get the “EA bad” circle jerk is getting tiring but I digress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EA has been loving up left and right with the Star Wars license. Disney has to be on the verge of revoking it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Aside from loot boxes was there even a good game with Battlefront 2? I mean the damage is done so it’s a bit moot

Because the 1st was poorly received and rightfully so, it sucked

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
EA is gonna take respawn behind the shed after a single bad quarter, they've done it a half dozen times already, they'll do it again. TF3 will never happen :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah that’s the reality I refuse to accept

2 was such a breath of fresh air on all fronts

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

gently caress yeah. I just picked up TF2 on sale, and blew through it this weekend. I haven’t played a tight linear single player shooter like that in a while, and drat, what a good game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

“gently caress yeah this is good we need more of this gaming companies”

“Nah fam, have this instead”

🤔

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

“gently caress yeah this is good we need more of this gaming companies”

“Nah fam, have this instead”

🤔

TF2’s fatal flaw is that there were only so many cosmetic micro transactions that the game could support.

Make no mistake: what EA tried to pull with the last Star Wars Battlefront game is *exactly* what they want for the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

They really gaffed on that end with the customization especially with making skins unique to your boosts or w/e. If you ran cloak you had this skin, etc. The game was so fast paced you could hardly associate the skin with x boost. I would have paid good money for a pink cowboy hat and some red glitter stilettos or w/e

Also a lot of the cosmetic poo poo didn’t even drop until like halfway through the games life cycle

It’s like gently caress I’ll throw y’all money in the form of cosmetics just give me some options here

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 2, 2018