Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Did that finesparks gang tag come from the gdq thread?

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Carbon dioxide posted:

Did that finesparks gang tag come from the gdq thread?

At this point it's probably easier to count the things that DIDN'T come from the GDQ thread.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Now wishing I hadn't just lurked the threads occasionally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
congratulations to lowtax for a whole lot of money donated to his spine fund from obscure, weird memes

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

A lot of things happened in that thread. Most of which should probably be left to history (but probably wont)

SGDQ was a blast though.
when's the next duck game

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I just had a look at the speedrun.com leaderboards for Ducktales Remastered and if I de-rust I should be able to get top 5, think I'll give that a shot sometime soon. It's probably due to being an inactive leaderboard but I'll take it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nep-Nep posted:

I just had a look at the speedrun.com leaderboards for Ducktales Remastered and if I de-rust I should be able to get top 5, think I'll give that a shot sometime soon. It's probably due to being an inactive leaderboard but I'll take it.

Submit to agdq. I'll casual play Tomb Raider 2013 when I get back, see if it's what I want to run.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Studio posted:

Submit to agdq.

If someone reminds me when submissions are being taken I will do this! The only tech I never was quite comfortable was the Duckula quick cycles but if I put some effort into that I can get it consistent.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nep-Nep posted:

If someone reminds me when submissions are being taken I will do this!

I will get the entire forum to go to GDQs and make the charity fundraise for lowtax's rear end, god drat it!!!

I would read this thread, or if you tweet, follow the GDQ Twitter.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Someday I'll start practicing Oracle of Ages again

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

lowtax's rear end done quick

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Studio posted:

I will get the entire forum to go to GDQs and make the charity fundraise for lowtax's rear end, god drat it!!!

I would read this thread, or if you tweet, follow the GDQ Twitter.

Hi level move: If I somehow get this run in at some point there's a don't-move autoscroller with just enough time to post Ducktales fanart in the chill thread.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Buddy there's enough time to look it up on your phone and post it on stream

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

i need ff12 speedrun plz

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

i need ff12 speedrun plz

Not sure how watchable it would be now that the game has a fast forward button.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm glad that the SGDQ thread raised money for both MSF and this dead, gay, forum.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

That might make it more watchable!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Mr E posted:

I'm glad that the SGDQ thread raised money for both MSF and this dead, gay, forum.

They're both good causes, really. MSF helps a lot more people but SA is definitely a haven for hundreds if not thousands of goons and that's important, too.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Any list of SGDQ recommendations? The SGDQ chat thread is intimidatingly long.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

sincx posted:

there's the serious thread for recommendations. The OP is going to gather everyone's recommendations for posterity.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

given there's a nigh-perfect rng manipulation setup for seitengrats, probably wouldn't be that long

also depends if you count premade 2nd save for save manipulation in the run time as well. the terrible bloodborne 1.0 runs don't but we don't talk about those

e: also person talking about DaS1 runs try a reliable route before bkh rng hell. gravelord sword was a strong reliable route for newcomers and casual racing

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

Actually, That thread was a fanart thread with occasional speedruns derails

This is probably more true than not. It was still a fine thread, though. :love:

sincx posted:

The serious-list has a short crowd-sourced list of gems. In addition: I was also pretty fond of the Iconoclasts and Gimmick! runs. Studio's Monolith run is fun if you're down with pixel-arty roguelikes. Heinki's Deus Ex had great commentary. And Pizza Pop should be considered an honorary member of the silly games block.

The Super Metroid run this year deserves a mention: Not only was it good, but it's also a funky category that's never been done at GDQ before and has some unusual strats/optimization, so it's worth a watch. (100% map completion -- you have to visit every tile in the map, but are free to skip powerups as you see fit. It means you see some stuff like Spore Spawn that's usually skipped even for 100% item runs.)

e: And don't miss the Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 run.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 2, 2018

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

ullerrm posted:

The serious-list has a short crowd-sourced list of gems. In addition: I was also pretty fond of the Iconoclasts and Gimmick! runs. Studio's Monolith run is fun if you're down with pixel-arty roguelikes. Heinki's Deus Ex had great commentary. And Pizza Pop should be considered an honorary member of the silly games block.

The Super Metroid run this year deserves a mention: Not only was it good, but it's also a funky category that's never been done at GDQ before and has some unusual strats/optimization, so it's worth a watch. (100% map completion -- you have to visit every tile in the map, but are free to skip powerups as you see fit. It means you see some stuff like Spore Spawn that's usually skipped even for 100% item runs.)

Great, thank you!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

shameful that the serious list missed peaches_'s kid chameleon run. great commentary explaining tricks and possible missteps as he goes along with the history of speedrunning the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=84&v=EsN59OGwnoQ

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

baram. posted:

shameful that the serious list missed peaches_'s kid chameleon run. great commentary explaining tricks and possible missteps as he goes along with the history of speedrunning the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=84&v=EsN59OGwnoQ

Thanks for the reminder, I still have to catch that one from VOD.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When the schedule originally came out, I thought Doom 2016 was supposed to be a race, which I thought would be much better than a solo run, because then they couldn't afford to try the same trick 5 times, they'd have to know when to pass it up and just play the drat game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The same list of recommendations (and additional things) is in the second post of both threads fwiw, and any time I make both threads I'll keep doing it that way. Guess I can put it here too:

RUN RECOMMENDATIONS
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse race by tinahacks and JTNoriMaki
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos by CovertMuffin
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D by gymnast86
Resident Evil 4 by JTB
Kid Kool by Smartball - Fast, fun, good commentary. Also Brossentia.
Super Smash TV co-op by brisulph and JackimusWedge
Dustforce DX race by fishmcmuffins and Freshmaniac - A good and close race of a precision platformer.
F.E.A.R. by Maxylobes - Wholesome and chill. Crazy skips. Good couch.
Sonic 3 and Knuckles by mike89
Super Metroid by oatsngoats
Super Monkey Ball 2 by Yutori
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures by Zmaster91
Super Mario 3D Land by zeldacubed1
Cuphead by TheMexicanRunner
A Hat in Time race by flarebear and ConnorAce - Easy to follow indie game with really good commentary.
Celeste race by TGH and yoshipro - Capping off a trio of entertaining indies.
The entire silly games block by people because picking the gems out of that is impossible (from Pepsiman to Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures).
Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided by Heinki
Super Mario Bros. 3 race by mitchflowerpower and grandpoobear - For reasons that shall not be spoiled.
Borderlands: the Pre-Sequel! co-op by Shockwve and Amyrlinn
Bionic Commando by MURPHAGATOR!
Catherine by Ghoul02 - One player, two controllers, on-the-fly routing.
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 by PJ - A run so hype it broke the donation reader's layout.
Super Mario 64 race by Puncayshun and cheese05 - Fantastic race with great commentary.
Wind Waker HD by Linkus7 - Commentary and execution on point. Some issues at the start and end, but great in between.
Star Wars: Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith by ysalamiri
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back by Indy
Hob by halfcoordinated
Super Mario Maker race by Carl Sagan, grandpoobear, GlitchCat7, failstream, jaku and Cliffy
Super Mario Odyssey by NicroVeda
...and of course, the TAS block. Always a no-brainer, that one.

Also, the SGDQ 2018 fanart archive, courtesy of the chat thread.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That's a really good gangtag, dang. Makes me regret not posting in the sgdq thread.

ullerrm posted:

Hahahah, god drat. He was so happy through that run, too!

Given that AGDQ gave us and SGDQ gave us :justass:, I can only imagine what horrors await from the next one.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

There's a post in the SGDQ from the wonderful Alpha Phoenix that has a bunch of VODs posted and it has the page number where our shitposting started for the corresponding run

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861147&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2140#post485725097

If you want to go back and look at some of the very, very dumb/wholesome/horny/comfy poo poo we posted over the course of the week.

Zamujasa posted:

That's a really good gangtag, dang. Makes me regret not posting in the sgdq thread.

Hahahah, god drat. He was so happy through that run, too!

Given that AGDQ gave us and SGDQ gave us :justass:, I can only imagine what horrors await from the next one.

We have ESA in a few weeks, it probably won't be nearly as hype but who knows? The GDQ threads may have started something big :shrug:

Zombies magazine fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 2, 2018

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm going to start practicing doom II again

see me at gdq

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Hello friends, after GDQ I always have an interest in trying to speedrun (usually Star Control 2 but I end up getting distracted by there being so many games I need to play casually).

I asked this in the chat thread but thought I'd come here to ask too. I've been looking into getting a SNES Classic Mini since GDQ because I realised it has a large number of games I don't own (all of them), some I've never played such as Final Fantasy VI (which I'm interested in playing after seeing the speedrun) and Earthbound which I've heard is good, and some others, and a couple that I'd like to try dabbling at speedrunning such as Super Metroid or a Link to the Past.

Would a SNES classic mini be a good investment for this sort of thing, or is there a better way to play these especially if I want to try my hand at speedrunning them? Would there be any disadvantage or advantage to using one that might make it not allowed if for some reason I find myself being good at speedrunning a specific game?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

A lot of things happened in that thread. Most of which should probably be left to history (but probably wont)

SGDQ was a blast though.

It was a Fine Thread. Lots of good vibes.

Shoutouts to Team PLC; you guys are great.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

It was a Fine Thread. Lots of good vibes.

Shoutouts to Team PLC; you guys are great.

:emptyquote:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RoboJoe posted:

Hello friends, after GDQ I always have an interest in trying to speedrun (usually Star Control 2 but I end up getting distracted by there being so many games I need to play casually).

I asked this in the chat thread but thought I'd come here to ask too. I've been looking into getting a SNES Classic Mini since GDQ because I realised it has a large number of games I don't own (all of them), some I've never played such as Final Fantasy VI (which I'm interested in playing after seeing the speedrun) and Earthbound which I've heard is good, and some others, and a couple that I'd like to try dabbling at speedrunning such as Super Metroid or a Link to the Past.

Would a SNES classic mini be a good investment for this sort of thing, or is there a better way to play these especially if I want to try my hand at speedrunning them? Would there be any disadvantage or advantage to using one that might make it not allowed if for some reason I find myself being good at speedrunning a specific game?

A SNES Classic Mini is fine for getting into speedruns. A bunch of people in the ALTTP Randomizer community use them for their races and runs.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

RoboJoe posted:

SNES classic is great I love mine and it's generally considered legitimate as a platform for speedruns.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Phone posted:

A SNES Classic Mini is fine for getting into speedruns. A bunch of people in the ALTTP Randomizer community use them for their races and runs.

Nep-Nep posted:

SNES classic is great I love mine and it's generally considered legitimate as a platform for speedruns.

Great, thank you both! I can't afford one right now but I'll definitely get one when I can :) I'm quite interested in trying out some of the games, and especially trying a little speedruning for the more popular ones, I never owned a SNES and didn't play so many of the games.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's cool to see the WR Progression Video idea branching out to more video makers and more games. Here's a couple I ran into recently from sources other than Summoning Salt:

Pokemon Snap any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhesU1gVI-I

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD5EUpsZNCA

This one I think was linked before but Super Mario Sunshine any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudZMniib08

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

RoboJoe posted:

Great, thank you both! I can't afford one right now but I'll definitely get one when I can :) I'm quite interested in trying out some of the games, and especially trying a little speedruning for the more popular ones, I never owned a SNES and didn't play so many of the games.

Keep in mind the SNES Classic does have a bit of extra lag on flash-heavy games like Earthbound, making it run a bit slower, so if you're looking to speedrun that it might not be the best idea. Most games aren't affected, but some are. Star Fox 2 is a victim of this as well, but since it's the only legit way to play that game it wouldn't disqualify you from running it. (run Star Fox 2 so I have motivation to pick it up again).

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Oyster posted:

Keep in mind the SNES Classic does have a bit of extra lag on flash-heavy games like Earthbound, making it run a bit slower, so if you're looking to speedrun that it might not be the best idea. Most games aren't affected, but some are. Star Fox 2 is a victim of this as well, but since it's the only legit way to play that game it wouldn't disqualify you from running it. (run Star Fox 2 so I have motivation to pick it up again).

that usually doesn't matter much when a person is just starting out, since they'll be new so just getting the basic movement and easier tricks done first is what matters

maybe when they start getting times that approach the top 20, they'll consider ways to reduce lag and up their time since by then they'll be good enough to possibly get a WR, but before then it's all in good fun so don't sweat it

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Oyster posted:

Ah, that’s good to know. I was planning on playing Earhbound anything but casually (I’ve not played it before), but for the other games I’ll keep that in kind. To be honest I’m sure if I did try my hand at spedrunning I wouldn’t be very good at it. I’ll definitely try Star Fox 2 if/when I get a SNES Classic Mini!

I’ve always kept this dumb idea/dream that I want to become really good at running Star Control 2 and end up running it at GDQ, but ever time I try to play it other games just distract me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm thinking of running bionic commando 2009 and i don't know what's wrong with me