Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

LastInLine posted:

Turn on the Floating Action Button and you won't be reaching for the top?

Then i have to not accidentally tap the reply fab while trying to scroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Tweets aren't embedding again it seems!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Working fine here :shrug:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Works fine in latest beta.

Are you sure embedding is enabled?
Settings - Posts - Embedding - Tweets

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Odd I reopened the app and they are working again. Just my phone being weird I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Have the animations on the page bar (is that what it's called?) always been there? They look really nice, I love the sliding back arrow.

Another thing I never knew existed is that when starting the app cold, bookmarks are to the right of the favorites which is really great.

Really nice touches.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They've been there since the page bar got redone, it's the little things am I right!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Technically it's a violation of material design rules.

.... But those rules are frequently stupid as hell and contradictory, and this is one of those cases.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is it? Not saying you're wrong, but they're pretty broad about the possibilities and they're big on reflowing layouts and animating those changes and the like. The only thing I can think of is accessibility with the button moving a bit (could fix that with a bigger touch target when it's the only button). Is there a bit that says "don't do this"? I try to follow the rules because I'm not designer :ohdear:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Is it? Not saying you're wrong, but they're pretty broad about the possibilities and they're big on reflowing layouts and animating those changes and the like. The only thing I can think of is accessibility with the button moving a bit (could fix that with a bigger touch target when it's the only button). Is there a bit that says "don't do this"? I try to follow the rules because I'm not designer :ohdear:

Yeah, it's supposed to go over the toolbar and status bar, if you follow official examples this is what you'll get. https://material.io/design/components/navigation-drawer.html

Personally I've always disagreed with it, although I've made apps following the guidelines... just because. It's especially funny to me because they have the awesome animating nav drawer button built-in but when you follow their pattern you never see it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh the drawer? We were talking about the page bar with the icons animating

Yeah I see what you mean about the drawer - I can't see a rule about it ("can't see" not "it's not there") but yeah all their examples are full-screen huh. I don't think it used to be like that though? They keep changing it up

I'd have no problem with it going full height though, there's already enough stuff in there that you need to scroll it...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The app seems to be jumping to the last read post whenever it regains focus. Most of the time when I'm reading a page it's for the first time, so it jumps to the top post because it's not marked read yet even though I've scrolled past it.

This is particularly bad if you do anything involving switching back and forth between the app and another app, because you gotta scroll every time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are you on one of the store versions? There was a change to a support library recently that caused that, but that's only in the development branch (and it's been rolled back in the latest commit). Store versions shouldn't be doing it, and I can't get it to happen on my device

(Also might wanna make sure you don't have Destroy Activities enabled in Developer Options on your phone, if that's a thing you might have done)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It happens for me too on the store version. I notice it the most when the OS kills the app to free up memory.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it'll do it if it needs to restart, it reloads the webview content so it'll redo the scroll behaviour, which is annoying but at least it doesn't happen too often

But the library update changed how loaders work, and that's triggering that webview reload every time you hit onResume. So every time you switch tasks, or open a link, or even get something like the share popup, the page jumps back to where it loaded. It was driving me crazy and that's why I reverted it for now, there's no easy fix. That sounds like what our boy Jeffrey is getting, but it should only be happening if you're using a slightly old development version (or if you're destroying all activities, or if you're so low on memory the OS is destroying them anyway)

Could be happening a lot if you're browsing massive pages full of images too, that's more likely to have the OS throw the app out to reclaim some memory when you switch tasks

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hmmm, is there a way we could save the scroll position when the app is killed and restore it? I'm not super familiar with how the webview works though so maybe it's not possible

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I made an issue about it, but yeah that needs reworking one way or another. But, like everything else in awful dot eh pee kay, it's awkward!

Also it's mostly a javascript thing I know you love you some javascript

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Anybody else been having problems with awful not loading avs and emotes? All I've been seeing are empty boxes with question marks, occasionally an av will load up but not often

I tried deleting the app cache but haven't deleted data

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it'll do it if it needs to restart, it reloads the webview content so it'll redo the scroll behaviour, which is annoying but at least it doesn't happen too often

But the library update changed how loaders work, and that's triggering that webview reload every time you hit onResume. So every time you switch tasks, or open a link, or even get something like the share popup, the page jumps back to where it loaded. It was driving me crazy and that's why I reverted it for now, there's no easy fix. That sounds like what our boy Jeffrey is getting, but it should only be happening if you're using a slightly old development version (or if you're destroying all activities, or if you're so low on memory the OS is destroying them anyway)

Could be happening a lot if you're browsing massive pages full of images too, that's more likely to have the OS throw the app out to reclaim some memory when you switch tasks

The app does this to me too if I switch away to other apps, where it'll bring me back to the same page but back at the top of it (or the previously last unread post). But most apps reset for me if I switch to enough other apps (like Pokemon Go quitting even if I have my Pokemon Go Plus active), so I figured that was an Android thing and not an Awful thing.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'd like to request the option to load inline images from postimg.cc since it seems there's quite a few people starting to use that host and I'm too lazy to click through to my browser just for one image in a thread.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

site posted:

Anybody else been having problems with awful not loading avs and emotes? All I've been seeing are empty boxes with question marks, occasionally an av will load up but not often

Yeah, it comes and goes for me. I don't know what causes it nor what corrects it, so I just let it go.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Any stuff with forum assets like emotes and avs not loading is probably a site/network issue, maybe a localised cloudflare thing?

taiyoko posted:

I'd like to request the option to load inline images from postimg.cc since it seems there's quite a few people starting to use that host and I'm too lazy to click through to my browser just for one image in a thread.

Got a link to an example post? Inline images should Just Work, and the store versions have a patch a helpful goon added to fix the old URLs

vortmax posted:

The app does this to me too if I switch away to other apps, where it'll bring me back to the same page but back at the top of it (or the previously last unread post). But most apps reset for me if I switch to enough other apps (like Pokemon Go quitting even if I have my Pokemon Go Plus active), so I figured that was an Android thing and not an Awful thing.

Yeah it's an Android thing, if the system is low on memory it starts closing apps in the background to free some up - especially happens when you run a game since they loooooove memory. Awful's pretty good about restoring stuff after it's been closed, unfortunately the thread view is one place where it's a bit janky, so you get that "back to when you opened the page" behaviour (usually the top of the page or the first unread post)

It's gonna be fixed, needs a bunch of things to be rewritten though!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but are there any plans to be able to see a user's rap sheet or make the "user was probated/banned for this post" message a link?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A link is probably doable? I actually made a rap sheet / LC but forgot about it because I hit the "make look good with HTML" stage :shobon:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

They inline fine on Wi-Fi, but to save load times, I have images off on mobile data.

This post , when I try to have it load inline like an imgur image, the menu comes up like this instead:

E; for example, with an image on imgur I get this menu:

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 12, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh ok, because it's wrapped in a link the "turn off images and make them a link" code isn't handling it properly - probably need some way to turn it into a set of multiple links (one for the image, one for the page it links to) or whatever. I'll add it as an issue, thanks!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay I've opened and closed a thread 8 times in the last 24 hours, so I'm just gonna ask/request again to move the open/closed thread overflow option to somewhere not the top

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Had to reinstall due to a factory wipe and forgot to back up my settings.

It seems like I can hide read posts, but I can't seem to have the app jump me to the last read post on a page anymore. If I look at one post on a page, go back to bookmarks, it marks the whole page read and will load the next page, instead of taking me to like, post 5. Am I crazy or could I previously jump to the next unread post without having to hide read posts?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I don't recall the app ever taking how far you scrolled into account to determine what was read. Are you maybe misremembering being able to swipe between a subforum and the last-opened thread? That remembers where you were scrolled to.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You mean you loaded a page with new posts, but you only looked at the first one? It just works like a web browser - you load a page, the site marks every post on that page as read. If you want to read some of those posts, then come back to thread later and have it pick up where you left off, you need to use the Mark As Last Read option to set it manually

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Lprsti99 posted:

I don't recall the app ever taking how far you scrolled into account to determine what was read. Are you maybe misremembering being able to swipe between a subforum and the last-opened thread? That remembers where you were scrolled to.

Must have been that. Thanks

tviolet
May 20, 2004

site posted:

Same here, I deleted the app and reinstalled but I cannot see any images coming from the forum like avatar and emotes (show avatar and emotes are On)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Is show images on? That's like a main switch for everything (and probably needs to look like it in the settings because I got confused by this yesterday :dogcited:)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yup images work but avs/emotes dont

Also since that post i tried deleting app data but that didn't help either

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

And they load when you use mobile chrome ? What devices are you guys using ?

tviolet
May 20, 2004

Galaxy S3 with android 4.3. Maybe it's too old :) Images loads fine in my browser. The show images, avatar and emotes button are on. It's not a big deal tho.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yup, images on logged out mobile chrome works fine, this is on my galaxy s3 android 4.3.1 that avs/emotes don't show up

If it helps narrow anything down everything is fine on my nexus 10 Android 4.4.4 tablet

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Awful app is no longer updated on android versions below 5 (lollipop). Your devices are really old.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When did that happen

Also buy me a new phone if you got so much money to spare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

A few months ago, I think. baka kaba can answer that better than me. I'm not saying you have to buy a new device, but supporting software that's been obsolete for 6 years is not really worth the trouble.