Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

didn't google host their own code repo, and didn't they shut it down when they decided they didn't want to host a code repo anymore

yup and it hosed people over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster posted:

yup and it hosed people over

google's corporate add hosed people over?

the hell you say

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

finally there will be an os-level boob tab organization system for pleasurekevin.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiedler posted:

why would an advertising company want to buy github? all the users block ads.

probably the same reason an advertising company would want to buy an encrypted messenger

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

probably the same reason an advertising company would want to buy an encrypted messenger

infernal machines posted:

google's corporate add hosed people over?

the hell you say

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

couldn't the hinge state coding be for the stupid reversible/folding laptops that nobody wants

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
nope. it's for the device category of hinged devices having two displays.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

ugh microsoft is going to make a useless dual display laptop and then Tim is going to make a dual display macbook because it must be a good idea if microsoft did it

and at that point I will probably just swear off computing forever

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

no it's a useless dual display phone, not a laptop.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fiedler posted:

no it's a useless dual display phone, not a laptop.

you don't seem to get the progression here, it goes like this:

some company shits out a stupid device concept to try and make some sales on novelty alone

some desperate microsoft exec catches wind and demands that their engineers make a me-too product, because they can't fall behind in this valuable new market space

tim sees the advertising for the hastily cobbled together microsoft product and gets scared, he then demands apple rush out a slapdash competitor and the race to the bottom accelerates further

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, but sometimes apple leaks some nonsense about developing a clearly idiotic product that no one in their right mind would buy just to troll the competition, their competitiors go nuts and rush some garbage to market, timb sees this and and has apple make one for real due to fomo

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

everybody is working on folding phones. apple's already patenting components for foldable devices.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i already had a foldable phone in 2005

it was pretty good, it feels good when the hinge starts loosening up and you can open/close it just by flicking your wrist

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jennabot/status/1013500006408613894

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

why is the atm manufacturer using a general-purpose operating system for a single-purpose device

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dont be mean to me posted:

why is the atm manufacturer using a general-purpose operating system for a single-purpose device

by this definition you couldn’t even use freertos

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

embedded solutions are tricky to outsource.

windows programs on the other hand can be made for cheap in India

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

embedded solutions are tricky to outsource.

windows programs on the other hand can be made for cheap in India

also only windows is POSReady

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
to be fair an iot atm would be way worse

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

let me blow your mind: m2m = embedded = IoT

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

let me blow your mind: m2m = embedded = IoT

only if they are using internet-connected buttplugs

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Endless Mike posted:

only if they are using internet-connected buttplugs

there's a lot of room inside an atm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, you know they've been using wince 5, and xp embedded since forever too, right? before that it was os/2

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i remember being a kid and seeing an os/2 boot screen on an atm and thinking it was really cool

have a blessed monday all , thanks for reading

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2018/04/17/cleaning-up-apps-to-keep-windows-10-sysprep-happy/

lmao windows 10 is in such a rush to download and install every possible ad into the start menu that it breaks sysprep

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2018/04/17/cleaning-up-apps-to-keep-windows-10-sysprep-happy/

lmao windows 10 is in such a rush to download and install every possible ad into the start menu that it breaks sysprep

quote:

Error handling wasn’t worth the effort.

indeed

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Microsoft thread:

quote:

Error handling wasn’t worth the effort.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol they're making the halo tv show again https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/28/showtime-amblin-television-and-343-industries-bring-halo-to-television/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my current client has two of those gigantic surface tablets that you can cast your computer too and they're actually.... not half bad? i've written off 'smart' boards since forever and this feels like the first iteration that's actually worth half a poo poo

when i mentioned this to the client they laughed and told me how much it cost them :stare:

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

my current client has two of those gigantic surface tablets that you can cast your computer too and they're actually.... not half bad? i've written off 'smart' boards since forever and this feels like the first iteration that's actually worth half a poo poo

when i mentioned this to the client they laughed and told me how much it cost them :stare:

At my company they have these alongside projectors. Most of the time whoever is presenting uses the clickshare dongle with the projector. A worthy investment!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lack of purpose means Microsoft’s “Andromeda” may never arrive

it's certainly never stopped them before

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You can pry my beautiful Surface from my cold dead hands

Or when the SSD that cannot be replaced dies, anyway

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if they don't do it google will probably give it a swing and miss

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

i see microsoft pr person mary jo foley has officially announced that andromeda is dead. oh well, at least there's a total retreat from the polaris/uwp-only bullshit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'll never understand the narrative that the "courier" was ever more than a concept video and an excuse for j allard to fill a big office full of toys and throw swinger parties

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

I'll never understand the narrative that the "courier" was ever more than a concept video and an excuse for j allard to fill a big office full of toys and throw swinger parties

the j allard sex mixers will always be my favorite microsoft story

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
got a replacement hp with windows 10 + orifice 2016. why is there a goddamn weather widget in the outlook calendar set to Washington DC

also all the animation and poo poo in office is loving garbage. thanks satya

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's the default unless you have location services turned on.

why it exists in the first place is beyond me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

also all the animation and poo poo in office is loving garbage. thanks satya

everything else in office is also loving garbage and their monthly release cycle +no QA testing mean really basic poo poo gets broken every loving month