Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

lots of great long two character dialogue scenes that are gripping.

Yeah, this surprised me as well. A TV show based on a comic book that had scenes with two characters having interesting, nuanced dialog almost every episode. Of course, they kept a good number of hokey lines in there to maintain balance, though ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I haven’t watched Luke Cage S1 since it dropped but am I crazy or are they saying the N-word like way way way more?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Kal-L posted:

D.W. was mad that Luke has chosen to stop trying to be the Hero of Harlem, an example to all other residents, showing how there's this powerful black man who is helping people and fighting against the system and circumstances that makes their lives miserable via crime and poverty. Instead, by the end he gives up trying to change things, and starts accepting the system as needed, thinking that the only wrong thing with it is the person at the top. So for all his talk of how he'll be diplomatic and protecting Harlem, he has become just another gangster, willing to let crime be as long as it doesn't affect his neighborhood beyond the ordinary.

He really should have burned the drat club to the ground. I hope S3 has Mariah coming back to laugh at how much has Luke fallen from grace.

Right, I understood what happened, I was more confused by having Luke flatly turn down the club to Donovan and then just have him running it in the very next scene, as if the previous line of dialogue "No, I don't want it. It should be burned to the ground" had never happened. Seemed like they were going for a misdirect, but why bother when it's only for ten seconds?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ShakeZula posted:

Right, I understood what happened, I was more confused by having Luke flatly turn down the club to Donovan and then just have him running it in the very next scene, as if the previous line of dialogue "No, I don't want it. It should be burned to the ground" had never happened. Seemed like they were going for a misdirect, but why bother when it's only for ten seconds?

It seemed confusing but I thought they intended it to be a misleading line about the painting or something.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I'm just disappointed there wasn't a race between him and bolt

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t watched Luke Cage S1 since it dropped but am I crazy or are they saying the N-word like way way way more?

Same but I thought they said it a lot more in season one?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

It seemed confusing but I thought they intended it to be a misleading line about the painting or something.

Yeah he was talking about the painting.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finished the season and yeah, that was the best Netflix Marvel they've put out. The actors for Cage and Tilda are the worst on the show, but still acceptable, considering the great performances all around. I didn't really see the point of Shades in S1; I am so glad I was deeply wrong. I thought Piranha was a pretty great character, too.

I liked the riffing on Greek epic and tragedy. Cursed bloodlines (including an Atreus curse), tragic hubris, and an Odysseus-like hero who might be too cerebral for his own good. Odysseus got dragged into a dumb war by the House of Atreus, and then spent the next ten years losing everything and everyone he'd traveled with to various hazards (including to the sirens, which got name-dropped in the show), and ended up imprisoned for most of the ten years, pining to get home. When he finally did get home, he murdered everyone who'd been living large off his estate. There's no 1:1 correspondence, but it's a nice theme.

I also liked how Harlem's Paradise was a stand-in for Harlem itself. Most viewers won't appreciate, and it would take a lot of screen time to capture, the sense of place in a city neighborhood they didn't grow up in. So while Daredevil can talk about Hell's Kitchen all he wants, there's no reality to it in the show. In Luke Cage, we can comprehend more as Harlem's Paradise changes hands while the clientele goes mostly unchanged (but those changes are themselves important). We are shown the club constantly. The pictures on the wall really capture the aspirations of the person currently in power.

Gyges posted:

[*]Please don't have Claire boning another super person next time she shows up.

what if she's boning Jessica Jones

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That was entirely too engaging.

Want my Daughters of the Dragon series, but I'm impressed they resisted the temptation to set it up when it seemed right around the corner of Misty maybe leaving the force.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Koalas March posted:

This isn't how I interpreted it at all, nor do I think it was a misdirect (or bad editing). I think it's just that Luke knows drat well he's making a bad decision in accepting ownership of Harlem's Paradise.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I'm just disappointed there wasn't a race between him and bolt

Look HE NEVER SAID HE WAS FASTER

radlum
May 13, 2013

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

he can team up with Morbius and Blade to fight them

If season 3 of Luke Cage is the way we get Blade in the MCU I will be OK with it

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
The biggest issue with this season was the structure. The central Bushmaster-Mariah war was empty of purpose until we got the Jamaica flashback scenes in episode 10. I really did not care every time he said “Stokes” or “it me birthright.” He finally got meat in his character but it was a little too late; all the violence preceding didn’t seem like it actually advanced anything interesting until then.

The show’s writing also tends to telegraph everything from a mile away in totally unsubtle ways. The worst was maybe Luke’s dad going “I think we are going to be perfectly okay tonight. Nothing will go wrong!!!” which made me laugh out loud. It would have been a little nice to some sort of interesting plot subversion at some point in the midpoint of the season to keep things fresh, but then I remember the horrible "twist" in S1 that Bushmaster was Luke's brother. The most unexpected thing in the season for me was that I actually enjoyed seeing Shades and his character development.

Overall I like Punisher, DDS1, and both JJ seasons better than this, but it ended up having a lot of solid scenes that were enjoyable, like the Tilda-Maria dialogue about their family history that was great but maybe have actually been handled better in flashbacks .

edit: in terms of fight direction they still haven't topped the Jessica-Luke fight in JJS1 in terms of really showing Luke's terrifying strength.

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 1, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Koalas March posted:

No, the will said that Tilda got the keyboard, the painting was donated to a local art collection/museum (I don't remember which specially), the Family First initiative was to become the Family First Foundation and receive her money to run the center, and Luke got the club as a final "gently caress you" to Tilda and to tempt him to become a bad guy which is clearly going to be the central conflict of season 3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Watching the latest seasons of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones simultaneously. Holy poo poo is Jessica Jones slower than even Netflix's "gently caress You And Your Sense of Basic Structure" design.

I could not give less of a solid flying gently caress about the conspiracy that the season keeps throwing at me. I'm only a few episodes in but I'd be 100% happier if the show just went in a more episodic direction with her solving cases and the season's thread slowly gaining prominence.

Dude just give up on Jessica Jones season 2, it's complete poo poo.

Gyges posted:

I love Misty and the actress knocks her scenes out of the park consistently. They really need to stop forcing her back into being a cop though. The arc of the character from cop to not cop was really good. Then they just called do over and decided to put her back on the force because I guess the only character they know less of what to do with is Claire.

Yeah this bugged me too.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 1, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Just to save ol' captain and the rest of the thread some time I'll get this out of the way now.

Lurdiak posted:

Dude just give up on Jessica Jones season 2, it's complete poo poo.

Something hyperbole something something hyperbole!

You're right it's bad

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
never been able to really get on Luke Cage's side in the run of this show. he's such a cop, working with cops, hanging with cops, makes my skin crawl. can't ever fully embrace media that expects me to side automatically with the police. at least matt murdock is a defense attorney even if he's still all about Crime and Criminals. at least jessica jones is a private eye often as not at odds with official power.

breaking with the cops and misty to become the underworld boss of harlem though? finally luke is going places I can appreciate. still spent the season rooting for Bushmaster

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I just finished it, it was a good season and ended much more consistently than season 1. I kinda wish the D.W. scene were split into two parts: one as it actually happened before the will reading where he's questioning what Luke did with the Italian boss, and one after the reading where he comes to Harlem's Paradise in shock and with his suspicions validated, and he tells Luke the new deal with the barbershop.

I really like where this season ended, though I think the editing got a little confusing by the end with the "burn it to the ground" fake out and the number of assumptions DW makes in the barbershop scene (even though they turn out to be true).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, the will said that Tilda got the keyboard, the painting was donated to a local art collection/museum (I don't remember which specially), the Family First initiative was to become the Family First Foundation and receive her money to run the center, and Luke got the club as a final "gently caress you" to Tilda and to tempt him to become a bad guy which is clearly going to be the central conflict of season 3.

Not the Basquit, the Biggie one.

never been able to really get on Luke Cage's side in the run of this show. he's such a cop, working with cops, hanging with cops, makes my skin crawl. can't ever fully embrace media that expects me to side automatically with the police. at least matt murdock is a defense attorney even if he's still all about Crime and Criminals. at least jessica jones is a private eye often as not at odds with official power.

breaking with the cops and misty to become the underworld boss of harlem though? finally luke is going places I can appreciate. still spent the season rooting for Bushmaster

I like the cut of your jib.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 1, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I do think it's kind of funny that the end of the show tries to convince us that Luke Cage taking over a cultural hot spot in his community is a sign of a "fall" from his previous position of being a homeless vigilante.

I mean I get that the place is pretty tainted and I have no doubt that he will get in over his head and be presented with some tough moral choices that will make the prospect a lot scarier in season 3, but at least on its face it reads to me more as Luke Cage actually trying to take more responsibility. Especially since, as we've seen, his activities up to this point don't seem to have made Harlem safer.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 1, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nickoten posted:

I do think it's kind of funny that the end of the show tries to convince us that Luke Cage taking over a cultural hot spot in his community is a sign of a "fall" from his previous position of being a homeless vigilante.

yeah, i mean what did really accomplish as a vigilante? most of what we see him do is gently caress up low-level drug dealers and mooks. about the best bit of vigilantism he manages is stopping Cockroach from beating on his girlfriend, but he wasn't there to help her specifically any more than the cops were when they showed up to take Cockroach away. he was going after drug dealers in the first place because people were ODing, so the real best case for his little D.A.R.E. campaign was shutting down Harlem's opiod trade and sending X number of addicts into either cold-turkey withdrawal or increasingly desperate gambits for comparable substances. as the Boss now Luke's in a position to actually regulate, hold people higher up the chain in the trade accountable if their stuff's too cut with nonsense or poorly distributed for people to use it safely. plus he won't be feeding grunts into the carceral system on a daily basis anymore. everybody wins, unironically

Koalas March posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

bushmaster's cool, his fighting style's fantastic to watch, all the jamaican patois and reggae in this season was beautiful

and I ain't never had enough money to develop good associations with cops

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

about the best bit of vigilantism he manages is stopping Cockroach from beating on his girlfriend, but he wasn't there to help her specifically any more than the cops were when they showed up to take Cockroach away.

He was that time. The old neighbor he spoke to the first time he visited called him about it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yeah, i mean what did really accomplish as a vigilante? most of what we see him do is gently caress up low-level drug dealers and mooks. about the best bit of vigilantism he manages is stopping Cockroach from beating on his girlfriend, but he wasn't there to help her specifically any more than the cops were when they showed up to take Cockroach away. he was going after drug dealers in the first place because people were ODing, so the real best case for his little D.A.R.E. campaign was shutting down Harlem's opiod trade and sending X number of addicts into either cold-turkey withdrawal or increasingly desperate gambits for comparable substances. as the Boss now Luke's in a position to actually regulate, hold people higher up the chain in the trade accountable if their stuff's too cut with nonsense or poorly distributed for people to use it safely. plus he won't be feeding grunts into the carceral system on a daily basis anymore. everybody wins, unironically

bushmaster's cool, his fighting style's fantastic to watch, all the jamaican patois and reggae in this season was beautiful

This is somehow gonna end with a head-on picture of Luke's fist with SHUT THE gently caress UP LIBERAL emblazoned across it.

I approve.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

He was that time. The old neighbor he spoke to the first time he visited called him about it.

well that takes it from 'about' to 'definitely' the best vigilantism he accomplished, fair enough

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's been a running theme of the Marvel Netflix shows that just punching people doesn't actually work for cleaning up the community. You can put the hurt on individual criminals, even bring down specific crime bosses, but vigilantism isn't how you effect systemic and positive change in a community. Luke in particular doesn't know how to fight crime in any way but punching people and threatening to punch people, thus leading to this season's events.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best episode of Iron Fist is an episode of Like Cage LoL

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Bust Rodd posted:

The best episode of Iron Fist is an episode of Like Cage LoL

Not gonna lie, the moment i saw him in one episode i just want "oh noooo, please don't", but he's a lot less fish out of water in this episode and I really liked it. That made me think that I honestly believe it would've been better if they had Iron fist as a supporting character, the same way Luke Cage was introduced in Jessica Jones.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This thread and reading ahead a little is the main reason I'm sticking with Luke Cage. First two episodes have been a chore. But the Jamaican dudes seem cool and Shades, aside from the zero chemistry relationship, is also still a good character.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doronin posted:

This thread and reading ahead a little is the main reason I'm sticking with Luke Cage. First two episodes have been a chore. But the Jamaican dudes seem cool and Shades, aside from the zero chemistry relationship, is also still a good character.

Shades is in love with someone, and it's not Mariah.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t understand why Shades is such a bad actor in ever scene with Mariah and such an insanely good actor in scenes with Misty.

Bushmaster is probably the most handsome person in the Netflix MCU and I hope he is in every season of Luke Cage and is also my friend

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I thought with all the emphasis being put on how Luke can't work incognito because he's a huge bulletproof black dude that they were going to make the realisation that Danny should put on a mask. Especially after Luke gets sued that one time. Perfect excuse to lead into Iron Fist getting a cool mask, but they kept on with Danny telling literally everyone he meets about his powers. At least that's entering self-aware comedy territory now, I'm giving it a wry smile now despite myself.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

I thought with all the emphasis being put on how Luke can't work incognito because he's a huge bulletproof black dude that they were going to make the realisation that Danny should put on a mask. Especially after Luke gets sued that one time. Perfect excuse to lead into Iron Fist getting a cool mask, but they kept on with Danny telling literally everyone he meets about his powers. At least that's entering self-aware comedy territory now, I'm giving it a wry smile now despite myself.

Danny talking about it with Turk was one of the highlights of that episode for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Someday Luke Cage will meet a dragon and it will loving own.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t understand why Shades is such a bad actor in ever scene with Mariah and such an insanely good actor in scenes with Misty.

Bushmaster is probably the most handsome person in the Netflix MCU and I hope he is in every season of Luke Cage and is also my friend

I immediately looked him up and followed him on IG @_mustafashakir_ he is handsome and awesome and I’d also like to be his friend

And this show even made me like Danny Rand/The Iron Fist so that’s impressive

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I was going to say that I wasn't overly impressed with Mariah this season until (episode 9 spoilers): her monologue to her daughter, which started off as her trying to win her daughter over to her side of things, it was extremely sympathetic and then BAM complete heel turn. It was awesome.

My problem with this season is it keeps following the same beats for the protagonist and the villains....maybe the genre is too played out, but they gotta find some new motivation for folks aside from being sad about dead people in their past.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He's working with gangsters to push the ill effects of drug abuse and cartel violence to other parts of NY. The deals and compromises he's gonna have to do to be the head criminal dude is only going to lead to a headspace (that we already saw glimmers of) of chasing more power to validate a literal hero complex.

The end result should be Cage opening up a chain of medical treatment, all inclusive spoke type of addiction center throughout Harlem or something, maybe joined by social services aimed at fighting the economic basis for drug addiction.

Plus he uh punches down a bunch of doors or something?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The whole season was full of constant cliche dialogue and plot beats. It was glued together more coherently than recent Marvel shows, which was nice, but in the end I kept waiting for it to just get on with it.

They got to play with colored lighting more at least (Ep10, woooooo!). Maybe the taint of red brick and grey concrete everything is fading away finally as the movies pull farther away from that aesthetic. Which, it's been alleged, almost entirely rests on the shoulders of famous cheapskate Ike Perlmutter.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I do really love how they let their characters speak in patois and not sugarcoat it too much for a general audience, all the Jamaican characters are cool as hell.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Wow, that was insanely good. I’m really hoping Luke runs heroes for hire out of the Paradise next season and they don’t go with the bullshit “burn everyone down” from JJ season 2.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrigaar posted:

The whole season was full of constant cliche dialogue

some particularly egregious examples of that right in the first episode of this season, weakest point of the show imo

i was able to get over it, but the sheer corniness of some of the dialogue threw me off watching for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Just started watching Luke Cage season two and getting a kick out of the episode titles being from Pete Rock & CL Smooth