Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

anyone have an issues with mods not loading
they were working a few days ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Section Z posted:

The gap between "Unfuck the Blackjack after the tutorial mines" being a deliberate pain and "I just deliberately overheated and inflicted DFA self harm with my grasshopper" being an afterthought is still pretty telling.

Do you feel like you are a hard luck mercenary unit because that single small laser is your breaking point, or do you just feel like it's just wasting your time?

It really kind of is absurd. Even just the thought of fixing the starting locust's awful loadout makes me want to just sell the drat thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Quickdraw is kinda underwhelming.

Anyone got any good loadouts for it? I cooked up a loving bonkers Kintaro build that I'm enjoying immensely as it shits all over things. My Orion I just use as a meatshield, though its damage output is pretty good. The Wolverine is a solid mover and flanker, and sometimes I swap in Shadow Hawks or a Centurion with varied ranged setups, depending on the mission type. Still haven't done Smithon, just trying to bone up on my Lance so that I can more easily manage it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

S.J. posted:

It really kind of is absurd. Even just the thought of fixing the starting locust's awful loadout makes me want to just sell the drat thing.

That's the best thing to do with the locust.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

The Quickdraw is kinda underwhelming.

Even in tabletop the Quickdraw is a lemon.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Taerkar posted:

That's the best thing to do with the locust.

the locust is really just a sellable container to pack in mech parts

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Viva Miriya posted:

anyone have an issues with mods not loading
they were working a few days ago

Did you re-apply the injector? You gotta do it after every patch.

Also the Locust is totally fixable for the early game - just slap s-lasers or MGs into all the support hardpoints and be extremely careful with reserving.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Despite the utter shittiness of the future, they still have free healthcare. :smith:

You can always sign a contract, raise your right hand, and say some words if you want the exact same kind of free health care with the exact same kind of risks today.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Did you re-apply the injector? You gotta do it after every patch.

Also the Locust is totally fixable for the early game - just slap s-lasers or MGs into all the support hardpoints and be extremely careful with reserving.

Just did but it only wants to load the skip intro mod apparently. Thanks for letting me know.

code:
BTModLoader -- 7/1/2018 4:11:13 PM
4:11:13 PM - ModTek.dll: Found and called entry point "Void Init()" in type "ModTek.ModTek"

Took 0.2839181 seconds to load mods

4:11:14 PM - SkipIntro.dll: Found and called entry point "Void Init()" in type "SkipIntro.Patches"
e: nm I'm good. Turns out I had a mod that had a extra folder in it. Needed to fix that and now i'm good.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 1, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
There's a variant or two of the locust slightly less terrible. One has an LRM5 that can zip around and harass targets.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Section Z posted:

Yeah I just let my mechbay upgrades lapse once I hit the sanity point. So I was just running with the spare mechbays and automation even though I could have easily afforded more for ages because I was just happy to not have poo poo time on adjusting new mechs.

Not like the Sim pods I bought instead do gently caress all, but Sumire was excited about them. Though it did drive home how useless they are, when my lab rat control group of rookies that never saw a single real mission could only go from 2/2/2/3, to 3/3/5/8 at best when I finally stopped victory lapping with my Royal Highlander and chain the rest of the plot missions.

When the most expensive sim pod money can buy is only 1,500 exp per month (a bit less than a lot of 1,600-2,000 missions I could take with a fresh argo), that's pretty sad even before the fact they put a hard cap on gains.

Maybe it was more intended more as filler for all those times you take a travel contract, find a single mission, repeat? That would be a far more honest description.

I'm playing with the lowest XP gain difficulty option and I loving. Love. Sim pods.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Panfilo posted:

There's a variant or two of the locust slightly less terrible. One has an LRM5 that can zip around and harass targets.

Yeah, that's in the game. It has two LRM's fives and I think a grand total of one ton of armor. Anything above a machine gun hit goes through and hits structure. It makes sense if you have bigger maps where it can zip around outside of LOS and pop stuff, but in this it's just one medium laser hit away from losing a torso or leg.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm new to the game so a couple questions :

How do you guys determine just how much firepower to use in blasting enemy mechs? I've basically just been removing low hit chance stuff and it seems I overkill a lot of mechs

Any recommended load outs for the starter mechs? The small lasers seem useless, while it seems the Blackjack has way too many medium lasers.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Unless you're running really hot mechs it's usually the right call to fire just about everything with good to-hit to make sure they go down, so overkill is really "best practice" rather than a bad idea :v:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My game crashes at the end of every mission now, just as I finally finished building a Black Knight and Grasshopper.

I'm gonna try reinstalling and doing a big boy run without the 5x cbills mod this time.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kris xK posted:

How do you guys determine just how much firepower to use in blasting enemy mechs? I've basically just been removing low hit chance stuff and it seems I overkill a lot of mechs

Any recommended load outs for the starter mechs? The small lasers seem useless, while it seems the Blackjack has way too many medium lasers.

Locust: don't waste mechbay time on it.
Spider: take out the JJs, fit 2 small lasers along the 2 medium lasers, rest goes into armor and you ditch this death trap first chance you get.
Blackjack: dual AC/5s, 2 tons ammo, 4 JJs. This is long range sniper, does pretty decent, no heat buildup so fires all day jumping when appropriate even in hot maps.
Vindicator: 4 mlas, SRM6, 1 ton ammo, 4 JJs, 8 heatsinks. This is a brawler. Taking a small laser or two don't hurt.
Shadow Hawk: 2xSRM6+SRM4 with an mlas, or 3xSRM4 with an mlas and an AC5. 1 or 2 tons SRM ammo depending, 1 ton for the AC5, 4-5 JJs depending how you're on weight. SRM6 version is better overall but it depends on what weapon variants you get and all that. Drop armor on the left arm to 30 or so to free up weight, legs to 80, then distribute front armor as you see fit.
Centurion: This thing is a beast. 3xSRM6 w/2 tons ammo, 2 mlas, 6 heatsinks, 4 JJs, or turn it into an LRM boat with minimal armor, 3xLRM15 and 5 tons ammo.

General design guidelines: 70-80 leg armor on mediums is fine, don't go crazy on back armor for any mech since it's there as insurance for your mistakes rather than meant to actually be used (never use more than 35 really, and I tend to drop it to 5-15 on mechs never meant to get close), go for max front armor if possible but sometimes you just gotta drop half a ton or so from the torso to make room for equipment.

Small Lasers are incredibly damage efficient but their range limit their usefulness unless you are intentionally boating them (ie Firestarter, Grasshopper, or the occasional mech with 3-4 support slots). Note support weapons ignore Evasion pips, they fire on melee attacks, and you will actually strip 2 evasion pips if you melee alongside support weapons.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Kris xK posted:

Ballistic weapons and missiles have a minimum firing range, the AC2's your Blackjack start with have a very punishing deadzone and should be the first thing you replace. Otherwise hit chance is based mostly on line of sight and enemy evasion pips. You'll gain more accuracy as you put more points into gunnery. Medium lasers are actually very good and are going to be your main workhorse on many mechs in the future. Once you start adding heatsinks you'll see why. Small lasers are situational and only work at point-blank.

Bum-rush campaign missions until you unlock the Argo, doing the occasional contract as needed to shore up your funding. Trying to refit mechs in the Leopard is how you go bankrupt in record time. Try to make your stock mechs work until then since the only enemies you really need to watch for early on are Commandos packing Large Lasers (try to leg these suckers for a decent backup mech and you can put away the Spider). Once you have the Argo go ham on your mechs and start customizing them to your heart's content.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 2, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kris xK posted:

Overkill is better than No Kill.

Remember the Creedo of the Violent Combat Robots

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Is there any use for light mechs later on? You only get to take 4 mechs at a time, and late game gave heavier lances backed up by tons of reinforcements.

While light mechs get a few perks (good evasion, high Initiative, the option of being able to go twice in a round) they don't have the armor or firepower to hold up against the big boys.

Too bad there weren't more missions designed around lighter mechs, so that taking one along was still a viable choice. Another thing they could do is have missions with some side objective (get to some building before X turns and Defenders blow the bridge to it) in order to get some edge in the main part of the mission.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Is there any use for light mechs later on? You only get to take 4 mechs at a time, and late game gave heavier lances backed up by tons of reinforcements.

While light mechs get a few perks (good evasion, high Initiative, the option of being able to go twice in a round) they don't have the armor or firepower to hold up against the big boys.

Too bad there weren't more missions designed around lighter mechs, so that taking one along was still a viable choice. Another thing they could do is have missions with some side objective (get to some building before X turns and Defenders blow the bridge to it) in order to get some edge in the main part of the mission.

Not really.

There's basically only one or two mission side-objectives that require lighter, faster mechs and they're considered "gotchas" by most because nothing else in the game requires you to. So by the time you get to them you and your heavy/assault lance is going to be taken by surprise.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So what exactly do I need to edit to get more missions per planet? I edited the "Max ContractsperSystem" to 9 for both SimGameConstants.json and SimGameConstants_base.json and I'm still only getting like 1 mission per planet.

Do the breadcrumb metrics do anything? I may have edited those at some point but I can't remember.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Xarbala posted:

Not really.

There's basically only one or two mission side-objectives that require lighter, faster mechs and they're considered "gotchas" by most because nothing else in the game requires you to. So by the time you get to them you and your heavy/assault lance is going to be taken by surprise.

That's too bad. It seems like they half heartedly tried to make them viable by making them harder to hit or going first. But a problem here is that they just get completely outclassed later on. It's hard enough overcoming a David and Goliath one on one match-up, but the enemy also has numbers on their side.

There's also the fact that a lot of light mechs weren't intended to fight bigger mechs necessarily. They were intended as scouts, Counter insurrection duties, Rapid response assets, urban defense, and so forth. Unfortunately we don't really get to use them in these ways.

A lot of lostech would've been especially useful on Light mechs to give them more to do. MASC, TAG, ECM, NARC pods, and Beagle Active Probe were all particularly great to have on light mechs and helped them function as force multipliers for allies.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

That's too bad. It seems like they half heartedly tried to make them viable by making them harder to hit or going first. But a problem here is that they just get completely outclassed later on. It's hard enough overcoming a David and Goliath one on one match-up, but the enemy also has numbers on their side.

There's also the fact that a lot of light mechs weren't intended to fight bigger mechs necessarily. They were intended as scouts, Counter insurrection duties, Rapid response assets, urban defense, and so forth. Unfortunately we don't really get to use them in these ways.

A lot of lostech would've been especially useful on Light mechs to give them more to do. MASC, TAG, ECM, NARC pods, and Beagle Active Probe were all particularly great to have on light mechs and helped them function as force multipliers for allies.

I still poo poo on the longevity of lights overall, but the fact does remain this is probably the best lights have ever been on the longevity front. I would not be keeping a firestarter or two in my mechbay all game otherwise.

The most hilarious part being I stopped bringing lights on missions not because of their firepower and low armor, though that would have been inevitable.

No. I stopped bringing lights regularly because they were poo poo at the sort of job you and countless others spitball to "Give them something to do"

"Convoy ambush mission! Aw yeah let's melee a tank with a 6 MG firestarter that can reach them faster!... Oh the tank is still alive. So much for that" And then it spent the mission backstabbing heavy mechs to death, while my heavy mechs fought the tanks.

"Hmm, this side objective is what people keep saying bring a light for" and then my max evasion+vigilance spam shadowhawk nearly gets a leg blown off from AI focus fire on their sprint to prevent hospital deaths, gee that would have gone SO WELL with a light mech with matchsticks for legs, even ignoring all the mechs it now had between itself and the lance on the way back.

etc. I always had a firestarter or two in my mechbay all game. But it was because they were the best lights for fighting heavier mechs. As lights are garbage at their supposed "fast response" role from their overall lack of firepower unless they are essentially given a handout.

Can't even hit and run a stationary mission contract target with a light lance, enemy bases get turrets and 300-400 hitpoints on their buildings. So even in the early game where you are mostly fighting light mechs that idea's out too unless you give them the sort of cardboard base you have to defend as a target.

Tonnage caps won't sort that kind of underlying problem out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 2, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Tonnage caps would mean you could bring more of them in theory. If a mission was capped at say, 240 tons, you'd get a lot more out of lights and mediums than you do now.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
You may have to wait a month or so for contracts to refresh to get the new contract amounts

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Ongoing trip report: I'm having lots of fun in difficult fights post-patch. I'm running with the salvaged mechs start with no equipment and need four parts to salvage difficulty modifiers. The former is fun, especially when I'm pinching credits by putting equipment I have on hand into the salvage instead of buying optimal loadouts. Four parts to salvage can be frustrating and it's certainly made mid-game grind, but it led to some nail-biter combats. (I am delaying proceeding with Grave Robber right now.)

Mission 1: Retrieval. It was a "warning about underweight lance" mission, 4.5 skulls. My lance was a Jagermech with an AC/20, two Shadowhawks (SRM build/close to stock), and a LRM-boat Centurion. We rolled up on the base where the flash drive was we wanted to grab. Two mechs showed up as sensor blips, both 100 tonners. The first strides forward: an Atlas. Missiles from the second suggested it was a King Crab. I decide to see how a round of fire does, have my PC in the Jager try a called shot to the head ("18% chance") in the hopes of a lucky headshot. A laser hits the head. My next volley sees a lucky SRM hit the head. I opt to try for a pilot kill on the Atlas and succeed after knocking it down and taking out a side torso. Meanwhile, I've moved up the SRMHawk to grab the loot, making him the immediate target for the Crab and the other two mechs rolling up, a Victor and a Banshee.

Cue the Hawks jumping for the evac (which was, of course, on the other side of the Victor). With no JJs on the Jager or Centurion, they're forced to move up. A lucky series of shots on the Victor blows the AC/20 ammo, but it steps forward to melee the Jagermech, blocking my path. We managed to knock it out. For whatever reason, the Crab is underutilizing its AC/20s.

I ended up in a stern chase, backing up where possible with the grounded mechs while the Hawks (in forest on a higher ledge) try to distract the enemy mechs. A surprising amount of fire scatters into the Banshee's CT and I end up using a called AC/20 shot to kill it, leaving the nearly pristine Crab against my whole lance. Even better, it was by this point having heat problems. We were able to take it down. I had plenty of structure damage spread around the mechs but the SRM Hawk was the only one with a missing part, the R Arm. (And yes, I got all three Atlas parts, so I'm one short of salvaging one. The other mechs I had to CT kill.)

Travel to the next mission, a battle mission with a lower skull difficulty which ended up being even tougher. The initial lance was split by a hill, so I sent the SRM Hawk around the side to flank the lone Orion on one side of the hill while the Jager moved to tank fire from the Thunderbolt-5SS. The rest of the initial lance came up on the Jager's flank: a Catapult C1 and a second Orion. The first Orion ran back around the hill, pursued by my SRM Hawk, which was promptly hit by fire from behind by the reinforcement lance (which hadn't shown up on sensors yet). The reinforcements were three Jagers and a Quickdraw. The Jagers savaged my lance from outside sensor range while I struggled to fight off the initial lance and to redeploy away from the reinforcements. Just as I finished the Catapult, leaving those Jagers without a spotter, the Quickdraw came lumbering up around another hill, proving more dangerous as a new spotter than in its own right.

In the end, I managed to draw the Jagers into close combat with my two more intact mechs and won the mission. At battle's end, my lance was savaged:
Jagermech with 110 armor and 244 structure remaining, LA/T blown off and internal damage almost everywhere else. The SRM Hawk took multiple rounds of side/rear fire from the enemy Jagers, who I couldn't find effective cover against, and ended up with 99 armor and 243 structure, with RA/T blown off and lots of internals. Behemoth's Shadowhawk came out best, with 419 armor and 386 structure and only the RA (with no gear) blown off; she and the LRM boat Victor ended the match with melee attacks. The Victor ran out of missiles, had no RA and had internals on the RT but was otherwise pretty solid, with 547 armor and 439 structure left.

I believe the SRM Hawk had 9 CT structure left.

Game is still good.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Tonnage caps would mean you could bring more of them in theory. If a mission was capped at say, 240 tons, you'd get a lot more out of lights and mediums than you do now.

I see your 240 example, and bid 180 tons for a Blackjack/Vindicator lance. Which would be still be better at a hit and run on tanks or empty warehouses than spamming light mechs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I mean you're just making the same arguement I did, if not better by pointing out that Light mechs don't have enough going for them. What could they do to remedy that? Some other possibilities based on the liberties they've already taken:

-Light mechs deploy in a vanguard area ahead of time letting you start missions from a different angle. Maybe camp a convoy destination to finish off a vehicle that escaped your main force for example.

-Light mechs can get closer before being detected.

-Mechs under 30 tons are immune to Sensor Lock.

So a light mech could dart around pecking at range without fear of retaliation from slower mechs. Shorter ranged hitters like Commandos could try and skirt Defenders to attack from an unpredictable angle.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

So what exactly do I need to edit to get more missions per planet? I edited the "Max ContractsperSystem" to 9 for both SimGameConstants.json and SimGameConstants_base.json and I'm still only getting like 1 mission per planet.

Do the breadcrumb metrics do anything? I may have edited those at some point but I can't remember.

quoting this because I am also doing some homebrewing as well

btw, modding in some -tonnage items and some additional heat management options can greatly increase mechbay fiddling hilarity

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
-tonnage items? Like putting helium in your mech to make it lighter?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I completed both variants of Jager after a single 3.5 skull mission (that also had a thunderbolt, multiple LRM Carriers, and a Catapult, plus 2 Cicadas :psyduck: ) and decided to load up the AC one like it's a giant Blackjack, with 4 AC2+s all with Stability up.

:getin:

Holy poo poo, it may be my new favorite mech. Reach out and punch someone in the dick, this thing gets knockdowns for DAYS, It's hilarious. I ended up dropping the MLs to give it JJs, just to max out its line of sight cheese.

So yeah, AC2s are actually pretty handy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panfilo posted:

Usually representations of Endo Steel/Ferro Fibrous Armor, technology that appears further along the timeline that trades space for weight.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Panfilo posted:

There are mods for Ferro Fibrous Armor and Endo Steel which reduce tonnage at the expense of slots.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Panfilo posted:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I want one on my mech

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just finished the SLDF cache mission on my post-patch playthrough. In the salvage screen, after looting 3/3 Awesome parts, I was apparently assigned another 3 Awesome parts, and 8 DHS. The second Awesome sadly did not materialise in my bays, but I have the 8 extra DHS in addition to the ones on the Highlander. I'm not sure if they were on the list of salvage before I hit confirm as apart from a quick look for good +++weapons, I didn't pay much attention to anything after the mech parts. The Black Knight got cored out during the fight, I wonder if I got the DHS from that for some reason? Maybe I should have let the Griffin die too. What happens if you lose the Highlander? Do you still get one intact as a reward?

e: Oh hey I have a Large Pulse Laser in my inventory too, I guess it was from the Black Knight

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Narsham posted:

Game is still good.

Now do that in ironman, and lose a mech three rounds in due to a well placed AC-20. Report back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I just finished the SLDF cache mission on my post-patch playthrough. In the salvage screen, after looting 3/3 Awesome parts, I was apparently assigned another 3 Awesome parts, and 8 DHS. The second Awesome sadly did not materialise in my bays, but I have the 8 extra DHS in addition to the ones on the Highlander. I'm not sure if they were on the list of salvage before I hit confirm as apart from a quick look for good +++weapons, I didn't pay much attention to anything after the mech parts. The Black Knight got cored out during the fight, I wonder if I got the DHS from that for some reason? Maybe I should have let the Griffin die too. What happens if you lose the Highlander? Do you still get one intact as a reward?

e: Oh hey I have a Large Pulse Laser in my inventory too, I guess it was from the Black Knight
Yes, you still get the Highlander as a reward if the first is destroyed. I'll have to remember that and see about getting them blown up so I can salvage their parts on the way out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Now I have to figure out the best use of all these extra DHS. Under consideration so far: 4 PPC Awesome, 3PPC+Gauss Highlander. Wish I had a Stalker right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This game does have the Zeus, so there's no reason to not go full Bozomech.