Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFdu-HcyOx4

xpost from the cursed thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1cR-b0gj0

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

This is generally the case for EMT's. Paramedics would not have transported if they could help it. 20 minutes CPR to no avail and they just stop and pronounce death. Although EMS in the US can be very archaic so who knows.
Either way I'd hate to be the crew who had to deal with such a mess.

it was a lovely situation all round

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

tangy yet delightful posted:

Sewer pit guy was loving dead when his body was recovered. Saying he initially survived the ordeal doesn't tell the correct story. The correct story is on scene EMS/Paramedic(s)/EMTs didn't have the protocols to allow them to pronounce death in this type of incident so had to do CPR until getting to an ER where a MD could call it.

(for anyone who cares)

Did they have to clean out the back of that ambulance with a flamethrower?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the article says the tank was the last one before they released the water into a river so i doubt it was filled with poo

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the article says the tank was the last one before they released the water into a river so i doubt it was filled with poo

The place they released it is also the site of a yacht club so it's probably a safe bet it is reasonably clean. Nonetheless if they couldn't see the guy down there it probably isn't a place you'd want to be.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Hazmat diving is pretty hardcore. The only thing crazier is nuclear diving but there’s some overlap there.

I would swim in a nuclear reactor a thousand times over rather than willingly enter a hog lagoon

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

I would swim in a nuclear reactor a thousand times over rather than willingly enter a hog lagoon

Same, at least you'd possibly see some dope Cherenkov Radiation before you die.

(Cherenkov Radiation looks even better in real life than in pictures, if you get a chance to see it without dying you should.)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

(Cherenkov Radiation looks even better in real life than in pictures, if you get a chance to see it without dying you should.)

Swimming on the top of the core when it is filled to the fuel stack management level is actually not immediately life-threateningly dangerous if you change out of your clothes and shower immediately afterwards. And did not swallow any water.

OSHA is diving down to retrieve your keys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

What picture would you say looks closest to how it is in real life?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Consider a real-life lightsaber, but the origin spot is not very bright in a sense that it is almost white, but not bright, and the blueish hue just keeps going and going until finally dissolving into nothing.

this is fairly close in hue to the real deal, but it does not hover as a ring around the object, but from within the material.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I wonder what would happen if you were to fall into that. I want to see how fast radiation can mutate somebody.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I wonder what would happen if you were to fall into that. I want to see how fast radiation can mutate somebody.

Depends on how deep you go. If you stay at the top you'd probably be fine. If you sink down you die.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Turns out that swimming in a nuclear fuel pool is not that dangerous at all because the radiation doesn't spread far in water.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/29/

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Der Kyhe posted:

Swimming on the top of the core when it is filled to the fuel stack management level is actually not immediately life-threateningly dangerous if you change out of your clothes and shower immediately afterwards. And did not swallow any water.

OSHA is diving down to retrieve your keys.

Apparently it's quite safe!

[edit]
gently caress

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Just don't pick anything up

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Apparently it's quite safe!

[edit]
gently caress

Well, aside from the gunshot wounds.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Turns out that swimming in a nuclear fuel pool is not that dangerous at all because the radiation doesn't spread far in water.

Yes, but only in the ideal conditions. The immediate decontamination procedures are neccessary because there might be hot particles in the water.

Like I said, it is completely possible to swim across the reactor pool if you are very bad at keeping balance as an inspection engineer, while inspecting a routine maintenance. Or the stack loader does a surprise move while changing staff.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's no documented dose of radiation that kills you faster than several days later, so even if diving into a reactor pool was particularly dangerous you would survive just fine until your body begins to rot later

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

BattleMaster posted:

There's no documented dose of radiation that kills you faster than several days later, so even if diving into a reactor pool was particularly dangerous you would survive just fine until your body begins to rot later

That's disappointing. I was hoping acute exposure to extreme amounts would result in somebody exploding or some poo poo.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Warbadger posted:

Well, aside from the gunshot wounds.

Yes but bullets only travel a few feet in water right? so theoretically if you jumped in and maintained a constant depth of 3-4 feet you'd be safe from both.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

That's disappointing. I was hoping acute exposure to extreme amounts would result in somebody exploding or some poo poo.

What you are looking for, are the nuclear weapons.

Nuclear power plant does not have anything that can instantly kill you, or vaporize a body in an explosive manner. Well, at least while using the power of the atom. Go touch live mains at the transformer yard and poo poo happens, but that is just electricity. Or open a wrong service hatch from the turbine system and steam yourself into a Skinner meme, but that's still just steam.

Radiation just deep-cooks your *every* part inside and outside, and it takes the before-mentioned 7 days to die to organ failure or something similar when your entire body has decided to auto-destruct every living cell in your body because of sustained cell damage. That is also why the "living ghosts" happened in the Chernobyl accident.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

You're looking for standing next to a nuclear explosion.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Your body contains several types of cells that have a short life span and constantly need to be replaced. These are mostly in places like the intestines, bone marrow, skin and hair follicles. To produce more of these cells, the body has stem cells that constantly reproduce and create cells that differentiate themselves.

Radiation doesn't do very much to differentiated cells, but it can damage the DNA in stem cells during certain reproductive phases. If the DNA is damaged severely enough to produce chromosomal defects, the reproduction will fail.

If enough stem cells in your body are reproductively killed, you won't notice for a bit of time because you still have a bunch of undamaged differentiated cells in your body. But when those cells die of old age and are not replaced in adequate amounts, you begin to feel it in a lot of cool ways. Your hair can fall out, the villi in your intestines can flatten out, your white blood cell count goes down, etc..

Definitions of cool may vary and nothing that happens involves hulking out or spider powers, but mostly dying of infection

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Radiation injuries are absolutely horrific and you can wind up suffering for years before you die. There have been a couple of cases studies linked here that I read. One suffered almost two years, undergoing numerous amputations of their lower body after a thigh/butt exposure until finally succumbing. There was another guy exposed on his back, who had a giant hole gradually rot into his back exposing bone and muscle until he finally died. It took a whole year.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah, wasnt the elephants foot in Chernobyl something ridiculous like 5 minutes of exposure would give you a dose large enough to kill you in 2 days?

I know even just one minute was a fatal dose, but it took a while. Radiation is hosed.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Speaking of radiation deaths. I'm sure some of you know if the terrible death of Hisashi Ouichi.

quote:

Ouchi received 17 sieverts (sv) of radiation, Shinohara received 10 sv and Yokokawa 3 sv. Ouchi experienced pain, nausea, and breathing difficulties immediately and lost consciousness in the decontamination chamber after vomiting.

:nws:
https://imgur.com/a/JH4hJ

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 1, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Speaking of radiation deaths. I'm sure some of you know if the terrible death of Hisashi Ouichi.

That book is quite a brutal read.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

lol "Ouchi" is a pretty appropriate name

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Holy poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There are doses of radiation that will kill you pretty much instantly -- thousands of Grays and up -- but they are levels that you're only likely to see from a nuclear bomb and they amount to just being hit with so much energy that you're barbecued alive.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

gently caress

Also horrible that they kept him alive for that long afterwords. That's an amazing karyotype

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

He's been brought up before, but you need to point out that he died about THREE MONTHS after receiving that much radiation. And his coworker who also got a massive dose (10 sieverts) died about seven months later.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

an average of 1 chromosome aberration per cell correlates with a full-body dose of about 5 grays and is likely to be deadly

ouchi's chromosomes looked like ground beef

Sagebrush posted:

There are doses of radiation that will kill you pretty much instantly -- thousands of Grays and up -- but they are levels that you're only likely to see from a nuclear bomb and they amount to just being hit with so much energy that you're barbecued alive.

I assume that at that point it's indeterminate if it was the radiation or the heat or shockwave from the blast that killed you

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What nonbomb radioactive thing could have the same effect? I'm sure it's purely hypothetical, but I have faith in the smart people here to find that out.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

The standard picture of ATR is pretty close;

That the glow is coming from the water around the fuel, not the fuel itself, is pretty cool.

I didn't get to see down into the core like that, but when I visited ATR they were in the process of refueling it, and they had some fuel that was about a day out of the reactor in the water pit. That stuff was pretty hot, so there was some good radiation coming off it.

ATR also keeps around a cobalt source so they can show visitors the blue glow on demand (IIRC it was ordered by a medical company that went bankrupt while they were irradiating it, so they now have a radioactive conversation piece).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dog nougat posted:

What nonbomb radioactive thing could have the same effect? I'm sure it's purely hypothetical, but I have faith in the smart people here to find that out.

A solar flare or other major stellar event.

On Earth, I think you might reach those levels of radiation by standing inside the large hadron collider.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Ah, yes, that accident:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

cowtown posted:

Ah, yes, that accident:

i mean, it led to several of the most horrific deaths in human history, but jesus lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Stexils posted:

i mean, it led to several of the most horrific deaths in human history, but jesus lmao

holy wtf is that procedure