Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Man, like nothing you said makes any sense in the context of Bant Spirits. Maybe someone is going to make Spirit Taxes into A Real Deck or something, but that's not what we're talking about.

You're right, cards like Rattlechains, Mauseuleum Wanderer, and Geist of St. Traft are all really bad at picking up swords and a deck that leans heavily on Spell Queller is definitely not happy to have an additional way to spend it's mana turn 3. But yes, please tell me how evasive creatures are bad with equipment and how SFM is awful in Spirits, a deck that plays 4 Cursecatcher effects, because it'll be blown out by your opponent's t3 Kolaghan's Command. But yeah, Bant Spirits is full of superior turn two threats, like Rattlechains or Selfless Spirits. Those cards really get the beat down goin, huh? Or is it that Drogskol Captain is going to be a fantastic t2 play with no other spirits in play? Geist maybe, attacking into a metagame full of one mana 4/5s, 5/5s, and whatever Champion of the Parish happens to be? Like c'mon, Stoneforge is amazing in a Spirits deck. Maybe you cut Collected Company, maybe you don't, but the card lines up incredibly well with the Spirits game plan. Being so dismissive of it doesn't really make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can we just agree that the deck of ghosty bois will probably try SFM independent of whether or not the card turns out to be good in the deck?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
SFM would probably be better in a straight UW Spirits deck than in Bant, and then the question becomes would you rather have CoCo or Swords. I don't know what you cut from the Bant list to squeeze in 4 SFM and a couple of equipment cards that isn't CoCo.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Activating SFM is an instant speed effect and Kolaghan's Command is hardly anywhere in the format. Honestly, even if Kommand takes out SFM and blows up your equipment, you're probably fine with that. It is better to trade one for one against Kommand than to have it blow up a creature and make you discard or have it hit your vial. Passing the turn with the option of Queller or SFM activation is a fantastic place, and with evasion and hexproof, Spirits are fantastic at picking up a sword. I think it's really foolish to think that you wouldn't play SFM in a UW deck that is jam packed with evasive creatures, some of whom also have some form of resilience.

I see KComm all over the place lately between Jund, Mardu Pyro & Grixis Death's Shadow, and I'm sure I'm missing others :shrug:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

No. A tempo deck doesn't want to spend 2 turns and 4 mana to get blown out by a Kolaghan's Command, especially when those 2 turns and 4 mana could cast actual cards and get a better clock out anyway.

maybe i could use my powerful brain to cast the other cards in my hand instead of running batterskull into a spell that my opponent is obviously representing

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

maybe i could use my powerful brain to cast the other cards in my hand instead of running batterskull into a spell that my opponent is obviously representing

You're so close to understanding why the deck doesn't want to play Stoneforge.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think there’s plenty of reason to not just immediately dismiss it and try testing it. Spirits hold Swords really well, have ways to keep KoCo at bay and synergise well with SFM’s tap activation. Having the ability to play Butterskills to give a life buffer on the ground while racing in the air seems significant and I wouldn’t discount it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think there’s plenty of reason to not just immediately dismiss it and try testing it. Spirits hold Swords really well, have ways to keep KoCo at bay and synergise well with SFM’s tap activation. Having the ability to play Butterskills to give a life buffer on the ground while racing in the air seems significant and I wouldn’t discount it.

Probably not want though without stripping out a critical mass of synergies. UW could do it with a taxing strategy but it probably play better in just a W/UW/Esper stoneblade package.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Probably not want though without stripping out a critical mass of synergies. UW could do it with a taxing strategy but it probably play better in just a W/UW/Esper stoneblade package.

You can just cut Company and a few mana dorks and you're good to go.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yeah, I could see it in UW Vial Spirits or Esper. SFM + Lingering Souls is definitely a good combo.

If you cut Company then wtf are you even playing Bant for? That's the entire reason for the green.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, I could see it in UW Vial Spirits or Esper. SFM + Lingering Souls is definitely a good combo.

If you cut Company then wtf are you even playing Bant for? That's the entire reason for the green.

/shrug. Company is just the spitballiest cut. You could also skimp on mana dorks or something, it's really not a big deal. I would assume you're more in green because you don't have many good two drops that you want to actually cast but your three drops are at least decent. T2 Geist in particular seems like a bigger draw compared to Company.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I may only do well with this deck rarely but boy do I love playing it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
DRS and Gitaxian Probe are now banned in Legacy.

SFM is still banned in Modern, so good job everyone who tried to buy them out :lol:

E: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/july-2-2018-banned-restricted-update-2018-07-02

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Good bans imo, wonder what I should replace DRS with in elves.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

The March Hare posted:

I'm running the same calculus. I'm thinking maaaaybe 2 Llanowar, and then 2 silver bullets? Possibly a scooze to have a little bit less of a miserable G1 against yard decks.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ban Leovold too. Or unban DTT.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yeah, I've got md scooze already. Was also thinking like 1-2 llanowar and then... not sure.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Holy poo poo.

So, Legacy chat, I may or may not have Grixis Delver in full, and most of ANT, leading up to this day. ANT will likely survive and move away from using Cabal Therapy as the discard of choice. But can Grixis Delver even exist without these tools? I think it could have survived either ban, but both at once is rough.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The March Hare posted:

:same:

I actually decided to take apart Elves last month for various reasons; one of them was not wanting to deal with what to do when this happened today.

It's unfortunate that a lower tier deck had to take collateral damage, but it was a necessary ban. I don't think this kills elves, but this does basically mean that now you're punting game 1 to Reanimator and Dredge 100% (instead of just like 75%). I was already running 3 Leyline of the Void in the side, I'd up that to 4 and call it good, but I'm glad I'm off this deck now; I hate just going in knowing you're giving up game 1 in certain matches.

Maindeck Ooze might pull off a miracle here and there, but it's not nearly fast enough in a world of turn 2 Elesh Norns.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's unfortunate that a lower tier deck had to take collateral damage, but it was a necessary ban. I don't think this kills elves, but this does basically mean that now you're punting game 1 to Reanimator and Dredge 100% (instead of just like 75%).

I've seen some people suggesting that the damage to us from losing DRS is probably a net positive because probe really hurts us, and everyone is losing DRS. Additionally, if we see a resurgence of Taxes decks, :getin:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Additionally, if we see a resurgence of Taxes decks, :getin:

This is what I play now. A friend was selling out so I bought his collection, which included most of this deck. I found I was enjoying it more since it had a way bigger decision tree. I like having poo poo to do, and I found a lot of Elves games I was just hoping for a good opener and not whiffing when I go for it on Glimpse.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pretty hosed up that wizards would UNJUSTLY punish us simple Death's Shadow mages by banning Gitaxian Probe

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I’m looking forward to RUG Delver being good again.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

standard.deviant posted:

I’m looking forward to RUG Delver being good again.

Bad news,

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I think there's probably a good punishing fire deck lurking in the shadows of this post DRS wasteland. Punishing Fire obviously gets WAY better and you can make do with like, piles of leovolds and baleful strix and maybe a goyf or two

e: actually so does snapcaster mage, which would help that same kind of strategy

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ahahahahaha get poo poo on Oops All Spells. Breakfast Burrito supremacy.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Ahahahahaha get poo poo on Oops All Spells. Breakfast Burrito supremacy.

finally, has the age old question been answered.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I think there's probably a good punishing fire deck lurking in the shadows of this post DRS wasteland. Punishing Fire obviously gets WAY better and you can make do with like, piles of leovolds and baleful strix and maybe a goyf or two

e: actually so does snapcaster mage, which would help that same kind of strategy

RUG delver resurgence incoming.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Good of them to revive Canadian Threshold right after Canada Day

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Yeah, it's called Lands.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I desperately want this to be the case, but it probably isn't :sigh:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is what I play now. A friend was selling out so I bought his collection, which included most of this deck. I found I was enjoying it more since it had a way bigger decision tree. I like having poo poo to do, and I found a lot of Elves games I was just hoping for a good opener and not whiffing when I go for it on Glimpse.

I do not consider myself a good elves player, by a long shot, but a huge part of the challenge of the deck -- and what sets Julian Knab apart from the rest of us -- is understanding what your lines are. Removing DRS from the deck does kill one set of victory lines, but also means we're not having to get into DRS fights with other decks. But, yea, when you get the nutty t2 glimpse draw and they can't force it, then it's a free win. Understanding how to optimally play a hand that's, like, forest, pendelhaven, GSZ, birchlore rangers, heritage druid, elvisish visionary, llanowar elves, in the context of an interactive game where some of your stuff is going to get killed, is playing the deck. We are not Sneak & Show, we can't just mull to a combo hand and then go off and win if they don't have force.

I've only dabbled in taxes, but I find elves to be a much more nuanced and complex deck.

My favorite games are the ones where I get to do something absolutely "terrible" like natural order a dryad arbor into a reclamation sage, and have it be correct and game-winning.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cactrot posted:

Turns out Grixis Delver minus the Deathrites is still better than anything RUG can do.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Man are yall under rating RUG and over rating Grixis

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I do not consider myself a good elves player, by a long shot, but a huge part of the challenge of the deck -- and what sets Julian Knab apart from the rest of us -- is understanding what your lines are. Removing DRS from the deck does kill one set of victory lines, but also means we're not having to get into DRS fights with other decks. But, yea, when you get the nutty t2 glimpse draw and they can't force it, then it's a free win. Understanding how to optimally play a hand that's, like, forest, pendelhaven, GSZ, birchlore rangers, heritage druid, elvisish visionary, llanowar elves, in the context of an interactive game where some of your stuff is going to get killed, is playing the deck. We are not Sneak & Show, we can't just mull to a combo hand and then go off and win if they don't have force.

I've only dabbled in taxes, but I find elves to be a much more nuanced and complex deck.

My favorite games are the ones where I get to do something absolutely "terrible" like natural order a dryad arbor into a reclamation sage, and have it be correct and game-winning.

Oh no doubt, I've had some AMAZING games with Elves. I just feel like there are definitely some games where you're either getting torn apart by discard or just whiff on Glimpse draws, and you just sit there watching the game instead, and those feel really bad. With D&T I feel like every turn every decision I make matters, even when I'm losing (I guess I just lose more slowly, but it feels like I have a chance).

If elves survives in some manner, I'm definitely getting the deck online when I get back on MTGO (I had my gf lock me out of my account for a few months to cool off). I love it and think it's an interesting and skill-testing deck for sure, and perhaps more than most decks really rewards knowing your deck inside and out. I just think it's silly for me to have two paper Legacy decks when I get to play so rarely as it is, and I guess I'm gravitating more toward the D&T style now. Unloading my cradles and stuff let me finish foiling my cube and this past weekend upgrade my 8.0 Ancestral Recall to a 9.0 so my power matches now.

Plus, white looks REALLY pretty when you foil the deck out :3:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, it's called Lands.

i mean an honorable deck playing as Richard Garfield intended: with Force of Wills

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Cactrot posted:

Well on the flip side if punishing jund wasn't dead before (it was) it is now without DRS

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

GOOSE IS LOOSE

Sleeving up RUG Delver tomorrow

:getin:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

gently caress me for not buying volcanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

gently caress me for not buying volcanics

:respek: I dumped my old gaea’s cradle and some extra fetches for two at $350, and I’m really regretting not dumping my grim monoliths and maybe some other junk for at least one more.