Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
RIP my sweet Exalted Greater Daemon of Nurgle and Plague toads.

Well, plague toads still have a real use, but the Exalted is now strictly a worse GUO for 100 more points :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just picked up a Mourngul and it looks less impressive now.

My buddy who converted a War Mammoth is over the moon though.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Black_Nexus posted:

RIP my sweet Exalted Greater Daemon of Nurgle and Plague toads.

Well, plague toads still have a real use, but the Exalted is now strictly a worse GUO for 100 more points :(

I thought toads didn't change?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am glad I didn't go all in on Nighthaunt. Their mortal wound output appears to be getting seriously reduced.

Ima just keep painting the poo poo I have, and wait for other people to figure out the new meta.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Beerdeer posted:

My buddy who converted a War Mammoth is over the moon though.

I just picked up a mammoth and the hype is real.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Injuryprone posted:

I thought toads didn't change?

Their extra save is just on mortal wounds now

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

dexefiend posted:

I am glad I didn't go all in on Nighthaunt. Their mortal wound output appears to be getting seriously reduced.

Why do you say this? Did new rules come out?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Why do you say this? Did new rules come out?

It appears they are changing Frightful Touch to only cause mortal wounds on unmodified 6s, as opposed to the 6+ it was.

This change significantly affects the prior meta of Spirit Hosts and Keldrek.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some insights on the forgeworld stuff.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/29/29th-june-a-monster-update-from-forge-worldfw-homepage-post-1/

Some Art from the new battletomes.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/29/battletome-preview-visions-of-the-mortal-realms/

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm glad the point values for Deepkin in the GHB are actually wrong, per the FAQ. I feel like the turtle has some trouble making an argument for itself at 380, much less 440.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Black_Nexus posted:

Their extra save is just on mortal wounds now

Kill me.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

I’m so glad they’re mixing up their house style. That slightly flat cartoony style they often did, didn’t always work for every subject matter. Loving the hosed up from reforging Stormcast.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I managed to only spend $240 after my 20% discount. Until next week. The box is definitely nice and well put together. Sprues are crazy.

:negative:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

All the big youtube channels have posted reviews of the Nighthaunt and Stormcast battletomes so you can get pretty much all the new rule info you want.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/30/30th-june-the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-open-day-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1/

GW held an AoS open day today with some new models being shown off, like the new Black Coach.

And the full sequitors kit among other things.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Loving the trend of Stormcast with mutton chops

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I love the ghost checking the coffin.

"Yo poo poo is there a dude dude in there?"

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I love the little details on the black coach, like the ghosts carrying the artifacts of the Vampire lord on zombie dragon since it is a vampire in there

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Someone should make some chaos marines out of these.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’m working my way through some EtB kits and the Soul Wars box and all of the Stormcast models have been excellent. They’ve gone together super easily with very few mold lines to clean up.

I wouldn’t want to run a whole army of them just because duplicate poses would annoy me, but it’s great to just push four parts together, weld the seams and be done.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Shout out the the Chaos Dwarf Fortress in the Death Dimension. I am really surprised how much I am liking the lore now they are bothering to actually have a setting.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Shout out the the Chaos Dwarf Fortress in the Death Dimension. I am really surprised how much I am liking the lore now they are bothering to actually have a setting.

I agree, even the simple act of making Nagash a competing big bad with Chaos has added a ton of interesting implications to the setting. Plus bad guys fighting bad guys was always one of the more interesting aspects of the old setting (see: Skaven vs. Nagash round 1, the undead vs chaos, Dark Elves and their complicated relation with Chaos, and Grimgor owning Archaon).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I like that chaos dwarves have a microclimate effect due to their hosed up coal poo poo

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Okay, so I got the General's Handbook to see how to write a list. The book feels somewhat lacking in info, and I encountered a table in the Death sections saying that Nighthaunts can ally with Soulblights and Deadlords. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be information explaining exactly what Soulblights and Deadlords are. Is this in another book? I regret this purchase, which is a shame.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Clawtopsy posted:

Okay, so I got the General's Handbook to see how to write a list. The book feels somewhat lacking in info, and I encountered a table in the Death sections saying that Nighthaunts can ally with Soulblights and Deadlords. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be information explaining exactly what Soulblights and Deadlords are. Is this in another book? I regret this purchase, which is a shame.

Huh, that is odd. Deathlords and Soulblight are two Death subfactions that got consolidated into the Legions of Nagash. The GHB used to show all those subfactions separately. They still exist even, and the phone app will show you them.

Deathlords are the big death boys: Nagash, the 3 Mortarchs (Mannfred, Neferata, Arkhan), and the elite Morghasts
Soulblight are the vampires. Anything that is a vampire, bats, blood knights, vargheists.

I wouldn't write off the whole book for this weird oversight, but its not a mandatory purchase if you're just starting the game imo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I pretty sure it says that Legions of Nagash can use Nighthaunt as Allies.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I believe all the nighthaunt as per the FAQ can just be taken in a Legion of Nagash list (Or any of the 3 sub-legions).

So not allies, just in the list.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I see the issue is the Nighthaunt allying stuff in

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I got the new Sacrosanct Stormcast, but I hate the heads.

Anyone know a good source of knight-looking heads? I've tried searching for historicals, thinking it's the best option. But all I've found is Mirliton Miniatures and they're old school in the fact that they only have drawings of the helms instead of pictures.

I'd like something that doesn't break the bank, as I have ~50 of the bastards to re-helm.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
My understanding is that only a certain portion of your army can be allies - one fifth, right? That means if I go Nagash, I won't be able to take all the cool ghosts I want, but if I go Nighthaunts, I won't be able to take Skeletons or Black Knights at all.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Clawtopsy posted:

My understanding is that only a certain portion of your army can be allies - one fifth, right? That means if I go Nagash, I won't be able to take all the cool ghosts I want, but if I go Nighthaunts, I won't be able to take Skeletons or Black Knights at all.

In the box and on Warhammer Community it says that you can take everything in the box in a Legions of Nagash army and gives the additional entry for matched play.

It'll be the extra things coming out you would have to fit in the allied allowance.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

It depends which ghosts you want. All the Nighthaunts in the Legions tome count as part of Legions, and Soul Wars (and the Nighthaunt codex by the sound of it) have a list of which new Nighthaunt units count as Legions and which don’t. (And would have to be taken as allies.)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That new black coach looks incredible. I'm seriously considering going into Nighthaunts in the future. :ghost:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Magore's Fiends. These were gorgeous models to paint, I thought I didn't like bloodwarriors but now I do.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Booyah- posted:

Magore's Fiends. These were gorgeous models to paint, I thought I didn't like bloodwarriors but now I do.

They came out right as I finished painting 40 Blood Warriors... haven't got around to Magore's Fiends yet.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I built the banshees and the sigmar half of the starter. The banshees can be a bit fiddly but they are incredible models.

The sigmarines are 100% better than Aos1 starter sigmarines.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Booyah- posted:

You did a great job on these.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
New starter sets to replace the old stuff. We have;
  • a new getting started magazine with a unique Knight Incantor, which seems like a real easy way to get a wizard into a Stormcast army.
  • Storm Strike, replacing the Storm of Sigmar mini-set with a collection of the push-fit models and a gaming mat. Available for £25, so probably around $35.
  • Tempest of Souls replaces Thunder and Blood and is about the same setup (all models minus some stuff) and price.

On top of that, the old Age of Sigmar 1st Edition box set is being split into two new Start Collecting sets. Not sure if these replace the old ones - I hope not as no special weapons is a real killer - but it's a way of getting a Korgorath or a Lord-Relictor still.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

New starter sets to replace the old stuff. We have;
  • a new getting started magazine with a unique Knight Incantor, which seems like a real easy way to get a wizard into a Stormcast army.
  • Storm Strike, replacing the Storm of Sigmar mini-set with a collection of the push-fit models and a gaming mat. Available for £25, so probably around $35.
  • Tempest of Souls replaces Thunder and Blood and is about the same setup (all models minus some stuff) and price.

On top of that, the old Age of Sigmar 1st Edition box set is being split into two new Start Collecting sets. Not sure if these replace the old ones - I hope not as no special weapons is a real killer - but it's a way of getting a Korgorath or a Lord-Relictor still.

I really really like them doing that with the old Starter Box. I honestly wish that I could get some of the old 40k starter set minis (Assault on Black Reach being the big one) as well and I hope this is the model for future updates.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
That's all four of the push fit kits released Saturday. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Played my first game of aos with Skaven....good lord do clanrats suck. Used to getting some mileage out of them in fantasy, but were just a liability in my game, unit of 40 was wiped to 6 without much targeting them and with the battleshock. The small units just got wiped before they got in range to do anything.
However...Stormvermin are way better than they were as a unit in fantasy, and fairly cheap. Rat Ogres did some work too, I was sad as I had heard they were kinda garbo in AOS, but they were pretty solid for the points I thought.
Weapon teams are not good without some sort of rule to protect them, all three sniped in the first turn by bows or spells, not much in our terrain collection blocks line of sight, I think this will get better with practice and maybe making some bigger things to hide behind.

I have a ton of questions, but that's good, means I was engaged. Figuring out what is a command ability that requires a cp, and what is just an innate ability of a unit/character was a little confusing. We are both new to AOS so basically kept forgetting our allegiance abilities, and other things, but that will come with time and familiarity.

All in all, it made for a fun sunday afternoon.