Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sf4 was a more technically impressive game to be good at and more high skill, it was just unbelievably boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smash took so long and is using so many staff that BBTag isn't getting streamed at CEO. Good poo poo

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

In Training posted:

Smash took so long and is using so many staff that BBTag isn't getting streamed at CEO. Good poo poo

Ugh, is that what's happening? I don't want to escape from crossing fate!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I don't think bbtag was scheduled though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was a side tourney that TeamSpooky was gonna stream but Spooky was told live that he couldn't show it and he audibly went off for a while before turning the stream off lol. Pretty cool

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

super turbo was at 10am? the gently caress it is the most interesting game on the roster :(

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

It was a side tourney that TeamSpooky was gonna stream but Spooky was told live that he couldn't show it and he audibly went off for a while before turning the stream off lol. Pretty cool

BBtag also had 194 entrants which is more than some of the main stage games got including Guilty Gear.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

We have to make more room for Sm4sh, Melee, Brawl, Smash Bros DS and soon Smash Infinite or whatever the new one's called again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yardbomb posted:

We have to make more room for Sm4sh, Melee, Brawl, Smash Bros DS and soon Smash Infinite or whatever the new one's called again

Ultimate. The last smash ever

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kongming posted:

BBtag also had 194 entrants which is more than some of the main stage games got including Guilty Gear.

Kill smash players

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdahogyJCNI&t=928s

Ultra loving instinct.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kongming posted:

Well BBtag very likely would've been main stage had they announced their release date earlier, it's not really CEO's fault there

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

In Training posted:

Wait really?

That sucks, was really looking forward to seeing the first big tournament for the game. Guess we'll have to wait till Evo then?

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008
BBTAG top 8 will be getting streamed after all. On https://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp2 after Rivals of Aether.

https://twitter.com/Bloo4LYFE/status/1013526941159383041

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ventana posted:

Well BBtag very likely would've been main stage had they announced their release date earlier, it's not really CEO's fault there

? Bbtag's release date was announced like half a year ago

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

lol when the defense is so hype

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MVCI rumors on "Revival" though idk about this Viper/Sodom poo poo people talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0a7xuOb0I

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

In Training posted:

? Bbtag's release date was announced like half a year ago

Looking it up, I guess it was just Europe where it was listed as "summer" until this May and not every region

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

MVCI rumors on "Revival" though idk about this Viper/Sodom poo poo people talking about

I was thinking about them doing this when the fox deal was announced and the X-men can exist in Marvel again. It makes sense. Im sure Disney is embrassed that they were proven wrong and they don't want to lose the loyal Marvel crowd.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RBX posted:

I was thinking about them doing this when the fox deal was announced and the X-men can exist in Marvel again. It makes sense. Im sure Disney is embrassed that they were proven wrong and they don't want to lose the loyal Marvel crowd.

Did Marvel 3 make money its entire run? Otherwise why would Disney care? They are making more money and putting more advertising on mobile phone games than any other videogame product not called "Spider-Man" which is PS4 exclusive.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It doesn't really cost Disney anything to make Marvel games. Capcom takes the hit on everything, disney get to make all the decisions and reap the free profit. At this point its about saving face more than anything.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
FEXL thoughts: I hope they change Double Face, not because it's necessarily broken but because I'm just sick of fighting people with armor all the goddamn time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBX posted:

Xmen could always exist disney just said no. Also fox never got sold to disney it became a huge clusterfuck with comcast and its all up in the air afaik

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Holy poo poo I can't believe Goichi pulled that off.

This man's expression speaks for all of us.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

DLC Inc posted:

I hope so, the game deservingly gets poo poo on a lot but I found it fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they sell a full priced reboot of a marvel a year later again imma not buy it gently caress them. Fix the horseshit you sold last year capcom

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pocket Rumble finally, actually comes out on Switch this week, I have not followed this game at all but I assume it's at least okay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7gAkQ-Q0s

The new Koihime Enbu revision (RyoRaiRai) is priced and dated, it'll be out on July 12 for PS4 and PC, $20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybwhGopOLgo

Weird and probably bad crossover fighter Blade Strangers also has a date, it'll be out August 28 on PS4, Steam and PC:
https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1012399854692126720

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yo man, a Cyclops Wong moment in a modern game. That defense was legit hype. Dude has ice in his veins.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Does dbz and smash take longer than cvs2?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

poe meater posted:

Does dbz and smash take longer than cvs2?

Because I'm sitting at work pointlessly waiting on someone to arrive, I took several games from CEO top 8's to compare equal set lengths (not counting intros). Sets were picked mostly randomly but avoiding long outliers or getting matching scores. Rough time estimates all around but pretty close.

quote:

cvs2 -> 3-1 -> 18:15

sfv -> 3-2 -> 15:07

smash 4 -> 3-2 -> 14:00

dbfz -> 3-1 -> 17:20

tekken 7 -> 3-2 -> 17:40

melee -> 3-2 -> 17:20

Inj2 -> 3-1 -> 9:47

Rev2 -> 3-1 -> 10:00

bbctag -> 3-2 -> 12:47

quote:

dbfz total time: 2:45:00

smash 4 total: 2:31:15

cvs2: 2:02:00

Cvs2 matches are easily much longer than most other games, and Dbfz is looking to take almost the same amount of time. The main thing for Melee/Smash 4 finals taking a while is that they run all ft3's, where Cvs2/Dbfz/Tekken7 only run ft3's for the finals.

It'd probably also help too if Cvs2 had a bracket reset, since dbfz/smash 4 had close matches and resets vs Cvs2 where it was Bas rolling a train as always.

Though I don't really get why Inj2 gets all ft3's when Rev2 does ft3-finals-only when they both seem to take the same amount of time roughly :shrug:

special mention to the single outlier Melee match that was a 3-2 that took 22 minutes

Ventana fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 2, 2018

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

anime was right posted:

sf4 was a more technically impressive game to be good at and more high skill, it was just unbelievably boring

It also looked pretty lovely. V isn't that much better but it is better.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Capcom used to make games so good that they could make like 3 more editions of them and now that make games that are so bad they need to make like 3 more editions of them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ventana posted:

Because I'm sitting at work pointlessly waiting on someone to arrive, I took several games from CEO top 8's to compare equal set lengths (not counting intros). Sets were picked mostly randomly but avoiding long outliers or getting matching scores. Rough time estimates all around but pretty close.

Cvs2 matches are easily much longer than most other games, and Dbfz is looking to take almost the same amount of time. The main thing for Melee/Smash 4 finals taking a while is that they run all ft3's, where Cvs2/Dbfz/Tekken7 only run ft3's for the finals.

It'd probably also help too if Cvs2 had a bracket reset, since dbfz/smash 4 had close matches and resets vs Cvs2 where it was Bas rolling a train as always.

Though I don't really get why Inj2 gets all ft3's when Rev2 does ft3-finals-only when they both seem to take the same amount of time roughly :shrug:

special mention to the single outlier Melee match that was a 3-2 that took 22 minutes

Tekken also somehow goes to the last round on every match.

First to 3 outside of finals only ever makes sense if your round times are incredibly quick and swingy.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Capcom used to make games so good that they could make like 3 more editions of them and now that make games that are so bad they need to make like 3 more editions of them.

it's easy to say this but I think it's pretty fair of me to say that literally 0 capcom fighting games have been "good" on the first try. like people always say "wow third strike is so cool, why did nobody like this at the time" because they don't realize that "third strike" wasn't just a subtitle for the third street fighter game but their third try after the first two were a largely a big mess. like sf5 and mvci launches were a huge disaster but even as far back as alpha 1, the game with like 8 characters, or the JP version of TVC that was full of goofy infintes I feel like capcom has never done very well with a fresh game.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Has there ever been a fighting game that's been good on the first try by any company? I'm legitimately asking this since I've never played like, the original Guilty Gear or whatever. I feel like it would be extremely hard to make a really well built FG without going through a couple revisions.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kongming posted:

Has there ever been a fighting game that's been good on the first try by any company? I'm legitimately asking this since I've never played like, the original Guilty Gear or whatever. I feel like it would be extremely hard to make a really well built FG without going through a couple revisions.

Children of the Atom

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mango sentinel posted:

Tekken also somehow goes to the last round on every match.

First to 3 outside of finals only ever makes sense if your round times are incredibly quick and swingy.

In that CEO top 8, there were 2 2-0's and a 3-0 sets, unless you meant the individual games, but even then most of them went 3-1 (though 3-2's were fairly common, and rarely were there any 3-0's on single games).

Also, SF4 went all ft3's from 2014 to 2015 for most Top 8's at majors (I think cause CPT required that? my memory is fuzzy on old CPT rules). As someone who somewhat enjoyed seeing competitive SF4, it still was not an incredibly quick and swingy game even with fun characters like Makoto.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Kongming posted:

Plenty.

Last Blade 2 is better but LB1 was good by itself.

Breakers is good, and Revenge barely changed anything.

And how can we forget Nitroplus Blasterz which arguably got worse with OP dlc characters.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If only Big Band had been launch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yipes needs to lay off the loving Red Bull.