Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i havent seen one alt right cavalry regiment yet, shameful shameful shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

doing a proper phalanx actually takes some significant group practice

look at how shabby the average police shield-line is

I fought in the SCA for a while and can confirm that ad hoc shield walls crumble in the face of organized attack, whereas trained squads are pretty cool to watch in action

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
if you told me 5 years ago that i'd be discussing the viability of street legionnaires in 2018, i would be excited for the new shadowrun edition

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

The best cavalry are all Ubian auxiliaries, can't expect them to hire just any regular jerks off the street.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Al! posted:

don't need more cars in the crowds imo

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bullfrog posted:

Bear mace is actually less effective against people than regular mace.

Antifascists should use a lot more smoke emitting devices which obscure fash vision. You want to wear down the enemy senses before it ever comes to blows. Use sound, light, flash, smells, smoke, etc.

Can't charge if you can't see

yeah, take a page out of the eurotrash soccer hooligan playbook and bring a bunch of flares

Slugnoid has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Jul 1, 2018

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
goes well with a st pauli shirt too IMO

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

ancient warfare was all about the pushing and shoving close quarters.

It was also about intimidating your enemy before coming to blows.

we need antifascist plumage

but in all honesty

Slugnoid posted:

yeah, take a page out of the eurotrash soccer hooligan playbook and bring a bunch of flares

would work well too, a giant red mass moving towards you

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bullfrog posted:

but in all honesty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sounds like a good way to catch an arson charge to me

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Any kind of military formation takes lots of practice and trust in everyone around you to be half effective. As long as the alt right boys are organizing online, recruiting from multiple states, and filled with paranoia they'll never be able to be effective. There really isn't any need to even organize that kind of stuff in modern urban settings, too many avenues of attack and since these are just street brawls they'll end up in chaotic mass eventually.

Antifa showing up at all is a kick in the balls to these guys, I'm sure those middle aged fat house wives and others who were bused in from out of state are never going to another rally again if they know someone might hurt them. The only way for something like the alt right to lose is demoralizing or scaring them, so long as Antifa shows up ready to fight every time they thin the numbers of the "free speech advocates" more and more.

This is assuming the right as a whole doesn't escalate the conflict beyond Saturday fight clubs at the park sanctioned by cops, but not many are willing to go to prison for pepe for decades. I'm assuming there aren't enough fringe proud boys to push that far for my own sanity.

Can I get a McFlurry?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Al! posted:

sounds like a good way to catch an arson charge to me

america literally sucks

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Bullfrog posted:

but in all honesty

The key to defeating fascism is by bringing back Carthage

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Feldegast42 posted:

The key to defeating fascism is by bringing back Carthage

I'm hoping we go full mystic and embrace Orlanth. Have a bunch of dudes wandering round looking like the sea peoples, have some guys with bronze armour whipping javelins around, getting into boasting fights and then using the head of some long lost fasc ancestor to frighten them away.

Also wasn't the main way of breaking the shield wall (before the advent of really heavy mounted cav) to frighten people until they broke and then cut them down?

Josef bugman has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Jul 1, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I'm hoping we go full mystic and embrace Orlanth. Have a bunch of dudes wandering round looking like the sea peoples, have some guys with bronze armour whipping javelins around, getting into boasting fights and then using the head of some long lost fasc ancestor to frighten them away.

juat whatever you do dont piss off the ducks

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

Eurmal is the god of CSPAM

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Eurmal is the god of CSPAM

If you'd played the new game you would know that that place has now been usurped by Raven.

Al! posted:

juat whatever you do dont piss off the ducks

The correct term is Durulz.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Bullfrog posted:

but in all honesty

Antifascist Plumage

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

If you'd played the new game you would know that that place has now been usurped by Raven.

Wait. What new game is this? Is there a KODP 2?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The correct term is Durulz.

The new game is a prequel actually, and takes place thousands of years before KoDP.
You can tell because the endgame is about getting Elmal adopted as an Orlanthi god

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yes, it's called Six Ages, and is app store only for now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Called Six ages, it is out now on iStore only, but it is so much loving fun.

I had three kids come into fire magic early; one of them became my clan leader and once got so angry at one of my own guys that he turned bright red and almost killed him, another went into the wilderness and absorbed a death that was meant for our god and then exploded half of an enemy clans fortifications and the third married into a different clan, subsequently lost her husband, and began a one woman war against bandits that she burned to death.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Virgin Legionary Shuffle

Chad Jaguar Warrior Stride

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Josef bugman posted:

Also wasn't the main way of breaking the shield wall (before the advent of really heavy mounted cav) to frighten people until they broke and then cut them down?

That or flank them. Up until the kind of cavalry you're thinking of, a shield wall was more or less impervious to frontal assault, so if the wall could be held together and flanks protected, the worst that would happen is a stalemate.

In practice, keeping a shield wall intact was more difficult than it would seem, since there was a highly variable degree of training and experience, and if the wall did break, there was a huge survival advantage to being one of the first to run.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Aztec techniques are also superior for street brawls. Start with a hail of whatever projectile you have, then mid range more projectiles, then outflank the opponent, go in, and start slamming. Also big on noise, with drums and horns and poo poo, and flashy costumes and intimidation. The goal being to get the enemy to back off enough that warriors could get in there and just go to town.

Also, feints and "retreats" designed to get the enemy to chase you right into a place where they get SLAMMED. A pretty typical tactic in the Americas actually, the Western Apache used it to great effect against far larger and better armed opponents.

KiteAuraan has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Jul 2, 2018

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

KiteAuraan posted:

Aztec techniques are also superior for street brawls. Start with a hail of whatever projectile you have, then mid range more projectiles, then outflank the opponent, go in, and start slamming. Also big on noise, with drums and horns and poo poo, and flashy costumes and intimidation. The goal being to get the enemy to back off enough that warriors could get in there and just go to town.

Also, feints and "retreats" designed to get the enemy to chase you right into a place where they get SLAMMED. A pretty typical tactic in the Americas actually, the Western Apache used it to great effect against far larger and better armed opponents.

It's a good thought but we probably should beore concerned with getting consistent uses of the aforementioned smoke/noise/etc than emulating Geronimo. I'm also wondering how possible it would be to use coordinated attacks like that with such an anonymous org with no overarching command structure.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

This would be cool.

I think the main problems that antifascist groups have in a big fight are twofold

1. lack of understanding of the reality of violence (it's messy, risky, wear a helmet, you will take hits, but overall it's the strategy which win the day) and perhaps some of the more casual demonstrators may show up but not be prepared for the idea of a big messy fight. This isn't a problem for the people who are very active, but many new people might not be ready.
2. lack of organized practice and study on a regular basis (most casual people will just be friends who bloc up independently).

idk call me a larper but I think these entire two last years should be a wakeup call for greater numbers of new entrants to radical politics to incorporate more organized study of self-defense and strategy.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

It's a good thought but we probably should beore concerned with getting consistent uses of the aforementioned smoke/noise/etc than emulating Geronimo. I'm also wondering how possible it would be to use coordinated attacks like that with such an anonymous org with no overarching command structure.

yeah, and this is a big thing too. some tactics like the ones you mentioned will simply be more accessible to people and more easy to pick up. and low enough risk.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's a shame your country's unions have been so hosed. A good left wing rally over here usually has a bunch of tough construction worker types built like brick shithouses in full hi-vis and ppe

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
a bike chain in every antifa hand, a laceration on every nazi face

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s the place of regular unarmed civilians with signs? It seems like part of why the nazis failed in Charlottesville was that there were old people and clergy singing and the nazis got confused about what was happening vs the braveheart battle scene they were imagining for themselves.

There’s probably a place for that Greek (?) guy who would go to fights between leftists and cops in a suit with a bicycle and just stand around looking confused while the leftists retreated because he knew the cops would give a wide berth to a square-looking bourgeois guy and wait for him to get out of the way.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

business hammocks posted:

What’s the place of regular unarmed civilians with signs? It seems like part of why the nazis failed in Charlottesville was that there were old people and clergy singing and the nazis got confused about what was happening vs the braveheart battle scene they were imagining for themselves.

There’s probably a place for that Greek (?) guy who would go to fights between leftists and cops in a suit with a bicycle and just stand around looking confused while the leftists retreated because he knew the cops would give a wide berth to a square-looking bourgeois guy and wait for him to get out of the way.

In that case, it most likely interrupts the mental programming involved in social violence. The type of social violence most associated with these rallies is the "group monkey dance"

quote:

The Group Monkey Dance
The Group Monkey Dance (GMD) is a show of group solidarity. There are two levels, at least. In the lowest level an outsider is discouraged from interfering with group business—it is a way of establishing territory.

Families are tight-knit groups. Domestic violence incidents are acts within the group. Sometimes, when the police intervene, both parties turn on them. Even though one was a victim just moments before and in fear for her life, husband and wife, attacker and victim, often band together to drive away the outsiders.

This is behavior that is familiar in chimps and baboons—your tribe will band together to drive away or scare off members of another tribe or a predator. If you don’t play, your loyalty to the group might be questioned.

In the higher level of GMD, the victim is sometimes an outsider but often an insider who is perceived in some way to have betrayed the group. The group bands together in an orgy of violence, possibly beating, burning and cutting on the victim. It is literally a contest to show your loyalty by how much damage you can do to the outsider. Some of the most brutal murders, lynchings, and war atrocities are examples of the Group Monkey Dance.

Source: http://legacy.ymaa.com/articles/violence-dynamics

The fash have othered antifa and have an image in their mind, and they have another image of themselves.

Seeing people that are out of place, or not what they expect very subtly interrupts both those images, which are crucial to their behavior and ability to fight

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KiteAuraan posted:

A club covered in obsidian shards sounds nasty as hell

Also was it the Aztecs that hurled beehives?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

temple posted:

/pol/ is powering a small city with the amount of spin being posted. complete denial of reality. they keep posting some guy punching an antifa.

Was it this one?

https://twitter.com/itsmikebivins/status/1013468096680493056

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

If you want to perform a Heroquest to Cast Out The Fascists you need to reenact the appropriate story of your ancestors.
Everyone dresses up as a WW2 GI w/ plywood garand, and arrives at the protest in boats (on wheels).

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

don't hate antifa because they're beautiful, twitter rando

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Bullfrog posted:

This would be cool.

I think the main problems that antifascist groups have in a big fight are twofold

1. lack of understanding of the reality of violence (it's messy, risky, wear a helmet, you will take hits, but overall it's the strategy which win the day) and perhaps some of the more casual demonstrators may show up but not be prepared for the idea of a big messy fight. This isn't a problem for the people who are very active, but many new people might not be ready.
2. lack of organized practice and study on a regular basis (most casual people will just be friends who bloc up independently).

idk call me a larper but I think these entire two last years should be a wakeup call for greater numbers of new entrants to radical politics to incorporate more organized study of self-defense and strategy.

yeah, and this is a big thing too. some tactics like the ones you mentioned will simply be more accessible to people and more easy to pick up. and low enough risk.

A big chunk of the problems are associated with anarchists. A lot of my fellow anarchists fail to realize that you can have a non-hierarchical ethos, and, when needed and before hand, in situations (like a protest) where it's probably a good idea, use consensus to decide on who should briefly call the shots in that one, limited arena, based on their experience and past successes. But most other anarchists are so afraid of any form of organization beyond the individual that they don't even want to train in martial arts or at the gym together, let alone elect someone to direct a protest.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

i think that's the one. the dude with a white long sleeved shirt. he had arm guards under the shirt.
he was arrested or held here
https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1013247174593765376

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1013554565776539648?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

That's also why the alt-right shield lines usually crumble as soon as they face any kind of antifa that actually wants to fight hard and break them. Even if they don't break, a shield wall requires careful coordination to close gaps and protect everyone's heads from thrown weapons. A bunch of uncoordinated guys lining up with their riot shields and trying to form a line with no training together will leave huge gaps that you can thrust weapons through or even grab onto the shield and pull it away, and they won't cover their heads with anything but helmets at best in case you want to hurl bottles of piss or something more dangerous.

Fighting in a shield wall is also exhausting and a lot of these guys are in terrible shape. I remember with Charlottesville that a lot of the alt-right "warriors" were on the verge of passing out from the hot weather, lack of water, and heavy and hot armor.

new tactic - throw heavy stuff covered in some kinda crazy glue to stick to the shields so they're even heavier and more exhausting for them to lug around