Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'd bet more terrorists have had state support than not. Also, most of the big terrorist groups used to have Russian (well, Soviet) support of one form or another, back when they were killing thousands of people in Italy and the UK and Spain in the '70s and '80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Given how much of Russia's current foreign policy seems to be centered on spreading discord and instability, I can sort of see why one might be tempted to draw the comparison though.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 1, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Proper Kerni ng posted:

How familiar are you with the history of [waves hand over map of the Levant and surrounding regions], because, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boatswain posted:

By describing governments as terrorist groups you dilute the meaning of the latter term to a point of uselessness.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
It’s not just Russia either

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

StandardVC10 posted:

Given how much of Russia's current foreign policy seems to be centered on spreading discord and instability, I can sort of see why one might be tempted to draw the comparison though.

Not to mention the virulent ethno-nationalism, putting homosexuals into camps, annexing by force or threat of force large sections of other sovereign states behind the fog leaf of protecting foreign citizens with a shared ethnicity, sending material aid to like minded political actors in other nation states, at the behest of a charismatic leader with a strong cult of personality...

I don’t know how anyone can look at the modern Russian government and not understand its extreme rightist authoritarian and at least proto-fascist.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Not to mention the virulent ethno-nationalism, putting homosexuals into camps, annexing by force or threat of force large sections of other sovereign states behind the fog leaf of protecting foreign citizens with a shared ethnicity, sending material aid to like minded political actors in other nation states, at the behest of a charismatic leader with a strong cult of personality...

I don’t know how anyone can look at the modern Russian government and not understand its extreme rightist authoritarian and at least proto-fascist.

"No, that's anti-imperialism."

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mortabis posted:

I'd bet more terrorists have had state support than not. Also, most of the big terrorist groups used to have Russian (well, Soviet) support of one form or another, back when they were killing thousands of people in Italy and the UK and Spain in the '70s and '80s.

State-sponsored terrorism is a much more useful term then?

I don't know about the ETA and Die Rote Armee Fraktion, but the Brigate Rosse was not connected to the Soviets or the PCI. Do you have sources for any ETA/RAF-Soviet connection?

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I just think we should be accurate instead of hyperbolic.

For instance it is Kadyrov in Chechnya who are putting homosexuals into camps. Putin is somewhat content with Kadyrov as long as he acts as a check on Chechen separatism and Islamism.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The core thing about the Nazis is the Holocaust, which current Russia does not really seem to be moving towards. Homophobia, aggression, and leader cult is just standard authoritarianism

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
EDIT: got my threads crossed. Airplenz.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 1, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Boatswain posted:

State-sponsored terrorism is a much more useful term then

Still terrorism.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vahakyla posted:

I am not sure what kind of bombs they are fitting here:

Getty Images? Photobombs.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Memento posted:

Still terrorism.

Yes, but I reacted against calling a government a "terrorist group."

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

That F-16 has a bad case of cancer. :ohdear:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mortabis posted:

Did the death squads from Operation Condor count as terrorist groups, or were they freedom fighters like the noble Mujahideen?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

The core thing about the Nazis is the Holocaust, which current Russia does not really seem to be moving towards. Homophobia, aggression, and leader cult is just standard authoritarianism

Look up "Russian World", the whole invading places to ostensibly save ethnic Russians from the local majority angle, and basically half the propaganda put out during the Crimean/Donetsk invasions featuring blonde haired, blue eyed, clean and pure Russian Slavs contrasted with the dirty, degenerate, drug using everyone else. Or what happened to the Tatars in Crimea and ethnic Georgians in the breakaway regions.

They're not exterminating anyone on massive scales yet, but then neither was Hitler for a good long while.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 1, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Boatswain posted:

Yes, but I reacted against calling a government a "terrorist group."

What was the Taliban circa 2001?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

SimonCat posted:

Freedom fighters who liberated Afghanistan from the soviets.

...no wait that was 1989

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Freedom fighters who liberated Afghanistan from the soviets.

...no wait that was 1989

The Taliban were one of a shitload of groups fighting the Soviets in 1989. They got lumped in with the others in broad sweeping categorizations, of course, but it's not like everyone supporting dudes fighting the Soviets supported the Taliban.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Boatswain posted:

For instance it is Kadyrov in Chechnya who are putting homosexuals into camps.

So far Putin just contents himself with making them criminals for having the audacity to exist and letting gangs of vigilantes take care of the rest.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Warbadger posted:

The Taliban were one of a shitload of groups fighting the Soviets in 1989. They got lumped in with the others in broad sweeping categorizations, of course, but it's not like everyone supporting dudes fighting the Soviets supported the Taliban.

The generally accepted year for the foundation of the Taliban is 1994.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

What are the weird things sticking out from the side of the nose just behind the radome?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The big ones are part of the RWR, the little ones on top are an IFF interrogator.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Why does IFF need its own set of antennae?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Different operating frequencies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hauldren Collider posted:

Why does IFF need its own set of antennae?

It can contain a fair amount of information and needs to work outside the band of your search/track/fire control radars. The design of the antenna also determines just how carefully you can pinpoint interrogations rather than blasting out a signal to everyone or interrogating a huge piece of sky such that there’s low fidelity in determining who did or did not respond to your interrogation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought they were backne from all the roids that Viper has been taking.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

I thought they were backne from all the roids that Viper has been taking.

What, you don't think those gains are natural?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
From YF-16 to WhyNotF-16.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

The generally accepted year for the foundation of the Taliban is 1994.

I assumed he meant the Pakistani backed groups that went on to form the Taliban.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

SimonCat posted:

Perhaps you are confusing the Taliban with Al-Qaeda?

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Holy poo poo that's amazing

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Great twitter thread on future USN submarine concepts for THE FUTURE (from back when it seemed like there might be one):

https://twitter.com/saltwatersteve/status/1011252755644764171

The illustrations are amazing. It's like the early days of Seaquest DSV! I had no idea anyone even floated (displaced?) multihull designs for military use.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kesper North posted:

Great twitter thread on future USN submarine concepts for THE FUTURE (from back when it seemed like there might be one):

https://twitter.com/saltwatersteve/status/1011252755644764171

The illustrations are amazing. It's like the early days of Seaquest DSV! I had no idea anyone even floated (displaced?) multihull designs for military use.

The Typhoon class (from the 70's) used multiple hulls, it's part of why they look so wide.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mr. Despair posted:

The Typhoon class (from the 70's) used multiple hulls, it's part of why they look so wide.

It's a very flattering look. :downsrim:

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The early post war Dutch submarines also consisted of multiple (tiny) hulls.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

BadOptics posted:

That F-16 has a bad case of cancer. :ohdear:
It has a Jewish Grandmother and not enough airspace to get any real exercise, of course it's gonna turn into a huge fat gently caress eventually.

SimonCat posted:

Flush with cash for conducting overseas operations thanks to Dubya and the millions of Drug War dollars he sent them?

AlexanderCA posted:

The early post war Dutch submarines also consisted of multiple (tiny) hulls.

:stare: that is completely bonkers, i love it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have a question for the thread. How close were the Soviets to getting the bomb after WWII? How much did the Rosenbergs' efforts assist them? Is there any consensus on these or are there as many differing opinions as there are historians who have studied it?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Flush with cash for conducting overseas operations thanks to Dubya and the millions of Drug War dollars he sent them?

uh yeah that $28 million of wheat really helped

I don't think it even got distributed before 9/11

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Memento posted:

I have a question for the thread. How close were the Soviets to getting the bomb after WWII? How much did the Rosenbergs' efforts assist them? Is there any consensus on these or are there as many differing opinions as there are historians who have studied it?

Theres a lot of different opinions on it even disagreements within those working on the Soviet nuclear weapon program itself. There were other spies that were more useful however.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_and_Ethel_Rosenberg#Soviet_nuclear_program
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venona_project#Julius_and_Ethel_Rosenberg

You can also see the wikipedia pages being edited back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Is the outside also a pressure vessel or does it kind of just hold the easier to build pressure vessels together while not wrecking hydrodynamics?