Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Aethernet posted:

I see people still aren't killing all robots fast enough, or ripping the secret of better jump drives from the void beyond the stars.

There should be a way you can make getting the Prethyorn more likely, though. Perhaps engineering a species to be delicious?

I'm sorry, but I don't really think making my driven assimilator empire commit seppuku in the name of trying to see another crisis really works out. Even if I am a machine empire and I am contributing to the chances of the Contingency show up I am real tired of seeing them. Four crises in a row: three organic empires first. I would be totally cool with it in this game if it was the first or 2nd time. Like - If I had gotten them during my fanatic materialist game as well as my driven assimilator game I would be okay. But I also got them during my Fanatic spiritualist game and my devouring swarm game. It's just loving boring at this point.

In retrospect I should have installed a mod a long time ago, but I had already started my devouring swarm game and this game and was playing them at the same time (the swarm game was MP and this is a solo game).

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

No see you're just not prepared enough. You could be building a great narrative instead of complaining about it on the forums!

Someone was posting about it a couple of pages ago - if there is a robotic FE or even a single synth pop in the galaxy the chances of the Contingency showing up get multiplied by six, and there are other factors too.

I know, I still think they have too much weight. There could be a neigh unreachable materialist empire on the other side of the galaxy from me that I have no interest in fighting and I don't want to have to force myself to murder them for the sake of trying to avoid the most boring of all crises. (I don't actually know if thew other crisis are more interesting because I've never seen them).

Also, the thing I am most upset about was all 4 of my fleets ignoring the defense fleet and attacking the station they couldn't even fire at while they all died. I know it's been rehashed to death in this thread but there has GOT to be some mechanic that allows prioritizing targets. I had to drain all of my sectors of minerals to replace all of the losses.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Making a crisis chooser mod wouldn't be hard, just edit the randomizer event with a choice variable that has a weight of 10000 which you can set in a startup event.

Restart syndrome ends all my games before crisis can hit though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

wiegieman posted:

Making a crisis chooser mod wouldn't be hard, just edit the randomizer event with a choice variable that has a weight of 10000 which you can set in a startup event.

Restart syndrome ends all my games before crisis can hit though.

Yeah not saying it's difficult. There is probably already a mod out there. I'm just griping and whining.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they really should add some kind of tech upgrades to increase purge speed. 15(?) years is way too long. Maybe having landed armies increases the speed by a proportional amount to army strength, idk.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I'm still holding a candle for an end-game crisis choice option in the game configuration window. Default to random, list by their short cryptic names so that there's no meaningful spoilers for new players flipping through the options.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

they really should add some kind of tech upgrades to increase purge speed. 15(?) years is way too long. Maybe having landed armies increases the speed by a proportional amount to army strength, idk.

Set the purge type to exterminate. It takes about 2 years.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

How are u posted:

Hey I bought this on steam sale and have fallen well down into the rabbit hole on my first and only game so far (easiest everything, default Earth Humans, learning the ropes). But, I did select the iron man setting so I could get achievements! However, I see on Steam that I only have 2, but there are tons of others for which I've met the criteria. What gives? The two I have are from the same day...so is it that you have to unlock all achievements in a single play session? Like you can't even load an iron man game?

Definitely does not have to be done in one session. Either you loaded your save with some mods which mess with the game files and disable achievements, or it bugged out :shrug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I still haven't seen the Contingency without forcing the event.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

binge crotching posted:

Set the purge type to exterminate. It takes about 2 years.

Wait, how the gently caress is that not on by default for determined exterminators, I didn't even realize there were different purge types.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I still haven't seen the Contingency without forcing the event.

Stack the chances in your favor: Start as a machine empire, make several other machine empires and force them to spawn in your next game. Add some robot-loving materialist empires for flavor.

This should skew the weighting so bad the Contingency should be basically guaranteed!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got the Nier Automata reference from the determined exterminators.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, how the gently caress is that not on by default for determined exterminators, I didn't even realize there were different purge types.

Because the default gives you energy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bah, I can get my own energy, I need to eliminate the organics sooner rather than later

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So you'd say you're determined?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
So question for people who mod stellaris: are there any tools out there to help with the process? Like anything at all?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

TheCog posted:

So question for people who mod stellaris: are there any tools out there to help with the process? Like anything at all?

Atom text editor. :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Allyn posted:

Definitely does not have to be done in one session. Either you loaded your save with some mods which mess with the game files and disable achievements, or it bugged out :shrug:

Shiiit, I installed a planet and starbase cap raising mod. So, all achievements have to be earned in 100% vanilla game? That's a shame, oh well.

Hey speaking of mods, the 3 linked in the OP look pretty cool, are there any others that people would recommend? Somebody on discord told me that mods removing or changing Federations are great because Federations suck. Now that I have reached the point in my game where I get a Federation invite every 10 seconds (literally) I have come to agree. What's the best way to handle that?

How are u fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 2, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

hobbesmaster posted:

Because the default gives you energy?

As I recall it also gives you massive uprisings since it takes forever to actually wipe them while generating unrest. :shrug:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

isndl posted:

As I recall it also gives you massive uprisings since it takes forever to actually wipe them while generating unrest. :shrug:

It does. The best way to avoid revolts is to set the purge type to exterminate. It takes about two years to kill everyone, but unrest has to be above 50 for three years before a revolt happens.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Atom text editor. :v:

vim running in a virtual machine with shared folders. :colbert:

:imunfunny:

Fake edit: I saw a couple of pages ago a modder was asking about which flags exist. Is there any sort of debug mode available beyond 'pretty print an object into a dialog box'?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
In seriousness, I find Atom useful because it has really good multi-file search for exactly this sort of "what is available" question. I keep a copy of all the game's text files open as a project folder so I can search for likely modifier names. That's literally the best resource for what kinds of things can be done in those files, ime.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How do you all get so many megastructures. Do you play on larger maps? I rarely get more than repaired ones plus habs and gates. I'd rather build more fleets and declare more wars. Payoff is so slow on stuff like Dyson spheres.

Also I have decided my favorite flavor of war crime committer is devouring swarm. Dat early ramp up is without peer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

How do you all get so many megastructures. Do you play on larger maps? I rarely get more than repaired ones plus habs and gates. I'd rather build more fleets and declare more wars. Payoff is so slow on stuff like Dyson spheres.

Also I have decided my favorite flavor of war crime committer is devouring swarm. Dat early ramp up is without peer.

I usually get one galactic wonder, if that, unless I'm doing it for roleplay reasons.

This game, though, I've been blocked in 100% by Mauraders the entire game. I have exactly eight systems I can reach with constructors and fleets, unless I'm willing to take on the horde.

It's 2305. I have 9 habs and need one more tradition to get Galactic Wonders; my first will be a dyson sphere so I can convert all my starbases to anchorages and my energy habs to science. I'll probably have all the wonders by time this run is over.

Edit: I just got the subspace jump tech for my science ships (I had been avoiding it until it was the cheapest option) and jumped to the curator system. Literally the first black hole I visited, and I got the Horizon Signal.

The worm loves me, yes it does.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 2, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

When you're playing a pacifist empire you aren't constantly burning minerals rebuilding fleets so you might as well build more megastructures.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

binge crotching posted:

It does. The best way to avoid revolts is to set the purge type to exterminate. It takes about two years to kill everyone, but unrest has to be above 50 for three years before a revolt happens.

This is why it annoys me when I get unrest popups (which pause the game and need to be clicked away) on planets where everyone is set to Exterminate. I don't care it doesn't matter, I'm fanatic purifier I don't care what the xenos think!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Larger maps, and the various perks and such that increase megastructure build speed REALLY increase megastructure build speed. Like, Dyson Sphere stages in 4 years time or so fast. Once you've hit endgame if you're not going to quit until you conquer the galaxy then you'll probably have plenty of time to build multiple.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How are u posted:

Now that I have reached the point in my game where I get a Federation invite every 10 seconds (literally) I have come to agree. What's the best way to handle that?

Commit some genocide. No more invites.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Black Pants posted:

This is why it annoys me when I get unrest popups (which pause the game and need to be clicked away) on planets where everyone is set to Exterminate. I don't care it doesn't matter, I'm fanatic purifier I don't care what the xenos think!

My read on this was always that the unrest on a planet being so high means that you don’t actually have control of the situation on the ground (think full-out insurgency).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I always transfer most of the pops to other planets where their unrest is meaningless.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Dreissi posted:

My read on this was always that the unrest on a planet being so high means that you don’t actually have control of the situation on the ground (think full-out insurgency).

High unrest happens with Machine Empires too when you've got people hooked up as batteries - It's basically Neo and his gang trying to break free of the system - if you're exterminating them it's the underground resistance fighting back.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Goffer posted:

High unrest happens with Machine Empires too when you've got people hooked up as batteries - It's basically Neo and his gang trying to break free of the system - if you're exterminating them it's the underground resistance fighting back.
I've not played murderbots, only friendbots, so I don't know if there's a full matrix event chain that can spawn. But there should be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The end result would be that you lose maybe 1 power production because a few milion batteries get unplugged and maybe a squad of patrol drones gets destroyed and rebuilds itself afterwards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think I'm fine with literally every other piece of sci-fi with killer robots or otherwise being referenced without the matrix in there too

poo poo there's even a mass effect 2 reference as a gestalt consciousness machine empire(capturing robot pops and having them join the gestalt consciousness has the flavor text "assuming direct control")

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Unrest already is meaningless with Exterminate purge type, because they'll be gone long before they can do anything. That's why it's annoying that I get popups for them. My lack of control is not going to stop them being systematically exterminated, and as a Fanatic Purifier I shouldn't care that they are having ethos shifts due to unrest. It just pauses my game at random.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

I think I'm fine with literally every other piece of sci-fi with killer robots or otherwise being referenced without the matrix in there too
It's already there with the whole human batteries thing.

Unless they're, like, throwing humans into a furnace or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Black Pants posted:

Unrest already is meaningless with Exterminate purge type, because they'll be gone long before they can do anything. That's why it's annoying that I get popups for them. My lack of control is not going to stop them being systematically exterminated, and as a Fanatic Purifier I shouldn't care that they are having ethos shifts due to unrest. It just pauses my game at random.

If it bugs you that much, just click the unrest lowering planet edict.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Black Pants posted:

If you have exterminate set as the purge type, you shouldn't ever see any unrest events unless you conquer a planet that was already full of unrest.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

The "grid amalgamation" setting is literally called "matrix" in the files

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Picked this up a few days ago, went back after a few hours with it and got all the dlc.

It seems other empires do not like it when you blow up planets. Makes me want to blow up THEIR planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Picked this up a few days ago, went back after a few hours with it and got all the dlc.

It seems other empires do not like it when you blow up planets. Makes me want to blow up THEIR planets.

Haha it's really amazing just how quickly the galaxy turns on you if you murder billions of people.