Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Tumble posted:

It's still retarded advice though because getting healthy is about changing your relationship with food entirely, not saying "actually just count calories and still eat garbage"

If you're trying to lose a few vanity pounds just so you can look better for the summer then you don't have as much of a problem that you need to change. If you are 75+ pounds overweight then you need to be eating healthier and exercising and that won't happen if major changes aren't made.

Nobody that's 250+ pounds is going to be able to control themselves by eating "the right amount" of McDonald's, they need to reboot their habits and eat some healthy filling salads regularly. And I don't mean just lettuce, I mean like some nice grilled chicken thighs, some crumbled blue cheese, some bacon... you can eat tasty things and loose weight, but you need to be aware of your diet goals and try to satiate yourself in a way that will allow you to stay on track with your goals.

"Calories in, calories out" is treated as gospel but it's incomplete advice and that's just as harmful as inaccurate advice. There is a LOT of evidence now showing that certain kinds of diets work better than others, it is not as simple as CICO anymore.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/

Yeah, it's not that it's wrong, it's just that nobody can reliably compute the CO part of the equation unless the subject lives in some kind of infrared measuring chamber 24/7.

People who refuse to acknowledge any discussion outside of CICO must be so baffled by the notion that what kind of calorie source you eat can affect how you feel, and that how you feel can in turn change your actions, and indeed even your likelihood of remembering what your goals are supposed to be at a given time of day.

Blaise330 posted:

If you're going to weigh yourself every single day, which is something I don't recommend but I can't outright say its wrong to, please keep your emotions in check. You're going to randomly be up like 4 or more pounds sometimes and the urge to freak out is strong. Don't worry, you didn't literally grow back your fat in a day.

The difficulty is feeling like you were making progress and then when it jumps back up it's like "maybe for all that effort I was still having neutral CICO and getting gradually more dehydrated until I drank more water yesterday and didn't spend as much time in the heat and returned to my 'true' weight."

But you're right, each day you either took a step forward or a step backward, and it may only take the one cookie or beer on top of normal eating to turn a slightly forward day into a slightly backward day, and bargaining with the scale has nothing on the underlying habits.

Anyway, I stared reading a book called The Hungry Brain, and it describes an experiment from 1965 where they created a bland nutrient liquid that came out of a machine, 7.4mL at a time, at the press of a button.

quote:

Volunteers were given access to the machine and allowed to consume as much of the liquid diet as they wanted but no other food...
The researchers first fed two lean people using the machine--one for sixteen days and the other for nine. Without requiring any guidance, both lean volunteers consumed their typical calorie intake and maintained a stable weight during this period. Next, the researchers did the same experiment with two "grossly obese" volunteers weighing approximately four hundred pounds [lol only 400] Again, they were asked to "obtain food from the machine whenever hungry." Over the course of the first eighteen days, the first (male) volunteer consumed a meager 275 calories per day--less than 10 percent of his usual calorie intake. The second (female) volunteer consumed a ridiculously low 144 calories per day over the course of twelve days, losing twenty-three pounds. The investigators remarked that an additional three volunteers with obesity "showed a similar inhibition of calorie intake when fed by machines."

The first volunteer continued eating bland food from the machine for a total of seventy days, losing approximately seventy pounds. After that, he was sent home with the formula and instructed to drink 400 calories of it per day, which he did for an additional 185 days, after which he had lost two hundred pounds--precisely half his body weight. The researchers remarked that "during this time weight was steadily lost and the patient never complained of hunger."

They legit stopped getting hungry as soon as food stopped being fun and delicious. The book so far has been about how the gut sends hardwired signals that trigger the ventral thalamus to release dopamine when there's an excess in, and that in turn causes the brain to learn that the sight, odor, and texture of whatever food caused it is especially worthy of pursuit, and the lower decision making system prioritizes motivations and actions that get you to those sights, odors, and textures. That is to say, it creates a higher baseline probability of generating a hunger sensation in response to any unmet need simply because eating is so good, if you eat what I'll call "spiky foods," or foods that produce spikes in glucose which are detected in the small intestine. So if you make food less distinguishable and more balanced, the sensation of hunger and action of eating stop being a cheat code (or perhaps "W+M1" in a low-skill video game scenario) for the system that is trying to unlock that dopamine.

Here's another anecdote which I think is more interesting than the "Twinkie diet."

quote:

In 2010, Chris Voigt, the director of the Washington State Potato Commission, decided to eat nothing bu potatoes and a small amount of cooking oil for sixty days. Voigt was protesting a decision by the federal Women, Infants, and Children food assistance program to remove potatoes from the list of vegetables it will pay for. Voigt contended, correctly, that potatoes are actually quite nutritious--in fact, one of the few foods that provide a broad enough complement of nutrients to sustain a human in good health for months at a time.* He documented his journey on a Web site titled 20 Potatoes a Day, which refers to the number of potatoes he would have to eat in order to maintain his weight. Voigt signed himself up for two months of a starchy, bland, repetitive diet.

Despite Voigt's goal not to lose weight, the pounds melted off. He lost twenty-one pounds over the sixty-day period, much of it from his waistline. According to physical examinations before and after, his blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels improved considerably. He had trouble eating enough to meet his energy needs because he simply wasn't hungry. While we may be tempted to question the veracity of a person whose job involves promoting potatoes, Voigt's experiment triggered an avalanche of Internet copycats who used the "potato diet" for rapid weight loss. Although anecdotal, their reports suggest that eating this bland, repetitive diet does indeed reduce spontaneous calorie intake without provoking hunger.**

* The main nutritional limitation of potatoes is their lack of vitamins A and B12. Night blindness due to vitamin A deficiency was common among the poor in Ireland immediately prior to the potato famine. However, the liver stores vitamins A and B12 in large quantity, so we can survive without them for a few months at a time.
** Potatoes are one of the most quickly digested starches, meaning they raise blood sugar quickly and therefore have a high glycemic index. The effectiveness of the potato diet for fat loss is hard to reconcile with the popular belief that swings in blood glucose caused by eating quickly digested starchy foods are a major cause of hunger and overeating. Despite its pervasiveness in the scientific literatur and the popular media, this idea has never had much compelling evidence to support it.

So Huel minus added flavor might be a good route for some people, if they can really remove all other options from the table.

I can't help but think that only having liquid food might give you bad shits, but by the time it's in the intestines I can't say with confidence that it's different from drinking water and chewing down normal food.

I went to the salad cafe today, and it felt great to have just vegetables and tofu with a sesame dressing, but I was hungry again by the time I got back to my office by walking. I had a banana and a bottle of water and I'm still hungry. I'll just have protein powder, but it's vanilla ice cream flavor so I'm going to pursue something blander in the future and see how that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Aspartame is fine and IIRC most of the studies saying it was carcinogenic used massive doses and turned out to be mostly funded by BIG SUGAR

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I lowkey love aspartame. Fresca is the poo poo.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
^ Fresca is indeed wonderful

A Spider Covets posted:

In the end though, everyone is different and different strategies are going to work for different people. If what you're doing works, you're healthy and you're losing weight, it can't be all that bad, unless your doctor says otherwise and your insane diet has given you Cancer 2, the sequel to cancer.

Really it comes down to this and nothing else. If you're serious about losing weight there's no shortage of information out there and you'll find the lifestyle change that works best for you and is easiest to stick with. No need for vegan vs keto wars or any of that nonsense. For me the best method is eating two big meals at 11 and 4 and nothing else, it's what I've been seeing the most consistent results with. Trying to eat three tiny meals and a couple of snacks at the same calorie limit always just left me starving and took more time to prep and cook.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 28, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Aspartame tastes disgusting to me. Give me that sweet, sweet sucralose.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I've been trying to lose weight the past month because I'm a fat gently caress. My strategy is eating nothing during the day (except a big cup of coffee) and then something tasty but under 500 calories, an hour after that I eat a huge bowl of broccoli and then a cup of oatmeal for dessert (pat of butter, two teaspoons of brown sugar).

The hunger has been surprisingly easy to handle, I get voracious around dinner dinner when I smell the food but don't really get hungry during the day. I'm also avoiding carb rich food such as pasta, rice or bread altogether so that 500 calorie meal can go a long ways.

btw: if you tap water tastes like poo poo buy a filter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2DZR8...1530220887&sr=2 Something like this, makes your nasty tap water taste really drat good.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Just bought some cottage cheese. What can o do with it to make a meal.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nooneofconsequence posted:

Aspartame tastes disgusting to me. Give me that sweet, sweet sucralose.
Erythritol, bitches

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Piggy Smalls posted:

eat it str8 because cottage cheese is lit

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you technically CAN out train a bad diet, but it takes about 10+ hours of hard efforts to do so

you will be stronger, but imagine how much stronger you would be with a managed diet

why not split the difference? live a little, but also eat your greens and party in moderation.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Eat everything in sight, lift heavy weights, get strong. Then add in conditioning and lose the fat fast.

Then eat like an adult

Kak fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 29, 2018

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Piggy Smalls posted:

add pepper

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knight posted:

add pepper
and diced tomatoes and fresh basil. it's like caprese except a bit more like the consistency of diarrhea

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Piggy Smalls posted:

Add ephedrine

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
cottage cheese loving owns

It's great on bread

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
cottage cheese is amazingly good, but holy gently caress is it expensive

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

:gonk:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

man that sounds really good

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
The texture of cottage cheese makes me want to barf. Its like someone chewed up provolone and spit it back into a tub.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

bradzilla posted:

man that sounds really good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i will go to town on a tub of plain cottage cheese any day of the week

texture is whack but it's so delicious

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I drink 1000 calories of beer almost every day so under those conditions I really gotta take my exercise and fasting all the way. I'm on the fast track to SUCCESS!!

Play fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 29, 2018

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

runupon cracker posted:

Where are you that cottage cheese is expensive?

Anyway I just eat a full cup of it straight with black pepper and some sliced tomatoes and maybe some steamed broccoli on the side.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

runupon cracker posted:

make your own

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

I did that by accident one time when I took milk out of the fridge and forgot to put it back for a couple of days.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PYF has the hot new weightloss plan.

Tunicate posted:

It's a bit washed out. Let's apply a little HDR

The General posted:

Good news, I have sworn off food forever.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
God loving drat that is gross

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

What the hell did he do to make it look like that? :psyduck:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I started doing IF keto on Monday and I keep waiting for it to get difficult but so far it's been loving easy and I've lost 14 pounds

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Spider Covets posted:

What the hell did he do to make it look like that? :psyduck:

Turkey burgers. In the microwave.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Kak posted:

Eat everything in sight, lift heavy weights, get strong. Then add in conditioning and lose the fat fast.

Then eat like an adult

client
Aug 19, 2010

i dont think ive ever seen the non-frogtech version. how does this happen?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

client posted:

this:

Kak posted:

Then eat like an adult
except mostly the first thing and not enough of the other things i.e. what I expect goons to do when reading advice like this

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

client posted:

He ate nothing but chicken and rice tv dinners and didn't really lift at all except a poo poo load of shoulder shrugs apparently

client
Aug 19, 2010

Kak posted:

He ate nothing but chicken and rice tv dinners and didn't really lift at all except a poo poo load of shoulder shrugs apparently

lmao that actually rules

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I lost a bunch of weight walking. Go for a walk. Get a job that requires you to walk, like a warehouse or an urban postal route (though Newman was always fat). Get around 10 miles a day in and you'll be dropping weight soon enough. Take care of your goddamn feet though, either let them callous or prepare with blister prevention. Drink water, walk it off.

Also smoke tons of weed.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/08/marijuana-slims-pot-smoking-linked-to-lower-body-weight/

Yeah, that's right. Munchies were a goddamn lie.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
drank a shitload of booze today, calorie intake is uhhh.... suboptimal

I've had 12 glasses of water since getting home and now I'm staying awake just cause I'm going to be pissing for the next twenty years

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Facebook Aunt posted:

PYF has the hot new weightloss plan.

It’s like I’m watching embryos being cloned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer