Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The one who can make ancient Egyptian dick jokes all day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

1stGear posted:

heck I'm starting to think being a slave is just a real raw deal in general

There was actually some instances were egyptians not only sold themselves into slavery but paid a monthly fee in order to remain slaves. They became temple slaves because that protected them against forced hard labor such as digging canals.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

There was actually some instances were egyptians not only sold themselves into slavery but paid a monthly fee in order to remain slaves. They became temple slaves because that protected them against forced hard labor such as digging canals.

Southern conservatives, in the vein of cat worshiping weirdos: there's so much we can learn from these ancient peoples

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

See also people buying their way into Ottoman beauracratic slavery so as to avoid other social obligations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Samovar posted:

See also people buying their way into Ottoman beauracratic slavery so as to avoid other social obligations.

There are still people willing to pay good money to be someone's ottoman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In a lot of the ancient world, while chattel slavery did exist, slavery was often more or less an employment contract.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Free food and free housing seems like a sweet deal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Except it wasn't free.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In a lot of the ancient world, while chattel slavery did exist, slavery was often more or less an employment contract.

Contracts are usually done willingly and not under duress

RagnarokAngel posted:

Idiot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eventually one of the pharaohs got tired of not being able to force people to do stuff and closed the loophole

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did they call it slavery then? I don't know the ancient Egyptian word for slavery or if they even had one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Alhazred posted:

Except it wasn't free.

What? Really?! Why I'd say I've been lied to!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fo3 posted:

Contracts are usually done willingly and not under duress

Nowadays, maybe? And I'm not even necessarily sure about that. But obviously not with the hard-won protections we associate with employment nowadays. (which are still under attack by people who'd love the old ways to come back)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did they call it slavery then? I don't know the ancient Egyptian word for slavery or if they even had one.

The word slave comes from medieval times, based on the Slavic culture. Because Slavs were the "A+++ would force into servitude again" people of choice their name just became synonymous with the practice.

Not sure what the Egyptians called them. Vikings called them thralls.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nowadays, maybe? And I'm not even necessarily sure about that. But obviously not with the hard-won protections we associate with employment nowadays. (which are still under attack by people who'd love the old ways to come back)

If anything workers in ancient Egypt probably had more rights than workers in USA today (they had the right to paid sick leave, a minimum wage, the state provided health care for them and their families and they could go on strike without risking losing their jobs).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Azhais posted:

The word slave comes from medieval times, based on the Slavic culture. Because Slavs were the "A+++ would force into servitude again" people of choice their name just became synonymous with the practice.

Not sure what the Egyptians called them. Vikings called them thralls.

It is thought that Finnish orja, "slave", is cognate with "Aryan", i.e. speakers of Proto-Indo-Iranian who seem to have been the slaves of choice for Proto-Uralic speakers 4-5,000 years ago. Same with Sanskrit dāsa which also means "slave" and probably derives from the "Dasa" or "Daha", a people that lived in the ancient regions of Bactria and Margiana which today are mainly covered by eastern Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and northern Afghanistan.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Slavery also wasn't necessarily the chattel slavery we think of in America. Sometimes it was better, sometimes it was worse. I read that in ancient Mali slaves were considered part of the household and would sometimes marry into the family. It was less actual ownership and more a lower caste that lived in the same place and took care of the menial stuff. But because of marriages it was hard to tell where the line was. If memory serves on that case it was considered very bad form to treat your slaves badly so life was ok for them.

In other places there were more like castes than direct ownership. Serfdom was also almost slavery but not really. The serfs were considered part of the land and the lord owned the land. However the serfs were not directly owned so they mostly did as they pleased so long as they didn't move away, paid grain up the chain, and provided dudes for the garrisons and levies.

Of course other times you'd have people being viewed as livestock and treated about as well. Depended on where and when you go what the details are.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Then you have stuff like Mamluk Egypt where foreign slave warriors became the ruling class.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Then you have stuff like Mamluk Egypt where foreign slave warriors became the ruling class.
You have to tell us that story.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PMush Perfect posted:

You have to tell us that story.

It pretty much played out like the unsullied in GoT, lasted for 250 years, then as per usual in that part of the world, the Ottomans ruined everything

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Samovar posted:

Now I may not be remembering this right, but the Ottoman bureaucracy was staffed with slaves for the same reasons as eunuchs were used elsewhere--to prevent consolidation of power along family lines.

It was a clever system, because in order to rise through the ranks, you had to convert. Your children would be raised Muslim, and therefor unable to be enslaved. So, the occasional ambitious parent would try to arrange to have his child snuck in with a new crop of slaves.

Again, as far as I can recall.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The Ottomans also had something similar to the Mamluk shenanigans in the Janissaries. They were exclusively kidnapped Christian boys forced to convert to Islam and forced into elite fighting units. While they were actually slaves they got paid well and had comfortable lives, as far as somebody paid to go fight possibly can. As the Ottoman army grew so did the Janissaries. At times they'd realize not only how important they were but how much rear end they kicked and had a tendency to throw the occasional revolt.

Later, when they weren't exclusively slaves, people would use money or influence to get their family members in to take advantage of the fact that they got drat good salaries for the time. While the Janissaries themselves were forbidden from getting married, learning a trade, or becoming merchants, well...there wasn't actually anything against them just...kind of funneling money to their families nearby. Early on when they were slaves that couldn't get married that couldn't be an issue but once locals wanted in on the party poo poo changed.

As for the Mamluk the first time they took over a crusade kind of kicked it off. Frankish forces landed in Egypt and hosed poo poo up so bad the sultan had dozens of commanders hanged. He died, somebody else took over, then that guy died, and his favorite wife took over. At that point her and the Mamluk basically went "gently caress everybody else, we're in charge now." Unfortunately people didn't like the idea of a woman being in charge so she married a Mamluk commander. He got the poo poo murdered out of him so a bunch of poo poo went down and yet another Mamluk took control of the place.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Jul 3, 2018

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

In ancient Rome, there were physicians that were slaves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Educated slaves were in high demand as teachers, physicians and other household roles.

A former slave who eventually earned enough money to buy his freedom, and start his own household and own slaves of his own, was pretty much the standard Roman rags-to-riches success story.

Of course, iirc mining on the other hand was basically where you sold slaves you didn't like to be worked to death.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course, iirc mining on the other hand was basically where you sold slaves you didn't like to be worked to death.

It was also used as punishment. If you went into the mines you didn't come back out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Educated slaves were in high demand as teachers, physicians and other household roles.

A former slave who eventually earned enough money to buy his freedom, and start his own household and own slaves of his own, was pretty much the standard Roman rags-to-riches success story.

This is also where we accidentally got the Phrygian cap as a symbol of freedom (think revolutionary France).

When a Roman slave was freed, he had his head ceremonially shaved and was given a conical felt hat called a pileus to symbolize that he was now a freedman. Later historians mixed this up with the similar Anatolian Phrygian cap and turned the wrong hat into a revolutionary garment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Still works symbolically!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is the oldest surviving globe (or earth apple as it were known then):

It was made by Martin Behaim in 1492. Unfortunately for him it was rendered completely obsolete the next year when Columbus returned from his voyage.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I wondered what he put where the Americas are:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you ever go on Jeopardy! (which a lot of goons have) remember that America is a misnomer. Some mapmaker named https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci named the whole continent, err both continents

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How does that make it a misnomer,

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jul 4, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kassad posted:

I wondered what he put where the Americas are:

Water.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/pygmyking/status/1013733724809199616

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Alhazred posted:

Except it wasn't free.

"Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go, I owe my soul to the company store."

GE used that song (cut off before that line, obviously) in a coal ad a few years ago. If we could only hook up a generator to Tenessee Ernie Ford spinning in his grave...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

If you like that, you’ll like this:

NSFW:
http://boredomtherapy.com/middle-ages-illustrations/

I had no idea people in the middle ages had such a weird and dirty sense of humor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ChocNitty posted:

If you like that, you’ll like this:

NSFW:
http://boredomtherapy.com/middle-ages-illustrations/

I had no idea people in the middle ages had such a weird and dirty sense of humor.

Why wouldn't they?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The oldest recorded joke is a dick joke, and the Greeks(?) hosed a birth-control plant into extinction, of course we've always been weird and horny.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As a teenager my parents probably had to play the "find something he hasn't tried to stick his dick in" game when navigating through my bedroom. Couple that with a shorter life expectancy and no internet to waste time with and I'm surprised there isn't more lewd art from those days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

The oldest recorded joke is a dick joke, and the Greeks(?) hosed a birth-control plant into extinction, of course we've always been weird and horny.

Romans, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

I thought it was that young wife fart joke. What's the dick joke?