Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

The lesson here is: if you have a state fuel company you don't make its pricing policy based on the international price of crude oil, why the gently caress you would if its basic purpose is to provide the best prices possible to the population?

(Brazilian elite rich idiots talk a lot about capitalism but they suck at it)
No. You do it like Mexico with PEMEX, you keep raising gas prices until it is at a level that foreign companies can step in and exploit the market without the population going up in arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

rgocs posted:

No. You do it like Mexico with PEMEX, you keep raising gas prices until it is at a level that foreign companies can step in and exploit the market without the population going up in arms.

Painfully true.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Come Thursday, no negativity is welcomed in this thread until the World Cup is over. Unless, of course, your team is disqualified by a bullshit penalty in the 94th minute, that kind of negativity is ok.

We need this guys. We really need a World Cup right about now.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
7x1 was an inside job :tinfoil:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Freezer posted:

Come Thursday, no negativity is welcomed in this thread until the World Cup is over.

so no posts at all, got it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If we're lucky Argentinians will be able to post a lot after this next match. :smug:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

quote:

Honestly everytime I see new posts in this thread my gut reaction is to wonder what awful new thing has happened.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Honestly everytime I see new posts in this thread my gut reaction is to wonder what awful new thing has happened.

Well the civil unrest in Nicaragua is continuing a seemingly endless downward spiral. Hard to tell where that situation is going to lead.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Squalid posted:

Well the civil unrest in Nicaragua is continuing a seemingly endless downward spiral. Hard to tell where that situation is going to lead.

My nephew was there volunteering but they ended the program. He crashed with us Costa Rica for a week before heading back to Europe. So it would have been about 3 weeks ago that he was last there and things seemed pretty hosed form his telling. Super sad about this.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I've been playing around with the idea of starting a Brazil elections thread but I'm not sure if I hate myself enough to do it.

ZearothK posted:

same

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

I've been playing around with the idea of starting a Brazil elections thread but I'm not sure if I hate myself enough to do it.

same

Are you prepared to answer the question “which ones are the Democrats and which ones are the Republicans?” a hundred times?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

same

I wanna make one on cspam but only when they decide or not if Lula is running

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is Nicaragua and Ortega good or bad?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

ZearothK posted:

In 10 days you can expect a bunch of posts about the Mexican presidential elections.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

bagual posted:

7x1 was an inside job :tinfoil:

7x1 was karma.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Ok I did it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is Nicaragua and Ortega good or bad?

Well it's not hard to understand why people are protesting Ortega -- in his governing style he has a lot in common with his neighbors in Honduras, with comparable disinterest in democratic institutions. Unlike Maduro's government in Venezuela he has maintained good terms with Nicaragua's business community, avoiding steps that might cause economic disruption. Generally he follows a normal political agenda for his neighborhood, just with a bit of left flavor rather than right. Of course that means when its time for elections he doesn't shy away from putting his finger on the scale if he can get away with it, but he's sure to keep such interventions subtle. As a result the Nicaraguan economy has seen fairly average growth compared to the rest of Central America.

The legacy of his first government in the 1980s remains disputed, but Sandinista reforms to the police are today often credited with being one of the reasons Nicaragua is much less violent than El Salvador or Honduras. It's hard to evaluate a lot of what they did because many of their policies were rolled back in the 1990s.

Whether he's Ortega is good or bad? I dunno. This situation has more shades of grey than black or white. . . I think most leftists will sympathize with protesters trying to protect themselves from pension reform/austerity, while the right would approve of that policy but resent Ortega for his history and other policies. Probably why there aren't too many people on either side talking about the crisis, there's few political points to score, or clear conclusions to draw.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Squalid posted:

Well it's not hard to understand why people are protesting Ortega -- in his governing style he has a lot in common with his neighbors in Honduras, with comparable disinterest in democratic institutions. Unlike Maduro's government in Venezuela he has maintained good terms with Nicaragua's business community, avoiding steps that might cause economic disruption. Generally he follows a normal political agenda for his neighborhood, just with a bit of left flavor rather than right. Of course that means when its time for elections he doesn't shy away from putting his finger on the scale if he can get away with it, but he's sure to keep such interventions subtle. As a result the Nicaraguan economy has seen fairly average growth compared to the rest of Central America.

The legacy of his first government in the 1980s remains disputed, but Sandinista reforms to the police are today often credited with being one of the reasons Nicaragua is much less violent than El Salvador or Honduras. It's hard to evaluate a lot of what they did because many of their policies were rolled back in the 1990s.

Whether he's Ortega is good or bad? I dunno. This situation has more shades of grey than black or white. . . I think most leftists will sympathize with protesters trying to protect themselves from pension reform/austerity, while the right would approve of that policy but resent Ortega for his history and other policies. Probably why there aren't too many people on either side talking about the crisis, there's few political points to score, or clear conclusions to draw.

Thanks for this.

What reforms did he do to the police?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for this.

What reforms did he do to the police?

I really don't know enough to go into details but during the revolution Nicaragua went all in on the concept of community policing, with officers coming from and living in the places they work, without so much of the overbearing paramilitary attitude you see in places like Brazil. It probably helped that the psychotic Somoza era torturers and thugs were purged as well. Unfortunately disentangling this policy from that policy vs sheer luck is very difficult.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Mexigoons, go stain your thumb!

(Picture taken before partaking the traditional post-voting menudo)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good place to watch Mexico's results come in? (Beyond the presidency?) All I've seen so far is the google one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Congrats to AMLO

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a good place to watch Mexico's results come in? (Beyond the presidency?) All I've seen so far is the google one

The official site's https://rp18.ine.mx/#/presidencia/nacional/1/1/1/1

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Plutonis posted:

Congrats to AMLO
His victory was the biggest of any candidate since Zedillo, bigger than Fox back when the PRI lost for the first time. This is huge.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

53% as per the fast counting. Woah.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1013608466043277313

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Sooo, having not followed the thread at all...
I have seen all over the news that Obrador is a huge change of pace for the left; I am just wondering if he's the sane kind of change or a :regd08: left-right populist hydra like the five star movement we got in Italy...

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tafferling posted:

Sooo, having not followed the thread at all...
I have seen all over the news that Obrador is a huge change of pace for the left; I am just wondering if he's the sane kind of change or a :regd08: left-right populist hydra like the five star movement we got in Italy...

He was governor of the clusterfuck urban sprawl megacity that is Mexico City, and it didn't collapse into a failed pseudo-communist state during his tenure.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Conspiratiorist posted:

He was governor of the clusterfuck urban sprawl megacity that is Mexico City, and it didn't collapse into a failed pseudo-communist state during his tenure.

His tenure was characterized by his willingness to give the people economic help, however, his ideas to tackle the city's main issues (like guaranteed water supply, better options of public transportation just to mention some) having little success. Furthermore, his successors followed the same line of thinking and thus there hasn't been actual improvements in quality of life for the city inhabitants.

Now, his political platform was focused on saying again and again how his government would be different, that he would reduce salaries of government officials and supporting the national industries, however, he was never able to outline a concrete strategy to achieve such goals. His education is also questionable, showing little skill to engage in constructive debate and not knowing a lick of English.

His team of collaborators also includes some well-known politicians that were involved in corruptions scandals in the past.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Crossposting from anime chat thread

Wark Say posted:

Not a super fan, but compared to Ratface O'Fuckhead, Kid Scummy and Affable Trump, he's a loving godsend. It was truly a "lesser of 4 evils" election. He has a lot of really out-there ideas and he probably doesn't know how to implement them all that well (sorta like Bernie, which is it makes sense when I see a lot of foreigners making that comparison), but thanks to Andres Manuel, Mexico City actually started becoming somewhat habitable. I mean, there are a couple of Boroughs in Mexico City that would basically look at Chi-city or Oakland and go "pansy-rear end bitches", but the fact that there are A LOT more places nowadays where you can actually go out by yourself and not be concerned about getting mugged, sexually assaulted or killed at night like it was going out of style and that's, y'know, an improvement.

Another problem that AMLO brought up is that a lot of people look at his "base" and immediately scoffed/dismissed, which is pretty drat problematic. Like, let's not mince words: As a country we're just as racist, if not more so, than USA. We're just more infamous for other things that sometimes people forget; but make no mistake that being casually racist in México ain't even considered a faux-pas, which is loving pathetic. But yeah, to sum it up into a neat (but still fairly awkward) sentence, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador becoming president elect is a huge, angry, hot-blooded middle finger towards a lot of the mainstream politics going on, both in Mexico and elsewhere.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That is an hyperbole.

The City isn't that much different now that what it was 20 years ago. And while is true some boroughs have improved, that has been because the criminal activity has relocated in other areas, so pretty much a "dig another hole to cover one" approach.

That poster, however, depicts perfectly the average mentality that enabled AMLO to win the election: is all about flipping out the current system, not to get what's best for the country.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Based on the results of the current system it doesn’t seem like a terrible idea

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

Based on the results of the current system it doesn’t seem like a terrible idea

The current system is barely managing to keep the country afloat and they have actually shown actual skills to handle the country politics. AMLO's only credentials are his tenure as mayor of Mexico City, on the 12 years he has spent campaigning, he has never shown any inkling of self-improvement, to actually learn the needed skills to be a good president.

His own political part also lacks a consistent ideology, he accepted anyone from any party regardless of their political leanings and unsurprisingly, this meant he often accepted people from the parties he claims to oppose who were just looking to continue their comfy lifestyles.

Also, these elections have put AMLO's party in an eerily similar position to that of the official party 30 years ago, making a real possibility that we just changed the outfits of the groups loving over the country rather than bring a real change.

There's a chance they guy and his team can pull through of course, but given the situation so volatile the world is in right now, I don't think we can allow ourselves to take any chance.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The current system caving under its own weight, as reflected by public discontent, is precisely what allowed MORENA a landslide victory, so I find assertions of their skills at handling the country's politics to be suspect. Fact of the matter is that even just half shuffling around the current entrenched political elite would be an improvement in matters dealing with gross corruption and public confidence in the government that affect the nation's unity.

For the rest, the bar you're yourself setting up for the next administration as left by the current one is extremely low, so all this talk about whether they can live up to their campaign promises just comes off as whining and empty fear-mongering: if all the current government with its incompetent head is managing to do is keep the country barely afloat, and demonstrating a degrading capacity to do so, then a new government with an incompetent head whose credentials are keeping the situation afloat without improvement is as good a 'bet' as any, by your own logic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is an hyperbole.

The City isn't that much different now that what it was 20 years ago. And while is true some boroughs have improved, that has been because the criminal activity has relocated in other areas, so pretty much a "dig another hole to cover one" approach.

That poster, however, depicts perfectly the average mentality that enabled AMLO to win the election: is all about flipping out the current system, not to get what's best for the country.

Dog Anaya nor Meade would have done best for the country. If PRI won we would have had more corruption go down. If PAN won we probably would have gone down to a war against the cartels again. The parties they represent have never done what was best for the country for my entire life time.

E: and I'm from a drat city that was ravaged so bad by cartels that so many families decided to just say gently caress it and move to the USA permanently because at least there they would be killed, kidnapped/taken for hostage or catch a stray bullet on the streets.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 3, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That is an hyperbole.

I dunno dude. El Centro Histórico was a really lovely, dirty place you often visited just to buy bootleg stuff. Now it's a far safer, cleaner hub full to the brim with museums and culture, with a pretty good grid of services and business. It was common to see street corners full of trash complete with pepenadores picking up the best bits, now there are even brigades of street sweepers 24/7 (jobs which, by the way, were first offered to the old pepenadores living in the garbage.) All of that began to change specifically with Obrador.

El Suburbano is pretty decent too. That was a big joint project in which Obrador was only a small part of the big picture but it's been maintained really well over the last decade.

I guess if anything it's kind of funny that now you can go look up exactly how well he did as Jefe de Gobierno and some sites will tell you he was lovely poo poo poo poo poo and other sites will tell you he did pretty great with the exact same loving numbers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Det_no posted:

I dunno dude. El Centro Histórico was a really lovely, dirty place you often visited just to buy bootleg stuff. Now it's a far safer, cleaner hub full to the brim with museums and culture, with a pretty good grid of services and business. It was common to see street corners full of trash complete with pepenadores picking up the best bits, now there are even brigades of street sweepers 24/7 (jobs which, by the way, were first offered to the old pepenadores living in the garbage.) All of that began to change specifically with Obrador.

El Centro Historico was never that bad before Obrador and they just bothered to clean up the surrounding streets to El Zocalo. Tepito, Lagunilla, Merced, San Pablo, Candelaria, Ferrocarril Hidalgo are still the same. Also, a huge part of the city still has flooding issues with strong rains.

quote:

El Suburbano is pretty decent too. That was a big joint project in which Obrador was only a small part of the big picture but it's been maintained really well over the last decade.

Insurgentes Metrobus isn't that good of an option to travel from north to south, and each subsequent line has been mixed success since its infrastructure reduces lanes without actually helping to motivate people to stop using their own vehicles.

Periferico's Second Level has only increased traffic on the area, making a pain in the rear end to travel there. Awesome sights though.

quote:

I guess if anything it's kind of funny that now you can go look up exactly how well he did as Jefe de Gobierno and some sites will tell you he was lovely poo poo poo poo poo and other sites will tell you he did pretty great with the exact same loving numbers.

It depends on what are you looking for I guess. He did overhaul tourist areas and put in motion a bunch of social support campaigns that are still active today, but little was done to actually solve the main issues of the city.

And yeah, I might be pessimistic but that is because I see Morena filled with people from the PRI, PAN, and PRD, so they're just giving the usual corruption a new face. I also find Obrador himself more incompetent than Peña, with a ton of proposals that don't take into account the full scale of the impact they would have in the middle and long-term. And since Morena has the majority in the Congress there's nothing stopping them from becoming PRI 2.0.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Go round and round the circle... as we have done before.

We're currently 50% through our neoliberal stage of the cycle. Give it 2-3 more years and we'll have another bout of massive over-borrowing, another "shielding", another 2001, then another "peronist" "left-wing" revival.

But don't worry, it's a honorable misery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpivs462uk

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 3, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why do the cartels have such a strangle hold in Mexico? Is it really just simply due to the country bordering America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Massive economic power. That's it. The US spends dozens of billions on illegal drugs.