Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Since Flick left as assistant (2014 I think?) the results have been mysteriously getting worse and worse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tortilla Maker posted:

My take: Mexico completely demoralized them.
:wrong: The matches against Austria and Saudi Arabia before the tournament weren't any better. The team sucked before the World Cup and didn't get any better.

elbkaida posted:

Since Flick left as assistant (2014 I think?) the results have been mysteriously getting worse and worse...
Remember when Löw was the tactical mastermind behind the Sommermärchen?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
No combo of players or manager would have made a difference. Germany is going through a time of severe malaise and experiencing a national existential crisis and their play reflects that

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
To be fair some of them had a good WC, it's just they got left alone by the rest. Any decent coach would have swaped Khedira out after like 10 minutes in the Mexico game. Hey Kimmich is out there in front of you, loving cover his side you dumb gently caress.
Kroos is stupidly overrated, so are Özil and Draxler. Some of those other average players who somehow managed to get a spot simply aren't good enough. Really not a fan of players like Brandt and Werner. Bringing Gomez was a lol too.

Maybe annex Austria, they'd have some good players you could use.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Tahirovic posted:

Kroos is stupidly overrated, so are Özil and Draxler.

Kroos has been a nailed-on starter for Madrid in the last four seasons and won the CL three times in a row with them. Think he might be p good at football tbh.

In contrast I'm not sure there's many people who rate Draxler in the first place (except Löw, who seemed to be the future of German football in him).

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Özil is good, great even. He's good at fooling opponents looking defeated all the time while actually helping make the game flow by positioning himself perfectly and creating chances. Anyone singling him out of the mess that was the World Cup in Russia has no clue about football.

He's done his share against South Korea and enabled seven scoring opportunities, if the team can't convert any of these you deserve to go out lol.

It's just sad he's playing for Arsenal and not a good team.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

elbkaida posted:

Kroos has been a nailed-on starter for Madrid in the last four seasons and won the CL three times in a row with them. Think he might be p good at football tbh.

In contrast I'm not sure there's many people who rate Draxler in the first place (except Löw, who seemed to be the future of German football in him).

Kroos is a shadow of his 2014 self, and he's supposedly at his physical zenith this year. What I've seen these last years was Querpass-Toni, and it's all on Real Madrid.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The worst part of the Vorrundenaus is the slew of freakishly bad op-eds that follows in its wake tbh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Healbot posted:

Özil is good, great even. He's good at fooling opponents looking defeated all the time while actually helping make the game flow by positioning himself perfectly and creating chances. Anyone singling him out of the mess that was the World Cup in Russia has no clue about football.

He's done his share against South Korea and enabled seven scoring opportunities, if the team can't convert any of these you deserve to go out lol.

It's just sad he's playing for Arsenal and not a good team.

You're out of your mind if you think Ozil helped this German team in any way. He's the epitome of a vanity footballer and in a struggling German midfield they couldn't afford that.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shrapnig posted:

You're out of your mind if you think Ozil helped this German team in any way. He's the epitome of a vanity footballer and in a struggling German midfield they couldn't afford that.

This is the most English post I have ever read lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

oliwan posted:

This is the most English post I have ever read lol

Please go on about the player Germany dropped for the only game they won and who played 90 minutes in the two matches they lost.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shrapnig posted:

Please go on about the player Germany dropped for the only game they won and who played 90 minutes in the two matches they lost.

Get stuck in lad!!!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm just going to point out Pep comes in, injects horse drugs into a team of players, they become good then pep leaves before wada catch his new regime and everything goes to poo poo

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Ozil was only the 2nd worst player on the field both games he was in because Khedira was there and somehow even worse.

I think the theory that the team was basically two separate halves that didn't mesh well holds some weight, ie, essentially the older half that won the world cup (and almost all played like absolute poo poo the entire time) and the young half that were basically half of the confed cup team, who looked at times nervous and shaky but generally seemed a lot more active and motivated than the 2014 boys.

I don't know why anyone would say Werner is bad based on 3 games where by and large he and Reus were the only players up front running around like crazy trying to break down defenses and do something.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Werner got a simpsons mouf

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Werner is not bad he just shouldn't go into a match as centre forward because he's not good at that. Werner, Müller and Reus were all drifting around at the front and I guess the hope was that one of them (or some midfielder) will be there at the right time to score but that didn't really work that often.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Werner got a simpsons mouf

Lmao

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

TelekineticBear! posted:

Is Werner really Germany's next great striking hope? The lad looked awful, looked like a soft little beta. Isn't he the one who had to be subbed off in the champions league because he couldn't hack the pressure? Only able to score 13 goals last season against championship level opposition. Chris Wood would double his return there

Werner is the Klose replacement, a quick, clever guy who can dribble and scores by being at the right place at the right time. I thought he did well, he had a couple of good chances that could have gone in with a bit of luck

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A bit sad for Reus that he went out so soon in his first and possibly last world cup.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

elbkaida posted:

Kroos gets carried at Madrid, hth.

Saying Kroos is good because he always plays is like saying Khedira was amazing because he started twice this WC. Some coaches just have their favorites and play them regardless of actual form.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Byolante posted:

I'm just going to point out Pep comes in, injects horse drugs into a team of players, they become good then pep leaves before wada catch his new regime and everything goes to poo poo

Ah yes, noted German national team coach Pep Guardiola

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I dunno man, Kroos is a metronome at RM, maybe he's really good ??

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

elbkaida posted:

:emptyquote:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Dunban posted:

He's joking but see, 6 of the starting players (plus Götze which was subbed in) on the final played under Guardiola for Bayern at the time

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Tahirovic posted:

Kroos gets carried at Madrid, hth.

Saying Kroos is good because he always plays is like saying Khedira was amazing because he started twice this WC. Some coaches just have their favorites and play them regardless of actual form.

Either there's a conspracy of Ancelotti, Benitez, Zidane and Löw to play Kroos even though he's a fraud or maybe there's a simple explanation like having a holding midfielder such as Casemiro or Schweinsteiger behind Kroos allows him to play really well as seen at Madrid or in 2014.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dunban posted:

Are you saying bayern doesn't maintain their supremacy by buying any player that looks half decent for any other German team?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Amazing

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

elbkaida posted:

Either there's a conspracy of Ancelotti, Benitez, Zidane and Löw to play Kroos even though he's a fraud or maybe there's a simple explanation like having a holding midfielder such as Casemiro or Schweinsteiger behind Kroos allows him to play really well as seen at Madrid or in 2014.

Thats the point. Young Sami Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Xavi Alonso, and Casemiro make Kroos look good. On top of that, Kroos is usually backed by 4 of the best defenders in the world plus a world-class goalkeeper. In this tournament, he had 3 and a shell-shocked Neuer.

He’s not bad, he’s just not great, and there were better options.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I'm legit sad that German is out. How do the English deal with this every 4 years?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You're forgetting the Euros, so it's really every other year.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Enigma89 posted:

I'm legit sad that German is out. How do the English deal with this every 4 years?

The same way you dealt with it every year between 1990 and 2014?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Enigma89 posted:

Ask your grandad, he even has a fetching tattoo on his chest to help explain

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Enigma89 posted:

Says the American whose team couldn't beat Trinidad and Tobago to qualify

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Germany is a team of soulless automatons, villains from a children’s sports movie, who, along with their fans, feel entitled to at least a quarterfinal appearance. I didn’t expect them to finish last in their group, but I am positively giddy about it. Was also moved by the passionate performance of the South Koreans playing for little more than pride but hustling their asses off—the embodiment of the beautiful game, and something the results-oriented German team and fans care very little about. You can dissect the team and coach’s poor performances all you want (Gomez? Seriously, Gomez.), but this group was a victory for football.

I will see myself out now; see you in 2 years for the Euros.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Germany '82 were really Disney villains.

With how they taunted Algeria before the game, '' I will dedicate the 7th goal to my wife, the 8th will be dedicated to my dog''
Who can forget 'The Shame of Gijon' or Schumacher killing strikers?

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Germany is a team of soulless automatons, villains from a children’s sports movie, who, along with their fans, feel entitled to at least a quarterfinal appearance. I didn’t expect them to finish last in their group, but I am positively giddy about it. Was also moved by the passionate performance of the South Koreans playing for little more than pride but hustling their asses off—the embodiment of the beautiful game, and something the results-oriented German team and fans care very little about. You can dissect the team and coach’s poor performances all you want (Gomez? Seriously, Gomez.), but this group was a victory for football.

I will see myself out now; see you in 2 years for the Euros.

On the contrary, I found South Korean players celebrating like they won the World Cup a little offputting

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

antidote posted:

On the contrary, I found South Korean players celebrating like they won the World Cup a little offputting

They went in with very little chance to make it out of the group, beating the reigning world champions was just about the biggest success they could hope for.
Admittedly it was more a Germany failure than a SK win, but I say let them have it

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

elbkaida posted:

Him being reliant on a better player to back him up is why I call him overrated. He's really not that good.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

antidote posted:

"At the largest sporting event on the planet, only meaningful victories should be celebrated enthusiastically. Unless we're talking about our team. It's acceptable to throw explosives out your window when they score in a friendly."

-German fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

"At the largest sporting event on the planet, only meaningful victories should be celebrated enthusiastically. Unless we're talking about our team. It's acceptable to throw explosives out your window when they score in a friendly."

-German fans

Joke's on you, we don't score in friendlies.

• Locked thread