Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
If Crystal guardian is who I think it is, I got through it by staying close and having him zap the ground and a lot of double jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Do we ever find out what the beast is?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The only one I have been really drat stuck on, and still haven't beat is Crystal Guardian 2 which people have told me is the "easiest boss in the game" I think he's a loving nightmare. I have so much poo poo now I could probably go back and kill him pretty easy though, but I was at about 100 attempts when I gave up.

I just found him and he was trivially easy with endgame equipment. actually not sure how I didn't find him before honestly

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

The only one I have been really drat stuck on, and still haven't beat is Crystal Guardian 2 which people have told me is the "easiest boss in the game" I think he's a loving nightmare. I have so much poo poo now I could probably go back and kill him pretty easy though, but I was at about 100 attempts when I gave up.

I had a ton of trouble with that guy too, and so do a lot of people.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think I get why it's weird, because I had trouble with him, too. The game kind of trains you to fight as you move above bosses, which doesn't really work on him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Over There posted:

Isn't it the Dreamer?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly struggle most with any boss that does 2x damage. Which is part of why I have so many issues with the guardian. Similarly, I’ve heard traitor lord is easy? I’m finding him extremely loving hard for the same reasons.

gently caress double damage though it’s a lovely gimmick that makes any boss fight completely unfun to me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly struggle most with any boss that does 2x damage. Which is part of why I have so many issues with the guardian. Similarly, I’ve heard traitor lord is easy? I’m finding him extremely loving hard for the same reasons.

gently caress double damage though it’s a lovely gimmick that makes any boss fight completely unfun to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there's a charm that gives you Blue-blood and you only ever lose one of those at a time. You can't heal, but healing in fights is pretty tough as it is. I don't think I used that for Crystal-man, but I may have. I used it for one boss and was very pleased with the results.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had no idea about that. That’s pretty helpful. Didn’t know blue blood had different damage values. Only thing that sucks though is that I usually tank like 4-5 hits on the awful thorny boss run to him, so without being able to heal I’m coming in with my normal amount of hearts anyways

Edit: nah it’s still 2x damage with blue blood

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 1, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Broken Cog posted:

Isn't it the Dreamer?

No because you can still talk to it after you get the dreamer

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Traitor Lord used to be super easy but they made him way more powerful, including giving him double damage which I honestly think was a mistake

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Traitor Lord used to be easy. Now he has new attacks, he attacks faster, and he does two masks of damage. He is a lot stronger than he was at release. One thing I did with the Traitor Lord (which is also useful for any difficult boss after getting the teleport ability) is place a teleport gate right outside the boss room. Then, I went and rested at a bench that was sitting next to a hot spring. That way you can easily refill your soul before each attempt against the boss.

If you get really frustrated though, you can beat him without learning to dodge if you use fragile/unbreakable strength, quickslash, and stalwart shell, and throw in some desolate dives for some free damage.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Over There posted:

talk to him once you've got every other diary entry

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Spent all weekend on Nightmare King Grimm. God man, fair fight so it’s all good. The downward stab is a bitch with the joycon sometimes.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Over There posted:

He's a guy who lives in a cave and kills stuff, what more is there to know?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

lets hang out posted:

talk to him once you've got every other diary entry

Yes. Go do that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boosh! posted:

Spent all weekend on Nightmare King Grimm. God man, fair fight so it’s all good. The downward stab is a bitch with the joycon sometimes.

NKG is the best boss fight in a game with many fantastic boss fights. I wish defeating him left behind a lantern you could dream nail to fight him any time you want.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

He's a guy who lives in a cave and kills stuff, what more is there to know?

I think the poster is referring to the stage in Deepnest. You're talking about the Hunter.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
The Beast is, I assume, disappointment.

There's no way anyone could go through all that and *not* expect a giant spider fight. Or even a fight. Just something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trial of fools is a lot of fun. Although I haven't done the last one so I might be eating my words next time I play.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

Trial of fools is a lot of fun. Although I haven't done the last one so I might be eating my words next time I play.

:getin:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

SirSamVimes posted:

NKG is the best boss fight in a game with many fantastic boss fights. I wish defeating him left behind a lantern you could dream nail to fight him any time you want.

Aaand I finally got him. What an awesome fight.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

veni veni veni posted:

:negative:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

veni veni veni posted:

I would call you a fool but you haven't earned that glory yet! Go prove yourself to be one!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've played this game enough to know it's probably gonna make me want to throw my controller out the window, so I just opted to do other stuff for a bit before trying it. The second one was a bitch, but in a good way. I really like this game the most when it's tough but gives me a split second to breath once in a while, and so far Trial of Fools has been the best example of that in the game.

Alternately, traitor lord can suck my rear end. What a terrible boss fight. I've done everything (that is available. I think there's end game stuff too) except the last 3 mask fights and the final trial, but I might just skip 100%ing it because I hate traitor lord so much. He feels cheap and flat out unfair.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

veni veni veni posted:

Alternately, traitor lord can suck my rear end. What a terrible boss fight. I've done everything (that is available. I think there's end game stuff too) except the last 3 mask fights and the final trial, but I might just skip 100%ing it because I hate traitor lord so much. He feels cheap and flat out unfair.

You have a buddy so you could always just run away the entire fight.

He's also vulnerable to head bouncing unless he uppercuts. Just head bounce until you're worried about an uppercut. Shadow dash when he does the waves thing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

veni veni veni posted:

I've played this game enough to know it's probably gonna make me want to throw my controller out the window, so I just opted to do other stuff for a bit before trying it. The second one was a bitch, but in a good way. I really like this game the most when it's tough but gives me a split second to breath once in a while, and so far Trial of Fools has been the best example of that in the game.

I fought the new fight for the first time last week. Here is a super cheesy way to kill him that I used after getting fed up with the fight:

Make sure you have Shade Soul (the upgraded Vengeful Spirit). Equip Flukenest and Shaman Stone, and I recommend something like Soul Catcher to make sure you can keep casting. Fill out any other charms however you want. You will still want to try your best to dodge and slash him if you can, but he will be dead in 5 casts or so if you hit him with all of it. It does a ludicrous amount of damage.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I went back to the Grandpa after collecting all the grubs :cripes:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I went back to the Grandpa after collecting all the grubs :cripes:

Why do people think this is some tragic event? The achievement is literally called "metamorphosis".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

What a terrible boss fight. I've done everything (that is available. I think there's end game stuff too)

have you visited the white palace

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

have you visited the white palace

Can't go there without beating Traitor Lord.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah you can, you only need the awakened dream nail for White Palace.

I think I magic'd the Traitor Lords to death. Magic and pogoing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

guppy posted:

I fought the new fight for the first time last week. Here is a super cheesy way to kill him that I used after getting fed up with the fight:

Make sure you have Shade Soul (the upgraded Vengeful Spirit). Equip Flukenest and Shaman Stone, and I recommend something like Soul Catcher to make sure you can keep casting. Fill out any other charms however you want. You will still want to try your best to dodge and slash him if you can, but he will be dead in 5 casts or so if you hit him with all of it. It does a ludicrous amount of damage.

Thanks I'll try this

Dancer posted:

ohhh, poo poo. I thought he was optional.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dancer posted:

Yeah, you can.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can do traitor lord and white palace independent of each other but you're going to want to end up doing both

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

Why do people think this is some tragic event? The achievement is literally called "metamorphosis".

Yeah seriously. I've seen so many people be like this is super dark, nothing is sacred, yadda yadda and it's just... did they even pay attention? Not only is the achievement named metamorphosis but the sounds you hear are definitely not sad sounds, they're happy sounds. The game didn't pull some "sike u were bad" :twisted: twist, that would be super tonally inconsistent.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The real tragedy is that you can't go back to dash across the room and watch all the grubs greet you in a wave.

veni veni veni posted:

ohhh, poo poo. I thought he was optional.

The Traitor Lord is endgame stuff, and the only thing you get for beating him is 1/3 of the charm needed for the true ending.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah, you can.

Oh poo poo lol. In my mind the thing behind traitor lord was the "first half" and the thing in WP was the second.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

Darox posted:

The real tragedy is that you can't go back to dash across the room and watch all the grubs greet you in a wave.

On the other hand bouncing on Grubfather's belly while he chuckles away is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

RE: Traitor Lord, load up that blue life bar charm and just stick close to him. Eventually you will learn the timing to shadow dodge through his melee back and forth and you can just melt him.