Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

G-Spot Run posted:

Who designs a system that doesn't tell you anywhere what your eligible hours are when you've built the system from the ground up of being based on eligible hours and activity testing.

Consultants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

quote:

I dress well, wear makeup (but not too much),

I think I found a flaw in that article

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Have we got any hot takes from Daisy re SHY controversy?

Daisy Cousens posted:

While sexist jokes may seem harmless, it’s so important to remind ourselves they’re anything but. Even if made in the most unassuming way, if a man is deliberately delivering a dose of chauvinism, it indicates an attitude in need of eradication. So the next time you feel the sexist sting in conversations with men, ask yourself whether the icky feeling of brushing it off, of deflecting both the comment and your self-esteem, is worth it.

I'm sure she still believes that and wouldn't say otherwise just for money and the adoration of dozens of Sky News viewers.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Why is childcare so expensive if child care workers are paid next to nothing?

Genuine question, as I have zero familiarity with the system.

edit: child care was from a few pages ago.

I’m quite happy to jump on the Daisy is dumb as hell bandwagon. And in the interest of gender equality so is Caleb.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Child care and elderly care should be state run and not for profit

If governments believe in full employment and "getting people into the workplace" they need to fund that poo poo

If governments believe inter-generational theft is bad, then old people who require care should not need to lose their home and 80% of their pension to afford it

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

Why is childcare so expensive if child care workers are paid next to nothing?

Genuine question, as I have zero familiarity with the system.

edit: child care was from a few pages ago.

From what I can tell it seems to be that most of the fee goes to the owner/operator rather than the staff themselves. The businesses rely on amazing people who care like group home or aged care workers who deserve to be paid so much more than they do.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Ah right. So just business as usual then. Thanks for the replies.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

From working alongside some childcare providers ( both for and not for profit)the really good quality ones have really thin margins due to greater overheads.

Eg. More admin staff, kitchen staff, better quality food, rent / lease, safety and quality assurance, good resources, good cleaning, etc

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh also in some areas the market is saturated and centres aren't running rooms at full capacity, yet still have similar overheads.

It's still easy to make money though if you're in a good location or have good economies of scale ( eg. Goodstart or G8 Education)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Beetphyxious posted:

G8 Education

God drat watching G8 crash was a lot of fun. People say only crypto does this but I disagree.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

God drat watching G8 crash was a lot of fun. People say only crypto does this but I disagree.

Crypto saves you time by doing that in a daily basis

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I am on the weed stocks train ride and it is a very fun ride.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

I am on the weed stocks train ride and it is a very fun ride.

Heroin, guns, green energy, weed. These are the four pillars of my investment strategy.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This owns

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

JBP posted:

I kind of disagree with this. Plenty of poorer people in warehouses have bounced on and off Centrelink and hate it's clients more than the effete middle class.

I think this can still be covered by a social stratification element. They justify it to themselves as they might be on welfare, but they're not one of "those people" on welfare. You know, "the bludgers". Who "choose" to be there.

Of course, they never think through whether or not they want someone working with them who doesn't want to be there, or if maybe there's some people who for whatever reason are completely unsuitable for work and maybe society would be more productive if we just pensioned them out of the system.

Also as a side note a relative of mine works in a warehouse and makes a cool 70k doing it. Seems like a sweet deal.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 2, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Guys at the Murray Goulburn DC can clear 100k no worries.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Well could... A lot took redundancies (and good on them, we were talking blokes with 90 weeks coming to them) and others got replaced with drones. But the drones didn't work and they're still parked out the back with the other useless poo poo rofl

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beetphyxious posted:

Oh also in some areas the market is saturated and centres aren't running rooms at full capacity, yet still have similar overheads.

It's still easy to make money though if you're in a good location or have good economies of scale ( eg. Goodstart or G8 Education)

The main difference between the childcare and aged care sectors is the blunt refusal by government to get involved in the former just when they're trying to avoid responsibility for the latter.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Make all home schooling. Only men may homeschool their kids. Welcome to the own zone when all the kids are massively hosed up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/SharriMarkson/status/1013701675268259840

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/_JustinStevens_/status/1013720566484762625

Suck poo poo Cat Hat

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 2, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving LOL

also god drat our hosed up government system.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I would pay actual money to see Cathat make a court mandated apology for making a sexist slur.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they work out through some chicanery that you can sue the government of the day for breaching workplace laws

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Watch as the Murdoch media, through an impressive feat of mental gymnastics, try to claim it's the lawsuit that is making a mockery of Australian parliamentary politics - not cat hat and his shitpoor behaviour in general.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I struggle to see how Lleyonhelm loses more votes than he gains from this tbh.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

I struggle to see how Lleyonhelm loses more votes than he gains from this tbh.

I said this to someone early today who disagreed and thought it was only a fluke that he was in the senate. They had completely forgotten about the DD.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The next senate election will only be a half senate election like normal but I dont think they have ironed out how to determine who is up for election. There is a significant chance the two majors will gang up on the rest and make it so the minors and independents are the ones up for election, which means with the normal number of labor and lnp candidates we could see a bunch of small fish wiped out completely, llllleyyeyeonhelm included.

Wont be surprising if they all do some last minute campaign bullshit before then.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I thought both parties had already agreed to support a motion for a 6 / 6 split, first 6 elected stay on for six year term with the last 6 doing half terms.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Les Affaires posted:

The next senate election will only be a half senate election like normal but I dont think they have ironed out how to determine who is up for election.
They did. There were two different methods (first 6 get the long terms vs a more complex method) and the people disadvantaged by chosen option were Hinch and (I think?) Rhiannon.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Doesn't parliamentary privilige mean you can just say whatever in parliament and not be held accountable for it? I don't see how the Greena can win this one if that's the case.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aesculus posted:

Doesn't parliamentary privilige mean you can just say whatever in parliament and not be held accountable for it? I don't see how the Greena can win this one if that's the case.

Cat Hat decided to shoot his mouth off outside parliament too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The thing about Australian politics is that the defacto political party identities just fling insults and memes at eachother for internet points but the LDP were doing that anyway so when everyone else started doing it with light hearted jabs, the LDP did it with a fuckload of venom but like most far right groups whenever they get called out on it they can say they were just kidding or free speech or a million and one excuses that right groups have online so really social media just heavily favours right wing groups near the fringe because they are going to be on the internet waging wars with virtual microbattles regardless of if Lionhat is in the Senate or Donald Trump is President.

What I'm saying is that we are hosed eternally because the online world allows us to choose any perspective regardless of reality and also gamify politics via Twitter ect and meme warfare so I fully expect Australia to get its own populist in power. It won't be Xenophon or Palmer but I fully expect it to maybe be some fuckhead in the LNP who is right wing as gently caress and relatively competent at speaking but cannot gain the leadership of the party via the usual channels so goes off and starts his own party with Palmer or Katter or Twiggy or some rich gently caress and plays to the rural people and washes up a federal election due to rural vs city.

Like imagine Tim Mander with the burns of Paul Keating and the policy of John Howard and that is basically the perfect Australian Populist.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i am sure the public discussion around what SHY said and what cat hat said will very very balanced and respectful

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

The thing about Australian politics is that the defacto political party identities just fling insults and memes at eachother for internet points but the LDP were doing that anyway so when everyone else started doing it with light hearted jabs, the LDP did it with a fuckload of venom but like most far right groups whenever they get called out on it they can say they were just kidding or free speech or a million and one excuses that right groups have online so really social media just heavily favours right wing groups near the fringe because they are going to be on the internet waging wars with virtual microbattles regardless of if Lionhat is in the Senate or Donald Trump is President.

What I'm saying is that we are hosed eternally because the online world allows us to choose any perspective regardless of reality and also gamify politics via Twitter ect and meme warfare so I fully expect Australia to get its own populist in power. It won't be Xenophon or Palmer but I fully expect it to maybe be some fuckhead in the LNP who is right wing as gently caress and relatively competent at speaking but cannot gain the leadership of the party via the usual channels so goes off and starts his own party with Palmer or Katter or Twiggy or some rich gently caress and plays to the rural people and washes up a federal election due to rural vs city.

Like imagine Tim Mander with the burns of Paul Keating and the policy of John Howard and that is basically the perfect Australian Populist.

Well we can all take small victories in the knowledge that we aren’t directly contributing to the problem 40 hours a week

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lol gently caress

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/1013566137076858880

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

i am sure the public discussion around what SHY said and what cat hat said will very very balanced and respectful

Cat Hat is a pariah so you get all sorts of people taking SHY's side (eg Credlin) that wouldn't if it was some recalcitrant fuckwit in the Coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i want a helmet with a light on it that flashes red when i'm not meeting my centrelink obligations and i'm loving furious that i won't be allowed to have it

• Locked thread