Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vahakyla posted:

I am not sure what kind of bombs they are fitting here:

They're Python V AAMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hey, EU nations have some decent radars :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're Python V AAMs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Searching for "F-111 low level" on Youtube gets some good results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgLADsfxptg

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
NVM, OBE

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

FuturePastNow posted:

Of all the fantastical things I wish were possible, "sending gopros back in time for aerospace purposes" is probably #1.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kebbins posted:

Of all the fantastical things I wish were possible, "sending gopros back in time for aerospace purposes" is probably #1.

Wait until you see what a T33 looks like going through the grand canyon

http://www.airspacemag.com/videos/category/history-of-flight/jetting-through-the-grand-canyon/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

FuturePastNow posted:

I'll do you one better. F-111 breaking windows and plaster/roofing on an observation building on a weapons range at bombing school:

https://youtu.be/J_Mh3dsln9M

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine has a private airfield in south Georgia. Last time I visited this guy just happened to drop by :

The pilot / owner calls this his "Swamp Monster" because he likes to fly the low country around his home area and land on sandbars

https://vimeo.com/249248870

... we were all too polite to ask the obvious question

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drunkill posted:

I'll do you one better. F-111 breaking windows and plaster/roofing on an observation building on a weapons range at bombing school:

https://youtu.be/J_Mh3dsln9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Kl7c2yU3g

that's apparently the brazilian supreme court building

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
This thread's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6z33QXHoVI

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

I think the Norwegian atmosphere is extra clear today....

New adventures in distance spotting. The cruising altitudes didn't have contrail conditions last night, but I got to test the distance where you can see the actual plane. A 767 came past in the north at 34k, saw it 64 km or about 40 mi away. Easy to see in the binoculars, but just on the limit of my naked eyeballs. Would not have noticed it if I didn't know exactly where to :stare:

It was backlit by the sunset which made the dark unlit side stand out against the brighter sky. Perhaps it would have been easier to see in the daytime when directly lit by the sun in the south, but I'm not sure. The background sky would be pretty bright too then so there would be less contrast.

Pretty incredible distance really. In flight sims, 64 km might be the radar detection limit and the single pixel of first visual contact pops out at like 8 km. Of course, a 767 is a bit bigger than an IL-2 or whatever. But it would have been no problem to see a big fighter like the F-14 in the binoculars, perhaps even with the naked eye as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you should go and post this on some flight sim forums as an argument for why airplanes should have labels on them and see how well that goes over

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

you should go and post this on some flight sim forums as an argument for why airplanes should have labels on them and see how well that goes over

If I had spent less of my life arguing on flight sim forums, I might have been up in that plane looking down.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Crosspost from airpower.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mlmp08 posted:

Crosspost from airpower.

Gotta give the lady props for staying cool. I'd have hit the deck while simultaneously making GBS threads myself, especially on the Hind's first pass

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
wait i cant believe i have never thought to ask this question? Do pilots listen to music while flying ever?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Among GA pilots, yep, definitely. The newer aviation headsets even come with Bluetooth pairing and aux ports and stuff.

I don't know what the policies are for commercial flights, though.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Crosspost from airpower.

I see the communists Russians haven't invented the weedwhacker yet

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

Among GA pilots, yep, definitely. The newer aviation headsets even come with Bluetooth pairing and aux ports and stuff.

I don't know what the policies are for commercial flights, though.

Probably frowned upon.

I listen to music almost always, god hours of nothing but airplane drone is fatiguing, especially when I was flying turboprops

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Video time in the AI airplane thread, that means it's time for Fighter Fling 04!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmEFrWDAUY

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

To add, I once watched a video of a Lancair Legacy and the builder put a DIN sized car stereo deck in his plane.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

drunkill posted:

That's really badass, but video of low passing the Grand loving Canyon set to Joe Satriani wins.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

wait i cant believe i have never thought to ask this question? Do pilots listen to music while flying ever?

In the general aviation world, it's pretty common to have 3.5mm jacks installed in the panel, and a lot of headsets have 3.5mm ports or Bluetooth built in, along with a function to automatically mute the input when something comes over the radio or intercom.

For airlines, listening to music is generally banned (the one I work for actually prohibits us from reading in flight, which everyone ignores) but there are quite a few pilots that do anyway.

Airplanes can also use some of their navigation radios to pick up AM stations, so it's not at all uncommon for pilots to use that to listen to sporting events, country music, Jesus stations, or right wing talk, since those are 90% of what's on AM.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hell yea we listened to music. We’d also have themed movie nights while on deployment. Missions were anywhere from 9-10 hours. Plenty of time to watch every Lethal Weapon movie.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

I see the communists Russians haven't invented the weedwhacker yet

Azerbaijan, but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4jMkJiCTLE

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Also, it annoys me that the narrator calls the guy in back "weapons officer" and "navigator", neither of which is the actual term -- it's "Weapon Systems Officer" in the USAF. In that plane, "bombardier" or "copilot"* are acceptable.

"Brains In Back"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dr_Strangelove posted:

"Brains In Back"

"Self-loading luggage"

In the E-2 if you haven't bribed your avionics techs to rig up an iPod-to-intercom jack, there's always the trick of shoving your phone into your helmet so the speaker is right next to the boom mic.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

...there's always the trick of shoving your phone into your helmet so the speaker is right next to the boom mic.

"drat, Airman Joe, if only they made the plane out of the same stuff as the helmets, we wouldn't be cleaning up this mess."
"poo poo, SrA Tommy, he's got his phone jammed up in there. What the gently caress?"
"Oh, poo poo. It's his music. Look at this playlist: Ariana Grande, Britney Spears, is that Rebecca Black?"
"Yo, here: The Very Best of Drake . Dude was having a party"
"Yeah, best not to tell his wife."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Guys! Guys! How did no one tell me? Have you heard the good news?

They somehow made it even better looking.

One of these immense fellows popped out of the mist and loafed right overhead of me as I was heading back to work from lunch. Don't know why I didn't try to take a picture.

e:

mllaneza posted:

That's really badass, but video of low passing the Grand loving Canyon set to Joe Satriani wins.
I didn't watch with sound on, so my brain supplied the soundtrack to Independence Day, because everything is a reference to some other goddamn thing with me

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 4, 2018

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hell yea we listened to music. We’d also have themed movie nights while on deployment. Missions were anywhere from 9-10 hours. Plenty of time to watch every Lethal Weapon movie.

This is the answer I wanted to hear. My soul is at rest now. ty

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

there's always the trick of shoving your phone into your helmet so the speaker is right next to the boom mic.

We did this on the E-3, on one of the internal nets (so everyone had the option of turning it off). Except no helmets, so we just had to hold the earbuds up to the mic. It was a long drive home at the end of an OEF flight.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Godholio posted:

Those are actually built from the F-15E baseline, so they're closer to the Strike Eagle than the -C model. Strike Eagles and its descendants are perfectly capable air-to-air fighters. Hell, Israel's have more kills than the USAF F-15C. Calling it a bomber and poo-pooing its air-to-air capability is either gross ignorance or trolling.

What's the extra fuel capacity in a Mudhen vs. the drop tanks on a -C? Just looking at it, seems like the minor performance penalty from the CFTs would be outweighed by the bonus of the extra fuel in a fight with afterburner. And the Mudhens usually carry even more drop tanks than the pure-fighter version, so all that fuel in the CFTs is available in SHTF situations. Or can carry 23k lbs of ordnance, that's one (American) ton short of a B-47's payload.

Godholio posted:

Video time in the AI airplane thread, that means it's time for Fighter Fling 04!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmEFrWDAUY
Any semblance of "fun" in the US military died with the all-black Playboy Bunny paintjob on F-14s. Also, it may have randomly exploded, but drat, that was a good-looking airplane. Too bad there's no chance of any getting restored to flying shape for fear of letting Iran get parts for the ones we sold them just before the revolution. (Wasn't the last bird of the Iranian order completed after the revolution and confiscated into the USN?)

Speaking of fighters pressed into service as bombers, the Bombcat was apparently pretty decent at filling in the gap left by the A-6 with the addition of a targeting pod. No extra fuel tanks like its USAF equivalent bomber, though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Any semblance of "fun" in the US military died with the all-black Playboy Bunny paintjob on F-14s. Also, it may have randomly exploded, but drat, that was a good-looking airplane. Too bad there's no chance of any getting restored to flying shape for fear of letting Iran get parts for the ones we sold them just before the revolution. (Wasn't the last bird of the Iranian order completed after the revolution and confiscated into the USN?)

What are you completely whiffing on this time?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prEFjYrAJuw

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just saw a crop duster fly underneath some 25-30' power lines while dusting. Going to try to get a photo of it if he's still out on my way back in a few minutes. Not sure how well the pictures will turn out though if his brass balls take up the entire shot.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
After a flight at ag school. The instructor wasn't animated about it, it went more like "and by the way check this out haha" after we got back. I didn't know we'd gone through anything.

And power lines are scarier in a biplane... because you can't see them!

vessbot fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 4, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Too bad there's no chance of any getting restored to flying shape for fear of letting Iran get parts for the ones we sold them just before the revolution. (Wasn't the last bird of the Iranian order completed after the revolution and confiscated into the USN?)

I asked the guy at the Western Museum of Flight if they were brave enough to paint their under restoration F-14 in the colors of the only remaining operator. He said that it had been seriously considered but discarded due to likely community reaction, which I can understand.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The original engines in the F-14 had major issues with compressor stalls if you turned at high angle of attack while moving the throttle. Something that rarely happens in a fighter jet, and is almost unknown in carrier-based --- oh wait, it's actually entirely the opposite of that.

Sometimes the engine that had a problem exploded (maybe only that one time, but it DID happen, so I consider that to count as "randomly explodes"), sometimes it just stopped pushing and the asymmetric thrust caused an instant unrecoverable-at-low-altitude stall/spin. They eventually (late '80s) changed engines, the new ones worked and didn't randomly explode/fall out of the sky.

And yeah, in looking things up to refresh my memory of the specifics, the last -A model was built for Iran but ended up going to the USN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah TF30s are garbage engines for a fighter but that's all they had that pushed that much thrust at the Tomcats introduction afaik