Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I want to play Nomads next. Please suggest some nomads for me to play. :allears:

867 Khazaria. Reclaim Israel, raise the Third Temple, and restore God's Chosen to dominance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I want to play Nomads next. Please suggest some nomads for me to play. :allears:

Best nomad is 769 Magyars. Hard start, easy finish. Pro-tip, get demoted to a Khan and then subjugate the Byzantine Empire. Instant title swap to a Tengri Basileus

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yabguids in 769 are fun. You aren't big enough to take the Khazars just yet, so push south and east until you're ready. When you're big enough to do a nomad invasion, go after the Abassids, and settle in or burn Persia. Either you're a feudal ruler in an incredibly rich kingdom, or you have literally tens of thousands of gold with only one holding to upgrade.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hard mode for nomads is 769 Otuken. If you manage to not get steamrolled and build yourself into a true power your mongol culture allows you to eventually make your current ruler into the Khan of Khans and establish the Mongol Empire which loving owns. No, your dude doesn't get the vast power of mongol event troops. But there's something extremely awesome about dominating the steppes and eventually having a young, strong ruler go "I'M GENGHIS loving KHAN,. BITCH!"

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 30, 2018

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

binge crotching posted:

Best nomad is 769 Magyars. Hard start, easy finish. Pro-tip, get demoted to a Khan and then subjugate the Byzantine Empire. Instant title swap to a Tengri Basileus

I think they stopped letting Khans subjugate higher tiers.
You've got to get a proper claim on it via marriage or kidnapped princesses now.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The key thing about horse nomads is that they're very fluid, power-wise - yesterday's master of the steppes can be today's rebel on the run, and a minor khan can go from vulture picking away at isolated territories to Scourge of Western Civilization very quickly. If you can build up momentum and preserve the integrity of your personal horde (don't send it into close battles unless you've a really good reason to do so) you can really explode onto the map wherever you start. One big humiliating defeat, though, and you can find yourself fighting for your very survival.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

In my Ironman game, 769 start Ireland, I'm in the mid-1200's. My 11 year old devil-child queen survived the black death. The Aztec Empire has been wiped out by the Catholic Mongol Empire. I inherited Germany for some reason.

I love this game and only want to play Ironman from now on.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Ironman is absolutely the way to go. Before I'd always save before a war just in case things went sideways, but now I have to live with it and it makes the game a whole lot more engaging.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Honky Dong Country posted:

Hard mode for nomads is 769 Otuken. If you manage to not get steamrolled and build yourself into a true power your mongol culture allows you to eventually make your current ruler into the Khan of Khans and establish the Mongol Empire which loving owns. No, your dude doesn't get the vast power of mongol event troops. But there's something extremely awesome about dominating the steppes and eventually having a young, strong ruler go "I'M GENGHIS loving KHAN,. BITCH!"

Then the real Genghis loving Khan shows up and makes you his bitch.

I think I may be done with my Zunbil run, everything is too spread out to effectively manage now. Might mess about with something stupid like 769 Socotra for a bit.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

I think they stopped letting Khans subjugate higher tiers.
You've got to get a proper claim on it via marriage or kidnapped princesses now.

Dang, I guess it's been a little while since I've tried don't it

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jedit posted:

Then the real Genghis loving Khan shows up and makes you his bitch.

I think I may be done with my Zunbil run, everything is too spread out to effectively manage now. Might mess about with something stupid like 769 Socotra for a bit.

Negative. If you form the Mongol Empire yourself they never show up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Xia are a real fun start in 1066, the eastern edge of the map owns bones now

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Oh yeah, I bet there's a ton of stupidity you could accomplish as a horde with china as a part of the game now. Can hordes settle as monastic feudal now?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Oh yeah, I bet there's a ton of stupidity you could accomplish as a horde with china as a part of the game now. Can hordes settle as monastic feudal now?

Monastic feudal requires a Tibetan culture and either Bön or Buddhism as religion. I don't think there's any horde that starts with the right culture, but it's just a matter of converting to your local culture. Once you have the religion/culture combination, you will automatically become monastic feudal provided you're not playing a merchant republic, horde or tribe.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Torrannor posted:

Monastic feudal requires a Tibetan culture and either Bön or Buddhism as religion. I don't think there's any horde that starts with the right culture, but it's just a matter of converting to your local culture. Once you have the religion/culture combination, you will automatically become monastic feudal provided you're not playing a merchant republic, horde or tribe.

Hordes can't change culture iirc, so there's always going to be a time between taking over and converting culture (that requires the India expansion) that the unique buildings will vanish.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Minor annoyance: six years and a dozen expansions in and they still haven't figured out how to be consistent with 'you' versus 'I' in event text. Hire me for the Crusader Kings III style guide, Paradox

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

CascadeBeta posted:

So as someone who's never ventured outside of Christiandom/Paganism, what's an interesting (not ball crushingly hard) start?

The guys who start with Mecca and Medina under the Sunni Caliph but are Shi’a. Hashimids at 867 I think? Either be a loyal but powerful vassal or break off and proclaim your own caliphate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Moving troops around the Arabian peninsula is a pain, however.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Guys, give me things to inspire me to finish my Roman Empire game so I can get the 867-End achievment and maybe SPQR before the new expansion hits.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Honestly I think the SPQR achievement should be your inspiration. It's pretty drat rad to raise the Byzantines out of their slow death clean into the full blown glory of the old Roman Empire. I mean drat they made the Med into their millpond.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It is a bit crazy to think that in the days of the height of the Roman Empire you could walk (and slight ship rides) from the north of England to the coast of China and basically only walk through four countries- Rome, Persia, India, and China.

Even in this day and age you can move faster but deal with more borders.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do I fight the western protectorate? I'm trying to get the White Hun achievement bu shipping all of my troops to the himalayas is impossible and they just siege down all my holdings and instantly get 100 warscore. Should I just like, give literally everything but my personal demesne to a single viceroy so i can just summon my entire army in the himalayas?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUUk6wVNrY

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Honestly I think the SPQR achievement should be your inspiration. It's pretty drat rad to raise the Byzantines out of their slow death clean into the full blown glory of the old Roman Empire. I mean drat they made the Med into their millpond.

It should be but like... there's so much to conquer... Going from memory, I still need to eat a good 80% of Iberia, nearly all of england, the loving balkans which are mostly untied under a Hungarian empire (I think), and then all sorts of bits and pieces spread over africa and the middle east.

All those little conquests take forever when you've got near max threat at all times, and your council is being dumb and not letting you go to war when you're already at war, even though both wars are against rebelling states and thus are piss easy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

It is a bit crazy to think that in the days of the height of the Roman Empire you could walk (and slight ship rides) from the north of England to the coast of China and basically only walk through four countries- Rome, Persia, India, and China.

Even in this day and age you can move faster but deal with more borders.

Related fun fact: at the height of the Mongolian Empire you could start at the Mediterranean Sea and walk to the Pacific Ocean without ever leaving the empire.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
chinese troops being immune to attrition makes me so angry

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

It should be but like... there's so much to conquer... Going from memory, I still need to eat a good 80% of Iberia, nearly all of england, the loving balkans which are mostly untied under a Hungarian empire (I think), and then all sorts of bits and pieces spread over africa and the middle east.

All those little conquests take forever when you've got near max threat at all times, and your council is being dumb and not letting you go to war when you're already at war, even though both wars are against rebelling states and thus are piss easy.

Max threat isn't that big a deal if you're a powerful enough realm. If you're prepared for it, you can sweep up a lot of the coalition troops before they can unite into a few doomstacks.

If your council is being dumb, take some time to clear out any remotely hostile vassals and stack the council with content loyalists instead.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Goddamnit, I just owned myself by pushing my half brother's claim instead of my own. His portrait is identical to mine.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Max threat isn't that big a deal if you're a powerful enough realm. If you're prepared for it, you can sweep up a lot of the coalition troops before they can unite into a few doomstacks.

If your council is being dumb, take some time to clear out any remotely hostile vassals and stack the council with content loyalists instead.

It's also easy to blitz somebody with only a couple provinces before the coalition can get it together.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Main Paineframe posted:

Can't really sit down and do a full purge and re arraignment of viceroyalities, sadly. I'm at the point where I have to stock my council with nothing but kings to keep them from getting overly pissy. They're still useful because I tend to raise their heirs myself, but I just don't have the time to get into the massive civil war I'd need to have to, for example, clean up France and get it under an actual Greek.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Related fun fact: at the height of the Mongolian Empire you could start at the Mediterranean Sea and walk to the Pacific Ocean without ever leaving the empire.

Yep! To this day the Mongols had the largest contiguous land empire in human history. I think Alexander was behind them, then the Romans. I could be wrong though and would absolutely welcome correction if that's the case!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Yep! To this day the Mongols had the largest contiguous land empire in human history. I think Alexander was behind them, then the Romans. I could be wrong though and would absolutely welcome correction if that's the case!

I think the Russians had Alexander and the Romans beat.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is it better to have two counties (in the same duchy) with ten castles, or ten castles spread across ten counties? My first instinct would be to go with the latter because it means you also get ten churches and ten+ cities providing you revenue, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there're some arcane mechanics at play that make this a less than ideal setup.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You def want as many castles in your capital as possible since they get a bonus to their levies. Beyond that it doesn't matter. A castle is a castle is a castle.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
And a castle as the capital of a county is more powerless barons to give you levies and fewer in the hands of problematic vassals.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’m trying my first game ever and playing in Ireland. I just reformed to Tanistry, with a 1066 start. Am I hosed? Should’ve gone another way, I take it, but I guess 10 years of random rule is going to be fun.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Edison was a dick posted:

And a castle as the capital of a county is more powerless barons to give you levies and fewer in the hands of problematic vassals.

I should've been more specific. In the scenario I outlined, I own all the castles, there aren't any vassal barons. All of Ireland except the duchy of Desmond is in my personal demesne (Desmond I gave to a vassal bishop because most of my rulers peter out at ~10 for personal demesne size).

I totally forgot about the capital levy bonus, so thanks to the person above who mentioned it.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I'm nearing the end of my Ireland-Germany game and thinking about converting to EU4.
As far as diplomatic relationships and threat level are concerned, what carries over?

Should I press my claim on the rest of England and Scotland to wrap up my game?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I’m trying my first game ever and playing in Ireland. I just reformed to Tanistry, with a 1066 start. Am I hosed? Should’ve gone another way, I take it, but I guess 10 years of random rule is going to be fun.

Tanistry is fine. It's better than gavelkind, since it gives all your holdings to one heir in your dynasty. It'll probably be some older cousin or uncle, but it'll be fine.

Edit and a bad heir isn't the end of the world. Assuming you aren't trying for a specific achievement, losing and regaining land and then going on your revenge tour part of the loop.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Tanistry is fine. It's better than gavelkind, since it gives all your holdings to one heir in your dynasty. It'll probably be some older cousin or uncle, but it'll be fine.

Edit and a bad heir isn't the end of the world. Assuming you aren't trying for a specific achievement, losing and regaining land and then going on your revenge tour part of the loop.

Cool, is there any point in doing a plot to kill the Tanist if I don’t like the pick?

• Locked thread