Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I have 45 apples saved up right now and intend to use a good amount of those on Nero Fest, but Christmas is where I‘ll do most of my grinding. Need those skill gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the_steve posted:

I just had a random question pop into my head that's probably been answered, but I haven't seen it.

What qualified Emiya to be an Archer class?
I mean, Artoria can be a Saber or a Lancer because her legend involves her having and using those weapons, same with Cu being able to emerge as a Lancer or a Caster.
But, what qualified Emiya to be an Archer class? Or was it more a matter of "That was the slot that was still open when Rin did her summoning" ?

he was really good at archery in school and then was using a bow as a guardian spirit. but the real answer is he wanted autonomy and archers can be more autonomous for some reason. also because he's a fake gilgamesh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also archers are generally the 'all rounder' class, if a servant has a bow at all they qualify for archer even if they're equally skilled at other things

see: tomoe, theoretical archer lu bu and herc

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
It's also mentioned a couple of times in the VN that he has the mindset of an ideal archer. Archery is practiced as a martial art in Japan and some schools have built a whole philosophy around it that involves purging one's mind of all irrelevant thoughts and focusing entirely on correct technique, and in life Emiya embodied that philosophy.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I am now storming the gates of Camelot and, after those previous Gawain and Lancelot fights, am actually a little nervous. Ozy was a surprisingly easy fight?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Transient People posted:

Mage actually (to the surprise of no one, I know). Nasu and Takeuchi's original campaign was an oWoD clusterfuck IIRC. If you know oWoD, this makes absolutely all of the nasuverse suddenly click into place.

I used Mage: the Awakening for a Holy Grail War game. I statted up Servants as really powerful Familiars.

Edit: The lineup was, for those curious:
Saber Tomoe Gozen
Archer Tristan
Rider Grahf von Zeppelin
Caster Solomon
Assasin Qin Shi Huang Di
Berserker Boudicca
Joker Baron Munchausen

This was before I started playing FGO.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Desire Sensor is a motherfucker. I have spent money on this game twice. Once for Nero Bride, and again now for Nitocris. Neither have come to me. I can't be too mad since I have a shitload of other high-desire servants like Okita, Scathach, and NP2 Jalter, but loving come on.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Camelot over, enjoyed it immensely. While I knew some twists ahead of time, there was just enough I didn't that a lot of pleasant surprises were still to be had. Very strong core cast of characters with decent arcs without too much dawdling like in other singularities, with of course very satisfying and cathartic conclusions.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I liked Camelot a lot. I didn't like how heavily it leaned on the whole "You can't beat this person! They are unstoppable!" only to cut to a fight and have Marie pirouette into their skulls until they could do naught but twitch on the sidewalk, Marie walking away on full HP.

... To then have the story demonstrate how resoundingly beaten I was and retreat is the only option. Looking at you, Tristan. Basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVZMxf4E2Q&t=121s

They pulled the ol' "Lose in the game, win in the cutscene" trick.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
also i think i had ptsd when using team france and had to fight a surprise wyvern encounter

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the_steve posted:

I just had a random question pop into my head that's probably been answered, but I haven't seen it.

What qualified Emiya to be an Archer class?
I mean, Artoria can be a Saber or a Lancer because her legend involves her having and using those weapons, same with Cu being able to emerge as a Lancer or a Caster.
But, what qualified Emiya to be an Archer class? Or was it more a matter of "That was the slot that was still open when Rin did her summoning" ?

According to his ingame profile, it's because his abilities as a Heroic Spirit were relatively weak, so he didn't feel that he could go up against Heroic spirits or other hero-grade foes in close combat or in magic. As he fought more of those types of foes as a Heroic spirit and Counter Guardian, his combat style shifted and he eventually came to prefer sniping his targets from afar as his most effective strategy.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Personally, they could give me a whole singularity worth of nothing but Sherlock Holmes delivering crazy Nasuverse exposition and I would lap it up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

thark posted:

Personally, they could give me a whole singularity worth of nothing but Sherlock Holmes delivering crazy Nasuverse exposition and I would lap it up.

I'm only missing a few million QPs to be able to give my Sherlock Holmes his final grail. He's great. :allears:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Main Paineframe posted:

According to his ingame profile, it's because his abilities as a Heroic Spirit were relatively weak, so he didn't feel that he could go up against Heroic spirits or other hero-grade foes in close combat or in magic. As he fought more of those types of foes as a Heroic spirit and Counter Guardian, his combat style shifted and he eventually came to prefer sniping his targets from afar as his most effective strategy.

To go a little bit further (And some Fate/SN spoilers) Shirou only really knows one spell, Trace, which allows him to make copies of mystic weapons. Though they are weaker than their originals, he's still a human wielding a weaker form of, say, Excalibur. When he became EMIYA, his spell became his Noble Phantasm, Unlimited Blade Works, which lets him make thousands upon thousands of these copies at once. Enough to stuff Gil's Gate of Babylon. So, to make up for his weaker stats, he uses swords like Caladbolg as arrows, lets them strike, then detonates them for effect. Or, if he has the magic for it, unleashes UBW to hit them with endless copies.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

That should be the banner of a number of sites, imo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Out of curiosity, did he know in life that Arthur was actually Arthuria?

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
So, real talk, are chains going to be the new bones?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

RanKizama posted:

So, real talk, are chains going to be the new bones?

no

they're less mindnumbing to grind than bones by a ton, with the downside being that they're much rarer (about twice as rare even).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Same here. #MGTOW

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So I just started going through Camelot, and didn't really get why it was being hyped up as the game changer chapter, since it didn't seem much different.

then we went skipping from the typical style of plot with charming pharoah party into hiding and watching a guy mass slaughter fleeing civilians after a woman tore her own head off. Followed by a mass burial.

Yikes

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

To go a little bit further (And some Fate/SN spoilers) Shirou only really knows one spell, Trace, which allows him to make copies of mystic weapons. Though they are weaker than their originals, he's still a human wielding a weaker form of, say, Excalibur. When he became EMIYA, his spell became his Noble Phantasm, Unlimited Blade Works, which lets him make thousands upon thousands of these copies at once. Enough to stuff Gil's Gate of Babylon. So, to make up for his weaker stats, he uses swords like Caladbolg as arrows, lets them strike, then detonates them for effect. Or, if he has the magic for it, unleashes UBW to hit them with endless copies.

Shirou also have a lot of gun imagery in his ruby text when using his magecraft. Emiya actually likes guns quite a lot, hence the image of him with a rifle, and how in CCC his room could have a lot of guns.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I didn't know Emiya's birth family were immigrants from Texas.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Considering grailing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'm going to try and grail all three to 90 if there's enough to go around.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Serenity is fun to use if for nothing else than the fun of watching the game try to figure out what body part she's supposed to kiss in her NP on large non-human enemies.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Omobono posted:

Yes, surprisingly. Of the knights Kay (her older brother), Agravain and Lancelot were the only ones who knew. Agravain seemed to barely consider her human let alone female.

Although statistically speaking Agravain probably had the hots for her anyways. :v:

Unlucky7 posted:

Got started on Septem. It did not begin as nearly as strong as Orleans did, but Nero is ridiculously cute at least.

Also, for gods sake Caligula, PHRASING!

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Serenity is fun to use if for nothing else than the fun of watching the game try to figure out what body part she's supposed to kiss in her NP on large non-human enemies.

The last one I did it to was a dragon neck and it couldn't even show the numbers.

Also

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Cuntellectual posted:

Yes, surprisingly. Of the knights Kay (her older brother), Agravain and Lancelot were the only ones who knew. Agravain seemed to barely consider her human let alone female.

Although statistically speaking Agravain probably had the hots for her anyways. :v:

Didn't Agravain kind of hint at being gay though? He mentioned that he was very glad the one person he didn't want to resent him was a man, unless I misread that bit.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
There's nothing about this I don't like, and that gives rise to concern

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Good Metal Album cover.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Omobono posted:

He knew towards the end. He perceived her as a king rather than a human so as long as she kept being a perfect king, he was chill. He genuinely loved and respected her but that was because she didn't have the same failings as other humans did. Aggy is a very interesting character and I'd like to see more of him eventually.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 2, 2018

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I mean, Camelot, the actual Camelot, is almost explicitly named as being in the Lostbelt, so I fully expect him to be a summonable Servant. Probably him and Kay.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

SC Bracer posted:

He knew towards the end. He perceived her as a king rather than a human so as long as she kept being a perfect king, he was chill. He genuinely loved and respected her but that was because she didn't have the same failings as other humans did. Aggy is a very interesting character and I'd like to see more of him eventually.

Yeah, at first I felt he was pretty one-dimensional, but as the singularity went on, it become obvious that he was pretty complicated in his motivations and his feelings towards the other characters. I'd like to definitely see more of the Round Table's drama, for sure.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Gologle posted:

I mean, Camelot, the actual Camelot, is almost explicitly named as being in the Lostbelt, so I fully expect him to be a summonable Servant. Probably him and Kay.

I would be all for this. It's time to let some of the lesser known Round Table knights have a chance to shine, especially considering all the insanity the first Lostbelt cooked up with Giant Elephant Ivan the Terrible.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Rorahusky posted:

I would be all for this. It's time to let some of the lesser known Round Table knights have a chance to shine, especially considering all the insanity the first Lostbelt cooked up with Giant Elephant Ivan the Terrible.

Plot twist: It's Arthur Proto's round table and it features dark horses like Breunor, Safir and Aglovale instead of the ones we're all expecting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just want dagonet

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Is Fionn Mc Cum Hail any good or did I get spooked when I could have had NP4 Liz? :saddowns: I just want a good single target lancer, please game. I'm drowning in sabers and riders.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Is Fionn Mc Cum Hail any good or did I get spooked when I could have had NP4 Liz? :saddowns: I just want a good single target lancer, please game. I'm drowning in sabers and riders.

There's no ST 4* lancers except Li Shuwen atm and he's the only gold ST lancer available right now, period

you also cannot, whatsoever, roll him outside the story gacha, so if you want one, stop rolling and wait for Summer where Tamamo Lancer and Kiyohime Lancer are both on the same banner.

Anyway...no, Fionn is really bad ATM. His NP gain is so gimped he's pretty much unworkable. He'll get better and reasonably usable in due time but that's a ways away. Right now he's more or less a rare prism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm sorry, he's not. Attendre et espérer, my friend.

Use good dog Cu Chulainn instead.