Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dirk Pitt posted:

Cool, is there any point in doing a plot to kill the Tanist if I don’t like the pick?

He could be a singularly bad successor. Bad traits, maimed, very old, etc. You can roll the dice and see if the tanists decide to elect somebody more suitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I don't think you can plot to kill your primary heir, but I'm not 100% sure. However, going to your laws tab will show the list of candidates, with a helpful list of the people who support each choice...

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The Kinslayer trait would be the worst if you directly plot to kill the person and get caught. There are other ways to avoid that, but it's more RNG. If they suck at stewardship or intrigue and are in your court, you can have them collect taxes/spy on tech in Constantinople and see if they get the "bad option" of getting murdered by peasants or getting castrated by the byzantines.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I know my heirs always get loving killed if I have them lead armies, so you can try that too.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I’m pretty sure it’s your children you can’t kill, not your heir. I know I’ve killed brothers that were my heir post-gavelkind

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
So I've been loving around with Shattered World while I wait for the new dlc. It's going pretty good so far- starting as Constantinople, I've formed the Byzantine Empire and mended the schism, and am well on my way to reforming Rome. Only problem is, oh my loving god there are so many adventurers coming in to gently caress my poo poo up. I can slap them down with my retinues fairly easily, but at any given moment I'm fighting two assholes and have like four more waiting in the wings. And they all have like 30K troops, which is a little ridiculous. Is this because of the mod, the regions I'm playing, or both? I don't mind a few adventurers every once in a while, but it's kinda becoming not fun.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

I’m trying my first game ever and playing in Ireland. I just reformed to Tanistry, with a 1066 start. Am I hosed? Should’ve gone another way, I take it, but I guess 10 years of random rule is going to be fun.

You can game the system by being a king and having either one or zero count/duke-level vassals. If there's a tie in votes, your preferred candidate wins out (and obviously if there're no eligible voting vassals then you win automatically). In effect this gets you a merchant republic-style succession, but it's untenable once you start expanding and surpass your demesne limit. Still, good for an interim government if you're planning on making the switch to primogeniture or ultimogeniture.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Crow Jane posted:

So I've been loving around with Shattered World while I wait for the new dlc. It's going pretty good so far- starting as Constantinople, I've formed the Byzantine Empire and mended the schism, and am well on my way to reforming Rome. Only problem is, oh my loving god there are so many adventurers coming in to gently caress my poo poo up. I can slap them down with my retinues fairly easily, but at any given moment I'm fighting two assholes and have like four more waiting in the wings. And they all have like 30K troops, which is a little ridiculous. Is this because of the mod, the regions I'm playing, or both? I don't mind a few adventurers every once in a while, but it's kinda becoming not fun.

I'm guessing shattered world meant that you hosed over a larger number of dynasties during your rise to power than you would've in a normal game. A bunch of them are floating around with claims on your poo poo and are assembling armies to push their claims in an adventure.

I guess just make sure you're killing as many of those motherfuckers as you can and it'll peter out eventually?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

It's also going to be that any unlanded sons or former lords are going to be looking for large rich realm to conquer, and that's probably a damned short list in your world.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Communist Walrus posted:

I should've been more specific. In the scenario I outlined, I own all the castles, there aren't any vassal barons. All of Ireland except the duchy of Desmond is in my personal demesne (Desmond I gave to a vassal bishop because most of my rulers peter out at ~10 for personal demesne size).

I totally forgot about the capital levy bonus, so thanks to the person above who mentioned it.

Another advantage of stacking castles in a single county is that any of the councilor jobs that boost something (like the marshal's train troops or the stewards collect taxes) will apply to every holding in that county. So you get a pretty major multiplication of your levies if you stick a marshal in your capital with 4 castles in it or something.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Another advantage of stacking castles in a single county is that any of the councilor jobs that boost something (like the marshal's train troops or the stewards collect taxes) will apply to every holding in that county. So you get a pretty major multiplication of your levies if you stick a marshal in your capital with 4 castles in it or something.

Yeah this is a solid move too.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Probably a noobish question about Gavelkind but the wiki's for this game don't seem as well-done as Stellaris.

I want to confirm the following. If I have 2 sons and I don't want one to inherit claims here are my options (I have Sons of Abraham):

A) I can give one son a landed Bishopric, but to do this the son
1) must be an adult and
2) must not have any other landed titles (if he does I can still give him the Bishopric but it won't remove him from succession) and
3) must be unmarried <-- not sure if this matters

B) I can make one son take monk-vows, but to do this he
1) must be in prison and
2) unmarried <-- if he is married can I murder his wife and then make him vow?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RuckusRouser posted:

Probably a noobish question about Gavelkind but the wiki's for this game don't seem as well-done as Stellaris.

I want to confirm the following. If I have 2 sons and I don't want one to inherit claims here are my options (I have Sons of Abraham):

A) I can give one son a landed Bishopric, but to do this the son
1) must be an adult and
2) must not have any other landed titles (if he does I can still give him the Bishopric but it won't remove him from succession) and
3) must be unmarried <-- not sure if this matters

B) I can make one son take monk-vows, but to do this he
1) must be in prison and
2) unmarried <-- if he is married can I murder his wife and then make him vow?

The key to managing gavelkind is to be proactive. Control your dick, man. Sire bastards via seduction or concubines, only legitimize the best one and keep the others in the wings to replace said legit bastard if he dies. Failing that, control their marriage options with the checkbox and clergy up the unwanted sons. Failing that, wait until you're on the verge of death, imprison all the unsuitable heirs, and straight up execute them and eat the Kinslayer trait for a couple years before you're dead.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Concubines give legitimate kids, I thought. They just have a -1 diplomacy trait.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Gavelkind would suck to play under for a whole game but it's not the end of the world if a few rulers have to deal with it before you can change it to something better. You might have to spend the first 5 years of your rule fighting and revoking land from your rear end in a top hat brothers, but that's about it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Goon Danton posted:

Concubines give legitimate kids, I thought. They just have a -1 diplomacy trait.
Yep. They're basically pre-legitimized bastards.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Strudel Man posted:

Yep. They're basically pre-legitimized bastards.

Yeah but you can cast them aside as soon as they produce your One Heir. Sorry I was dumb about how I typed all that up and poo poo out some false information.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Man Nomad Succession is stupid. You can lose the Empire title on death basically randomly but the AI never does. Its supposed to be based on Prestige but uh, my clan has all the land, several thousand prestige and is the lineage of Genghis Khan. The head clan has almost no land, no prestige, no men, etc. And since he has no men, every neighboring power thinks our realm is way weaker than it is, and constantly declares war on us. It should work more like a Republic where if someone else has a chance to inherit you can at least know ahead of time.

Of course you can always choose to overthrow the khan but I can't start a faction to do that for some reason.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I haven't had problems with it. Super importantly though, it only counts the prestige of the specific heir, and only adult men can inherit. If you somehow have a high prestige child, they can't take it no matter what.

e: also I think non-nomad members of your dynasty can't inherit. I had a brother gently caress off and invade Yemen, and now he's out of the line of succession.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

As a nomad I like to pick my heir and have them start a merc company and then immediately hire him. He gets all the prestige from being a merc to ensure that he succeeds me and by keeping him on my payroll it prevents him from converting to a religion I don't want via event.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Honky Dong Country posted:

As a nomad I like to pick my heir and have them start a merc company and then immediately hire him.

What are the financials on that? Do you basically break even because you're paying yourself or is it a slight loss?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What are the financials on that? Do you basically break even because you're paying yourself or is it a slight loss?

I find that usually the merc band is tiny and doesn't cost a lot of loot, but as nomads you're usually not bringing in much cash unless you're raiding, pillaging, or skimming money off of non-nomad vassals. So in other words if you're doing things that are lucrative for nomads the cost is negligible. From my experience like one gold and some change per month? Something in that neighborhood. The brat is usually only packing a couple hundred dudes whenever I do this.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dev Diary on changes to Scandinavia. Not much to it beyond that, though apparently Iceland is being expanded to four provinces and in the 769 start will be inhabited by Irish monks, for the people who've been demanding it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm happy with it as long as I still get to be the berserker lord of Anger Man Land :black101:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I am trying to play a non-Ironman game as the last Merovingian but have the unique problem where people keep trying to give me titles. Charlemagne keeps granting me duchies. Factions keep trying to install me as king.

Any suggestions for ways to slow my rise if I restart? Can I strip myself of claims to stymie the faction wars on my behalf?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

QuoProQuid posted:

I am trying to play a non-Ironman game as the last Merovingian but have the unique problem where people keep trying to give me titles. Charlemagne keeps granting me duchies. Factions keep trying to install me as king.

Any suggestions for ways to slow my rise if I restart? Can I strip myself of claims to stymie the faction wars on my behalf?

Take the power dude. Definitely let it go to your head. Go on a reign of terror and consolidate your grip on your two chosen duchies. Slay your enemies and exterminate their families without relent.

Sooner or later the same people that put you on the throne will be offering to take you back off it again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Honky Dong Country posted:

Take the power dude. Definitely let it go to your head. Go on a reign of terror and consolidate your grip on your two chosen duchies. Slay your enemies and exterminate their families without relent.

Sooner or later the same people that put you on the throne will be offering to take you back off it again.

"Don't you remember why you booted us out in the first place?"

I tried a Merovingian game, twice, and both times within a generation I'd accidentally become a king. It is shockingly easy, though the second time, to be fair, I did marry a daughter of the Lombard king.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

Dev Diary on changes to Scandinavia. Not much to it beyond that, though apparently Iceland is being expanded to four provinces and in the 769 start will be inhabited by Irish monks, for the people who've been demanding it.
I love my Elf Island here but drat, Iceland did not need 4 provinces when two was arguably one too many already

Even if they're all literally one holding making it impossible to raid or something

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I love my Elf Island here but drat, Iceland did not need 4 provinces when two was arguably one too many already

Even if they're all literally one holding making it impossible to raid or something

I'm cool with any given duchy potentially having enough military power to accomplish something under the right circumstances. And Iceland going from two to four provinces could enable them to do something to that effect afaik.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So I began a nomad game, its been a while (last time I did a nomad run, my first and only, was a bit after the Horse Lords DLC). Also, is been almost an year of my last CK2 game, so I might have forgotten how some things work

But this weird thing happened: I have this neighbour who is a buddist tribal (Im buddist myself too), I check his character screen and he's got around 2700 troops, so I think is pretty safe to attack him, cause I got a 3500 nomad army.

So I declare a subjugation war on him and I strike and all is going well, I put his army to run already and Im taking his provinces. When all of a sudden 6K and 5K stacks appear seemingly out of nowhere with his banner. And of course they trash me

His character screen stills says hes got an +- 1500 army. He is got no allies. There's no buddist holy armies yet (nor it would make any sense, cause we have the same faith). Also, he was bankrupt before the war, so I dont know how could he hire mercs

So where that's could be coming from?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What's the name of the army?

e: It might be him calling in other tribes, which function as permanent allies instead of vassals.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Did you check his prestige before you attacked? Tribals have a decision call up a 2500-troop army for 500 prestige any time they're at war, and they can do it over and over if they have the prestige for it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mantis42 posted:

What's the name of the army?

e: It might be him calling in other tribes, which function as permanent allies instead of vassals.

Cant check it now, it inst an ironman game, so I just reloaded. But I think it was just [guys-name] army

Goon Danton posted:

Did you check his prestige before you attacked? Tribals have a decision call up a 2500-troop army for 500 prestige any time they're at war, and they can do it over and over if they have the prestige for it.

hummm, that might be it. No I didint even though of that

edit: yeah, I forgot how tribals work. It was probably one of these 2 possibilities or even both!

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 7, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Aaand unreformed defensive pagans can raise troops for piety too in defensive wars

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

For cheaper, too. 200 piety instead of 500 prestige.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I like how this scene can be applied to multiple different scenarios in CK2

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Considering jumping back into this after a maybe two or three year hiatus.

I only sort of remember how to play, so I'm looking for a good, quick tutorial that might exist and isn't a 14 hour let's play if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, I have these DLC: Sons of Abraham, The Republic, Legacy of Rome, The Old Gods, Sword of Islam, and some misc stuff (Ruler Designer, etc.).

Right now I'm looking at Way of Life and The Reaper's Due because the emergent story element is what I cared about most in the past, but is there anything else I'd maybe wanna look into DLC-wise?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

90s Shoes posted:

Considering jumping back into this after a maybe two or three year hiatus.

I only sort of remember how to play, so I'm looking for a good, quick tutorial that might exist and isn't a 14 hour let's play if anyone has any suggestions.

Also, I have these DLC: Sons of Abraham, The Republic, Legacy of Rome, The Old Gods, Sword of Islam, and some misc stuff (Ruler Designer, etc.).

Right now I'm looking at Way of Life and The Reaper's Due because the emergent story element is what I cared about most in the past, but is there anything else I'd maybe wanna look into DLC-wise?

Conclave overhauls some government systems and gives more depth to internal politics; Monks and Mystics adds secret societies and lets you worship Satan

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

You're going to end up buying all of them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Way of Life and Conclave definitely liven up the non-war parts. Powerful vassals actually start to have a bit more of a presence beyond waiting for them to start a civil war.

• Locked thread